Thread: New Let's Play as Prussia - 1805

Default New Let's Play as Prussia - 1805

Here's the first episode in my heopfully dominant campaign playing as Prussia in the 1805 European Campaign using vanillia NTW files. Nothing too big happens just getting familiar with Empire for the first couple of rounds. Remember to comment and subscribe for future battle gameplays, newcasts, and Let's Plays. Thanks.

Senior Member Senior Member Fisherking's Avatar

Default Re: New Let's Play as Prussia - 1805

@ mrxirish

I am sure your German pronunciation can be forgiven but it never hurts to improve.

Maybe I can help you out just a little.

Baden-Württemberg = Bad-in Vert-em-berg

Mecklenburg = Meck-len-burg

Thuringia = The person who made up this spelling should have been shot. It is easier in German than English.
    Thüringen = Tour-ing-en

The best I can do with Silesia = Sell-e-c-ah.

Königsberg is Kurnigs burg. Umlauts, the letters with dots over them, are evil. Especially Ö. It adds a ur or er sound. In English the convention is to spell a word with an umlaut with the letter a, o, or u followed by an e which only means you mess up the way to say it more.

I have been living in Germany for going on 10 years and I am still working on it.

One of my worst nightmares is having to talk about humid weather. I always mispronounce the word. In stead of saying “the weather is humid” it always come out “the weather is gay”.

In German, W gets pronounced as V and V gets pronounced kind of like an F.

I am sure you know Germans when trying to speak English often confuse W with V and V with W.

Anyway, I hope some of this helps.

Outside of that, Good video. Can’t wait for the next one!

Thanks for sharing.

Education: that which reveals to the wise,
    and conceals from the stupid,
    the vast limits of their knowledge.
    Mark Twain

Thanks for the tips, I'll make sure to keep those tips in mind for my future videos. Thanks for helping!

I forgot to post my second one, so here's both the second and third episode of my 1805 Campaign as Prussia using vanillia files. Remember to comment and subsribe for future gameplays, let's plays. and newscasts. Thanks!

Last edited by mrxirish; 10-24-2012 at 21:21.

Here's the latest installment in my 1805 Prussian let's play, enjoy!

Senior Member Senior Member Fisherking's Avatar

Buried somewhere in the threads I know there are tactical discussions.

Something I have noticed about your style of fighting leads me to remember a few things about game mechanics as they relate to battle tactics.

For line infantry only the first two ranks fire. If you have them deployed in more than two ranks those behind are just standing around. It is better to deploy in two ranks to maximize your firepower. The same is true for light infantry. Light skirmishers usually out perform rifle troops because rifles have a slower reload time. Dragoons fire weapons so the same would be true for them but other cavalry seems to fight better in a deeper formation.

It is better to line them up this way in the deployment phase and group them so they will stay together.

I try to line up something like this: CCLLIIIAAAIIILLCC grouping like units on each flank together and the artillery in the center as one group. The general staff and any other units left (for me usually cavalry)I put behind my artillery as this is what the enemy will try to charge. Cavalry on the flanks protect the light infantry from cavalry and the line infantry fire will usually kill most enemies attacking the artillery.

I find it best to concentrate my artillery fire on enemy cavalry then use my cavalry to attack enemy guns placed on the flanks. The rest of my line stays in place. When the enemy guns are destroyed he will advance on your line to attack. Your light infantry and remaining cavalry can deal with his infantry he sends to the flanks while the main forces spend themselves on your line. Canister shot and musket fire will decimate most of his advancing forces and your losses will be smaller. You keep your forces massed while the enemy has to attack piecemeal.

You should practice these tactics in a couple of set up battles and see how they work for you against the AI.
    Last edited by Fisherking; 10-30-2012 at 14:33.

Education: that which reveals to the wise,
    and conceals from the stupid,
    the vast limits of their knowledge.
    Mark Twain

Thank you for sharing your Prussian campaign with us mrxirish, and I appreciate your advice Fishering.

I confess . . . I love to turtle. Love building up my economy and tech before marching off to war. Therefore, should come as no surprise that I have played several campaigns as the British. I have also played a Russian and French campaign.

Now, for the first time, I too am trying my hand with Prussia. Just Normal/Normal. Was pleasantly surprised that I was left alone to turtle. Took Saxony and a few settlements from France that was originally held by Austria. Allied with Russia, Austria, Sweden, Denmark, England, and several other minor nations. Fielding elite troops, have a strong economy, and my prestige rating eclipses everyone else. I have no navy as I do not see a strategic importance for one.

So why do I feel so insecure fighting France? I have sent Napoleon back home a couple of times with either one of my spies, which are much more effective than any I have used before, or in actual battle. But the French infantry line troops just seem so strong to me, and my lazy tactics with a just a standard infantry line with howitzers behind them, and a couple of cannons on each side, just doesn’t seem to be working with my Prussian armies. I truly didn’t appreciate just how strong the British and French infantry line units (especially elite) are compared to a faction like Prussia. Seems like they just cut throw my line like butter. I guess playing as the British/French so much has made me real laidback. Now with Austria nearly wiped out, I am relieved each time France agrees to a temporary ceasefire. In hindsight I should have wiped out the minor nations in my campaign objectives much earlier, and then fought alongside of my Austrian brothers against France, since Russia and England seem to do almost nothing in this war.

During my last session the French completely destroyed one of my full stack armies with my typical composition of: 10 line infantry; 4 howitzers; 2 cannons; 1 grenadier; 1 sharpshooter; 1 lancer; and a general. I just haven’t seen the AI move so well with its troops and artillery on Normal. And the higher morale and combat strength of the French infantry is just tearing my lines apart when melee commences. The confidence level with Prussia is simply not there. Hopefully I can reinvent myself as a general or this Napoleon upstart will have all of Europe.
    Last edited by TargetSlayer; 02-07-2013 at 19:51.

I finished the campaign a couple of days ago (though Steam didn't reward me with the achievement). Good fun. Tweaked my battle formation and tactics a bit, and at the same time entered France and attacked Napoleon's economy. Probably the first TW campaign I can remember where adjacent factions remained Allies (i.e., Russia, Austria, Denmark, and several minor nations). Prussia fields a good variety of units; enjoyed using cavalry more in this campaign than in my previous ones with Britain, France and Russia.

Regards

Quote Originally Posted by TargetSlayer View Post
    Thank you for sharing your Prussian campaign with us mrxirish, and I appreciate your advice Fishering.

I confess . . . I love to turtle. Love building up my economy and tech before marching off to war. Therefore, should come as no surprise that I have played several campaigns as the British. I have also played a Russian and French campaign.

Now, for the first time, I too am trying my hand with Prussia. Just Normal/Normal. Was pleasantly surprised that I was left alone to turtle. Took Saxony and a few settlements from France that was originally held by Austria. Allied with Russia, Austria, Sweden, Denmark, England, and several other minor nations. Fielding elite troops, have a strong economy, and my prestige rating eclipses everyone else. I have no navy as I do not see a strategic importance for one.

So why do I feel so insecure fighting France? I have sent Napoleon back home a couple of times with either one of my spies, which are much more effective than any I have used before, or in actual battle. But the French infantry line troops just seem so strong to me, and my lazy tactics with a just a standard infantry line with howitzers behind them, and a couple of cannons on each side, just doesn’t seem to be working with my Prussian armies. I truly didn’t appreciate just how strong the British and French infantry line units (especially elite) are compared to a faction like Prussia. Seems like they just cut throw my line like butter. I guess playing as the British/French so much has made me real laidback. Now with Austria nearly wiped out, I am relieved each time France agrees to a temporary ceasefire. In hindsight I should have wiped out the minor nations in my campaign objectives much earlier, and then fought alongside of my Austrian brothers against France, since Russia and England seem to do almost nothing in this war.

During my last session the French completely destroyed one of my full stack armies with my typical composition of: 10 line infantry; 4 howitzers; 2 cannons; 1 grenadier; 1 sharpshooter; 1 lancer; and a general. I just haven’t seen the AI move so well with its troops and artillery on Normal. And the higher morale and combat strength of the French infantry is just tearing my lines apart when melee commences. The confidence level with Prussia is simply not there. Hopefully I can reinvent myself as a general or this Napoleon upstart will have all of Europe.
    if you want to counter line ?use militia ,keep some distance and do fire fight with their line(dun do melee),you will find their line will fall as easily as your militia...
    In all warfare,speed is the key!