Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Council of Nobles - discussions of upcoming games

Strategist and Storyteller Member Myth's Avatar

Default Council of Nobles - discussions of upcoming games

Hey guys, I'm making this thread so we can have one place where we can discuss upcoming new games and iron out the rules for them, have players request a game they'd like to play and also have admins post when spots are open in ongoing games. So what new games would you like to see? Personally I like Nigel's 100 years war idea. I think this may have been Cecil's originally (and the mod in question was the 100 years campaign in Lands to Conquer)

I was also thinking of starting a versus RPG, where a SS Early game is fast forwarded for 400 turns. The ERE and Turks are given 1 million florins at the beginning to ensure they grow and don't kill each other off. The desired result is having a very large and powerful ERE and Turks, to simulate the Ottoman Turks conquering Constantinople. In the year 1400 in SS we have gunpowder and very interesting Late Professional armies.

I was thinking of making this a "versus" RPG where both sides get players and they fight for Constantinople and a few key cities around it.
    The art of war, then, is governed by five constant
    factors, to be taken into account in one's deliberations,
    when seeking to determine the conditions obtaining in the field.

These are: (1) The Moral Law; (2) Heaven; (3) Earth;
    (4) The Commander; (5) Method and discipline.
    Sun Tzu, "The Art of War"
    Like totalwar.org on Facebook!

Default Re: Council of Nobles - discussions of upcoming games

Anyone up for a Westeros: Total War hotseat?

I would be, assuming I can get the mod installed and working correctly.

Im in as long as its not FnB

Tho i must warn you, its very different from the usual hotseating ( hotseated this mod a lot on the TWC westeros hotseating forum )

Do you want Westeros: total war Enchanted ( Westeros but for hotseating, just after Eddard and the Sept )
    Blackfyre rebellion ( awesome, needs to be tweaked slighly as some factions start with 250.000 tho )
    Kings of Rivers and Hills ( awesome, completely awesome^^ I call dibbs on Hoare )
    Fire and Blood? ( i know little about this one, basically Dothraki have arrived and Eddard n the Sept never happened? Not 100%^^ )

At any rate, some tweaks must be made to ensure long term balance in all of em, Possible exception being Kings of Rivers and Hills
    Last edited by Mithridate; 12-04-2012 at 03:00.

Hmm, if you have experience with HS for this mod maybe you can suggest the submods? I have that one which gives stannis the ability to spawn 10 star assassin shadows and that's a bit OP IMO.

Also, did I detect sarcasm in that "great and powerful" statement of yours? I also see that LooseCanon isn't happy with the quality of the HS guide i've written, yet Invicta's guide is focused only on economy, and while excellent, is not at all helpful to those who have never experienced the joy of regular M2TW autoresolve (you are correct regarding infantry in M2TW, but AR was rebalanced for Stainless Steel and KGCM with the hotseat patch. So you are both right in essence) or had their entire army wiped out by 3 GB units and a few HAs in fought battles.

Master of the Universe Member LooseCannon1's Avatar

There are about 20 ongoing hotseats right now for Westeros. And 2 more pages of finished or dead games. The released Westeros mod is unplayable (so I was told) in hotseats so everyone uses a submod depending on which era you want the game to be played in. Character and faction names and regions all get revised so choosing you faction becomes important. There is a large amount of imbalance. There are no spies or siege engines in any submod so it depends on who gets their stacks together first or can throw up a line of forts. Proper fort rules are a must! Some new files are being tested right now to improve things.

Autoresolve and the Battle AI used create such different results that autoresolve is almost mandatory. In an A/R siege you would lose about a third of the men you'd lose in fighting the battle.

Actually, both guides, as I have come to learn, have little use in a Westeros hotseat. There's no economy to worry about, spies and siege engines nonexistant, and the only real strategy is - well, I'm not telling

Well, there is always room to improve the guide but I've had little time to do so recently. If you have any suggestions please, send them or just post in the thread there.

As far as Westeros is concerned, economy does matter though the settlements start pretty well developed. I imagine House Lannister being really powerful due to those gold mines and the Longbows they get, but if it's AR only then the guy with the 22 defence, 150 MPU infantry will rock (assuming they didn't mess with the AR engine)

No spies and no siege weapons doesn't make sense but we can work with that. It means that defensive garrisons actually matter if I assume correctly.

Quote Originally Posted by Myth View Post
    Also, did I detect sarcasm in that "great and powerful" statement of yours?
    Youre the one guy ive looked up to since i started hotseating and still do, your guide gave me a great start and there was no sarcasm whatsoever. Though, perhaps a slight reference to ponies The guide is great, and i view invictas to be a complementary read.
    Hmm, if you have experience with HS for this mod maybe you can suggest the submods? I have that one which gives stannis the ability to spawn 10 star assassin shadows and that's a bit OP IMO.
    for enchanted, the submod most used thus far: He can also make galleys everywhere, like greyjoy can do longboats. This crushes late game balance as others can make only measly sailers ( and yes, shadowbabies must be banned or restricted ) Greyjoy can only recruit their troops on the isles, massive handicap for lategame greyjoy. Martell can only recruit his troops in dorne, same thing tho not as bad.
    I also see that LooseCanon isn't happy with the quality of the HS guide i've written, yet Invicta's guide is focused only on economy, and while excellent, is not at all helpful to those who have never experienced the joy of regular M2TW autoresolve (you are correct regarding infantry in M2TW, but AR was rebalanced for Stainless Steel and KGCM with the hotseat patch. So you are both right in essence) or had their entire army wiped out by 3 GB units and a few HAs in fought battles.
    Cheers, We are in agreement to almost everything it seem (as usual i do believe)

I have a modded Enchanted that is pretty balanced that i can provide that we use a lot. Fixing the mentioned problems with Enchanted, all the factions have very different flavors and its quite fun, but very different not only to no spies or siege engines! This would be the best mod to stary with imho but:

Personally, id go with Kings of Rivers and hills. You dont have to modify it anything in order for it to be playable and work long term ( only one thing: Greyjoy cannot be allowed to make longships anywhere but the isles unless its an upgraded port )

Restricting the map ( no playing/attacking the North possibly dorne as well) Greatly improves the pace of the hotseat and i sincerely recommend that. The north is boring to play imho and are so bloody far from everything.

Lastly, Westeros AR is strange, Usually when you win battles you take almost NO losses assuming its not a very close call or a siege.
    Literally 4k vs 4k (2 armies vs 2 armies somewhat same strength or clearly stronger) battles will often have 2k losses for defeated and about 200 losses total for the victor.
    Quote Originally Posted by LooseCannon1 View Post
    Actually, both guides, as I have come to learn, have little use in a Westeros hotseat. There's no economy to worry about, spies and siege engines nonexistant, and the only real strategy is - well, I'm not telling
    Myths tips are gold, the explanations for exploits and rules offer great insight into hotseating albeit some of it may be a bit dated.
    (spies, spies opening gates everywhere xD Reloading allowed as standard )

merely the economy is "pointless" for westeros, unless you count reading about other mods, spies, catas, jihad/crusade whom have nothing at all to do with westeros
    Last edited by Mithridate; 12-05-2012 at 08:18.

Thank you Mithirdate for your kind words Well then, if there's a submod which will allow us to play right off the bat, by all means let us do so. How many players do we have so far?

Here Its Enhanced ( basically westeros: total war ) but tweaked so GJ and martell can recruit everywhere, Stannis and greyjoy can only make sailers in regular ports. Plug and play or so it should be

Factions are still not balanced as they have their own strenghts and disadvantages ofc but that will do (not supposed to be completely balanced).
    We need proper fortrules however, and no shadowbabies imho. No assasinations at all tbh as its damn hard to get assasins and thus whoever gets em first is pretty unstoppable. ( 10k for the guild, then its dirt cheap n easy ) and id vote on no north ( 9 players needed then )

If its well recieved, the next hotseat should be Kings of Rivers and hills i say
    Last edited by Mithridate; 12-05-2012 at 08:58.

Just wanted to show off my new avatar

Not bad huh? its King Qhored Hoare of the Iron isles, greatest of all those whom have sat the iron throne.
    From the Submod Another King of Rivers and Hills :) Or Victarion Greyjoy should you go on the original pic

strategy gamer Member Enemy Shooting Champion, Rabbit Hunter Champion, Eggs Champion, Kaboom Champion, Money Money Money Champion, Rapid Motion Champion, Super Fishing Champion komnenos's Avatar

which month do you think RTW2 will release?
    He who has bread has many problems;

He who has no bread has only one problem.

Byzantine Proverb

Don't know about month but it won't be any time soon. Perhaps late 2013 is my guess, summer is a slow season for the gaming industry. They will either push it out this spring (unlikely) or during the autumn of 2013.

strategy gamer Member Enemy Shooting Champion, Rabbit Hunter Champion, Eggs Champion, Kaboom Champion, Money Money Money Champion, Rapid Motion Champion, Super Fishing Champion komnenos's Avatar

How late? I expect that its going to be released about in this spring!!

Byzantine Proverb

I doubt it, but one can hope!

And what about Europa Universalis IV? When will it release?

Byzantine Proverb

Mmmm, Antares is tasty! Senior Member Alien Attack Champion Nightbringer's Avatar

Sep 2013 is what I see. Just to be clear though, the purpose of this tread is discussing upcoming hotseat/whatever games we are planning to do in the Throne Room, the Arena is more geared towards discussing upcoming new video games. In any case though, feel free to hang around a chat Komnenos, just wanted to illuminate exactly what is meant by discussion of upcoming games in this thread. Are you interested in trying out a M2TW hotseat komneos? We'd love to have you!

(found here https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/forum...p?46-The-Arena)
    Moderator of The Throne Room
    “Being a Humanist means trying to behave decently without expectation of rewards or punishment after you are dead.” ― Kurt Vonnegut
    "Education: that which reveals to the wise, and conceals from the stupid, the vast limits of their knowledge." ― Mark Twain
    "Imagination is a quality given a man to compensate him for what he is not, and a sense of humor was provided to console him for what he is." ― Oscar Wilde
    “While money can't buy happiness, it certainly lets you choose your own form of misery.” ― Groucho Marx

I have played M2TW in single player. But for playing it online, I don't have the original game for now.so I think it's impossible to play online by the unoriginal one, isn't it?
    Last edited by komnenos; 12-22-2012 at 09:20.

Byzantine Proverb

Mmmm, Antares is tasty! Senior Member Alien Attack Champion Nightbringer's Avatar

I'm not sure what you mean by unoriginal, although you maybe should not say as per the forum rules. In any case, if you have the game installed including kingdoms we should be able to get you up and running with us. If you are interested that is.
    “Being a Humanist means trying to behave decently without expectation of rewards or punishment after you are dead.” ― Kurt Vonnegut
    "Education: that which reveals to the wise, and conceals from the stupid, the vast limits of their knowledge." ― Mark Twain
    "Imagination is a quality given a man to compensate him for what he is not, and a sense of humor was provided to console him for what he is." ― Oscar Wilde
    “While money can't buy happiness, it certainly lets you choose your own form of misery.” ― Groucho Marx

In our country we don't access to original video games so we have to buy unoriginal games which is cheaper but usually you can't play it online because in these games we don't have serial numbers but also they cracked the game in Iran. However I'm trying to buy the original games like CK2 and M2TW but unfortunately all of the websites that is for downloading the original games are filtered and closed.So you don't know that Is it possible for me to play by unoriginal game with you?

Byzantine Proverb

You should be able to play with us from what you have said. We don't actually use the online battles feature when we do our games, but instead use the hotseat feature, which doesn't require any serial code or the like. You will need to have the kingdoms expansion installed and patched to the latest patch though. We can help you find the patch, but if you don't have kingdoms things will be much more difficult.

Unfortunately I have no expansions of M2TW but I will try to find it and download it.

Byzantine Proverb

Currently we only have 3 games running - COG!2, TKC and EU. We can continue Empires of the East if we get to fix the broken saves somehow. What about a new game? A simple free for all hotseat? Maybe even forced AR? How does a vanilla M2TW forced AR game sound?

Travelling Knight Content Manager Nigel's Avatar

I am up to whatever people feel like.
    Actually, I am still hoping that we can get Vikingetid off the ground - but if we want to go for a Vanilla M2TW with AR, that's fine by me, too.

I would be up for a vanilla game if others are. I also would still love to try vikingetid

For example for COG what should I have? and then what should I do for signing up to join you?

Byzantine Proverb

Well, CoG is using the Stainless Steel mod which requires the kingdoms expansion, but I would be into starting a vanilla M2TW game.

Oh, it will be good. When are you going to start that?

Byzantine Proverb

Well, I have been having a pretty bad last few weeks, but hopefully things are settling down and I will be able to get it started ASAP. I suggest that interested parties offer their names now, and we can discuss if we want to do anything fancy. A plain old AR game would be fine by me.

Me too. The low movement points in vanilla M2TW will actually work to slow down the blitzing of AI and humans alike, leaving more room for diplomacy and rp.

Dibs on England.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast