Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: There has been too much foul language here of late.

Voluntary Suspension Voluntary Suspension Philippus Flavius Homovallumus's Avatar

Default There has been too much foul language here of late.

I have to say, I'm very disappointed that certain distinguished members have sunk of outright profanity over the last few weeks, now new members are picking up the habit.

It's lazy and it lowers both the tone and the content of our debates - I think it should stop, or the mods should put a stop to it. We don't need to swear here to have grown up discussion, quite the opposite.
    "If it wears trousers generally I don't pay attention."

[IMG]https://img197.imageshack.us/img197/4917/logoromans23pd.jpg[/IMG]

Members thankful for this post (4):

Old Town Road Senior Member Strike For The South's Avatar

Default Re: There has been too much foul language here of late.

I'm European, we have different attitudes toward language.

Also thank you for calling me distinguished. As more people get the senior member tag I need more ways to stick out from the crowd

Your protests have been noted and filed
    There, but for the grace of God, goes John Bradford

My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.

I am tired and sick of war. Its glory is all moonshine. It is only those who have neither fired a shot nor heard the shrieks and groans of the wounded who cry aloud for blood, for vengeance, for desolation.

Do you want to see my big Member spankythehippo's Avatar

I've heard this argument before, and I don't get it. I don't consider any language to be ugly. It's not what is said, it is what is meant. If swearing is used with malicious intent, then there is reason to be offended (although this is subject to debate). In the end, language is just expression. Some people enjoy using certain words. I, for one, do.

What is offensive to one may not be offensive to others. People should just deal with it.

Ranting madman of the .org Senior Member Fly Shoot Champion, Helicopter Champion, Pedestrian Killer Champion, Sharpshooter Champion, NFS Underground Champion Rhyfelwyr's Avatar

I've noticed this as well, I find it unpleasant. I don't have any airs or graces but I only swear once in a blue moon, and when I do I feel bad.

I've heard people try to defend swearing and its value, but I disagree. Below is Stephen Fry's take (warning, lots of swearing):

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

I think the sole purpose of swearing is to let off steam. Beyond that I don't think it will help express anything effectively. The crude and harsh-sounding nature of the words make them inappropriate for intellectual or even normal discussion, while they are too widely used to have the shock value comedians often try to use them for.

Honestly, if I have to see another awful BBC comedy where the comedy value is supposed to come from posh English people swearing, I don't even...
    At the end of the day politics is just trash compared to the Gospel.

I'm just an angry kid, but that is no excuse. I promise to reserve all swearing for Vuk threads.

Voluntary Suspension Voluntary Suspension Philippus Flavius Homovallumus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by spankythehippo View Post
    I've heard this argument before, and I don't get it. I don't consider any language to be ugly. It's not what is said, it is what is meant. If swearing is used with malicious intent, then there is reason to be offended (although this is subject to debate). In the end, language is just expression. Some people enjoy using certain words. I, for one, do.

What is offensive to one may not be offensive to others. People should just deal with it.
    I'm willing to bet I can outswear anyone here, including MRD when he's completely drunk.

The point is - swearing is intellectually lazy - in a debate you swear for emotive effect or to convey a sense of a point of view, an exclamation, or as a way of dismissing your opponent.

None of that actually contributes to the debate - and some of it is actually against Backroom Etiquette.

It has nothing to do withbeing offended by the words.

There aren't any women here, right? So who cares.
    "And if the people raise a great howl against my barbarity and cruelty, I will answer that war is war and not popularity seeking. If they want peace, they and their relatives must stop the war." - William Tecumseh Sherman

“The market, like the Lord, helps those who help themselves. But unlike the Lord, the market does not forgive those who know not what they do.” - Warren Buffett

Quote Originally Posted by rvg View Post
    There aren't any women here, right? So who cares.
    Already pulling out the ole sausage fest card are we? Might as well make a thread about how we all deal with morning wood.

Member thankful for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Philipvs Vallindervs Calicvla View Post
    I'm willing to bet I can outswear anyone here, including MRD when he's completely drunk.

The point is - swearing is intellectually lazy - in a debate you swear for emotive effect or to convey a sense of a point of view, an exclamation, or as a way of dismissing your opponent.

None of that actually contributes to the debate - and some of it is actually against Backroom Etiquette.

It has nothing to do withbeing offended by the words.
    If a person chooses to be intellectually lazy with their words, why should it matter to others? Just filter out the gist of the argument and move on. No need to dwell on individual words.

Swearing, as Rhyfhylwyr says, is a means of letting of steam. Or to further a point, often with the backing of opinion. You won't see a scientific article saying, "Natural killer cells are similar in many respects to motherfuckin' cytotoxic T cells." It just doesn't work.

Use swear words. Just don't abuse them. Then they become bland and cliche.

If a person chooses to be intellectually lazy with their words, why should it matter to others? Just filter out the gist of the argument and move on. No need to dwell on individual words.

Swearing, as Rhyfhylwyr says, is a means of letting of steam. Or to further a point, often with the backing of opinion. You won't see a scientific article saying, "Natural killer cells are similar in many respects to motherfuckin' cytotoxic T cells." It just doesn't work.

They have no value in a debate forum online. Need to let off steam? Go kick a door, then post.

smell the glove Senior Member Major Robert Dump's Avatar

This thread is not about me as I have not been posting. Also, I do not swear.
    Baby Quit Your Cryin' Put Your Clown Britches On!!!

They have no value in a debate forum online. Need to let off steam? Go kick a door, then post.
    I'm not saying that swear words are necessary. But as Stephen Fry said, it's not necessary but it's fun.

I grew up in Australia. I also went to a boys high school. It wasn't until I went to university, that I had to tone down my language. I also never knew that the "C" word (I hate calling it that) is considered the most offensive word of them all, until a lot later in life.

When posting online, I don't swear as much as I do in normal conversation. I am not a fussy person. And I don't riled up about my differences in opinion with others, unlike some people. I quite enjoy when people get riled up, and I'm the only sane person in the room (which is saying something because I'm never the sane one). Nevertheless, people should remember that swear words are just that. They are words. Nothing more, nothing less. If someone gets offended by what someone said, they need to get their priorities straight in life.

If everyone on the internet kicked a door for every swear words they said, this world will be door-less.

There is more swearing? I seriously didn't notice.

"Topic is tired and needs a nap." - Tosa Inu

Members thankful for this post (3):

Quote Originally Posted by Husar View Post
    There is more swearing? I seriously didn't notice.
    Too busy hiding in your T-35 in Karelia I expect.
    There are times I wish they’d just ban everything- baccy and beer, burgers and bangers, and all the rest- once and for all. Instead, they creep forward one apparently tiny step at a time. It’s like being executed with a bacon slicer.

“Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy.”

To learn who rules over you, simply find out who you are not allowed to criticise.

"The purpose of a university education for Left / Liberals is to attain all the politically correct attitudes towards minorties, and the financial means to live as far away from them as possible."

Headless Senior Member Pannonian's Avatar

Swear words in a discussion are ugly. They can have a point in some kinds of discussion, but for the kinds of discussion in the Backroom, they have no point at all.

Standing Up For Rationality Senior Member Ronin's Avatar

"Theres no such thing as bad language...i dont believe that anymore....its ridiculous, they call it debasing of the language..... no!, we are adults..... these are the words that we use to express frustration, rage, anger, in order that we dont pick up a tire iron and beat the sh!% out of someone."
    - Lewis Black
    "If given the choice to be the shepherd or the sheep... be the wolf"
    -Josh Homme
    "That's the difference between me and the rest of the world! Happiness isn't good enough for me! I demand euphoria!"
    - Calvin

Quote Originally Posted by Pannonian View Post
    Swear words in a discussion are ugly. They can have a point in some kinds of discussion, but for the kinds of discussion in the Backroom, they have no point at all.
    There's a balance here. A swearword can underline a hardness of a comment, and that's sometimes important.

On the other hand, swearwords draw a lot of the readers attention, which can make the points being made unclear and forgotten.
    Still maintain that crying on the pitch should warrant a 3 match ban

What makes a swearword a swearword in the first place?

"Topic is tired and needs a nap." - Tosa Inu

master of the pwniverse Member Fragony's Avatar

I'll keep it in mind, I am always having a hard time not sharing my rather particular sense of humour that might be seen as offensive. It isn't meant that way but it could be.

- swearing is intellectually lazy -
    I think that says it all. We have a complex language and a (reportedly) complex brain, it ought to be possible to merge these two wonders and express ourselves clearly and creatively.

That said, I can go for days existing in a space where every second word is pure filth...it's just one of those things :)
    Ja-mata TosaInu

Master of useless knowledge Senior Member Kitten Shooting Champion, Eskiv Champion Ironside's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by HoreTore View Post
    There's a balance here. A swearword can underline a hardness of a comment, and that's sometimes important.

On the other hand, swearwords draw a lot of the readers attention, which can make the points being made unclear and forgotten.
    It has its place even in written text (I occationally use weaker ones here), but in general using 2 or more in one post is a nono and I don't know, more than once every 1/20 posts is too often.

It's handled by a specific part of the brain. Strong emotional content. I'm not sure if sexual and religious swear words are universal, but wouldn't be surprised. Negative body functions probably is.
    Most of the odd ones has a religious backround, that comes from don't say the devil out lound.
    We are all aware that the senses can be deceived, the eyes fooled. But how can we be sure our senses are not being deceived at any particular time, or even all the time? Might I just be a brain in a tank somewhere, tricked all my life into believing in the events of this world by some insane computer? And does my life gain or lose meaning based on my reaction to such solipsism?

Project PYRRHO, Specimen 46, Vat 7
    Activity Recorded M.Y. 2302.22467
    TERMINATION OF SPECIMEN ADVISED

Blog Entries

I have to say, I'm very disappointed that certain distinguished members have sunk of outright profanity over the last few weeks, now new members are picking up the habit.

It's lazy and it lowers both the tone and the content of our debates - I think it should stop, or the mods should put a stop to it. We don't need to swear here to have grown up discussion, quite the opposite.
    Really? We've got a guy spending pages on pages copy pasting content to try to win arguments that are techically impossible and you are complaining about something that is fairly rare and allways edited out by the mods? We cant even say hell without a warning because it's too close to some norse word with worse implications.
    Being better than the worst does not inherently make you good. But being better than the rest lets you brag.

Quote Originally Posted by Strike For The South View Post
    Don't be scared that you don't freak out. Be scared when you don't care about freaking out

Quid 

Poll Smoker Senior Member CountArach's Avatar

Swearing to underline a point is perfectly valid. Swearing is also considered fine in informal discussion amongst friends, and what we have here could hardly be termed formal discussion.

If you hate swearing, you hate friendship.
    Rest in Peace TosaInu, the Org will be your legacy
    Quote Originally Posted by Leon Blum - For All Mankind
    Nothing established by violence and maintained by force, nothing that degrades humanity and is based on contempt for human personality, can endure.

Members thankful for this post (2):

Quote Originally Posted by Greyblades View Post
    Really? We've got a guy spending pages on pages copy pasting content to try to win arguments that are techically impossible and you are complaining about something that is fairly rare and allways edited out by the mods? We cant even say hell without a warning because it's too close to some norse word with worse implications.
    "Hell" means "luck" in norse-speak....
    Still maintain that crying on the pitch should warrant a 3 match ban

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by HoreTore View Post
    "Hell" means "luck" in norse-speak....
    It does? Maybe it was Turkish, all I know is that a mod got his knickers in a twist over it when I was still a newbie 2-3 years ago.
    Last edited by Greyblades; 11-14-2012 at 16:04.
    Being better than the worst does not inherently make you good. But being better than the rest lets you brag.

Quote Originally Posted by Strike For The South View Post
    Don't be scared that you don't freak out. Be scared when you don't care about freaking out

Profanity or Blasphemy - it's really quite an interesting topic.

Of the issues I have is that people have been swearing without understanding how to swear, which is just childish.

Quote Originally Posted by Greyblades View Post
    It hasn't been edited out recently, hence this topic, or it hasn't been edited out anywhewre near quick enough. If Strike used a mid level swear word six-12 hours ago it should be gone by the time I read his post.

TR is someone I can ignore, because he requires neither my time nor respect, and he's boring, so I don't care that he's here mouthing off.

Quote Originally Posted by CountArach View Post
    Swearing to underline a point is perfectly valid. Swearing is also considered fine in informal discussion amongst friends, and what we have here could hardly be termed formal discussion.

If you hate swearing, you hate friendship.
    You have got to be joking.

I only swear when I'm angry - there's no reason for me to swear infront of friends, or in debate. If I am in a debate and I'm angry enough to want to swear I try not to post.

smell the glove Senior Member Major Robert Dump's Avatar

When a Filipina mixes her Ps with her Fs
    And tells me to "Puck off for what I said on Pacebook about her Pamily"
    Does that count as swearing.
    Baby Quit Your Cryin' Put Your Clown Britches On!!!

There is no v in Arabic. It's a bile language.
    This space intentionally left blank.

Nobody expects the Senior Member Lemur's Avatar

I, for one, would like to see more archaic profanity.

To wit, you are all a bunch of consarned ninnyhammers. Strewth!

Bureaucratically Efficient Senior Member TinCow's Avatar

This thread cannot possibly be complete without Carlin.

Members thankful for this post (2):

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast