Thread: There has been too much foul language here of late.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Voluntary Suspension Voluntary Suspension Philippus Flavius Homovallumus's Avatar

Default There has been too much foul language here of late.

I have to say, I'm very disappointed that certain distinguished members have sunk of outright profanity over the last few weeks, now new members are picking up the habit.

It's lazy and it lowers both the tone and the content of our debates - I think it should stop, or the mods should put a stop to it. We don't need to swear here to have grown up discussion, quite the opposite.
    "If it wears trousers generally I don't pay attention."

[IMG]https://img197.imageshack.us/img197/4917/logoromans23pd.jpg[/IMG]

Members thankful for this post (4):

Old Town Road Senior Member Strike For The South's Avatar

Default Re: There has been too much foul language here of late.

I'm European, we have different attitudes toward language.

Also thank you for calling me distinguished. As more people get the senior member tag I need more ways to stick out from the crowd

Your protests have been noted and filed
    There, but for the grace of God, goes John Bradford

My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.

I am tired and sick of war. Its glory is all moonshine. It is only those who have neither fired a shot nor heard the shrieks and groans of the wounded who cry aloud for blood, for vengeance, for desolation.

Do you want to see my big Member spankythehippo's Avatar

I've heard this argument before, and I don't get it. I don't consider any language to be ugly. It's not what is said, it is what is meant. If swearing is used with malicious intent, then there is reason to be offended (although this is subject to debate). In the end, language is just expression. Some people enjoy using certain words. I, for one, do.

What is offensive to one may not be offensive to others. People should just deal with it.

Voluntary Suspension Voluntary Suspension Philippus Flavius Homovallumus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by spankythehippo View Post
    I've heard this argument before, and I don't get it. I don't consider any language to be ugly. It's not what is said, it is what is meant. If swearing is used with malicious intent, then there is reason to be offended (although this is subject to debate). In the end, language is just expression. Some people enjoy using certain words. I, for one, do.

What is offensive to one may not be offensive to others. People should just deal with it.
    I'm willing to bet I can outswear anyone here, including MRD when he's completely drunk.

The point is - swearing is intellectually lazy - in a debate you swear for emotive effect or to convey a sense of a point of view, an exclamation, or as a way of dismissing your opponent.

None of that actually contributes to the debate - and some of it is actually against Backroom Etiquette.

It has nothing to do withbeing offended by the words.

Do you want to see my big Member spankythehippo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Philipvs Vallindervs Calicvla View Post
    I'm willing to bet I can outswear anyone here, including MRD when he's completely drunk.

The point is - swearing is intellectually lazy - in a debate you swear for emotive effect or to convey a sense of a point of view, an exclamation, or as a way of dismissing your opponent.

None of that actually contributes to the debate - and some of it is actually against Backroom Etiquette.

It has nothing to do withbeing offended by the words.
    If a person chooses to be intellectually lazy with their words, why should it matter to others? Just filter out the gist of the argument and move on. No need to dwell on individual words.

Swearing, as Rhyfhylwyr says, is a means of letting of steam. Or to further a point, often with the backing of opinion. You won't see a scientific article saying, "Natural killer cells are similar in many respects to motherfuckin' cytotoxic T cells." It just doesn't work.

Use swear words. Just don't abuse them. Then they become bland and cliche.

If a person chooses to be intellectually lazy with their words, why should it matter to others? Just filter out the gist of the argument and move on. No need to dwell on individual words.

Swearing, as Rhyfhylwyr says, is a means of letting of steam. Or to further a point, often with the backing of opinion. You won't see a scientific article saying, "Natural killer cells are similar in many respects to motherfuckin' cytotoxic T cells." It just doesn't work.

They have no value in a debate forum online. Need to let off steam? Go kick a door, then post.

smell the glove Senior Member Major Robert Dump's Avatar

This thread is not about me as I have not been posting. Also, I do not swear.
    Baby Quit Your Cryin' Put Your Clown Britches On!!!

use of profanity is not all so bad. as stated by hippo here, it's real easy to simply ignore it and move on. personally if a poster has so little creativity and imagination that they so limit their vocabulary, i can know to filter that post(er) out and move on
    "The good man is the man who, no matter how morally unworthy he has been, is moving to become better."
    John Dewey

- swearing is intellectually lazy -
    I think that says it all. We have a complex language and a (reportedly) complex brain, it ought to be possible to merge these two wonders and express ourselves clearly and creatively.

That said, I can go for days existing in a space where every second word is pure filth...it's just one of those things :)
    Ja-mata TosaInu

I'm just an angry kid, but that is no excuse. I promise to reserve all swearing for Vuk threads.

There aren't any women here, right? So who cares.
    "And if the people raise a great howl against my barbarity and cruelty, I will answer that war is war and not popularity seeking. If they want peace, they and their relatives must stop the war." - William Tecumseh Sherman

“The market, like the Lord, helps those who help themselves. But unlike the Lord, the market does not forgive those who know not what they do.” - Warren Buffett

Quote Originally Posted by rvg View Post
    There aren't any women here, right? So who cares.
    Already pulling out the ole sausage fest card are we? Might as well make a thread about how we all deal with morning wood.

Member thankful for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by a completely inoffensive name View Post
    I'm just an angry kid, but that is no excuse. I promise to reserve all swearing for Vuk threads.
    Oh, a secret admirer! How cute!
    Hammer, anvil, forge and fire, chase away The Hoofed Liar. Roof and doorway, block and beam, chase The Trickster from our dreams.
    Vigilance is our shield, that protects us from our squalid past. Knowledge is our weapon, with which we carve a path to an enlightened future.

Everything you need to know about Kadagar_AV:
    Quote Originally Posted by Kadagar_AV View Post
    In a racial conflict I'd have no problem popping off some negroes.

Ranting madman of the .org Senior Member Fly Shoot Champion, Helicopter Champion, Pedestrian Killer Champion, Sharpshooter Champion, NFS Underground Champion Rhyfelwyr's Avatar

I've noticed this as well, I find it unpleasant. I don't have any airs or graces but I only swear once in a blue moon, and when I do I feel bad.

I've heard people try to defend swearing and its value, but I disagree. Below is Stephen Fry's take (warning, lots of swearing):

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

I think the sole purpose of swearing is to let off steam. Beyond that I don't think it will help express anything effectively. The crude and harsh-sounding nature of the words make them inappropriate for intellectual or even normal discussion, while they are too widely used to have the shock value comedians often try to use them for.

Honestly, if I have to see another awful BBC comedy where the comedy value is supposed to come from posh English people swearing, I don't even...
    At the end of the day politics is just trash compared to the Gospel.

Blog Entries

I have to say, I'm very disappointed that certain distinguished members have sunk of outright profanity over the last few weeks, now new members are picking up the habit.

It's lazy and it lowers both the tone and the content of our debates - I think it should stop, or the mods should put a stop to it. We don't need to swear here to have grown up discussion, quite the opposite.
    Really? We've got a guy spending pages on pages copy pasting content to try to win arguments that are techically impossible and you are complaining about something that is fairly rare and allways edited out by the mods? We cant even say hell without a warning because it's too close to some norse word with worse implications.
    Being better than the worst does not inherently make you good. But being better than the rest lets you brag.

Quote Originally Posted by Strike For The South View Post
    Don't be scared that you don't freak out. Be scared when you don't care about freaking out

Quid 

Poll Smoker Senior Member CountArach's Avatar

Swearing to underline a point is perfectly valid. Swearing is also considered fine in informal discussion amongst friends, and what we have here could hardly be termed formal discussion.

If you hate swearing, you hate friendship.
    Rest in Peace TosaInu, the Org will be your legacy
    Quote Originally Posted by Leon Blum - For All Mankind
    Nothing established by violence and maintained by force, nothing that degrades humanity and is based on contempt for human personality, can endure.

Members thankful for this post (2):

Quote Originally Posted by Husar View Post
    What makes a swearword a swearword in the first place?
    Profanity or Blasphemy - it's really quite an interesting topic.

Of the issues I have is that people have been swearing without understanding how to swear, which is just childish.

Quote Originally Posted by Greyblades View Post
    Really? We've got a guy spending pages on pages copy pasting content to try to win arguments that are techically impossible and you are complaining about something that is fairly rare and allways edited out by the mods? We cant even say hell without a warning because it's too close to some norse word with worse implications.
    It hasn't been edited out recently, hence this topic, or it hasn't been edited out anywhewre near quick enough. If Strike used a mid level swear word six-12 hours ago it should be gone by the time I read his post.

TR is someone I can ignore, because he requires neither my time nor respect, and he's boring, so I don't care that he's here mouthing off.

Quote Originally Posted by CountArach View Post
    Swearing to underline a point is perfectly valid. Swearing is also considered fine in informal discussion amongst friends, and what we have here could hardly be termed formal discussion.

If you hate swearing, you hate friendship.
    You have got to be joking.

I only swear when I'm angry - there's no reason for me to swear infront of friends, or in debate. If I am in a debate and I'm angry enough to want to swear I try not to post.

smell the glove Senior Member Major Robert Dump's Avatar

When a Filipina mixes her Ps with her Fs
    And tells me to "Puck off for what I said on Pacebook about her Pamily"
    Does that count as swearing.
    Baby Quit Your Cryin' Put Your Clown Britches On!!!

There is no v in Arabic. It's a bile language.
    This space intentionally left blank.

Quote Originally Posted by Greyblades View Post
    "Hell" means "luck" in norse-speak....
    Still maintain that crying on the pitch should warrant a 3 match ban

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by HoreTore View Post
    "Hell" means "luck" in norse-speak....
    It does? Maybe it was Turkish, all I know is that a mod got his knickers in a twist over it when I was still a newbie 2-3 years ago.
    Last edited by Greyblades; 11-14-2012 at 16:04.
    Being better than the worst does not inherently make you good. But being better than the rest lets you brag.

Quote Originally Posted by Strike For The South View Post
    Don't be scared that you don't freak out. Be scared when you don't care about freaking out

OUT WITH IT!

Which post was it that finally rustled your jimmies?
    Requesting suggestions for new sig.

-><- GOGOGO GOGOGO WINLAND WINLAND ALL HAIL TECHNOVIKING!SCHUMACHER!
    WHY AM I NOT BEING PAID FOR THIS???

Mr Self Important Senior Member Beskar's Avatar
    Blog Entries

If any posts have itched you the wrong way, feel free to report them, and they will be bring to attention far quicker. Sometimes posts can slip by moderators attention.
    Days since the Apocalypse began
    "We are living in space-age times but there's too many of us thinking with stone-age minds" | How to spot a Humanist
    "Men of Quality do not fear Equality." | "Belief doesn't change facts. Facts, if you are reasonable, should change your beliefs."