Thread: Are republican voters generally more stupid than democrats in the USA?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Are republican voters generally more stupid than democrats in the USA?

A Swedish newspaper just wrote about the reception of Todd Akins quote on women, rapes and duck anatomics.

According to that survey, 49% thought he should drop out, 28% think he should go on... So far so good, that is statistics I can accept.

However, 8% of the US population actually agreed with Akins. Now that SCARES me. Not only have they heard something and assumed it was true, they must have heard something, assumed it was true, and then 8 out of every 100 people completely missed the backlash.

THAT is what scares me. Not that people assume things they hear from politicians are true, but that they are completely unaware when a whole damn world backlash against it, the overwhelmingly vast majority of their own population as well.

So why did I jab at republicans in my title then?

Well, according to the same source, not 8%, but 13% of republican voters agree with Todd Akins.

Logically for me, that must mean that the notion that Todd Akin might be right is way-y-y-y-y-y-y-y-y-y stronger in the republican line than in the democratic line.

This is not the first time I hear about reality disagreements between the US political blocks... I recall some old poll from some year after the second Saddam war where a STUPID amount of republican voters believed they had found WMD in Iraq, and that Saddam had ties to OBL.

So I wonder... When it comes to factual things, that anyone can prove... How come that American Republicans seem to be way more out of sync with what the world at large believe is "true", than democratic voters?

Are the republican news channels bad at news reporting, or is the somewhat more disturbing notion more true, that the republican channels do propaganda?

Default Re: Are republican voters generally more stupid than democrats in the USA?

This is a loaded question. You need to rephrase it.
    "And if the people raise a great howl against my barbarity and cruelty, I will answer that war is war and not popularity seeking. If they want peace, they and their relatives must stop the war." - William Tecumseh Sherman

“The market, like the Lord, helps those who help themselves. But unlike the Lord, the market does not forgive those who know not what they do.” - Warren Buffett

Default Re: Are republican voters generally more stupid than democrats in the USA?

Quote Originally Posted by rvg View Post
    This is a loaded question. You need to rephrase it.
    It is a loaded question, that's how you generally get people interested in what you have to say.

I have presented some statistics, gave my thoughts on some possible reasons, and opened up for discussion. If you feel strongly about republicans actually having the right idea of things, then by all means state your case and defend your position.

However, if you have a school system that cover these things (like human and duck plumbing) and any sort of access to media channels, and yet STILL can not get a clear picture in your head... I don't know, you tell me. Stupidity? Propaganda? Something else ("American Spirit" comes to mind)?

Quote Originally Posted by Kadagar_AV View Post
    It is a loaded question, that's how you generally get people interested in what you have to say.
    Not if you actually expect to get an answer. Your question pre-supposes that democratic leaning voters are stupid and republican leaning voters are stupider. You won't get very far with a question like that.
    "And if the people raise a great howl against my barbarity and cruelty, I will answer that war is war and not popularity seeking. If they want peace, they and their relatives must stop the war." - William Tecumseh Sherman

“The market, like the Lord, helps those who help themselves. But unlike the Lord, the market does not forgive those who know not what they do.” - Warren Buffett

Quote Originally Posted by rvg View Post
    Not if you actually expect to get an answer. Your question pre-supposes that democratic leaning voters are stupid and republican leaning voters are stupider. You won't get very far with a question like that.
    I pre-suppose that democratic voters are stupid?

I think you read a little too much into the title there... You wouldn't, by any chance, feel like being OT?

OT?