Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Europa Universalis IV

The Abominable Senior Member Hexxagon Champion Monk's Avatar

Default Europa Universalis IV

It's coming. And oh god is it glorious.

EUIV was announced a couple months back and since then the paradox team has apparently been hard at work. Here, a few paradox devs provide a few video walkthroughs for Gamespot, hoping to answer any questions you might have. What do they say? Oh my goodness, quite a bit! Here's a few links, and a list of everything I saw/heard confirmed.

video 1

video 2
    http://www.gamespot.com/europa-unive...-game-6391927/

Features confirmed in the videos:

Video 1:

• Complete system of Trade Routes which covers the entire world. Trade routes now respond to a faction's "home node" and "flow" to them, over land and over seas. This new system looks to replace the old Centers of Trade system.
    • Passive indication of said routes as well as the more obvious trade map. Passive indications are ships moving on the routes letting you see them at a glance (Reminds me of CA's campaign maps)
    • Trade system seems to be a true focal point of the game. Trade routes "feed" into nodes, and capturing land along the trade route makes it more valuable.
    • Merchant system overhaul. Merchants are no longer currency to spend, but actual characters who are sent on various jobs.
    • Terra Incognita makes its return. The entire world looks to be represented on the game's map.
    • Engine is an updated version of the CKII engine. Very aesthetically pleasing if I do say so.
    • New Rebellion system which gives a HUGE amount of information at a glance. You can see rebel factions as they begin to form "beneath the surface" of your nation, and can negotiate with them before it comes to hostility.
    • New Stability system. Stability rises and falls like it used to, however, it is now increased by spending something called "Administration Points," you no longer drop gold into stability research. No information on what those points are, how you get them, or what else you do with them.
    • Dev speculates that while the game is not yet in alpha state, it is indeed close, and release will happen "6-8 months" after they get to alpha. This would put release sometime close to next Summer/Fall.

Video 2:

• Diplomacy screen completely revised and has a Vicky II feel. Instead of lots of text which explains who is allied to what, each category (at war, truce, alliance, ect) is filled with the relevant nation's flag.
    • More news on Merchants. Merchants are sent directly to other faction's trade nodes and are used to divert money and trade to your trade routes.
    • Map features dynamic seasonal effects. Snow and ice forms in the winter months and will melt in the spring.
    • Teases a post release CK2 DLC that allows you to export your saves from one game to another as something they are considering

Any one of those things would get me seriously interested in the next installment of EU. That they've already got such ambitious design ideas implemented and are not even in alpha yet? I can't wait.
    Last edited by Monk; 11-14-2012 at 07:02.

Members thankful for this post (4):

Poll Smoker Senior Member CountArach's Avatar

Default Re: Europa Universalis IV

I'm always going to buy EUIV regardless of what I hear is in it, but this all sounds positive. I'm glad they didn't just go the whole EU3 + whatever was in Magna Mundi route... though I would totally play that game.
    Rest in Peace TosaInu, the Org will be your legacy
    Quote Originally Posted by Leon Blum - For All Mankind
    Nothing established by violence and maintained by force, nothing that degrades humanity and is based on contempt for human personality, can endure.

I couldn't get into the third one because it was too complicated. I hope the UI is more intuitive this time.

Urwendur Ûrîbêl Senior Member Mouzafphaerre's Avatar

Good news indeed! Thanks for the heads up Monk-sama
    Ja mata Tosa Inu-sama, Hore Tore, Adrian II, Sigurd, Fragony

Mouzafphaerre is known elsewhere as Urwendil/Urwendur/Kibilturg...

Insomniac and tired of it Senior Member Slyspy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by a completely inoffensive name View Post
    I couldn't get into the third one because it was too complicated. I hope the UI is more intuitive this time.
    Intuitive and Paradox do not go together (it is a paradox!). That is part of the fun/challenge/flaws* to be found in their games.

* Please delete those which do not apply to your experience.
    "Put 'em in blue coats, put 'em in red coats, the bastards will run all the same!"

"The English are a strange people....They came here in the morning, looked at the wall, walked over it, killed the garrison and returned to breakfast. What can withstand them?"

What a difference 5 months makes. Well, that difference happens to be about twenty dev diaries or so. Oh my. My focus on CK2 modding and doing other things let them slip through the cracks, and now, I see I have a lot of reading to do!

I haven't had the chance to read them all but if you have the chance and you're curious like I am...

http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/...iaries-Archive

The full archive is here. Just don't get lost in all that information!
    Last edited by Monk; 03-03-2013 at 06:33.

I didn't fully understand EU3 either, but the diplomacy (modeled after CK2) sounds promising, you can actually see what's affecting relationships. I hope they fix the never ending chain alliance (call to war), that is one of the things that put me off playing EU3. I read in the CK2 forum they are going to improve the tutorial, not going to get my hopes up.

They got rid of a lot of stuff, biggest one is the domestic sliders, and redid trade completely...

With the GUI and maps, somehow I think CK2 looks better...

New Dev Diary: http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/...-22-A.E.I.O.U&

Austria details, historical events, bonuses and their special national ideas are detailed. Also of particular note is some information on the HRE. Looks like the Emperor will have much more direct control over who is the electors, with the ability to grant elector status (if there are fewer than 7) or declare war to remove it. The latter of which, I'd imagine, would be a severe relations hit to all over electors.

I also like the idea that client nations can repeal HRE reforms should they beat the emperor in a war. Fighting the centralization in EUIII can sometimes be something of a lost cause.
    Last edited by Monk; 03-09-2013 at 07:50.

New Dev diary.

The concept of alliances get an overall with the introduction of Coalitions, which are alliances built against certain nations. This is a huge change, as it gives the ability to lead containment efforts against growing powers without allying with half of the the map (and getting called into a dozen small wars you want nothing to do with!) Normal alliances are still there but now coalitions are the obvious go to choice when you're trying to take on specific powers, at least from the looks of things.

The dev diary also talks about the new overextension modifier, which has been reworked and changed since a previous diary. Looks like, at least on paper, fairly devastating to blob-tactics. Even if it doesnt put a stop to insane world conquests the fact that the modifier is there by default and easily moddable is a big plus for me.

Read more yourself at: http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/...et-little-lies...
    Last edited by Monk; 03-15-2013 at 10:13.

Member thankful for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Monk View Post
    New Dev diary.

The concept of alliances get an overall with the introduction of Coalitions, which are alliances built against certain nations. This is a huge change, as it gives the ability to lead containment efforts against growing powers without allying with half of the the map (and getting called into a dozen small wars you want nothing to do with!) Normal alliances are still there but now coalitions are the obvious go to choice when you're trying to take on specific powers, at least from the looks of things.

The dev diary also talks about the new overextension modifier, which has been reworked and changed since a previous diary. Looks like, at least on paper, fairly devastating to blob-tactics. Even if it doesnt put a stop to insane world conquests the fact that the modifier is there by default and easily moddable is a big plus for me.

Read more yourself at: http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/...et-little-lies...
    The coalition idea sounds very promising. And no never-ending cascading alliance anymore. Johan wrote, "Warleader now only change during the first 2 months of a war."

Blobbing sounds like it will be really time consuming now, "coring, culture changing, missionaries and buildings are all mutually exclusive. You can only do one of them at a time."

Mr Self Important Senior Member Beskar's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I just hope they change the release vassal to compensate, for example, you take a country and annex it (because you have a core on the capital) then you can release the non-cores as a vassal. That would be a big improvement.
    Days since the Apocalypse began
    "We are living in space-age times but there's too many of us thinking with stone-age minds" | How to spot a Humanist
    "Men of Quality do not fear Equality." | "Belief doesn't change facts. Facts, if you are reasonable, should change your beliefs."

Member Member Alexander the Pretty Good's Avatar

Ideally they'd let you decide what provinces are released with a vassal - in the case where you have multiple possible vassals to form from a given area like Southern France or southern Lithuania.

Members thankful for this post (2):

Blog Entries

Agreed. I am one of those who doesn't really like wanton "blobbing". I would be happy to 'surrender' control to areas for self-sufficiency.
    "We are living in space-age times but there's too many of us thinking with stone-age minds" | How to spot a Humanist
    "Men of Quality do not fear Equality." | "Belief doesn't change facts. Facts, if you are reasonable, should change your beliefs."

Monk 

There's a pre-game signup/referral thing going on that gives some free cosmetic DLCs, ebooks and eu3 when you reach a certain number of referrals.

http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/...s-of-the-World

3 recruitments — Duke / Duchess
    Europa Universalis IV: Winged Hussars Unit Pack DLC
    Europa Universalis IV Golden forum icon
    Europa Universalis IV presents: The Prince by Niccolò Machiavelli with introduction by Johan Andersson

5 recruitments — King / Queen
    All rewards from Duke / Duchess
    Europa Universalis IV presents: The Art of War by Sun Tzu with introduction by Thomas Johansson
    Europa Universalis IV Strategy Guide
    Europa Universalis IV: National Monuments DLC

10 recruitments — Emperor / Empress
    All rewards from Duke / Duchess + King / Queen
    Europa Universalis III Chronicles for free
    Compendium Universalis (10-12 main countries description)
    Special thank you wallpaper signed by the devs (Digital)

100 recruitments — World Conqueror
    All rewards from Duke / Duchess + King / Queen + Emperor / Empress
    50 first will get their names on the credit list in the game
    10 first will get beta access to the game
    3 first will get a trip to Stockholm, and a chance to play MP with the developers
    http://signup.europauniversalis4.com/

Here's my referral link: http://signup.europauniversalis4.com/r/116416c8465

There has been a few new dev diaries too. Mostly about national ideas for different countries, but also on spy actions and war scores and peace negotiation, which I found interesting.

Europa Universalis IV - Call to Arms Stream Highlights

Video highlights of the livestream. The little graphic animations on the map looks really cool.

And they are asking for beta-testers.

Blog Entries

I have 8, so 92 to go!

Europa Universalis IV Hands-on Previews from the Multiplayer Event in Stockholm

The first one is really fun to read, and the videos by quill18 are informative and easy to understand.

Blog Entries

EU4 definitely looks interesting. I like the new trade system though, it will put an end to those old annoying CoT's. I had a Portugal game where I basically had a monopoly on South America and it all went through Lisboa. Then Secura came along taking one of the Caribbean islands then went "lulz" and placed a CoT on it, then suddenly all my trade went away from Lisboa (causing it to stagnate) and went through this random CoT Secura put up.

Yes, I was rather annoyed with that!

Secura 

Annoyingly awesome Member Booger Flick Champion, Run Sam Run Champion, Speed Cards Champion rickinator9's Avatar

I will definitely getting this. Perhaps at release if they removed Cascading Alliances in this one. Cascading Alliances has got to be the concept that made me rage the most... in any game.
    rickinator9 is either a cleverly "hidden in plain sight by jumping on the random bandwagon" scum or the ever-increasing in popularity "What the is going on?" townie. Either way I want to lynch him. - White Eyes

Quote Originally Posted by rickinator9 View Post
    I will definitely getting this. Perhaps at release if they removed Cascading Alliances in this one. Cascading Alliances has got to be the concept that made me rage the most... in any game.
    They did. From Johan: "Also we changed chaining of alliances in a war. Warleader now only change during the first 2 months of a war."

EU4 will be released on 13th August.

There will be two versions: Standard ($39.99) and Digital Extreme Edition ($5 more), which controversially includes "several new events for the Muslim nations" (they are not in Standard version), among other cosmetic DLCs. You can see the details here. The preorder bonus is the 100 Years War Unit Pack DLC: "Adds new, unique unit models to the belligerent nations of the 100 Years War. Included are 11 infantry models for the warring nations, including England, France, Scotland, Burgundy and many more."

Preorder is available at a lot of places (paradox web shop, gamersgate, greenmangaming, etc) but you get 20% off at greenmangaming with voucher code
    GMG20-JLKSA-7A8HA
    GMG links:
    Europa Universalis IV (Standard)
    Europa Universalis IV: Digital Extreme Edition
    Last edited by xploring; 06-05-2013 at 03:56.

Blog Entries

It is on Steam for pre-purchase with 10% off.

It seems there is a ton of DLC, most of it is free, but only if you do certain things like that referral.
    Shown on this page - http://www.europauniversalis4.com/buy

Peerless Senior Member johnhughthom's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gelatinous Cube View Post
    Oy. Day 1 DLC, now? Some people aren't going to like that.
    Meh, if you don't like day 1 DLC, you better give up on Paradox games.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by rickinator9 View Post
    That is @Secura 's favourite feature. :nod:

Thought that was in the latest patch, but if it is in EU4 at least, good.

Annoyingly awesome Member Booger Flick Champion, Run Sam Run Champion, Speed Cards Champion rickinator9's Avatar

Well, I preordered the €45 edition(which I got a discount on for getting EU3 for free, thanks Paradox). I think EUIV will be much better than EUIII in terms of gameplay AND graphics.
    rickinator9 is either a cleverly "hidden in plain sight by jumping on the random bandwagon" scum or the ever-increasing in popularity "What the is going on?" townie. Either way I want to lynch him. - White Eyes

Little Mons†er Senior Member Secura's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tiaexz
    Then Secura came along taking one of the Caribbean islands then went "lulz" and placed a CoT on it, then suddenly all my trade went away from Lisboa (causing it to stagnate) and went through this random CoT Secura put up.
    Hahaha, to be fair I always do this when I colonise that area because the AI has a tendency to do the same thing, usually in an attempt to stop one CoT from becoming so lucrative. It tends to be the first thing New World nations do when they finally accrue the 500 ducats.

It wasn't my intention to kill Lisboa... :P

Quote Originally Posted by Tiaexz
    That is @Secura 's favourite feature. :nod:
    I cannot describe the hatred I have for cascading alliances, which is amplified by the fact the AI never allies with you in the same fashion.
    "Blacker than a moonless night. Hotter and more bitter than Hell itself… that is coffee."

Blog Entries

With the big changes to the networking system in EU4, I will be honest, it looks like a very good opportunity when it comes out for us to try to put together a big Org game.

There are many features such as hot-joining (no needing to restart just for that one player), improved networking connectivity (so no use of hamachi, etc, to get a good experience), and a big host of features which makes it more worthwhile than EU3/CK2 to attempt such a feat on a bigger scale.

Blog Entries

I've never played a paradox game multiplayer. I'd imagine one of the hearts of iron games would be the best for it, but I'd be down for an EU4 game. Got it on pre-order already either way.
    *shivers*
    I have to be honest, HoI imho is the worse out of all of them. EU/CK being the best. Vicky being okay.

I have played EU3 on Multiplayer. I have had some mixed experiences. The worst game I played which involved a few Orgah's was where I was Hungary and pevergreen picked Ottomans, then allied a bunch of muslims plus himself against me, and Castile (who was defender of faith) didn't come to my aid. He took Croatia from me.

I have played a lot of small game skirmishes too, mostly with Secura and it brought a lot more life back into the game. Mostly because there is a country which doesn't do something very derpy, which means bigger and better battles. Though cascading alliances ruined it a lot, as it ended up forcing me and Secura to work together often. Also, me and Secura ended up choosing countries out of eachothers way because it could get rather heated otherwise. A France + Netherlands game, we started having different opinions on what constituted as "Netherlands" or "French" territory.

Though, I watched one of the Dev review diaries which had a big 20 player game and it sounded amazing. The Intrigue and Diplomacy was at a level which the AI would never be able to match and I think coming up with some ground rules, we could recreate a fun and interesting game. I don't think any of us are the type to completely screw people over on an unimaginable level where it comes unplayable.

Edit:Here is an overview of some of the changes which makes it really feasible.
    Last edited by Beskar; 06-13-2013 at 20:24.

Blog Entries

Yeah, some house rules would probably be a good idea. How does CK2 MP work? Can you be the vassal of another player?
    Yes, you can.

Main problem with CK2 MP (same as EU3) is that the multiplayer networking is very flimsy and lets say you ended up disconnected, GC. You have to try to contact us out of game (there will be a delay till you are registered as dc'd) then we would have to save, exit the game, completely reboot from scratch, etc, just to let you rejoin.

Blog Entries

Well I'm glad it seems like they'll be fixing that in EU4. I'm not nearly good enough with computers to do anything more complicated than hitting the "join" button.
    Ports, Re-routing, etc too. Basically only way to do it successfully was to mess around with your firewall, router and hamatchi, otherwise I would have offered to do CK2. The plenteous stuff in EU4 even allows "away modes" so lets say, you had a visit from your mother in a game session for an hour, you can set how you would like the AI to manage your country in your absence (even just for it to hold still, build up gold, keep friends with everyone). This is also where game rules will come in with timings and stuff, trying to find a sweet balance of what can work the best and most successfully.

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast