Thread: Academy of Elemental Magic [Concluded]

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Senior Member Senior Member Jarema's Avatar

Default Academy of Elemental Magic [Concluded]

Academy of Elemental Magic
    Large Mafia Game

--------------------------------------------------

"Welcome in the halls of our great Academy, young ones. I am head of this institution, Chancellor Jarema. As you can see, I am quite old. Yes, I have over one hundred years of life under my belt!" he chuckled to the shocked faces in the group.

"You say that I don't look my age? Thank you child, serving elements make people healthier. Well, if they do not get killed, at least. But I was going to welcome you all here, in the Academy of Elemental Magic. It is also called Temple of Elements. Yes, we consider ourselves priests of elements sometimes. Our study is full of awe and devotion, but I digress. During the next few weeks, you will learn as much about elements, as your tiny brains can manage. Unfortunately, most of our teaching stuff has left us due to the Great War against the Defilers, evil creatures that they are. Our Academy is the most important source of spellcasters and magic users ready to fight with forces of corruption and depravity. You will also fight in this war, and it would be sooner than I would prefer...

Anyway, four of promising young teachers decided to stay here, and teach you. Please, greet Mistress Frashene, the Pyromancer, Mistress Eada, the Aeromancer, Master Ghozough, the Geomancer, and, last but not least, Master Bildoboone, the Hydromancer. They are heads of their respective colleges of elemental magic. Sooner or later, each of you will specialize in one of the schools of elemental magic, and become personal student of one of this great teachers.

Now, let us greet four most promising students from previous year. I decided they should stay here, and help you understand complexities of magic. It is important task – as you know, mortality is high among pupils. And finally, there are you, our new blood. I am happy to see your young, open faces. But there is something that worries me. I suspect that agents of our Enemy are hiding among you. I was thinking for a long time about how I should approach this problem. And I made the decision, that I will use your collective wisdom. At the end of every week, we will gather here and discuss. Then, we will banish one person, the one you will found most suspicious, from the Academy.

But it should wait until you become acquainted with each other. Now, go to your cells. After three hours of meditation, we'll meet here again and dine.

--------------------------------------------------

Standard game rules apply if I haven't mentioned it here.

Rules
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Information regarding the Setup:
    1. There would be at least two scum factions
    2. Town would be divided into 4 factions – elemental colleges. Members of those colleges would be able to recruit promising students into their ranks
    3. There would be 'vanilla' newbies among townies. They would be able to join elemental colleges. Majority of scum players would be hiding among them
    4. Game will be divided into two phases: Voidday ("day”) when all students meet and discuss, and Week ("night”) when all students study and work

Victory conditions:
    a) for scum factions – not publicly known
    b) for unaligned townies – all threats to the Academy are eliminated, survived to end of the game; this VC changes after joining college
    c) for members of one of colleges of elemental magic: all threats to the Academy are eliminated, opposite school of magic has been eradicated

Items:
    a) there would be some items, but not many (rather several than dozens of them)
    b) with exception of artifacts, after character's death his items are buried with him. We do not rob corpses.

Health/damage system:

1. Each character will have following characteristics: hit points (HP), corruption points (CP), fire attack and defense values, air attack and defense values, water attack and defense values, earth attack and defense values. There are also experience points, used to buy higher levels of those characteristics. (IMPORTANT)

2. Typical character starts with 10 HP (full health), some have as low as 8, some as much as 14. Each character not at full health regains one HP at end of day (before lynch)
    3. Lynch deals damage to leading player/players, one point of damage per vote + one point per every week („day”) of the game (1 at day one, 2 at day 2, etc.); in case of tie all tied players would be damaged, but damage would be equal to one point per vote

4. During night phase, every character can attack other player using force of one of four elements
    5. If attack value exceeds apropriate defense value, damage is done. 5. Damage is equal to attacker's AV – defenders DV + 1, and can be higher due to attacker's corruption. Some effects can influence damage. Damage is always equal to at least 1.
    6. Three or more attackers from the same college can attack together for a devastating result.In case of coordinated attack, attack automatically hits, and damage is equal to the sum of attackers AV – respective DV. For example, if three attacker with fire AV 4 attacks defender with fire DV 3 separately, they will do 6 points of damage (or more, if one of them is highly corrupted), and against fire DV 4 they will do 0 damage. In case of coordinated attacks against DV 3 they will do 9 points of damage (3 points more, not counting corruption) and against DV 4 they will do 8 points of damage (8 more, regardless of corruption scores)
    7. If attack misses due to DV of defender being higher than relevant AV of attacker, counter-attack will happen. Defender will attack attacker with the same element that attacker chosen for his assault.

Experience:
    1. Every day, active player (the one who votes) get 2 XP
    2. Every night, player who studies or who succesfully does something other than defending, get 1 XP
    3. You can spend XP on AV and/or DV. For each AV or DV you pay as many XP as the new level of it would be. For example, if you want to raise your water DV from 1 to 2, it will cost you 2 XP. If you want to raise your fire AV from 2 to 5, it will cost you 12 XP
    4. You can spend XP on corruption score, at the same rate as for AV and DV
    5. You can spend XP on hit points. In order to raise your maximum HP (and your current HP) by 1, you must pay [your new maximum HP – 10]; for example, to raise your HP from 11 to 12 you must pay 2 XP, for raising from 10 to 15, you must pay 15 XP. If your maximum HP are lower than 10, then raising it by 1 costs 1 XP.
    6. Described costs may differ due to some special abilities of some players

Corruption:
    1. Player has a corruption score ranging from 0 to 10. It is "invisible” to other players, but under some circumstances general level of someone's corruption could be assessed
    2. Levels of corruption: uncorrupted (0), mildly corrupted (1-2), moderately corrupted (3-4), severely corrupted (5 and more), utterly corrupted (special)

MY MISTAKE: corruption score of 1 was/is sometimes treated as uncorrupted. Sometimes it was assumed to be like: uncorrupted (0-1), mildly corrupted (2-3), moderately corrupted (4-5), severely corrupted (6 and more), utterly corrupted (special)

3. Corruption can be raised unvoluntarily, or as a consequence of some actions (like killing someone), or willingly, by expending XP – every player cand do it
    4. Corruption is a mixed blessing. At one hand, the more corruption player has, the more damage he deals. Also, corruption protects against corruption-based attacks, so corrupted player will take less damage from scum attacks. At the other hand, the more corrupted player becomes, the more scummy he looks (because high corruption level is typical for scum). Also, at higher corruption levels, it can effect player in surprising (and not necesserily pleasant) way, when he becomes more and more deranged.
    5. All scum players would be corrupted, more or less. But, they may have ways of hiding it.

Colleges of magic:
    1. there are four colleges of magic: College of Flame (Pyromancers), College of Wind (Aeromancers), College of Wave (Hydromancers) and College of Stone (Geomancers)
    2. their heads and higher rank members can recruit new players to the colleges (from ranks of 'new students'). If you are new student, and you are approached by such character, you will get option to join given college (no forced recruitation). That will change your victory condition, and give you access to further development
    3. College will help you develop AV of its chosen element. Therefore, it could be beneficial to join college associated with element you are already strong in.
    4. Heads of colleges are guaranteed innocents – at least at the begining of the game.

Night actions:
    1. Each character can attack at night
    2. Each character can study at night
    3. Each character can defend at night (defending raises all DV by 1 for this night, but defending character does not gain XP)
    4. Characters who have special abilities can use them
    5. Characters who have special items can use them
    6. As a free action, character can give his/her item to someone else. I must get message from this other player that he wants to take that item, then the transfer will happen at the end of night

Standard innocent role PM:

Young Pupil
    Welcome in the Academy of Elemental Magic.
    You are young student from one of the Empire core cities. You have not chosen path for your elemental training yet.
    Alignment: town
    Faction: unaligned
    Elemental training: Fire: AV 2 DV 0; Earth: AV 0 DV 0; Water: AV 0 DV 1; Air: AV 1 DV 1.
    Corruption Score: o
    Hit Points: 10/10
    Abilities:
    1. beginners luck: first attack that would otherwise kill you, reduces your HP to 1 instead. If you join any college of magic, you will lose this ability. It is one-time only ability
    2. you start game with 5 XP
    Victory condition: All threats to the Academy are eliminated, you survive to the end of game
    AV & DV would be different for different players, that is one of possible combinations.

IMPORTANT: "TECHNICAL" RULES
    1. Private communication outside the game thread and gm-sanctioned qt is NOT allowed
    2. You can still participate after death. Dead players can post both here and in their relevant qt's, but they must not reveal any information not posted in the game thread already. They may still scumhunt or try to befoul town
    3. All forms of quoting pm's from host are forbidden. You should also not discuss technical details of them (like the time when you get your role pm, or its lenght)
    4. There would be no WoGs for inactivity

Day One
    Night One
    Day Two
    Night Two
    Day Three
    Night Three
    Day Four
    Night Four
    Day Five
    Night Five
    Day Six
    Night Six
    Day Seven
    Night Seven
    Day Eight
    Night Eight
    Day Nine
    Night Nine
    Day Ten
    Night Ten
    Day Eleven
    Night Eleven
    Day Twelve
    Night Twelve

Living Players:
    1. Captain Blackadder
    2. Askthepizzaguy
    3. Memnon
    4. Alsark
    5. Ironside
    6. Visorslash
    7. Issaikhaan
    8. White eyes:D
    9. Robbiecon
    10. Johnhughtom

Dead Players
    Montmorency (aeromancers)
    NinjaCow (pyromancers)
    Andres (hydromancers)
    Ignoramus(pyromancers)
    Arjos (Defilers)
    BSmith (Defilers)
    El Barto (hydromancers)
    Riedquat (Defilers)
    LazyMcCrow(pyromancers)
    TinCow (aeromancers)
    Kennigit (Defilers)
    Edse (hydromancers)
    Elite Ferret (aeromancers)
    Autolycus (geomancers)
    Xenoneb (factionless)

Escaped
    Chaotix, Demon Worshipper

Attacked Players:
    Alsark (n3, n8)
    Andres (n3, n3, n3)
    Askthepizzaguy (n2, n4, n8, n9)
    Autolycus (n7 - group, n10)
    Chaotix (n1, n4, n4, n4)
    Edse (n1)
    El Barto (n6, n6)
    Elite Ferret (n9, n9)
    Ignoramus (n3)
    Ironside (n11)
    Issaikhaan (n4, n5, n5, n5)
    Johnhughtom (n3, n11)
    Kennigit (n3, n4, n6, n6)
    LazyMcCrow (n1, n1, n3, n3, n7-group)
    Montmorency (n1, n2, n2)
    Riedquat (n4)
    TinCow (n3, n4, n7 - group)
    Visorslash (n2)
    Xenoneb (n1, n2, n5, n9)

* I want to thank Visorslash for a great job of formatting this opening post for me. Now it surely looks better
    Last edited by Jarema; 12-27-2012 at 21:32.