Thread: An utter newbie's guide to digital artistry.

Blog Entries

Default An utter newbie's guide to digital artistry.

I've been trying really half heartedly to develope a skill in artistry using digital means (photoshop, coral etc), even though I can't draw stick, and while I have been putting it off I have been looking for guides for such endeavors but I've come up short. I dont suppose anyone could point me in the right direction to a beginners guide or something?
    Being better than the worst does not inherently make you good. But being better than the rest lets you brag.

Quote Originally Posted by Strike For The South View Post
    Don't be scared that you don't freak out. Be scared when you don't care about freaking out
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Grand Patron's Banner Bearer Senior Member Peasant Phill's Avatar
    Somewhere relatively safe, behind some one else, preferably at the back
    Blog Entries

Default Re: An utter newbie's guide to digital artistry.

Quote Originally Posted by Greyblades View Post
    I've been trying really half heartedly to develope a skill in artistry using digital means (photoshop, coral etc), even though I can't draw stick, and while I have been putting it off I have been looking for guides for such endeavors but I've come up short. I dont suppose anyone could point me in the right direction to a beginners guide or something?
    What are you looking for?

Do you want to learn about a certain pogram, a certain medium, ...?

Not that I'm a master in the digital arts, but I've been meedling with some of them on my own for quite a while.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drone
    Someone has to watch over the wheat.
    Quote Originally Posted by TinCow
    We've made our walls sufficiently thick that we don't even hear the wet thuds of them bashing their brains against the outer wall and falling as lifeless corpses into our bottomless moat.

Blog Entries

Well that's the dilemma, I have no idea what I'm looking for, my end goal is to be able to make something on the level of this.
    I currently have a cintiq 21x (dont ask me what I was thinking buying it I have long given up on figuring it out) and I can get pretty much any program you name but I have no clue where to start, I cant even draw geometric shapes to my liking I'm a huge procrastinator when I have no direction and am my own worst critic so trying to figure it out through brute force practice is not working.
    Being better than the worst does not inherently make you good. But being better than the rest lets you brag.

Quote Originally Posted by Strike For The South View Post
    Don't be scared that you don't freak out. Be scared when you don't care about freaking out
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Practice is key. I am sure you can find hundreds or thousands of good tutorials online, and you can and should look at them, but the #1 way to get better is to just practice and experiment with tools. I taught myself how to use PSP 7, and I can do things on that that many skilled people cannot do with Photoshop (and I never used a tutorial. It takes me more time, but I can create nearly photo realistic images with PSP7 that many people struggle to do with Photoshop, despite the fact that I have a vastly more limited tool set.)
    Practice, practice, practice.
    Hammer, anvil, forge and fire, chase away The Hoofed Liar. Roof and doorway, block and beam, chase The Trickster from our dreams.
    Vigilance is our shield, that protects us from our squalid past. Knowledge is our weapon, with which we carve a path to an enlightened future.

Everything you need to know about Kadagar_AV:
    Quote Originally Posted by Kadagar_AV View Post
    In a racial conflict I'd have no problem popping off some negroes.