Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: XCOM: Enemy Unknown

Default Re: New X-COM game on the horizon...

Quote Originally Posted by TinCow View Post
    . Which caused my Heavy to panic and gun down the VIP.
    Ouch! Which brings up another reason why a mid/late game wipe is so devastating.

Rookies/Squaddies spend most of their time in "panic" mode when faced with the storm of firepower you end up facing. I guess that's why one reviewer noted you can become more "attached and protective" of your veterans than your own children.
    Ja-mata TosaInu

COYATOYPIKC Senior Member Flatout Minigame Champion Arjos's Avatar
    Prisoners upon this rock, flying without wings...

Attempting a stun on Classic Ironman is quite possibly the most nerve-wracking thing I have ever done in any game, ever.
    I just captured a Muton, in CI, and I still have no idea how I did it lol

The Black Senior Member Papewaio's Avatar

Still playing the same NI game. My roster rotation is absorbing my worst mistakes at the tactical level.

I encountered my first berserker. The heavy went into high cover and activated him within dashing range. He opened fire, then my top support shot at him and he kept on charging. Right into the arms of the squads assault with arc thrower. Took the live puppy home to the Doc.
    Our genes maybe in the basement but it does not stop us chosing our point of view from the top.
    Quote Originally Posted by Louis VI the Fat
    Pape for global overlord!!
    Quote Originally Posted by English assassin
    Squid sources report that scientists taste "sort of like chicken"
    Quote Originally Posted by frogbeastegg View Post
    The rest is either as average as advertised or, in the case of the missionary, disappointing.

Bureaucratically Efficient Senior Member TinCow's Avatar

Got through a couple months on Classic Ironman, much further than I ever did before. Attrition started to take a toll, however. Lost my only good sniper to bad luck. He was at full health in full cover, and got nailed by a critical hit that killed him instantly. Got out of that mission okay, but in the next mission my top Support got critically wounded and was down for a while. As a result, I ended up going into my first terror mission with three lowly squaddies accompanying the my veteran heavy and assault. I did pretty well, clearing about 2/3 of the map without issues. I'd lost about 1/3 of the civilians, but few of those losses were anything I could have prevented. I started to move into a warehouse to save the last of them. moved into a small entry room with two closed doors, rescuing a civvy who was inside. I stationed my experienced assault and my backup support at the door, ready for a breach entry with another backup inside and the other two on overwatch outside. Before I could open the door, a zombie rose up from the ground on the same square as my vet assault and killed him in one blow before I even got a chance to react. I have no idea how the zombie got there; both doors to the room were closed when I entered and the civvy was alive, meaning no aliens had ever entered. I managed to dispatch the zombie, but two Chrysalids showed up in the middle of it right next to my men. I knew none of my men would survive at that range, so I charged everyone I could into as close range as possible to try and blast them all down before they got to move. I got one, but the second didn't go down. It took down my support, critically wounded. Unfortunately, the only med kit available to stabilize him was on his body, which mean I was screwed. Then two zombies appeared. I actually managed to kill them both with my remaining 3 men before the support bled out, but in the process lost another assault. After that, I aborted the campaign. I had three three vets left, but two were wounded and wouldn't be available for the next mission, meaning I'd have to go in with a veteran sniper and four rookies. I wasn't even going to bother trying to play like that.

So, I started a Normal Ironman game, and I've breezed through my first two months without a single loss taking the hardest missions thrown at me. It's startling how much a jump there is in difficulty between Normal and Classic. I wish there was an intermediate level.

2k forums there is a few mentioning the large jump in difficulty.

One guy is playing impossible and once his squad is on the ground switching to normal. That way he gets lots of aliens but not the +/- modifiers for higher difficulty.

My biggest squad killer so far has been exploding cars. Particularly from suppression fire through vehicles other team members are hiding behind... Stupidity on my part.
    Our genes maybe in the basement but it does not stop us chosing our point of view from the top.
    The rest is either as average as advertised or, in the case of the missionary, disappointing.

One thing that really annoys me is the lack of a manual (dl version)

I am building stuff that does not appear to have any use: alloy cannon, blaster launcher. They certainly sound cool but no one/thing can equip them.

I really don't like playing the game like "blindmans bluff"

edit: ok, finally found the slots for those; I thought I had checked everything...but...there are an awful lot of slots :p So 3months after I built them I'll start to use them
    Last edited by HopAlongBunny; 10-21-2012 at 07:21.
    Ja-mata TosaInu

Quote Originally Posted by HopAlongBunny View Post
    I am building stuff that does not appear to have any use: alloy cannon, blaster launcher.
    Two of the best weapons in the game!

Two of the best weapons in the game!
    Yes! Yes they are!!! Now that I know who equips them I don't know how I lived without them

That final mission was a bit of a shocker, but now I can see a clear use for the Mind-shield I had been ignoring.
    Ja-mata TosaInu

COYATOYPIKC Senior Member Flatout Minigame Champion Arjos's Avatar
    Prisoners upon this rock, flying without wings...

Life with the carapace armour feels good lol
    I assaulted the alien base with the normal one, succeeded, but boy that was tough, never played so defensively XD

Infinite Jest Member easytarget's Avatar

LOL, on my last mission in current campaign I stunned a muton beserker and an outsider, but forgot I still had 3 days till the containment was built.

And my new best approach to getting soldiers dead: having one them get PSI'd and shoot up the rest of the team while I mess about trying to stun an Ethereal.

Blog Entries

My best death: I got so used to having titan armoured squaddies I forgot my starting rookies' armour is useless, I started a new game, made my team stand out in the open and-
    *PSSHH*

...It's kinda embarassing to have 3 of my best men mere 2 hours after taking out the final boss killed by sectoids and thin men.
    Last edited by Greyblades; 10-22-2012 at 05:06.
    Being better than the worst does not inherently make you good. But being better than the rest lets you brag.

Quote Originally Posted by Strike For The South View Post
    Don't be scared that you don't freak out. Be scared when you don't care about freaking out
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

A more complete tech-tree:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	xcom-enemy-unknown-2012-tech-tree-research-chart.png 
Views:	142 
Size:	1.55 MB 
ID:	7463

Much thanks to xdude whoever he/she/it happens to be :)
    Last edited by HopAlongBunny; 10-22-2012 at 06:58.
    Ja-mata TosaInu

Member thankful for this post:

Monk 

The Abominable Senior Member Hexxagon Champion Monk's Avatar

A more complete tech-tree:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	xcom-enemy-unknown-2012-tech-tree-research-chart.png 
Views:	142 
Size:	1.55 MB 
ID:	7463

Much thanks to xdude whoever he/she/it happens to be :)
    Looking at the full tech tree i'm wondering how effective a full rush to light plasma would be that skipped lasers entirely. I spent a LOT of time slogging through laser tech in my current game, but if I focused on containment right out of the gate and gave half the squad arc throwers, stocking up on Light Plasma Rifles wouldn't be that hard. It would just require clever tactics and a bit of RNG luck. Hm. This demands some experimenting on my next play through!

Quote Originally Posted by Monk View Post
    Looking at the full tech tree i'm wondering how effective a full rush to light plasma would be that skipped lasers entirely. I spent a LOT of time slogging through laser tech in my current game, but if I focused on containment right out of the gate and gave half the squad arc throwers, stocking up on Light Plasma Rifles wouldn't be that hard. It would just require clever tactics and a bit of RNG luck. Hm. This demands some experimenting on my next play through!
    I've done that on Normal. You miss the lasers a little bit, esp for your sniper. You save time and more importantly resources "skipping ahead". On Normal I can't see bothering with lasers, it might not work on higher difficulty.
    Ja-mata TosaInu

in Normal you can easily skip right passed lasers

in Classic you cant afford to wait

All enemies except Sectoids have ramped up health and accuracy - you need them dead NOW - and your soldiers have reduced accuracy bullet weapons just wont cut it after the first month

Similarly in Normal you never need to use anything but light plasma rifles (for the +10 aim buff) but in classic as soon as the trooper has leveled enough not to need the bonus (captain and up in my experience) they should swap to a full plasma rifle for the extra damage (elite mutons have 14 health and come in groups of 2 or 3)

From my own experience Normal is cake walk - Classic is a true challange

Quote Originally Posted by Sir Moody View Post
    From my own experience Normal is cake walk - Classic is a true challange
    It is startling just how much of a difference there is. The numbers on my save games tell me that I tried Classic Ironman 37 times, with probably only about 5 of those going beyond mission 2, and only two beyond month one. In every case I lost important soldiers when I could not afford to do so, to the extent that I didn't think it worth continuing.

For attempt 38, I did Normal Ironman. I'm now many months into this game, my first on Normal Ironman, and have only lost 3 soldiers, all rookies, and have multiple Colonels. Satellites everywhere with terror levels low, and only lost two countries early on. Half the missions I go on no one even gets hit. I've gotten myself into serious trouble which, on Classic, would almost certainly have led to 3+ deaths, and emerged without any casualties. Indeed, of my 3 deaths, 2 occurred on a single mission when nearly all of my vets were wounded, forcing me to assault a landed UFO with a veteran sniper and 4 rookies. I finished the alien base assault mission almost effortlessly.

It's kind of amazing that I can do this well this easily on Normal Ironman, but can barely get off the ground on Classic Ironman.
    Last edited by TinCow; 10-22-2012 at 13:44.

It's kind of amazing that I can do this well this easily on Normal Ironman, but can barely get off the ground on Classic Ironman.
    Agreed. I really think there needs to be a difficulty between classic and normal, something like "Normal+" or "Advanced" difficulty. Not quite Classic but not quite normal either.

Just got back from the UFO raid from hell. 3 sectoid commanders, 3 elites, 1 berserker and 2 mutons. I was feeling pretty cocky so I had rotated in two rookies to help clear it, boy was that a mistake. Had to gun one down because it was mind controlled (and I couldnt get a shot on the commander) and the other got turned into paste by a Berzerker. Poor rookies

don't mourn them - that is what they are for

seriously however you should rotate rookies into your ranks early on to build up a solid core of troops - later it really isn't possible since they will panic CONSTANTLY

if you spend the first few months rotating in rookies you should be able to take a few hard knocks and be able to replace losses without having to fall back on rookies

on my own campaign - classic of course (I got bored with the Normal one so never finished it) - I am now able to start the final mission - its November and I only lost 9 men - only 2 higher than captain (a major and a captain - the major (my sniper) died in what I like to call the "mission from hell" - an abduction which saw me facing 9 Mutons and a Berserker ... at once - frankly I am amazed he was my only loss)

playing classic takes a completely different mindset - in normal you can easily push forwards and rarely have to stop - in classic you have to play a LOT more defensively - often you move a single unit forwards to the limmit of his first move - spot enemies and then retreat and move the rest of the unit into "crossfire" positions where they over watch - if done correctly the enemy will not see any of your men and thus will charge after you - right into the waiting crossfire

there is no feeling worse in classic than rushing a soldier forwards only to expose a Sectopod... those guys are just EVIL

Research Fiend Technical Administrator Tetris Champion, Summer Games Champion, Snakeman Champion, Ms Pacman Champion therother's Avatar

Yeah, retreating to strong defensive positions is the key tactic on classic and impossible. You are often faced with 2 or more groups of aliens activating at the same time and you need all the help you can get.

This is made much easier when you get ghost armour. TBH, I think ghost armour is a little too good, even without the actual ghosting ability it would be a good choice: +6 to HP, high manoeuvrability (increased range plus grapple), +20 to defence (equivalent to being in half cover even in the open, full cover when in half). Then you have the ghosting itself: the ability to freely scout the battlefield, discovering alien positions without them triggering, ability to pull back from a fight with ease, and of course +100 to critical chance when firing from ghost. Which is really the icing on the cake. I often use it just to guarantee a kill: even sectopods can be taken down in one turn by one assault rapid firing their alloy cannon from ghost at point blank range.

The only drawbacks are 4 less HP than titan and it doesn't have the resistance to flame and poison. And the expense. But resources are usually easier to come by later in the game.
    Nullius addictus iurare in uerba magistri -- Quintus Horatius Flaccus

History is a pack of lies about events that never happened told by people who weren't there -- George Santayana

Quote Originally Posted by Sir Moody View Post
    don't mourn them - that is what they are for

seriously however you should rotate rookies into your ranks early on to build up a solid core of troops - later it really isn't possible since they will panic CONSTANTLY

if you spend the first few months rotating in rookies you should be able to take a few hard knocks and be able to replace losses without having to fall back on rookies
    Yeah I think I really messed up, that's been my one blunder on this go. I've got about 10 really good vets but I'm one bad mission away from being in a really tough spot. Rookies just don't have the ability to go face to face with Mind Control in the way I hoped. I should have rotated in many more rookies around June (i'm in November now, classic) instead of focusing on my A squad.

there is no feeling worse in classic than rushing a soldier forwards only to expose a Sectopod... those guys are just EVIL
    I haven't had a terrible moment with Sectopods yet as I've been extremely careful (and lucky) when encountering them. I always roll with 2 heavies with HEAT rounds, suppression, mayhem and Dangerzone. If they see a Sectopod it's time to bulletstorm that into oblivion.

Peerless Senior Member johnhughthom's Avatar

Wow, can't believe I've never played one of these. Monk's tale of his sole surviving Scottish lass called Softie piqued my interest in the game and I dowloaded the demo on PSN. Popping out now to buy it, pity it doesn't have the full version on PSN...

Quote Originally Posted by johnhughthom View Post
    Wow, can't believe I've never played one of these. Monk's tale of his sole surviving Scottish lass called Softie piqued my interest in the game and I dowloaded the demo on PSN. Popping out now to buy it, pity it doesn't have the full version on PSN...
    Yeah, you could say I've got a soft spot for Softie. I've been too busy working on my mod, coding some html and other stuff to play much. Hopefully that will change in the next few days!

In case you guys didn't preorder they released the customization pack today as a DLC download. To be honest I think it's a bit pricey. Color customization, helmets and 2 skins for $5. Still, I can't deny that the colors and helmets are great fun for being purely cosmetic. You be the judge. Link to the download is here: http://store.steampowered.com/app/209811/

Member Member Alexander the Pretty Good's Avatar

I'm too lazy / too averse of playing God (lol) to muck about with the customization stuff, and I think the alt armor is ugly, so I wouldn't get it all if I didn't have it through the pre-order.

It'll probably go on sale for a more reasonable price.

I'm constantly using my crayons to colour them in. One thing the game does it forgets the armour customization type.

My Alpha squad are all bulky armour and helmets.

Exceptional or story elements help in colour choices.

My two team members I've picked up in missions are:
    A female sniper with Nickname: Lady Grey. So instead of charcoal her uniform is a light grey.

After a VIP mission to Japan (politician suspected of joining the aliens) I picked up a Japanese Assault Captain with the Nickname "Sheriff". I could see a guy who was prepared to do the right thing no matter what in turning in a fellow citizen. So not only did I change his colour scheme from Red to Sheriff Badge gold I also picked up all the skills with a shield device in them. Sure it is non-standard/potentially sub optimized but I really like the RPG element.

I couldn't resist.

The idea of hot pink killing machines appealed to my sense of irony. Declare! Display! Destroy!!!
    Ja-mata TosaInu

personally I just set them all to use the black and white scheme and never changed anything else...

I wouldn't have bought it as a DLC but since I have it via preorder I may as well change the terrible default armour to something a little more aesthetically pleasing

Peerless Senior Member johnhughthom's Avatar

Shop was sold out when I went to get it yesterday, they are sending me out the pre-order edition cheaper than it was in store. I am looking forward to 'hot pink killing machines' now.

Just finished the game, goodness. What a ride. The ending was a bit.. underwhelming. But it's.. well...

Sequel bait!

Steam says I have close to 50 hours played in XCOM since release.. so I suppose I'm totally fine with the ending being that. Finished the game on classic after defending the earth for 270 days, lost 15 soldiers and 6 funding countries. Killed 470 aliens, I very nearly got the "Pale Horse" Achievement all in one run through

I managed to keep all of NA, SA and Europe but Asia and Africa suffered. Saved Egypt and Japan, the rest left of the world the project and conspired with aliens.. dirty traitors.

Quote Originally Posted by Monk View Post
    ...Finished the game on classic...
    Grats!!!
    Ja-mata TosaInu

Member thankful for this post:

Monk 

Grats!!!

The last few missions were getting really tense as by the time Ethereals come onto the field, Sectopods are a common sight. It's not a rarity to encounter two on the same mission, and if you're incredibly unlucky, also not uncommon to encounter them at the same time. I had to call up a number of rookies and threw them into the fire, some of the greatest heroes of the final charge were born out of XCOM's greatest time of need.

My final memorial

What's sad is.. I remember them all. Each and every one...

"Fallout" Yadav was the greatest unsung hero of the XCOM campaign. He came in at around July and quickly found a place in the A-team next to "Lumberjack" Kohler. Both guys were heavy weapons experts and both of them provided a 1-2 knockout punch whenever things started to get intense. You needed a cyberdisk swatted out of the sky? Lumberjack will knock him down. Need a wall flattened so the assaults can rush in? Fallout's on the job. When Sectopods first started showing up these guys wreaked total havoc on them.

"Patch" Illyushin from Russia. Formerly of the Russian Airborn Infantry he was selected as the Kremlin's contribution to the XCOM project after an attempted Xenos incursion of St. Petersburg was halted in around May, if memory serves. He was the best medic XCOM ever saw, able to patch up just about any combat wound. No trooper ever died under his watch, and somehow, he always managed to get every man and woman out alive who he went into a fight with.

Operation Devil's Thorn was the attack on an Overseer UFO, rumored to house an artifact of huge importance to the war effort. While scouting the perimeter out troops ran into two Sectopods accompanied by four Drones. The terrain didn't allow for easy maneuverability, and worse yet, the Sectopods' range outpaced that of our own weaponry. Yadav occupied the high ground and blew out the surrounding obstacles around the sectopods to open up sight lines for our sniper, unfortunately, he drew the attention of the beasts in the moments that followed. The mechanical beings opened their hulls and opened fire on his position, killing him instantly. Illyushin tried to make it to the high ground but was gunned down in between cover before he could. The mission ended in success, despite the loss of two of XCOM's greatest heroes.

"Whiskey" White, Assault trooper, shotgun specialist, first pioneer of the scatter laser and first member of XCOM to score a confirmed kill on the dreaded Cyberdisks. While there were many valiant and well known assault troopers in the XCOM project, most preferred the use of rifles and a more cautious approach in dealing with the xenos threat. White never had any of it, and believed in a full on frontal attack. Her love of close-combat won her both respect and a bit of a reputation for being reckless. Her Run & Gun style made her the obvious choice for Terror Sites, where she could get in, secure civilains and then get the hell out.

Operation Blind Throne was a terror attack on Cairo as the month of June came to a close. The Xenos had unleashed a dozen Chrysalids into the city and casualties were quickly running high. Local officials were being overrun by undead and xenos forces when the call came through for XCOM, by the time boots were on the ground the situation was completely unsalvageable. What was meant to be a civilian evac quickly turned into a fight for survival against hordes of undead. White was ambushed by a Chrysalid as she and Jin "Septic" Park were clearing through a Police station. Though not stated on the official reports, local surveillance equipment later seized by government officials show Park and other operatives refusing to leave the Terror Site until they tracked down and killed the "turned" corpse of White before a Chrysalid could erupt from within.

"All Day" Chepurnova, Support gunner and widely considered the best runner in the outfit. She was the butt of many a playful rib from the longest serving XCOM operative, "Softie" Mcintyre for 'being able to leap tall buildings in a single bound.' All day was the flanking specialist, while Lumberjack or other forces pinned Xenos threats with concentrated suppression, Chepurnova would lead the flanking fireteam into position.

Operation Lone Star, an abduction mission at the end of May went incredibly bad, incredibly quickly. What began as a routine cleanup that local security forces couldn't handle turned ugly when Thin Men outfoxed XCOM's attempts to pin down a number of Sectoids. Chepurnova's flanking mission fell into cross fire, by the time operatives moved in to support, Lt. Chepurnova had already fallen.

"Jazz" Gonzalez. The first sniper we ever had for the XCOM project, and arguably one of the best to ever take up that role. He joined the project after the disastrous first mission wherein only one survivor returned from the operations and was instrumental in rallying together the rookies after such a frightening loss was incurred. The first "leader" of the troops, he reported directly to the mysterious Commander. He was the first man in human history to wield the Laser Sniper Rifle, code named the X-R12, and proved his undeniable prowess with on the battlefield against the Xeno shocktroopers, the Mutons.

Operation Empty Hammer was a response to a distressed 9-1-1 call, intercepted by the XCOM project. Construction workers had come under fire from xenos and were being taken to a ship just on the outskirts of a residential area. The call was made to move in before local law enforcement could get on the scene, hopefully securing the site and saving the workers before anyone really knew what was going on. Gonzalez took up position near an abandoned, still running car to provide overwatch as the team moved in. Unfortunately, what was not realized is that the Mutons had brought along Floaters to screen their advance. As Operatives moved in, floaters dropped in behind the lines and cornered Gonzalez. No one knows why he had a grenade on him, it was standard operating procedures to equip all snipers with the specialized S.C.O.P.E attachments. But unable to get a clear shot on his flankers, Gonzalez is reported to have charged forward close to the enemy and pulled the pin. The resulting explosion took out two cars and killed the Xeno, along with himself.

"Road-Block" Meyer from Germany, one of the most imposing men to ever dawn the armor and swear the oath of service. Heavy weapons specialist and a bear of a man, Meyer was also the friendliest guy in the barracks. He always went out of his way to help the rookies get acclimated with the stresses of the job, and was often seen in the rec room having a drink with whatever new face happened to be about to head out on patrol.

Operation Frozen King was a VIP retrieval mission. A politician in Europe had been double-dealing with the aliens, selling out earth in the hope that he would be spared whatever coming fate was planned for the Human race. Road-block took point on a roof top and lead the way for "All Day" and "Softie" to come in behind, That's when he turned a corner around an air conditioner to find a group of Thin Men awaiting in ambush. Softie barely had time to call for cover when Road Block was hit and went down.

"Septic" Park was never the same after Blind Throne. Seeing a close comrade subjected to the brutality of death by the hands of Chrysalids is.. difficult. He had been largely outgoing and friendly before the Terror mission that saw "Whiskey" White's death, afterward, he was quiet. Solemn. Most operatives gave him space, understanding the stress. He would come around with time. He'd recover. Earth needed him, Earth needed all of them, after all.

Operation Morbid Spark, two days after Blind Throne, a UFO was spotted over a missile silo in Europe. XCOM fighters splashed the UFO and the team was sent in to recover any and all artifacts they could. May and June had both seen significant losses for the XCOM project, so Park was called in to help with the clear. All able bodied veterans were desperately needed to stand on the front line. Unfortunately, it seems it was just a bit too soon for him. After action reports from his fellow Operatives paint the picture of a man who could barely hold his rifle straight. In the heat of the moment, he panicked and tried to vault over cover and make a break back for the skyranger. A muton saw him move and opened fire...
    Last edited by Monk; 10-24-2012 at 19:38.

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast