Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: XCOM: Enemy Unknown

Nobody expects the Senior Member Lemur's Avatar

Default Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown

Should have read more reviews. I'm not enjoying this game much at all.

Sigh.

The Black Senior Member Papewaio's Avatar

What is going wrong? Difficulty or immersion?
    Our genes maybe in the basement but it does not stop us chosing our point of view from the top.
    Quote Originally Posted by Louis VI the Fat
    Pape for global overlord!!
    Quote Originally Posted by English assassin
    Squid sources report that scientists taste "sort of like chicken"
    Quote Originally Posted by frogbeastegg View Post
    The rest is either as average as advertised or, in the case of the missionary, disappointing.

Nobody expects the Senior Member Lemur's Avatar

Immensely long cutscenes, inability to select rooms in the anthill view of the base, etcetera. I could probably fix all of it if I could be bothered, but I'm kinda meh on the experience.

Apart from the tutorial (which is optional) you can skip most cutscenes on PC.

You can zoom in and out on the anthill. It was going to be possible to be attacked but they had balancing issues. I'm pretty sure you can click on some of the interactive elements. There are a few Easter eggs in the base including XCOM 1 on the arcade game.
    Our genes maybe in the basement but it does not stop us chosing our point of view from the top.
    The rest is either as average as advertised or, in the case of the missionary, disappointing.

The amount of cut-scenes is pretty minor. The worst is the sniper one; sometimes seems to hang forever and just blows the flow of the game.

Overall its a pretty straight-forward experience. Kill'em all and advance through the missions; just what I'm looking for in a game sometimes :)
    Ja-mata TosaInu

Horse Archer Senior Member Sarmatian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gelatinous Cube View Post
    You can turn the "action sequences" off, and the cutscenes in the beginning are for the tutorial (which you can also turn off).

The game really opens up after the first month
    That's when the game becomes boring for me. After the first few months, the novelty wears off and you see a very repetive game, with same maps, just different graphical design. All missions are basically kill 'em all stuff. The research adnd inventory parts of the game are seriously dumbed down compared to the original.

In some ways that's exactly what I like about this game. It's like running 100m; it's the same every time, the goal is to do it better each time out.

When I rip up the game with 0 casualties in Ironman (let alone Legendary) I'll set it aside :) My minor goal seems unattainable at this point so I'll continue 'til I figger it out.
    Ja-mata TosaInu

Member thankful for this post:

I don't know, I miss the feeling from the first UFO or from Apocalypse where you didn't really know what you're gonna get until you land, and how geoscape affected missions. If you take down a UFO, it was actually damaged in a mission. Sometimes just one alien survived the crash (sometimes none, sometimes all of them).

Here, it's the same thing every time, the only difference is whether you're gonna hide behind a tree or a mailbox. Same number of aliens, same groups, same tactics, same maps, dumbed down research, practically no inventory, just a few equipment gadgets... I got bored pretty quickly.

It's Civ 5 compared to Civ 4.

Infinite Jest Member easytarget's Avatar

Can't say I agree with all the negativity. Still enjoying it, and having fun with the DLC, which I just picked up for less than 5 bucks (god bless GMG, ha!).

Quote Originally Posted by easytarget View Post
    Can't say I agree with all the negativity. Still enjoying it, and having fun with the DLC, which I just picked up for less than 5 bucks (god bless GMG, ha!).
    It isn't all negativity. The game is decent to good on its own. As a successor to a legendary franchise, mediocre to bad.

I never played the first xcom games, but i can safely say this one is difficult and fun. A little repetitive, but plenty of it is random. 8/10 imo
    You should give them a try. I believe the original UFO: Enemy Unknown and Xcom: Terror from the Deep are abandonware now. Xcom: Apocalypse (the last) isn't, IIRC.

I still remember how fascinated I was with UFO and was unhappy that it was painfully slow on my Amiga 500. When I got Amiga 1200, that was the first game I got.

EDIT: I was mistaken, none of the original games is abandonware. I remembered seeing all three on Abandonia, but didn't see that you can't just download them, you have to buy them.
    Last edited by Sarmatian; 12-08-2012 at 21:47.

You can get them all on Steam cheaply and the orginal one works on my Windows seven PC unlike the latest fallout.

Quote Originally Posted by Sarmatian View Post
    It isn't all negativity. The game is decent to good on its own. As a successor to a legendary franchise, mediocre to bad.
    It's not a successor. And take off the rose colored nostalgia glasses, I played the original when it came out, it had issues as well.

Quote Originally Posted by easytarget View Post
    It's not a successor. And take off the rose colored nostalgia glasses, I played the original when it came out, it had issues as well.
    It had many issues but it also had -

1) Actually diverse maps, with diverse opponents. If you shoot down a UFO over Sahara, you're gonna get a mission in Sahara.

2) You could take up to 20 soldiers on a mission and losing a few meant acceptable casualties (like it should in a strategy game).

3) You could actually equip your soldiers from top to bottom, they actually could carry a grenade, rocket launcher and a stun thing at the same time, and the more weight you put on a soldier, less action points he has.

4) You had action points which allowed you to adapt to the situation. Do you need to take 3 shots or do you need to run really, really far.

5) You had a much more complex tech tree.

6) You had to balance the budget as you had to pay upkeep and salaries for everything.

7) You could produce stuff and sell it to other nations (corporations)

8) Weapons were diverse

I could go on and on, but the biggest problems I have is simplified control (move and shoot), small, bland and repetitive maps and lack of real options when equipping your soldiers.

Quote Originally Posted by Sarmatian View Post
    It had many issues but it also had -

1) Actually diverse maps, with diverse opponents. If you shoot down a UFO over Sahara, you're gonna get a mission in Sahara.

2) You could take up to 20 soldiers on a mission and losing a few meant acceptable casualties (like it should in a strategy game).

3) You could actually equip your soldiers from top to bottom, they actually could carry a grenade, rocket launcher and a stun thing at the same time, and the more weight you put on a soldier, less action points he has.

4) You had action points which allowed you to adapt to the situation. Do you need to take 3 shots or do you need to run really, really far.

5) You had a much more complex tech tree.

6) You had to balance the budget as you had to pay upkeep and salaries for everything.

7) You could produce stuff and sell it to other nations (corporations)

8) Weapons were diverse

I could go on and on, but the biggest problems I have is simplified control (move and shoot), small, bland and repetitive maps and lack of real options when equipping your soldiers.

I'm sure you could go on, but really, why? All you've established so far is you think these two games are somehow mutually exclusive, as if liking this new interpretation precludes liking the original or vice versa. You'll no doubt feel better about this, and most things actually, when you come to the realization most every thing exists along a spectrum.

Heads up on Xcom: EU, the 3rd patch is out, big highlights, 2nd wave features are now implemented and teleporting aliens has supposedly been fixed (didn't have much trouble with that to begin with so I can't speak to that piece), here are the notes on the latest patch:

http://www.2kgames.com/blog/xcom-ene...-patch-is-live

Most of the 2nd wave options are of little interest to me, but I will admit I'm going to run through it again starting this weekend with Marathon turned on.

Members thankful for this post (2):

The Abominable Senior Member Hexxagon Champion Monk's Avatar

Marathon mode is no joke. I finally beat the game on classic/ironman about a month ago, so i figured if try try the and thing on Marathon.

Its hard. Just the fact that satellites are way me expensive really messes up your early strategy.
    Yeah i noticed that. Sats are double the cost almost and research is 3x as long. Getting beam weapons will now cost you 100+ days: 20 for weapons fragment research, and 70 for beam weapons with the default scientist count. Scientists are now very attractive in the early game for mission rewards thanks to that. Though I am unsure if they beat out Engineers simply because engies are required. It definitely makes you not want to ignore them though.

I've also really enjoyed playing with Absolutely Critical, which means all flank attacks are a 100% crit. It makes the game incredibly punishing for stupid moves. There's no "well i can move him there because he's got good armor" thinking anymore.

I really like these extended options. When i get more time i'd love to run through a Classic Marathon game.
    Last edited by Monk; 01-15-2013 at 09:55.

Don't know if it is, but I've got to agree, Marathon definitely makes it harder.

Wish they'd list what 2nd wave options you have on in the campaign, if you have more than one going or leave it and come back, you're a bit stuck wondering what's on.

Yes indeed, that does sound like it's going to be a tough slog, but then I guess that's the idea behind 2nd wave after all. ;)

Hi! - Anyone got the Bubonic achievement? If YES and you feel like passing it on in multiplayer some time - PM me :D

Also - Has anyone done a run using names from the .org yet? I'm only familiar with players in the Gameroom on this site, but it just occurred to me that there are a ready supply of plasma fodder potential heroes for those of us who give a **** about that level of customisation :)

Anyway - stay vigilant!

Ok, I need to confirm this, because I've not run into it yet on a mission, are you saying it's possible to run out of ammo? I didn't think that was possible, I mean I know it was on the original, but on the new one since you don't load out before the mission, I just figured other than the hassle of reloading, there was no way to run out.

Boy's Guard Senior Member LeftEyeNine's Avatar

The demo was too tempting to resist. Just purchased the game.

So, what do you think so far? Have you jumped in yet?

I picked the Elite Soldier Pack DLC along with it. I was left "hungry" by the demo however I didn't have much time after purchasing it, so I saved the joy for today.

So my first encounter with Mutons was extremely undesirable.

3 hulks with grenades...Oh boy, the squad was shredded in two turns. There was not much distance to the enemy however our boys kept missing in both turns such that two of the mutons turned away from the "firefight" -if you could say that- and left the most upfront fellow to deal with us.

Still, I got Sgt. "Septic" Harris who captured 1 floater, 1 outsider and 1 thin man in two consecutive missions. I suppose he earned his title indeed.

By the way, the thin man is one of the most unique enemies I've ever seen in this long gaming experience of mine. Not only their slender man-like physique is a sight to see, but also their movements are one of a kind as well.

Quote Originally Posted by LeftEyeNine View Post
    So my first encounter with Mutons was extremely undesirable.

3 hulks with grenades...Oh boy, the squad was shredded in two turns. There was not much distance to the enemy however our boys kept missing in both turns such that two of the mutons turned away from the "firefight" -if you could say that- and left the most upfront fellow to deal with us.

Still, I got Sgt. "Septic" Harris who captured 1 floater, 1 outsider and 1 thin man in two consecutive missions. I suppose he earned his title indeed.

By the way, the thin man is one of the most unique enemies I've ever seen in this long gaming experience of mine. Not only their slender man-like physique is a sight to see, but also their movements are one of a kind as well.
    The mid-game brings with it three big hurdles which you will be expected to compensate for incredibly quickly, one after the other. If you are unlucky, you will get them all at the same time. The key is to take things with a focused approach.

The first encounter with mutons will be your first red letter day in xcom. By the time you see mutons you have to be close to, or have already gotten either laser rifles or better armor. I usually always go lasers first followed by armor, but I've seen both approaches work. Facing mutons with conventional weapons you will lose a straight fight. Even if you win the head on fight you're almost promised casualties at higher difficulties. To negate the muton power never get in a shooting match with them toe to toe. You need superior firepower or protection, and you need to outthink them to survive.

The second hurdle is the Cyberdisks, who are as you'll find are incredibly deadly. However, the strength of the cyberdisk is easily matched by giving your heavies the HEAT round ability, which they get around level 4 (I think). HEAT rounds are a passive bonus that increase all damage to robotic enemies by double, which means instead of doing 5-8 damage against cyberdisks, you can expect to do 10-16 with conventional weaponry. HEAT rounds are a must for the late game. That isn't negotiable.

The last hurdle you can expect is the terror missions and the Chrysalids. The best defense against the bugs is to never get overextended. While you're racing against the clock in terror missions, you need to always keep your men covered with smart fields of fire. Against concentrated fire and overwatch Chrysalids might take one of your guys down, but they wont live long afterward.

Oh. And never stop building sats. Ever.
    Last edited by Monk; 02-07-2013 at 21:29.

I got one of my men HEAT rounds perk awarded however I've yet to encounter any Cyberdisks.

I, as in all games am, like to be solid on the defensive first so I had already reached Carapace Armor however I was unable to get my whole team a set due to insufficient funds. After my first terror attack where I came face to face with Chrysalids for the first time -a scenario I played over for 5 times-, only then my whole squad could afford carapace armors. I have already researched about Skeleton Suit however no resources could be allocated to get a set for now.

I was going to ask about research credits ? I remember it being mentioned once in my game, is it of any importance and, if so, in what way ?

Interrogations and autopsies will get you research bonuses. The specific bonuses are listed on the tech-tree posted on pg2 of this thread.

Using the Arc-thrower (capture for interrogation) is a bit of a finesse move. It can be frustrating but when it works flawlessly you just feel soo cool :)
    Ja-mata TosaInu

Members thankful for this post (2):

OK now, whole team has got plasma variants of their essential gear. I got 2 of my snipers Archangel armors and the rest Titan Armors.

I've been delaying a campaign quest since I did not feel the team was hardened enough to proceed any further however I reckon now is the time.

Meanwhile, while I was thinking that I had done the best thing I could by acquiring a firestorm for each continent, a HUMONGOUS UFO appeared just to show off that alien technology is not supposed to be parallelled in this game.

I'm not onto the Advanced Construction tech in the foundry for which I need another Sectopod wreck -and hopefully I'll get to acquire one in the latest UFO downed in Canada.

Question: If a country withdrew its support from the project, it is gone forever ?

Also, WHEN WILL A TURKISH RECRUIT ARRIVE WHO WILL CAUSE A RUCKUS FOR NOT BEING ALLOWED A CIGARETTE BREAK IN THE MIDDLE OF A CIVILIAN RESCUE MISSION ?

Question: If a country withdrew its support from the project, it is gone forever ?
    I have never seen a country return.
    Ja-mata TosaInu

Countries who withdraw support for the X-COM project have surrendered to the aliens. Yeah, they are gone forever.

Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast