Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: [CK2] El Cid Campeador

Revoluntary Forum Administrator Tiaexz's Avatar

Default [CK2] El Cid Campeador

El Cid Campeador
    Crusader Kings 2 Succession Game

Greetings and welcome to El Cid Campeador! This is a succession game starting with the character of El Cid, real name: Rodrigo Díaz de Vivar.

Starting in 1 January, 1094 as the independent Count of Valencia, the players will have an up hill struggle against the Moorish hordes to unite Hispania under the yoke of Christendom. The aim of the game is to make the dynasty of El Cid the Emperors of a Christian Hispania before the game end date or to die trying.

Sign up if you are interested, the person who will start with El Cid will be randomised.

Rules:
    No console commands
    No save editing
    No memory/hex editing
    Vanilla Crusader Kings updated to latest version
    Keep chat civil and it is ok to lose if you don't do it intentionally.
    Upload your save in this thread after your turn and PM the person after you to inform them it is their turn.

Signed up so far:
    Tiaexz
    The Stranger
    Arjos
    Psychonaut
    rickinator9
    Monk
    Last edited by Tiaexz; 09-16-2012 at 21:47.
    Belief doesn't change facts. Facts, if you are reasonable, should change your beliefs.

Self-Help Leaflets: Handy for many occasions.

One of the Undutchables Member The Stranger's Avatar

Default Re: [CK2] El Cid Campeador

ill sign up.

i prefer to be one of the first if thats not a problem with anyone else

We do not sow.

COYATOYPIKC Senior Member Flatout Minigame Champion Arjos's Avatar
    Prisoners upon this rock, flying without wings...

¡Vamos!

Senior Member Senior Member naut's Avatar

Sure. I don't want to be too early. I'm a turtler by nature, so anything too early and nothing will get done. =P
    BD:TW

Some piously affirm: "The truth is such and such. I know! I see!"
    And hold that everything depends upon having the “right” religion.
    But when one really knows, one has no need of religion. - Mahavyuha Sutra

Be as passers-by. - Jesus of Nazarath

Freedom necessarily involves risk. - Alan Watts

Annoyingly awesome Member Cell-Out Champion, Booger Flick Champion, Virus Champion, Barts Watersports Adventure Champion, Run Sam Run Champion, Fun Santa Champion, Speed Cards Champion, Yankee Go Home Champion rickinator9's Avatar

I want to join too. I don't really have any preferences as for the time I will be starting.
    rickinator9 is either a cleverly "hidden in plain sight by jumping on the random bandwagon" scum or the ever-increasing in popularity "What the is going on?" townie. Either way I want to lynch him. - White Eyes

The Abominable Senior Member Fall Down Champion, Hexxagon Champion Monk's Avatar

El Cid is in all likelihood an impossible game. A LOT of things can go wrong in the first few months since you're one of the few CK2 one province minors. Still... if we can survive the first few years this will be incredible fun. I'm in.
    Last edited by Monk; 09-15-2012 at 02:00.
    "I do not think there is any thrill that can go through the human heart like that felt by the inventor as he sees some creation of the brain unfolding to success.. such emotions make a man forget food, sleep, friends, love, everything"
    ~ Nikola Tesla
    [CK2- Mod] Equality and Balance
    A refined vanilla experience
    Forum Thread

Indeed, that starting position with the Almohad Caliphate at the door is scary. I think out best option is to swear fealty to a large empire and work our way from the "inside" so to speak :P

The Abominable Senior Member Fall Down Champion, Hexxagon Champion Monk's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Arjos View Post
    Indeed, that starting position with the Almohad Caliphate at the door is scary. I think out best option is to swear fealty to a large empire and work our way from the "inside" so to speak :P
    They are one of the more powerful factions in the game at that start date as they are just about reaching their apex.

The Almoravids are really scary in vanilla with a 13k levy before you take mercenaries into account. Staying independent is suicide imo. Eventually one or more of the muslim factions are going to jump you, and while it's true the northern Christians WILL help you, you still have to prevent the AI from hitting 100% warscore. Since we only control Valencia, the AI can do this within 3 months of sieges and we will have no choice but to auto accept surrender and lose.

The best course of action would likely be to swear fealty to Alfonso VI in Castille and slowly build claims againast the OPM muslims who occupy Aragon and Valencia. From there we can work marriages to gain a crucial foothold in the succession lines of other duke tier titles. After that it's a matter of playing the plotting game correctly, getting lucky with our liege and his wars (if he loses a couple big wars we might be done for) and choosing the right time to strike.
    Last edited by Monk; 09-15-2012 at 09:58.
    "I do not think there is any thrill that can go through the human heart like that felt by the inventor as he sees some creation of the brain unfolding to success.. such emotions make a man forget food, sleep, friends, love, everything"
    ~ Nikola Tesla
    Forum Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Monk View Post
    El Cid is in all likelihood an impossible game. A LOT of things can go wrong in the first few months since you're one of the few CK2 one province minors. Still... if we can survive the first few years this will be incredible fun. I'm in.

let me start :D ill have half of iberia before i die... unless el cid is already an old man when it starts, in that case is it allowed for the first player to play his heir also? :P

will there be any rules? ofcourse no cheating etc but what about exploits, family killing etc.

what patch will we play? can we start today? im going to start today :D

man u guys got me all excited while i should be studying?

i will play on 1.6b vanilla, because i dont know if everyone has sword of islam.
    Last edited by The Stranger; 09-15-2012 at 12:35.

We do not sow.

Quote Originally Posted by The Stranger View Post
    let me start :D ill have half of iberia before i die... unless el cid is already an old man when it starts, in that case is it allowed for the first player to play his heir also? :P
    Cid is 54 at the start, or around there, but he has a full grown male as his heir and at least 2 young girls. So there's no immediate danger of his death and a game over. The biggest concern is honestly the Almoravids and dodging their inevitable DOW
    Last edited by Monk; 09-15-2012 at 12:58.
    ~ Nikola Tesla
    Forum Thread

no i mean, since we play one ruler each, but if you start an old man, thats bit lame :P you only have like 10 years max to play even if you keep him out of battle and from other dangers :P

We do not sow.

omfg a crusade for andalusia has been called and i cant join it... =____________= cuz im already at war with that ruler :O

We do not sow.

ok, first try i got annihilated after a few months.

second try went alot better!

I played El Cid, and his son, because El Cid died of old age after 1 year.

Story:

I bethrothed my heir to a princess of scotland, and my 2 daughters to the king of england and norway. I plot killed my wife to marry the sister of the king of Castille to get an alliance. in the end this proved a rather futile move but at the time it seemed great to have the king of castille join my war in the defence for Valencia! They proved a worthy ally and the count of Cordoba was easily defeated. I got paid 170 for war reparations and with this money i hired the Catalan Band and attack the other muslim count of Valencia to claim my duchy! in the winter of 1095 El Cid died and his son Diego de Vivar took over. Meanwhile a crusade for Andalusia had been called. As Rodrigo i couldnt join because i was tied up in a war against the Almoravids already because i was aiding Castille (and you cant declare war on the same ruler twice). But as a gift from heaven Rodrigo died not much later so I wasnt too late to partake in all the fun!

Now that part was all played in one go, no reloading or anything. but i was determined to get king of andalusia only there was a problem, i was second in terms war score in the crusade -__- so i tried a few times to get it right, 3 times actually but i did get it right :P this is the result:

the crusade was going well for the christians because some powerful nations joined and the almoravids seemed to care more for the offensive war they were waging against castille than to defend against the crusade. i got second in the score of aiding the crusade but i couldnt overtake the duke of toulouse who was like 2.5% ahead. i decided to have him murdered when the score was near 99% and i got it right the first time i tried, this was so lucky because i didnt have any more money than 250 (i had to imprison and banish all my vassals and courtiers to get the 250 :P) the crusade ended a few days later and tadaaaa

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	king of andalusia.jpg 
Views:	186 
Size:	358.7 KB 
ID:	7163

i personally never have a problem with trying out different paths to see how i can beat a challenge, but i know some people have issue with reloading even if its not to affect the outcome of a war (i never reloaded to avoid battle or whatever, just to try out different ways to get ahead in warscore) so if you would say this is invalid i would just start over or continue from the death of Rodrigo :P
    Last edited by The Stranger; 09-15-2012 at 16:32.

We do not sow.

Well, looks like the stranger has been practising in excitement!

If anyone feels being drawn "first" is a big loss, I will be willing to do it and that person can play the heir, but I guess this is it!

I will random.org in a minute.
    Belief doesn't change facts. Facts, if you are reasonable, should change your beliefs.

Alright, the first person is @Monk! If worse goes for the worst, the player after can start a new session.

As I said in post before, if you are wanting the possibility of longer turn Monk, I can play El Cid then you take over the heir (and forfeit my place in the queue).

Just remember to write about your reigns and add and screenshot here and there so people know about your characters goals and ambitions for the dynasty.

Most important rule of all, have fun!

Strategist and Storyteller Moderator Myth's Avatar

Hey guys, sorry for intruding on your thread, how does CK2 compare to CK + Deus Lo Vult? I've played the original for a time but once I discovered TW games I abandoned it.
    The art of war, then, is governed by five constant
    factors, to be taken into account in one's deliberations,
    when seeking to determine the conditions obtaining in the field.

These are: (1) The Moral Law; (2) Heaven; (3) Earth;
    (4) The Commander; (5) Method and discipline.
    Sun Tzu, "The Art of War"
    Like totalwar.org on Facebook!

Quote Originally Posted by Tiaexz View Post
    Alright, the first person is Monk! If worse goes for the worst, the player after can start a new session.

As I said in post before, if you are wanting the possibility of longer turn Monk, I can play El Cid then you take over the heir (and forfeit my place in the queue).

Just remember to write about your reigns and add and screenshot here and there so people know about your characters goals and ambitions for the dynasty.

What, and let you have all the fun of playing the Cid? No way!

I'm gonna have to give this one some serious planning if I intend to have us survive as more than just lapdogs of Alfonso VI.

Hey guys, sorry for intruding on your thread, how does CK2 compare to CK + Deus Lo Vult? I've played the original for a time but once I discovered TW games I abandoned it.
    We have an absolutely huge CK2 mega thread in The Arena, it's over 25 pages long. Our general consensus is that we love this game to pieces: Crusader Kings 2 was at launch the most bug free and complete game that Paradox had ever managed to release, and they've continued to update it almost every month.

After Sword of Islam (which introduced a few balance issues I'm not exactly happy about) their updates slowed. Likely because the main dev team has moved on to EU4, but the second expansion, Legacy of Rome, is due out soon.
    Last edited by Monk; 09-17-2012 at 12:48.
    ~ Nikola Tesla
    Forum Thread

Alright, the first person is @Monk! If worse goes for the worst, the player after can start a new session.

:D yea ive conquered iberia now so it would be no fun for someone to play after =____= i got too excited i think

anyway whats the lineup after monk?

We do not sow.

You would be third, The Stranger. I will stick to sign up order.

What, and let you have all the fun of playing the Cid? No way!
    It was more in-line with The Strangers comment earlier saying he disliked the idea of starting first with a few years,I only offered incase it was such a big issue for people.

What. A. Ride.

My god. This is certainly one of the most difficult and luck based starts featured in this game, without a doubt. Just as I anticipated, Rodrigo faces an incredibly rough situation before him. However it's not nearly as impossible as I believed it to, likely thanks to the entirely random nature that this game can sometimes throw at you. But more on that in the write up!

I disabled all my DLCs in the launcher before starting, including my dynasty packs and portraits. This is a pure Vanilla 1.06b playthrough to the best of my ability, so that should help keep save conflicts to a minimum. Here is the save file for whoever ends up next in line. http://www.mediafire.com/?cs2prhh05ijr8tg

Rodrigo Díaz de Vivar.
    b. 1043 – July 10, d. 1101 - August 19
    Ruled the realm of Valencia: 1094 - 1101

The Fall of the Almoravids and the Rise of El Cid

After his defeat at the hands of the Almoravids years prior, Alfonso VI, King of Castille, worked tirelessly to consolidate his position of power and rebuild his armed forces. He had been spared total defeat by a fortunate windfall in the form of Almoravid infighting in northern africa, but he knew such a respite could not last. So too did "vassal" of the good Castillian King, Rodrigo Diaz de Vivar, The Cid, who ruled in Valencia. Although Rodrigo was technically ruling the small principality in the name of Alfonso, he was de facto independent, a fact that was both a blessing and a curse to the aging soldier.

The levies of Valencia would not hold back the tide should war be thrust upon the fledgling principality, and counting on Alfonso to ride to her aid? Rodrigo and Alfonso had never quite saw eye to eye with one another going all the way back to the King's assent to power, which had been shrouded in treachery and rumors of fratricide. Upon the shores of the mediterrainian The Cid stood, officially in the name of Castille, but very much alone. Still, he had lived a good life. A long life by the standards of the time, nearing the ripe old age of 57. If the status quo had reigned in Valencia in her neighbors, it's not at all unlikely that The Cid would have welcomed a peaceful life, in out of the way Valencia. That is, until the great insurrections of 1095

Nine years prior to the great revolts, the emirs of southern Iberia had surrendered their independence to the Almoravid Sultanate of Northern Africa. More than that, they had done so gladly! With the growing power of Castille in the north beneath Alfonso VI many saw it as their only chance for survival, yet life under the Almoravids had proven to be unlike what many had envisioned. Facing increased revolts and strife at home, the Sultan had levied new taxes his Burgher and Feudal vassals of Iberia. Increasingly, he attempted to expand the powers of his central government as his soldiers struggled to pin down malcontents within his own borders. Eventually.. it all led to an inevitability.

Tensions explode between the emirs of Al-Andulas and the Almoravids
    March 1095

The southern emirs chose to take their chances against Castille rather than see their freedom of rule further and further restricted. Southern Iberia was set aflame with the fires of war, from Seville to Granada, the revolters struggled against their former liege and one another. When news reached Valencia of the insurrection, The Cid could barely believe it. He had been in the process of drawing plans and building alliances for a little over a year. Preparing for the inevitable mail fist of the Almoravids to attempt to smash his city. A strike that would never come, it seemed...

Without support from Castille, The Cid knew Valencia could never hold out. Alone, Valencia and it's seven hundred stalwart defenders would not even provide a bump in the road to the oncoming army of the Almoravids, which at this time, numbered close to 13,000 men and horses. As a matter of his, his house's and his county's survival, Rodrigo had built a powerful web of alliances with neighboring rulers hoping beyond hope that it would be enough to hold back the tide. In the first of many of these power plays, his son and heir Diego Rodriguez had been married to Felicia d'hautville of Sicily, who was the daughter of Duke Roger I.

Duke Roger of Sicily, ardent ally of The Cid.

Roger knew all too well the growing power of the Almoravids was something to fear. As the Almoravid power grew along the coasts of Africa, Sicily came closer and closer to the threat of an all out war. A war with a power it could not hope to win alone. The two made their alliance official in August of 1094, just as the rumors of discontent within Al-Andulas began to stir. The Cid's preperations did not end there, however. In the north of Alto-Aragon, King Pedro Jimena ruled the small Kingdom of Aragon. Blessed with many sons but only moderate power, he was still an obvious choice for an ally in stopping the rise of the Almoravids. Maria, youngest daughter of Rodrigo, was promised to Ramiro Jimena in a matralineal betrothal.

Young Ramiro of Aragon, together with his future wife Maria, is the glue that holds the Aragon-Valencian alliance together.

But still, one last power play was to be made. One that, as it turns out, would secure Rodrigo's borders in a way that he had never anticipated. King William II of England, worried not only with the growing power of the Almoravids, but also that of Alfonso in Castille, began to seek allies to help him curb both parties eventual growth. His search led him to The Cid, who together with the Duke of Sicily and the King of Aragon seemed ready to not only fight the Almoravids but perhaps even able turn them back. Day and night The Cid trained his personal levies in the art of war. Day and night he made preperations for campaigns that may never even be fought, testing theory against practice and throwing it all out to start again the next day. It must have been a sight to behold. Before the uprisings, William saw Rodrigo as a way to build a foothold in Iberia. A way to outmaneuver France and continue building the power of his kingdom.

William II betrothed to Elvira, oldest daughter of Rodrigo Diaz de Vivar, The Cid.

After the great revolts in Al-Andulas.. William saw Valencia as his growing proxy. A puppet to control, to support, and perhaps later seize. It's ironic that as history unfolded the exact opposite ended up happening.

With his position finally secure against external threats in, Rodrigo continued to draw up plans for the defense of his principality should the worst come to pass. However, the Great Insurrection of 1095 would change everything. Instead of facing a united enemy in the form of the Almoravids, The Cid now looked out from his city of Valencia to see war consuming the land. Who would rule the lands of the south was no longer a certainty, and perhaps the aging soldier gazed upon the growing turmoil and thought.. why not me? At home, Valencia was a shining beacon of peace and prosperity. His army, while small, was incredibly well trained. His administration, which had both Christian and Muslims working together across various positions of power, was running smoothly and turning a profit. Why not indeed! In July of 1095, Rodrigo sent the call to his allies.. the war for Iberia had a new player.

The Cid and his allies declared a holy war upon the Yahaffid Emirate, which occupied both the counties to the direct north and south of Valencia. If the city's borders were ever to be fully secure, this was the first step. El Cid Marched from Valencia into the north and met a small detachment of men from the Yuhaffid Emir, whom he easily defeated and laid siege to the city. Joined by his Sicilian allies the county fell shortyly after, but the war would not be so easily won.

Many of the surrounding Emirs who neighbored Valencia declared their support for their besieged allies in the Yuhaffid. And soon, The Cid found himself at war with three seperate factions, all of which were powerful in their own right! Yet his careful planning and powerful alliance allowed him the strength to see the day to its end. Soon reinforcements from the English arrived spoiling for a fight, and as a combined enemy force of over three thousand men marched on Valencia, The Cid and his coalition stood ready to defend the city.

The Battle of Valencia - September 17th, 1096

The allied forces of the Muslims were unilaterally crushed by The Cid and his coalition. Rodrigo himself is recorded as having held the center against a vicious attack of the Cordoba shock troops before the superior numbers of the English and Sicilians allowed the day to be won. The greatest victory won and the siege of his home broken, the Cid pressed his advantage and turned the victory into a full route for the enemy. With much of his enemies' strength broken, El Cid consolidated his victory and secured the entirety of what many historians consider the "Duchy of Valencia" beneath his de facto control.

From the time of the first hostilities in the summer of 1095, until the war's official closure some five years later, Rodrigo Diaz de Vivar was relentless in his campaigns to expand the reach of his power. The county of La Mancha, directly to Valencia's west, fell to Rodrigo's coalition of allies nearly one year to the day after the great Battle of Valencia. Swelled with pride not only in himself but that of his allies and his forces, The Cid invaded Almansa six months after his subjugation of La mancha. Unfortunately, The Cid's love of leading his men by example would prove to be his own downfall..

The Cid is wounded in a skirmish outside of Almansa,
    his cousin Alvar is forced to lead the final charge against the enemy in his stead

Rodrigo was gravely wounded in a skirmish against enemy forces in Almansa. Though he would survive the day and go on to assert his rule over the failing emirate, the ultimate pride of leading the siege himself would have to be foregone. Rodrigo was forced to return to Valencia in order to fully recover as his cousin, Alvar, lead the coalition's efforts in tracking down and eliminating rebels throughout his newly formed domain. With the fall of Almansa and Rodrigo's severe injuries suffered at the skirmish, the five year long campaign against the independent rulers of Al-Andulas at last came to a close. It was the year 1100 now, but when Rodrigo looked out from his great city of Valencia, he no longer saw enemies in every direction he looked. Instead, he saw his own lands.

Iberia 1101 - showing Castille, Valencia, Aragon and many other minor powers of the peninsular

It was a time now to be at ease. To build. To consolidate and rule his newly forged domain and let his people rest. Unfortunately, it would seem that the one who needed rest the most was Rodrigo himself. Having never fully recovered from the wound suffered at Almansa, Rodrigo's health steadily declined over the next year of his life. In 1101, he passed, and left behind all that he'd won to his eldest son Diego...

Last edited by Monk; 09-17-2012 at 17:11.
    ~ Nikola Tesla
    Forum Thread

Awesome!
    I tried some warm-up starts too in these days and never saw the Almoravids collapse lol
    Maybe because I didn't turn off the DLCs, still I managed to take the Duchy of Valencia, Mallorca, Menorca and I'm about to take over the islamic ruled regions to the north. All in all, El Cid offers quite an interesting game :)

Good Luck to Diego "Tiaexz" and tutor El Cid's progeny well XD
    Last edited by Arjos; 09-17-2012 at 17:48.

so its me now? or whos next?

We do not sow.

so its me now? or whos next?
    Well if you are third as you told me in your PM, i guess that makes Tiaexz second. I'll send him a message now so he knows.
    ~ Nikola Tesla
    Forum Thread

damn :D i think diego can take hispania in his lifetime hehe

you did better than i with El Cid, tho diego is young and has like 30 years atleast if not alot more

england is such a nice ally early on!
    Last edited by The Stranger; 09-17-2012 at 18:30.

We do not sow.

damn :D i think diego can take hispania in his lifetime hehe
    Biggest challenge is going to be Castille and the resurgent Almoravids. We got REALLY lucky and they've lost a lot, but the AI is a cagey beast. I don't think we've seen the last of the Almoravids, not by a long shot.

Quote Originally Posted by Arjos
    Awesome!
    I tried some warm-up starts too in these days and never saw the Almoravids collapse lol
    Maybe because I didn't turn off the DLCs, still I managed to take the Duchy of Valencia, Mallorca, Menorca and I'm about to take over the islamic ruled regions to the north. All in all, El Cid offers quite an interesting game :)

Good Luck to Diego "Tiaexz" and tutor El Cid's progeny well XD
    It took six attempts before i figured out a good combination of alliances to even have a glimmer of hope for remaining independent. I didn't want to swear fealty to Castille but each time I tried to stand on my own feet, i got a game over. This time we got insanely lucky. My alliance was built to stand against the Almoravids, instead, we got to use it to smash around a few minors and carve out a principality worthy of The Cid.

You're right though, Rodrigo's start date can absolutely go either way. It takes a TON of planning to even get as far as I did, which when you look at the size of our northern neighbor is still a long way from done. The fact that the Almoravids lost their foothold in Iberia was an amazing stroke of luck. When i saw it happen I knew The Cid's time had come.
    ~ Nikola Tesla
    Forum Thread

england is a must, the rest is really whats available or how far you want to go :P i killed my wife to get an alliance with the jimenas of castille hehe

We do not sow.

My ruler would not die. Lived to the ripe age of 80 and was going strong. My heirs all died before me, with the next in line being 64. I did The Stranger a favour by going elective and picking some youngun to take over, he will need it due to several of my policies going to hit a "mid-game crisis" (since they focused on short and long-term goals)

But other than that, he has inherited a very strong position, mostly thanks to the policies of Monk.
    (Having England fighting your expansion wars worked brilliantly)

Though I slowed down abit just to stabilise the Kingdom and give the players after me something to do.
    Last edited by Tiaexz; 09-18-2012 at 00:13.

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    Advanced viewing of pictures and saved file. Going to do write-up when free.
    http://imgur.com/a/Lafgk

AndalusiaFinal.zip

The Reign of King Diego of Andalusia, Heir of El Cid

Now, this is a tale of a young man, a man who inherited a great destiny from his father, one fraught with challenges and times when he weep at the sight outside of his window. It is this young man which was emboldened by the years to do great things, things he could never possibility have dreamt. For such a tale, we have to start at the beginning.

Diego was a humble boy, he was no extra-ordinary gifted one, following his great father's footsteps on a donkey as he had a more religious meaning in his life. His father was a great warrior, one who obviously basked in the glory of God, bringing forth his righteousness those the unbelievers, some one who could bring about miracles. In the final days, his father carved out a small holding on the Spanish coast, nothing much greater than a warlord, a count only in name. El Cid constantly showed that merit was thicker than blood, something this young boy was hard pressed to match.

In the early days of his reign, rebellions sprung up in the provinces and the Muslim leaders, feeling humiliated by the antics of his father, decided to bright forth their holy wrath upon the boy. The Hammadid's of Algeria declared a holy war to establish their own foothold and ambitions upon Iberia, their ships pulling up and striking hard against the shoreline. El Cid left the coffers empty for the young man who is now desperately retreating backwards further inland, but there is something El Cid gifted his son which was worth more than material worth, a man's honour. The Kingdoms of England and Siciliy saw the plight of Count Diego, and renewing their promises to his father, El Cid, came in riding upon the waves to rescue Iberia from the Hammadid threat.

The waves of new forces from Sicily and England brought much needed reinforcements, crushing the Muslim forces and sending them back into the sea where they thus came from. The leader seeing himself surrounded by the forces decided to accept a white peace, cursing El Cid for his influences from the grave.

Diego, the Child of El Cid did have some ambition though. Upon the feasting table with his allies, upon renewing the ties of alliance and fealty with gifts and marriage, they set forward to create a plan, a plan to cast the Muslim forces off Iberia and bring the realm back into the yoke of Christendom. In the south, the Emir(?) of Granada passed away, leaving the realm under the control of his young son. Many of the surrounding powers have taken this as an opportunity to strike, especially the powerful Kingdom of Castile, but their forces were met by the defenders of Islam, fighting a battle on a losing front. However, the young Emir left himself completely exposed, it is time for the son of El Cid to strike.

http://i.imgur.com/AAKsrh.jpg

It seems that the young Emir had plenty of defenders rallying to his call, but with the Kingdom of England and Sicily supporting his flanks, the son of El Cid advanced forward to the capital as the English took the coast (and did all the work, but that isn't good storytelling!)

To the North, Cordoba was in a similar ripe situation, which the forces of Sicily diverted towards, to help bring it into the fold.

One thing to note, these lands were buffer states established by the almighty Almoravids, they didn't take too kindly to the advancement to a son of a Warlord encroaching upon his lands, so he decided to use the full might of his lands in Iberia and Africa against the son of El Cid.

However, the funds from the conquests and support of the surrounding nations ended up with Deigo bestowed the title of Duke of Valencia, giving him standing above his count peers and allowing them to swear fealty towards him to swear as his vassals.

The battle wages on for many years, the confront and blows are struck all over the nation as the fight for supremacy continues. The holy war causing great prestige and piety to build up, and with news of the Knights Templar recruiting in the region, the battle was about the turn when he convinced them to support his cause! An almighty army of 6.6k knights set off from the capital and being a victim of the Holy War seemed to convince the Order Master not to charge for upkeep, but the puny jealous Kingdom of Aragon had other plans, sending Deigo into a dark lifeless abyss when he convinced the Pope that his true parents were El Cid and a Shedevil who he sold his soul too.

Luckily, the Pope decided he was of Ill-judgement, and within a few brief exchanges, he decided to lift the excommunication of Duke Diego (yay!), and to further compensate the Duke, he gave three war donations during the course of the Holy War to help support and fund the defences, each consisting of 200 gold.

[to be continued...]
    Last edited by Tiaexz; 09-20-2012 at 02:43.

damn the bizzies :S

We do not sow.

My ruler would not die. Lived to the ripe age of 80 and was going strong. My heirs all died before me, with the next in line being 64. I did The Stranger a favour by going elective and picking some youngun to take over, he will need it due to several of my policies going to hit a "mid-game crisis" (since they focused on short and long-term goals)
    Ah, very well done! Diego has certainly done Rodrigo proud, no doubt about that! Can't wait for the write up, it looks like you had one heck of a struggle. Perhaps even more warfare than the Cid himself saw in his lifetime.

But other than that, he has inherited a very strong position, mostly thanks to the policies of Monk.
    (Having England fighting your expansion wars worked brilliantly)

As The Stranger said, England was most certainly the key to survival. I fully intended to entrench my position in Valencia with alliances in Aragon, Sicily, England and later Barcelona. I was going to wait until the Almoravids were at war and then strike with as much troops as I could in holy wars across their domain. Instead they collapsed into a HUGE civil war. The Cid himself is a rank 27 (!!) general, so if he's at the head of an army of over 8k+? Goodness, he's pretty much unstoppable. If only he was twenty years younger!

When i secured Murcia I knew i had to stop my conquests and give the realm time to recover, or else you would be in serious trouble. Turns out Rodrigo agreed
    Last edited by Monk; 09-18-2012 at 15:10.
    ~ Nikola Tesla
    Forum Thread

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast