Thread: England's Rise to Prominence - An EU3 DW AAR

Senior Member Senior Member Yeti Sports 1.5 Champion, Snowboard Slalom Champion, Monkey Jump Champion, Mosquito Kill Champion Csargo's Avatar

Default England's Rise to Prominence - An EU3 DW AAR

England's Rise to Prominence - An EU3 DW AAR

Hello and welcome to my first ever attempt at creating an AAR. First off I'd like to say that my writing skills aren't the best, so please bear with me on this. This will mainly be focused on gameplay and screenshots rather than a creative storyline. Secondly, I am fairly mediocre at EU3, so you will probably notice noobish mistakes and other terribly folly's. If you do feel free to point them out and tell me how I should fix my mistakes. Also, I would like to add that I decided to start this AAR after I had played up to 1427 in the game. I will post an overview of what occurred from 1399-1427, though I don't have any screenshots from that period. I'll hopefully have that up today at some point. If there is anything else you'd like to know just ask and I'll try to answer asap.

Currently I don't really have any rules except for one that I can currently think of. I don't really know any exploits, so the only way I would use then would be accidentally.

Rules:

1. No reloading if a war or any other event doesn't go my way. The only exception to this would be if I am completely destroyed.

Settings:

• Europa Universalis 3 - Divine Wind - No mods
    • Normal Difficulty
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	aef736bc.png 
Views:	371 
Size:	233.9 KB 
ID:	7153  
    Last edited by Csargo; 09-14-2012 at 20:35.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sooh View Post
    I wonder if I can make Csargo cry harder by doing everyone but his ISO.

Senior Member Senior Member Yeti Sports 1.5 Champion, Snowboard Slalom Champion, Monkey Jump Champion, Mosquito Kill Champion Csargo's Avatar
    Last edited by Csargo; 09-22-2012 at 19:07.

Default Re: England's Rise to Prominence - An EU3 DW AAR

Overview: 1399-1427

England's starting position in 1399 is fairly safe with the exception of Labourd, Gascogne, and
    Calais. Labourd and Gascogne are bordered by France, so I have basically left those provinces undefended except for during the first war. I'll go into more detail about my thoughts on this decision later. Calais is surrounded by Burgundy, who are scary but not as scary as France imo. The home island and Meath, my only Irish province are safe from invasion because of the size of my navy.

Army and Navy composition

I started out having my armies contain 6 regiments, which was a mistake looking back. I later increased that to 12(8 infantry and 4 cavalry). My navy is the same since the start of the game 28 carracks and 12 transports.

The Beginning

My first mission was to reclaim Normandy from the French, great I thought. I've always had trouble with France in most of the games I have played. I almost cancelled the mission but decided to keep it and see how I faired against them. Looking at the Economy tab I noticed all of the technologies were ahead of their time, so I started investing in stability since it was at +2. Then I proceeded to reorganize my troops into 4 armies of 6 regiments a piece. I stationed one in Gascogne, one in Calais, and the other two in southern England.

Which way to Calais?

Not long after this France decided to declare war on me in order to take Calais. Sadly the French didn't realize they had no way to reach Calais and never bothered to ask Burgundy for military access. I sank their navy of 4-5 ships early on in the war so they were stuck on the continent :(. They attacked Gascogne and Labourd with one of their 15 regiment armies where my measely 6 regiment army was stationed. They were quickly overwhelmed, and my navy was busy ferrying the two armies stationed in S. England into Normandy or Caux(I don't remember which). The army in SW France was destroyed and I lost the battle in Normandy as well, but managed to rescue the two armies there. I decided then that they were too strong, so I sat on my island and waited until they would accept a White Peace. It took a while but they finally accepted peace and I decided to cancel the mission to reclaim Normandy.

Conquest of Ireland

My next mission was the conquest of Ireland. This gave casus belli's on the four Irish nations and cores on their four seperate provinces. Two armies of 6 regiments were shipped to Meath and war was declared on Connaught and Ulster. Their armies were rather small and defeated quickly, the sieges lasted a bit longer but both were annexed around the same time. Next war was declared on the southern two Irish nations, Munster and Leinster, and my two armies marched south and destroyed both armies. I had overlooked the fact that Leinster was allied with Brittany or that Brittany had guaranteed the independance of Leinster. That brought Brittany into the war, which didn't really concern me since their army was relatively small and wouldn't pose much of a problem for my own. Of course it could never really be that easy and it turns out Brittany was allied with Burgundy and they joined the war. I decided to evacuate my army from Calais and focus on the two Irish nations then on Brittany. I employed the same strategy that I used against the French on Burgundy. I ignored them and let them siege Calais while I rampaged through Brittany. I annexed the final two Irish nations and took Armor from Brittany. Me and Burgundy just glared at each other across the channel. Occasionally they would land a regiment on the home island and I would destroy it, but other than that nothing happened. Eventually they accepted a WP, which was good for me since the French attacked not long after.

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

2nd War of French Reconquest

There's not much to say about this war really. The French took Gasconge and Labourd in S. France, as well as my recently conquered province of Armor. I tried multiple times to land my armies in Normandy, but the French forces were in force there and I couldn't hold. This was due to my inability to transport more than one army at a time. Eventually the French accepted WP and the war ended with nothing lost or gained.

New technologies and the Economy

At some point after the war my Government tech increased and I got to pick a National Idea. I chose to go with Military Drill, which increases the morale of my armies by +1. My reason for picking MD was because France had chosen that same NI. As you can probably tell at this point I haven't performed well against France. Having such a gap in morale between our two armies would be dangerous imo. Also, my Production and Army techs increased later. The increase in Army tech allowed for new infantry types. It allowed me to choose between Longbowmen and Men-at-Arms. Longbowmen had 2 offensive shock compared to the Men-at-Arms 1, so Longbowmen were my choice. Being the noob I am I don't know if that was the wisest choice, but it seemed like a good choice to me. The production increase allowed me to build constables. These are really nice, they increase my direct tax in provinces by 25%. I've only built a few in my higher tax provinces. Recently I decided to mint as much as possible to build constables in all of my provinces. This will increase my inflation, which is around 4% as of 1427, but it will allow me to increase my income. I've been running deficits in recent years and this will certainly help with that problem.

Here come the French again

France declares war again to conquer Calais. This isn't really surprising at this point, they've been declaring war like clockwork after the 5 year truce or very near it. I decided to try something new this time. I let the French take my two provinces in S. France and then leave them undefended. Taking a chance I decide to land an army down there and leave them with no escape route in order to land another army in Normandy. Two of the French armies moved south to takeout my army in S. France leaving one in the Normandy area. If I can take out this one army without losing my own I'll have the upper hand. I have a tech advantage over France, which is my reason for saying I'd have the upper hand. Sadly, at this point Brittany smells weakness and declares war on England. Could I take on both nations at once? Possibly but since it was a surprise I kind of paniced and made peace with France. Ceding Gasconge and Labourd in order to end the war. Most of you will think this was a dumb move and you're probably right about that. It wasn't the best decision I've ever made, but I decided to focus on the weaker opponent. Defeating Brittany wasn't a difficult task and I take Morbihan and Finistere leaving them with only one province.

Trouble in France

When I was fighting the war with Brittany, France became embroiled in a war with Burgundy. I'm unsure of who started the war, but Burgundy brought some friends to the fight. France ended up at war with Burgundy, Austria, and Scotland. Had I not made peace with France this could have been a golden oppotunity for me to weaken them. I would have to wait for the 5 year truce to expire. Hoping that the war continue long enough for me to join in or leave France weak enough that when the truce did end I could roll over them. I'm not sure when the war ended, but it did a decent amount of damage to France. They were forced to release Normandy as a free nation and their entire army was destroyed. Releasing Normandy meant they no longer had access to the English Channel, so they couldn't really have a naval presence there(not that they had one before, but every bit helps :) ).

English Revenge

I positioned my three armies in English Brittany and waited for the truce to expire so I could declare war. I had to get military access through provence since I no longer had a border with France or their vassals. My plan was to send two of my armies south since that was where the majority of the French army was, as well as provinces they controlled. The remaining army would head for Ile-De-France their capital. The campaign in the south went just as I had planned. The lone French army there was destroyed and I began sieging the provinces. In the north I ran into a bit of a problem. There was only 1 regiment there, but a large force of pretender rebels(14 regiments) was sieging the capital. My army just avoided them and sieged the surrounding provinces until they moved. Once I had taken their capital and most of provinces they owned I made peace. I took back Gasconge and Labourd, which I had ceded to them previously. Also, I took Armagnac the province just east of Labourd that England has a core on. The peace deal also forced them to release Toulouse. After this I believe France won't be much trouble for England in the future.

Current situation

This basically bring everyone up to date on where I am at the moment in the game. It is currently April 1427 and England is enjoying peace. France is still dealing with the large rebel force, and the Normans decided to declare was on them. They are currently sieging France's capital and Alencon. Other than that it seems pretty peaceful in my neck of the woods. I'm adding a map below this so you all can see an overview of the area.

Last edited by Csargo; 09-15-2012 at 20:38.

Overview is completed.

Interesting game. I think you were really lucky with early French defeat against Burgundy. Usually in my past games, unless i use pretty much every resource available and ally with all the French neighbors, The "big blue blob" keeps just getting bigger. About what to do next. I think Normandy is there out waiting for you to pick it up. Concerning Countries like Brittany, where you dont have cores, many times making them vassals is a better deal then straight forward conquering them. That way you wont suffer an revolt risk and you get a nice income from them.While you can concentrate on upgrading your core provinces.

My advice is to vasallise, vasallise and vasallise. Good idea might be after you have taken Normandy, to force the French to release more lands. Smaller blobs will be easier pickings in the future.Take the cores and the lands that promise cores with missions.
    Ja Mata Tosainu Sama.

Quote Originally Posted by Kagemusha View Post
    Interesting game. I think you were really lucky with early French defeat against Burgundy. Usually in my past games, unless i use pretty much every resource available and ally with all the French neighbors, The "big blue blob" keeps just getting bigger. About what to do next. I think Normandy is there out waiting for you to pick it up. Concerning Countries like Brittany, where you dont have cores, many times making them vassals is a better deal then straight forward conquering them. That way you wont suffer an revolt risk and you get a nice income from them.While you can concentrate on upgrading your core provinces.

My advice is to vasallise, vasallise and vasallise. Good idea might be after you have taken Normandy, to force the French to release more lands. Smaller blobs will be easier pickings in the future.Take the cores and the lands that promise cores with missions.
    Thanks for posting Kage!

I was very lucky with France. They either lost their entire army in the war Burgundy/Austria or they disbanded it after the war. Normandy is definitely one area I'd like to take, my only concern is they are allied with Austria. I've played up to 1454 at this point and I've seen their armies and they are fairly large. I should have vassalized Brittany, but I wanted the land for other reasons. Chock it up to me not fully grasping the situation I guess

Thanks for the advice Kage. You'll see what happens to France, they're not doing so well atm.

I wouldnt worry too much because of Austria.They had land route to France via Burgundy when those two were at war, but it is unlikely that they have military access all the way to Normandy and their naval power compared to yours is a joke. In any case.If you decide to take Normandy. My advice would be to aim for a quick war. try to occupy both of their provinces quickly, that way you will be done with them before Austria can even reach the place.

Looking forward, how this plays out!:)
    Ja Mata Tosainu Sama.

The reign of Henry IV Lancaster 1399-????

We start in April 1427 and our current mission is to vassalize Scotland. Scotland is in a personal union with Portugal, which was our only ally that could possibly help against Scotland is now gone. They are also allied with Burgundy and Fez the former is dangerous, so I decide to wait and see if the alliance is dissolved at some point.

The economic situation is improved and the treasury has a decent surplus. I start building constables slowly because I don't have many magistrates. Expanded Bureaucracy increases the yearly magistrates by .25, but decreases my tax income by 5%. I decide to take the decision even though I've had problems with the economy. The constables will make the effects of the decrease in taxes negligible.

In August of 1428 my average heir Charles dies and is replaced by Anne. She is below average with a 4 in Administration, Diplomacy, and Military.

The next few years are spent building constables and watching Scotland. Their alliance with Burgundy is still intact, so I continue to wait. In February of 1432 Scotland is no longer allied with Burgundy, but now with Aragon. Aragon has made considerable gains in Morocco, but lost Valencia to Castille. They're fighting rebels in N. Africa, as well as their home provinces so they shouldn't bother me. Portugal has a relatively small army, but a decent sized navy. My navy is larger, so that shouldn't be a problem.

Overall I have a distinct advantage over the Scottish alliance. I ferry two of my armies from Brittany and move them into position on the border with Scotland. Disaster strikes in April when Henry dies and a regency council is put in place for the young Anne. Henry reigned from 1399 until his death in 1432. He made gains in Brittany and Southern France, and improved England's position in the world.

Henry IV Lancaster 1399-1432

Regency

My plans for Scotland are postponed for now because of the Regency council. Anne was three when Henry died so it'll be a long time before she can take the crown. In October I finish researching Govt. 6 that will allow me to build an Embassy. I can only build one in a non-cored English province that has a border with another country. I begin investing in Production 5, which doesn't give any great benefits.

Scotland has been at work in Africa I noticed. How or why they got involved there I can't say, but I don't think I've seen them in Africa before. This will make it more difficult to vassalise them if their homeland doesn't provide enough war score. In February 1434 someone looks up and they see a comet -1 stability. It's not all bad news though we reach Production 5 the same year and start investing in Naval tech. That will increase our max colonial range to 125, but I don't know what that means it's probably good though.

In July 1435 France declares war on Orleans. Orleans brings in her allies Toulouse and Dauphine. Toulouse has been my ally since I made France release them in 1427. I didn't receive a Call to Arms, so I couldn't join the war. France could possibly regain a large chunk of what they've lost in previous wars. That scares me a little, so I keep a close eye on how the war progresses.

I get a slider move in October of 1435 and move it towards Innovative. Cheaper tech is always nice, but the slider move triggers an event "We look weak" and we lose 5 prestige. September of the same year France annexs Orleans and the war continues.

Towards the end of 1435 I notice something strange in Aragon controlled Africa.

That is Austria, who has no access to the sea, occupying part of Morocco. How they got there is a mystery to me, but if anyone has an idea I'm listening. We have a nice event in January of 1436.

That's two moves and I welcome it. We're at +1 on the Narrowminded side of the slider but progress is being made. The war in France continues with neither side making much progress. September brings what could be a decisive shift in the war.

This makes me pretty excited since Toulouse was getting worn down by France and her vassals. It looks like France will inevitably lose this war and become weaker in the process. That's just an assumption looking at Austria's forces and Toulouse's versus the French army in theater.

November of 1437 I get exclusive rights to a 6 star Army Major General who increases my Army tradition by .6 per year. Hiring him is a no brainer for me, my Army trad. has been decaying since Henry died and I had no way to stop it. This will at least slow it down and let me recruit half-decent generals when the time comes.

When 1438 comes around the constables have finally been built in all of my provinces. I didn't keep track of how much it actually increased my income, so I'm unsure of that. Minting gold is unnecessary now, so I put it all back into technology. My inflation is at 4.9% which isn't good for me. I recruit a Master of Mint who ends up being 5 stars and reduces my inflation by .1 a year. It'll take a while to get it down to 0.

The war in France begins looking grim in late 1438 and early 1439. The French destroyed a large Austrian force and left them with little to no presence in the area. March sees Toulouse leave the war ceding Rouergue to France for peace. Seeing Toulouse survive the war still intact is a relief, since they're the only ally I have in the area. Austria's performance so far has been disappointing and inept. They had a superior force and should have handled the French easily. The war can still be won by Austria but I severe doubts that they can accomplish it.

A few years pass with the war in France still waging back and forth. In 1441 I decide to start building Docks in some provinces. They will increase my Production efficiency and ship repair by 25%. Nothing much else occurs during 1441. During March 1442 I reach Naval technology 6 and start investing in Government 7. I'd like to reach Govt. 9 asap to allow me to choose another National Idea. Finally, after 11 long years, in August of 1443 the regency for Anne ends.

Queen Anne I Lancaster 1443-????

I always supported York :(

The Reign of Queen Anne I Lancaster 1443 - ????

August 1443 - March 1454

We begin with Queen Anne I taking the throne of England. She's sub-par in all areas of leadership. Her administration, diplomacy, and military skills are all 4. Her heir is Thomas Lancaster who has a 7 in administration, 8 in diplomacy, and 3 in military. Overall he is excellent I hope he survives to take the throne.

In March of the next year our investment in government tech pays off and we reach level 7. We continue to invest in government, because there's no penalty and the faster we reach level 9 the better. Also, the same month we cancel the mission to vassalize Scotland. They had become allied with Burgundy again and Naples. I got scared even though it probably wouldn't have been a problem. Our new mission is to have a larger army than Burgundy. That's not possible since their army is 65k and my cap is at 48k. Time to wait 5 years so I can cancel this impossible mission.

December of 1445 sees the end of bloodshed in France. Austria finally wore them down and got a favorable peace deal. France will release Champagne and Alencon in order to stop the war. There tax and production will suffer greatly because of this. The northern section of France is far more productive than the southern region. They lost four provinces in the north and now only have Orleanais and ILe-De-France.

At the beginning of 1449 we regain the mission to make Scotland our vassal. Scotland is still allied with everyone I've mentioned previously, but I decide to focus on Scotland in the war to accomplish my mission. If my navy can fend off the combined navies of Burgundy, Aragon, Portugal, and Naples I can eventually get a WP with the alliance leader who I would assume is Burgundy.

We declare war on Scotland in July 1449 and Portugal joins on Scotland's side. Burgundy and Aragon dishonor their alliance with Scotland, which is a welcome relief for me. Aragon has had rebel problems in Africa and their homeland for a while, so I can see why they didn't join. Burgundy is a different story though, I have no idea why they failed to join this war. They have a core on Calais, so they could have definitely benefited from it. Naples joins the war in September that's not really a problem, they also control the last province of Brittany that I'd like to have. I'll take the full infamy hit if I am able to get it, but I'll be one step closer to connecting my provinces in France. Also, in September Portugal lands 8k troops in Munster. I've got no troops stationed there, so I'll have to ferry an army from France.

If we back up to August on the Scottish front I've destroyed the main army in Scotland. All that was left was 2 or 3k in Aberdeen at that point. Sadly we are able to reach everywhere but the Western Isles and the Scottish recruit around 13k mercenaries there. The troops sit down and siege all the provinces except Aberdeen and the W.I. The army I ferried to Ireland has destroyed the Portuguese force and is retaking Munster. I'll move them to Scotland to attack Aberdeen after they retake Munster. In December government 8 finishes and I switch to Land 7 because I'd get the ahead of time penalty for government 9. Once land 7 is finished I should be able to switch back to government.

The Portuguese land 1k troops in Brittany at the beginning of the year. I move my navy south to the coast there to try and destroy the tiny fleet they use. I've had many battles with the Portuguese fleet and they've lost everyone. Never been able to catch the fleet after a loss and do real damage though. In April Naples lands a 5k force in Vendee, which I had taken at the beginning of the war. I move forces there to deal with Portugal and Naples. My force of 17k in the Highlands assaults the fortress, they fail leaving 22 defenders. During May I assault again and the province falls.

A few months later Portugal offers WP and I accept. Unlike the situation with Naples there is nothing I want from Portugal, so this removes a really annoying opponent. In August I finally get around to landing troops to deal with Naples in Vendee.

Looks to me like Provence is doing a number on France. Looks like Naples is also a part of the war effort, that's probably why they haven't been messing with me much. In October Naples wants WP I decline because of Vendee. Naples won't give up Vendee, so I begin searching for other provinces they own close to me. Melilla is the only one I find, and it's in N. Africa between Aragon and Castille. My troops have been fighting hard, and I decide they really need a vacation.

In March of 1451 my army takes a trip to relax in Melilla. I hope they have fun on their vacation. Most of Scotland has fallen at this point except Fife and the W.I. During May Fife finally submits and I position troops to attack the W.I.

August sees the attack and defeat of the Scottish army positioned on the W.I. Later that month I completely destroy that army, so there is nothing left in Scotland. There may be troops in Scottish Africa, but I haven't checked on that. A month later W.I falls to an assault, which gives me enough war score to make Scotland my vassal.

Peace with Scotland is stalled until I can get Naples to give up the provinces I want. That now includes Melilla, as well as Vendee. Melilla makes a nice base for my navy to rest and repair while going into the Mediterranean Sea. It could also be used as a forward base to assault Africa. I devise a plan to end the war with Naples. I called it Operation Bootstrap, which is a dumb name, but it gave me a chuckle. When Melilla falls in November I make preparations for Operation Bootstrap. This involves moving another army into Melilla. In April 1452 Operation Bootstrap is put into action.

It's not really that complex of a plan, but it should gain me enough leverage to get what I want. Napoli is the capital of Naples and it's lightly defended. If I can get my two armies there and take the province I should be able to get a favorable peace. The initial landing goes well and the 2k troops stationed there are destroyed. Between the landing and trying to get the second army into Italy a 12k army attacks my army sieging Napoli. Fortunately I am able to get my second army there and defeat them. They chase them south and trap them in Sicily where they stay for the rest of the war.

In July I finally get to government 9 that gives me a second NI. I end up taking Press Gangs that give -50% to ship costs. Looking back I should have taken one of the Land force or Naval force modifiers. Both my army and navy are at their respective limits. I don't know what the penalties are for switching NI, so if anyone does please let me know. I would definitely be interested in doing that. Also, I start investing in Naval tech 7.

In March 1453 Napoli finally falls, so I can make peace with Naples. They agree to cede Vendee and Melilla for peace.

Now I can make peace with Scotland as well. They agree to become my vassal for peace and the war ends after 4 years. My mission is complete and I gain some prestige or something like that for doing it. My next mission is to make Toulouse my vassal. At some point Toulouse declared war on France and I missed the Call to Arms, so the alliance I had with Toulouse is gone. Either I try to improve my relations with Toulouse and reinstate the alliance we had, then wait the 10 or so years you have to wait to offer them vassalization. I could also insult them and get our relations down low enough to declare war and not have the stab hit. That would be the easier way to make them a vassal. I also make the decision to take Imperial Administration, which drops my stab by 3 and I gain 5 prestige. It changes my government type to Empire and it gives me +.60 magistrates and +.25 morale for my armies, which is a pretty nice effect.

It's currently March 1454 and this is the current state of Europe.

Last edited by Csargo; 09-22-2012 at 19:08.

Sorry I haven't been able to post an update lately. I've been busy with work and other things. I'll hopefully be able to play/update sometime this week or weekend.