Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mechwarrior

smell the glove Senior Member Major Robert Dump's Avatar

Default Mechwarrior

Anyone playing?

I am not sure how I feel about this whole "buy into the beta" scam, where the more you pay the better starting gear you get. If World of Tanks is any indication, the rewards will quickly become irrelevant. Anyway, I am a loser so I did buy into "closed beta." Apparently when they go Open Beta, for all intents the game is live.

I really do like the mechanics of the game.

also, unlike previous MWs, your arms and torsoe pivot independently, which makes the targeting all the more difficult/fun/annoying. In old games, you turned your whole torsoe to target, and now I gotta remember what I have on my arms vs my torsoe, instead of just spamming the proper hotkey, as both may not be aimed in the right spot.

They have also been slow to fix a bug on their winter map where players crash in and around the tunnel on the north side of the map.

right now they are 8v8 max, but supposedly will take the game up to 12v12, and on automathces they will implement a system where the tonnages are evenly distributed, so you do not end up on a team with 7 Jenners
    Baby Quit Your Cryin' Put Your Clown Britches On!!!

The Anger Shaman of the .Org Content Manager Voigtkampf's Avatar

Default Re: Mechwarrior

It has been a while since I've played MW games, and I am certainly looking forward to this one. Would you say that tactics>twitch moves? I know that you need good reflexes in all games, but I like some strategy and tactics in all my fights, where I can both outplay, outmaneuver and outsmart the opponent. If this Mech is based on that principle, I think I just might love it.

Today is your victory over yourself of yesterday; tomorrow is your victory over lesser men.

Miyamoto Musashi, The Book of Five Rings, The Water Book

Sovereign Oppressor Member TIE Fighter Shooter Champion, Turkey Shoot Champion, Juggler Champion Kralizec's Avatar

also, unlike previous MWs, your arms and torsoe pivot independently, which makes the targeting all the more difficult/fun/annoying. In old games, you turned your whole torsoe to target, and now I gotta remember what I have on my arms vs my torsoe, instead of just spamming the proper hotkey, as both may not be aimed in the right spot.
    I'm not sure if this is exactly what you mean, but in MechWarrior 3 you were able to move your targeting cursor across the screen without rotating your torso. If you tried to fire on something on the far left of the screen, the right arm weapons wouldn't be able to turn that far. This did make playing with the mouse somewhat mandatory IIRC, as aiming was far easier that way.
    In Mech 4 suddenly all the weapons were fixed on the frame and could only be aimed by moving the entire torso, which seemed silly to me.

Camel Lord Senior Member Capture The Flag Champion Martok's Avatar
    In my own little world....but it's okay, they know me there.

I'm not forking over money just to get into the beta, but I have been keeping an eye on this one. I'm a longtime BattleTech/Mechwarrior fan, so I'm hoping this turns out to be good.
    "MTW is not a game, it's a way of life." -- drone

@voit:
    The fights take a long time.
    Twitch is important if you are being swarmed by fast movers and you cannot properly adjust. A well piloted Jenner can easily take out an Atlas driven by Granny, it will just take him 10 minutes. An Atlas vs Atlas fight takes a good while, even standing right in front of each other

So to that end, tactics are important, as the mech who runs off alone gets ganked. Also, there is a base capture element (which needs to be improved) so there needs to be either defenders of a fast QRF who can get back to counter, unless your plan is a full rush as well.

Missle boats are vulnerable unless they configure a balanced mech.

Hardpoints are enables, so there will be no putting AC20s on arms. Hardpoints vary from mech to mech to model#, such as one awesome can put 2 energy per arm, 1 balistic left chest and 3 missles right chest, but another awesome only gets 1 energy per arm, 2 balistic on chest, and 2 missles on other chest, and maybe an energy on head, etc. Not sure I really like this system, but it can be worked around and will probably help stop FTW builds like with MW3 where you could put any weapon on anything anywhere as long as the tonnage fit.

They also have armor caps per hardpoint, which I dont really like. I should have the option to armor the backs of my legs more if I want to, but they are weak no matter what.

The other downside (or good, depending on how you look at it) is that if you know your mechs, you know what to kill on the enemy body. If an atlas is hammering me with dual LBX10s, I know what body part those are on and go straight for those. While you can put ammo anywhere, you can usually make a good guess where a guy stores his ammo based on what you see as his config, if you have that long to think.

The targeting systems also requires spotters for missle locks if you do not have direct view. In other words, a missle boat can lock on to someone elses target. However, if not in line of sight, as soon as your mate changes targets, you will lose your lock, and your missles will miss. I would not say missles are overpowered, but they are annoying as they knock you off blalance, which means you cannot effectively aim. If someone is hitting you with missles and guass, it makes it even worse.

Last I played friendly fire was on.

Also, collision is on. Don't run in front of big mechs. Two med/light mechs collding head to head will both fall over. MAkes for funny spectator modes after you die.

There is also night vision and heat vision if thats your thins

@kral

As mentioned with the hardpoints
    If I have lasers on my arms and ballistic/srms in my chest, i will need to be torsoe dead aimed in order to hit with my ballistic, srms, whereas I can follow a dude with my arms without moving my torsoe. Likewise, if I turn my torsoe to hit, but forget my arms are pointed far left, I will miss with my arms. You cannot, however, move arms independently of one another.
    I used a joystick for MW3. For this one I tried, and it is going to take so reconfigs to get this down. I will probably ending up using the stick on my left hand for movement, acceleration and firing, and I will use the mouse for pivots and locking

Member thankful for this post:

master of the pwniverse Member Fragony's Avatar

It looks interesting, never played a Mechwarrior game before. Console version please

The Anger Shaman of the .Org Content Manager Voigtkampf's Avatar

Thanks, Major, sounds really promising. I recall loving the old Mech games, would like to revisit them!

Today is your victory over yourself of yesterday; tomorrow is your victory over lesser men.

Miyamoto Musashi, The Book of Five Rings, The Water Book

Enlightened Despot Member Vladimir's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Voigtkampf View Post
    Thanks, Major, sounds really promising. I recall loving the old Mech games, would like to revisit them!
    Indeed. I most enjoyed the games that more closely resembled the pen and paper version. It's difficult to fully exploit a certain design with simplified controls. I had an excellent joystick I used for a couple of them. The first one and Mercenaries were my favorite.

I'm hoping this isn't too simplified but the description makes me hopeful. I really enjoy location damage and hope they don't get too fancy with the electronics. Maybe they'll have a Timberwolf for me.

Oh yes. It's set in 3049.
    Last edited by Vladimir; 09-06-2012 at 13:58.

Reinvent the British and you get a global finance center, edible food and better service. Reinvent the French and you may just get more Germans.
    Quote Originally Posted by Evil_Maniac From Mars
    How do you motivate your employees? Waterboarding, of course.
    Ik hou van ferme grieten en dikke pinten
    Down with dried flowers!
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Oh, its not too simplified. I think I spend half my movement time trying to get unstuck from a building or group of trees because my body is facing a different direction than I am moving and I am shooting my friends legs off. In fact, its very frustrating, which is exactly what I look for in a game

I am having a great time playing this game. ?Unfortunately, you will run into the normal PUG vs premade issues when a game is only deathmatches while in Beta. Of course, I also bought into the game, so I got a couple of starter mechs.....

Basically, for a new player, you have to use Trial Mechs to work up enough cash to buy your first mechs. You cannot change their loadout and they do not get mech xp for that model (which you get pilot bonuses for), however the upside is you do not have to repair them....

Repairs are a real problem for heavies and assaults, especially if you use a lot of ammo. When I use my Atlas, I tend to make very little money, break even, or lose a little because of all the damage and ammo costs. Obviously, I make more on a win. For me, its not really devastating because I have other mechs to playt with because I built money so fast, but heed this advice if you play:

When you buy your first mech, make it a light mech. Not just for costs, personally I love playing light mechs. It's utter fun and hijinks to take down an assault mech with a Jenner

Strategist and Storyteller Member Myth's Avatar

Mechwarrior 3

REACTOR ONLINE
    WEAPONS ONLINE
    SENSORS ONLINE
    ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

Ah.. Good times. Where is my Daishi where I need it.
    The art of war, then, is governed by five constant
    factors, to be taken into account in one's deliberations,
    when seeking to determine the conditions obtaining in the field.

These are: (1) The Moral Law; (2) Heaven; (3) Earth;
    (4) The Commander; (5) Method and discipline.
    Sun Tzu, "The Art of War"
    Like totalwar.org on Facebook!

Always wanted to do team play with this. I love being fire support.

Reinvent the British and you get a global finance center, edible food and better service. Reinvent the French and you may just get more Germans.
    Down with dried flowers!

Everywhere I go I see ads for this game. Is there seriously no one at the org playing this? I need partners. Don't make me join an effing clan FFS. I have one guy I play with we just use steam voice chat, easy peasy. I am quickly becoming a legend in this game due to my instinctual ability to block missles volleys with my face. Fear my skillz

I have it installed I think but when I tried the beta some months ago there was no mech configuration and I didn't like the gameplay a lot either, maybe I should try it again.

edit: Oh, I only missed 35 patches apparently.
    Last edited by Husar; 12-07-2012 at 10:21.

"Topic is tired and needs a nap." - Tosa Inu

I GOT UR BACK DAWG

WAY BACK

the "no mech config" is because you have to start out with starter mechs, trial mechs, to build up money to buy your first, which u can configure, etc, and have to pay to repair. Starter mechs are a good way to bank cash

Once you are paying for your own mechs, it becomes in your best interest not to do stupid stuff. Ammo is not cheap, either, and on my ammo heavy mechs I tend to not make much money even when I win. I like the way it is set up. Dying from a critical headshot is the best thing to happen to you when your team will lose, as it is less reapirs for u. Losing both arms, a leg and burning through all your ammo will almost certainly mean you lose money in the match, win or lose as a team. The "hero" mechs and the "founder" mechs get a slight money bonus, as does "premium time" which opffsets thesae money shenanigans
    Last edited by Major Robert Dump; 12-08-2012 at 20:53.

The Black Senior Member Papewaio's Avatar

I started two days ago. Have a million credits, so a third of a way to my first Jenner OR a day away from a Commando.
    Our genes maybe in the basement but it does not stop us chosing our point of view from the top.
    Quote Originally Posted by Louis VI the Fat
    Pape for global overlord!!
    Quote Originally Posted by English assassin
    Squid sources report that scientists taste "sort of like chicken"
    Quote Originally Posted by frogbeastegg View Post
    The rest is either as average as advertised or, in the case of the missionary, disappointing.

Add me. my in game name is Colon Burns. I have one RL friend I play with. We typically initiate voice chat on Steam, and communicate that way. Our normal play time is 6-10pm CST on random nights, but I expect to be getting some day play in over the holidays and when the military releases me and I start back to school. I believe on Steam I am Major Robert Dump

If you opt for the commando, I strongly recommend the ECM version, will make you the prom queen for your team (only 4 mech models get ecm at the moment). Jenners are nice, especially if you throw in the cadillac 10m engine and make them go 139 kph, and they get jump jets which commandos do not. Also keep in mind that the gear you unequip goes into your inventory, so you dont have to sell it, and the downward arrow on the right of a purchasable item indicates you have some in storage. I have not sold any gear yet, and I have 14 mechs, still making purchases, although with high end items like modules and engines I tend to unequip from one and put in another

Mine is Papewaio

Not sure how much game time I will get. I played the minatures game, this online one seems a fairly faithful reproduction.
    Our genes maybe in the basement but it does not stop us chosing our point of view from the top.
    The rest is either as average as advertised or, in the case of the missionary, disappointing.

After tonight I probably won't be able to play for around a week because of my move. Hopefully I will see you on then.

Stranger in a strange land Moderator Hooahguy's Avatar

I downloaded the game, watched the tutorials, played a few rounds. Its pretty tough. Controls are kinda wonky, seems like one would be better off with a joystick or something.
    On the Path to the Streets of Gold: a Suebi AAR
    Visited:
    A man who casts no shadow has no soul.
    Hvil i fred HoreTore

yeah some people play with a joystick, the problem is that you would still need to use your mouse.... so you would have to use the joystick on your off hand since the mouse is used to control the aiming and the arms. I have one and have considered it.....

About to play right now for the last time in a about a week. I will be drinking and driving

Quote Originally Posted by Papewaio View Post
    Mine is Papewaio

Not sure how much game time I will get. I played the minatures game, this online one seems a fairly faithful reproduction.
    theres a lot of guys with that name, bra

i meant on steam, got ur invite on the game

if u want to chat on steam, fair warning, I am mr sexy voice
    Last edited by Major Robert Dump; 12-13-2012 at 02:43.

I play with the sound off as i typically play when the kid is in bed.

=][=

Piloting my Commando B last night I got my first multi kill. I die normally ten times for every kill I get... Commandos are unforgiving training mechs so you learn quick. Humpbacks are much more forgiving.

Anyhow hunted down a Jenner, a Raven and then found the last Dragon (or is it Dragoon?) and stripped out his back armour before the catapults arrived. I did still manage to get the kill :) headshot with three medium pulse lasers.

Nice.

Down with dried flowers!

Still away from my gaming system, at least for a few more days.

PApe, sound helps a lot; I know you gotta listen for the baby, I would recommend a single earpiece..... you can often hear a mechs footsteps approaching before eaither fo you see each other LOS or on the radar, its especially helpful to listen when you are doing hit-and-run capture and standing quietly in one spot..

The baby is due in Jan. Its the wife and seven year old asking for things.

Mind you I can get out the apple buds, they leak sounds both ways.

=][=

Got a Humpback and a Stalker last night in separate games using my Commando.

My kills to deaths have increased 60%. To a whopping 10:64. That's right I've died 64 times baby.

I'd really love a tonnage ratio in there. My Commando is 25 tons and I took out 135 tons of enemies. Sure I killed two and died twice, but my tonnage ratio would be 135:50.

They are talking about putting tonnage matching back into the matchmaking. I can see it both ways, as I have been on fairly cooperative teams in nothing but lights and mediums and we take down an entire team of heavies and assaults.... it all depends on your team, but for the standard PUG vs PUG a tonnage matchup would be good probably, because I have also been on an all-light team vs an all-heavy team and it was very very ugly

Hunchback is probably my favorite work horse, consistent with his loadouts and hardpoints,

But the mech I wreak the most havoc with is my catapult with 6 streak srms. He has various upgrades, lots of jump jets and heat sinks, and has a tendency to levy the finishing blows to a lot of mechs despite not being overly high dps. In a good match I might get 3-400 points of damage and 4 kills. In a bad match, the other team has ECCM and we have no counter, and I run around like a prairie dog unable to fire for 10 minutes

I also like the dual LBX-10 Atlas, although it is kind of novelty, I need to be close, and as soon as the other team figures out what I am then all guns are on me.

I've just modded my Commando ECM. Idea is to provide support to the LRM mechs so they have an additional spotter and anti missile tech to tip the balance.

I have a Beagle to help acquire targets quicker.
    3x Streak SRMs 2, ML

And since focused on supporting Heavies in the back line I put in a 145 XL... I go slower but it allows the beagle and ECM in the mix... And I only drop speed a little and still have to slow down to keep pace with heavies.

Got my first quad kill with the No Underpant(s) variant Commando.

Catapult, Cataphract, Raven and I think a Centurion (two of them had been smashed up).

The Cataphract was charging other team mates and I just cut through his back armour and cored him.

Member thankful for this post:

I am exceptionally happy with the Atlas ECM build. Pap, I am assuming you know about the toggling the two modes of ECM, so I load my Atlas with streak SRM2s and either a couple of AC5s of an AC20. ?I like the dual 5s better as it is more frequent firing, better range and more ammo, I basically pray and spray with 5s at 500m and go for face shots when i get up close. When some knucklehead ecm scout comes rolling in I toggle ecm modes and we lock him with missles.

As an ecm user, are you a little shocked at how frequently your other teammates choose to pretty much go their own way and not stay under the umbrella? Basically, I see that 50% of the time, and as an atlas it is incredibly frustrating. I mean, why NOT stay next to me? Either they dont know or dont care.

Had on e ecm scout run off and die yesterday, then say ecm is useless.... and we are all like "dude, they had toggled ecm mode and uncloaked you, douche"

I have not tried any TAG, Beagle or Narc in conjunction with ECM. I do however, have all the pilot modules purchased with GXP and will not be working to buy one of each module and switch them out from mech. They are pricey, as much as a new engine even. I aklready have the super zoom, next I will get the sensor range and the 360 target
    Last edited by Major Robert Dump; 12-29-2012 at 19:32.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast