Thread: EB II/III on the shogun 2 engine?

Default EB II/III on the shogun 2 engine?

The mod tools have been recently announced over at twc. I wonder if it would open the avenue for massive total conversions the magnitude on EB on the Shogun 2 engine. Perhaps a team member would spare a moment to sate my curiosity?

Default Re: EB II/III on the shogun 2 engine?

there is no surer way to kill a mod than an engine change
    mybe if rome 2 is really modable, all the models from EBII can be ported and the folks here are crazy enough to do it, you might see a EBIII on rome2
    i think this is very unlikely
    be glad if you see a first release of EBII, the amount of work in this mod is enormous enough
    Last edited by fightermedic; 09-28-2012 at 14:24.
    Gott mit dir, dem Bayernvolke,
    Daß wir unsrer Väter wert,
    fest in Eintracht und in Friede
    bauen unseres Glückes Herd;
    Daß der Freund da Hilfe finde,
    Wehrhaft uns der Gegner schau,
    Wo die Rauten-Banner wehen,
    Unsre Farben – Weiß und Blau!

I believe this has been stated previously, but to reiterate: We will focus on completing EBII for M2TW. We will not abandon that project to move on to a new engine. In the case of Rome 2 being sufficiently moddable in the aspects of interest to us, we may or may not do an EBIII for that engine, but in that case, only after EBII is finished.

Member thankful for this post:

Indeed, I've seen quite some mods going down because they changed the Engine. If done before a "finished"(like EB1.2) is out It will cost you(the modder) large chuncks of your fanbase and decreace the grouth of the same as you don't get all the the people who say "hey your first mod was great I can't wait for this one!". Without a good fanbase, modding is actually quite a lot harder.
    An example here would be the "EB" mod for Mount and Blade: they had A version for M&B 0.9 (or was it 1.09?) and then ported to Warband, after M&B was patched(thus became unplayable) there was no stable version of the game and the forum died off mostly.

So IF there will be an EB III then that might be for a contaporary Total war engine, but only after EB2 is "finished" and I wouldn't bet on the EB team being to keen on doing another mod :D

-at least that's what I would do if I were the EB team. ;)
    "Who fights can lose, who doesn't fight has already lost."
    - Pyrrhus of Epirus

"Durch diese hohle Gasse muss er kommen..."
    - Leonidas of Sparta

"People called Romanes they go the House"
    - Alaric the Visigoth

Quote Originally Posted by Mithridates VI Eupator View Post
    I believe this has been stated previously, but to reiterate: We will focus on completing EBII for M2TW. We will not abandon that project to move on to a new engine. In the case of Rome 2 being sufficiently moddable in the aspects of interest to us, we may or may not do an EBIII for that engine, but in that case, only after EBII is finished.
    Exactly what I would have expected to hear, what I think makes sense (and Ca Putt has put forward some strong reasons why it should be so) and also what I wanted to hear. Looking forward to EB2.

Ahh. Sorry for being a muppet, then.

It's great news for the modding community though!

if it´s totally portable as in copypaste beteween medieval and rome two or even eb1 being just copypasted to rome 2 engine then it shouldn´t be that hard if it´s not i´m sorry but i don´t wanna have to wait another 6 years for eb2

Arrogant Ashigaru Moderator Ludens's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Lightbulb Re: EB II/III on the shogun 2 engine?

It isn't straigthforward to port a total-conversion mod from R:TW to M2:TW. Some things can be transferred fairly easily, but others require a lot of work, and to actually remake the mod is something else entirely. That's one of the reasons why the team decided to start afresh. (With hindsight, of course, it is taking a lot longer than planned.)

And M2:TW is simply a development of the R:TW engine. The newer TW games use different engines. Even if CA decided not to reuse the S2:TW engine, the chance that they go back to the R:TW/M2:TW one is nil. Hence we cannot expect any backward compatibility between R:TW and R2:TW.
    Looking for a good read? Visit the Library!

Just chiming in here... It's impossible to simply "port models" and so forth from EB2 to the new engine. The Warscape Engine uses binary coding, and all models are composed of many .variant files within folders within a .pack file. Simply put - they're nothing like the models in Medieval II.

Essentially no scripting, modeling, or even texturing really would survive the journey to the Warscape engine, it's just a different animal. For further weight of authority here, Jack Lusted, the Unit Design Lead on the Total War team has stated in no uncertain terms on twcenter.net that such a conversion is impossible and will not be supported.
    Last edited by MagicCuboid; 10-01-2012 at 07:40.

Wouldn't the Rome 2 engine be more practical? The game would probably already have 90% of the meshes you wanted.
    | BUILD YOUR OWN PC FOR ROME 2 | ROME 2 RESEARCH SOCIETY | ROME 2 BENCHMARKING |
    | ROME 2 TOTAL WAR UNOFFICIAL WEBSITE |
    TJ08-E GAMING RIG
    Intel i5 4670K (4.4Ghz @ 1.215v); ASUS Z87 Gryphon; 8GB Corsair Vengeance Pro; GTX 780; Corsair AX760i; Noctua NH-U12S; Samsung 840 250GB; WD Black 1TB; Windows 8

Well, I'm no modder but Rome: Total War needed a complete overhaul because it was more or less 90% unrealistic. EB2 is taking so long because it's a medieval game and everything needs to be changed, things need to be created and so on.

However, Shogun 2 and Fall of the Samurai are probably CA's most historically accurate games ever. Shogun 2, apart from only a couple of OTT units, is almost perfect in its realism of that period of Japanese history, so much so that it can be slightly boring at times as you know that whatever clan you choose, the starting units and vast majority of later Samurai units that unlock as the game progresses are all identical. Only a tiny handful of unique units exist for each clan, the rest are shared.

If Rome 2 has that same realism, or even anything close to it, then the EB team really won't have much to do. All CA have to do is resist "hollywoodizing" the Romans by giving them Lorica Segmentata, the Gauls and Germans by making them bare-chested, culture-less savages and the "Egyptians" by giving them a Pharaoh theme. If they do this then seriously the EB team wouldn't have much work to do.
    EBII has finally released. All hail the EBII team!

Barcid General Member [cF]HanBaal's Avatar

probably not on the right topic but i really hope RTW2 is moddable enough coz it will already be a great game to start with. According to the latest official info we will have a 700 units + limit and probably more room for factions than ever before. I'll copypaste a post i put on the rtw2 forums.

For those who didn't notice we have been geting more official details here:
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=548136

Hello all,

Apologies for the delay since the last update to this thread I have been away on holiday.
    Looking at the response to my interview in the latest Rally Point episode I thought I would respond to some of the questions that people had after it.

Q. Are there really going to be around 700 units in Rome II?
    A. Yes, with all the land units, mercenaries, auxiliaries, artillery and ships there will be around 700 units in Rome II.

Q. How much does the unit list and the look of units vary across the map?
    A. Whilst there are areas where there will be similar units (siege engines with different looking crews for different cultures) we really want to emphasise the variety in the time period Rome II covers.

An example of this would be to compare the unit rosters we will have for the Germanics and the Gauls. They both have unique unit lists, and whilst there are some similar missile units and low level spearmen, they are big differences as well. Visually they will also look very different, armour and helmets being very rare for the Germanics and fairly common for the Gauls, different hair styles, different shield shapes and patterns etc.

Q. I bet most of those are DLC units aren’t they?
    A. No that is the number that will be in the game when it launches.

Q. As the Greek cities are not going to be a single faction anymore but broken up into various different factions, will same be true of other factions from Rome II such as the Gauls or Britons.
    A. There will be a lot of factions in the game and yes factions that were previously grouped together as one such as the Gauls will be split up into many tribes along with other cultural groups such as the Iberians, Britons etc.
    Unit Design Lead on the Total War team.
    These are GREAT news. Iberian,gallic,germanic tribes represented individually with plenty unique units for each faction. For all EB fans and history fans this is great!!
    "I swear so soon as age will permit I will use fire and steel to arrest the destiny of rome" - Hannibal Barca at the age of 9, ca238BC

"Against those who have incurred the wrath of God" - Genseric, King of the Vandals, ca455CE, replying to his helmsman whither he should steer. His fleets now yearly sailed from his new capital Karthadast. The whole of Africa, Sicily, Sardinia, Corsica and the Balearic Islands quickly fell in his hands. Then he sacked Rome. For 14 days and nights Genseric pillaged the city and returned to Karthadast, carrying much booty and many thousand captives, the empress and her two daughters. The city and the people were spared. Yet, they are the 'vandals'.

Quote Originally Posted by [cF]HanBaal View Post
    These are GREAT news. Iberian,gallic,germanic tribes represented individually with plenty unique units for each faction. For all EB fans and history fans this is great!!
    I agree. All of a sudden 2013 looks like it's going to be a completely awesome year for PC gaming. If they give us all that and just resist Hollywoodizing the Romans, Egyptians and western "barbarians" then I'll be in video game heaven.
    EBII has finally released. All hail the EBII team!

That's "Chopper" to you, bub. Member DaciaJC's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by I_damian View Post
    I agree. All of a sudden 2013 looks like it's going to be a completely awesome year for PC gaming. If they give us all that and just resist Hollywoodizing the Romans, Egyptians and western "barbarians" then I'll be in video game heaven.
    Between Rome 2, Company of Heroes 2, EBII, and most likely Mount and Blade 2, yes, it's gonna be a knockout year [of the twos :D].
    Last edited by DaciaJC; 10-06-2012 at 16:33.
    + =

3x for this, this, and this

Member thankful for this post:

Too bad the world ends in dec/2012 ;)

I am glad with the confirmation that developers will first focus on completing eb2 for medieval 2 total war. Still hoping they will somehow give us the "demo" version of the game.

Anyone else watched the full Siege of Carthage vid yet? Yes, this new engine looks pretty but in all honesty, the Medieval engine is far more suitable for the realities of war in the EB timeframe. And that's saying something...
    As for their visual accuracy, I think the first few seconds of the video says it all -_- The rest is full of lazy inaccuracies.

At this point there's still time, but I'm thinking it's a no hoper.
    X3 From The Blacksmith, d'Arthez and The King for my Keltoi reproductions and dressing up.

I'm always around here lurking in the shadows; not as easy as it sounds when wearing this much shiny iron :)