Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Europa Universalis IV

Mr Self Important Senior Member Beskar's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Europa Universalis IV

My first game as Venice, I took Northern Italy, then I ended up quitting as I didn't have it in Ironman mode. I decided "I will try to form the Netherlands!", did it in Ironman mode.. I actually managed to do it! For some reason, England+France+Austria kept getting in coalitions/Alliances against Burgundy, which allowed me to swoop in and get the required lands. Unfortunately, Netherlands was not an achievement.. doh.

Doing a new game as France at the moment. England has been kicked off the mainland, Burgundy is pretty much in the Netherlands except for its capital (future war target). Biggest issue is, I have a European-sized Coalition on me, so I am playing it safe/building up my armed forces. Also very good friends with Castile.
    Days since the Apocalypse began
    "We are living in space-age times but there's too many of us thinking with stone-age minds" | How to spot a Humanist
    "Men of Quality do not fear Equality." | "Belief doesn't change facts. Facts, if you are reasonable, should change your beliefs."

Member thankful for this post:

Stranger in a strange land Moderator Hooahguy's Avatar

This game looks so tempting (hail Sweden), but I dont have any money so it will just have to wait. Oh well.
    On the Path to the Streets of Gold: a Suebi AAR
    Visited:
    A man who casts no shadow has no soul.
    Hvil i fred HoreTore

Annoyingly awesome Member Booger Flick Champion, Run Sam Run Champion, Speed Cards Champion rickinator9's Avatar

I just found this out: Don't make hasty decisions. The game will punish you for it.

I was playing Muscovy and doing really well. I annexed Novgorod and successfully defended against Lithuania. After that I started to westernise. I should not have done that.

In EUIV, westernisation is done with Stability. If you get positive stability, you will get points and at 100 points, you westernise. However you get Stability -3 when you hit the westernise button and that's where the problems began. It's even more difficult as you have to pay 200% for one Stability level. At first it was still ok. I had a few rebellions and a little bit of money was lost every month, but not much. By the time I had Stability 0 my ruler died and that meant, yes you guessed it, regency time! "Let's remove that carefully accumulated Stability, shall we?". So I went back to getting more Stability and a couple of years later I got this 'Time of Troubles' event. This event caused all of my provinces to get +10 Revolt risk and less tax income. That was the death blow.

I kept playing for some more years until I got like 2 rebellions per month. After that I gave up.
    rickinator9 is either a cleverly "hidden in plain sight by jumping on the random bandwagon" scum or the ever-increasing in popularity "What the is going on?" townie. Either way I want to lynch him. - White Eyes

The Abominable Senior Member Hexxagon Champion Monk's Avatar

Been playing around with the CK2 converter.. it's incredibly robust. It loads up modded games just as well as it does vanilla games for transport into EUIV with very few conflicts. I don't think i noticed any bugs.

Religions are relabeled in the move. Tengri becomes Shamanist and most of the pagan religions around the baltic become Animist. I'm not sure what zoroastrianism becomes.

Be aware that Crown Authority is super important in importing your saves. Low/min crown authority will essentially break up your realm into vassal states. So if you are a kingdom, your most powerful dukes will become vassal nations unto themselves. Under lower authorities only the lands directly controlled by you as apart of your demesne will then makeup your main nation. Might be a good reason to push toward high authority right before converting.

Saves from pre 1.11 seem to have issues with traits. Looks like the patch broke a few dozen things, so i wouldn't try importing anything from there. Though you might get lucky, you'll probably have to start new games with the intention to import.

Other than that? I don't know what else to report other than it's freaking amazing. Paradox made a converter that works with modded games as well as unmodded. How cool is that?
    Last edited by Monk; 08-14-2013 at 05:22.

Quote Originally Posted by Chaotix View Post
    Had my first try starting as Oda Nobunaga around 1550. Wanted to see if I could recreate his unification of Japan.

I was doing reasonably well for myself, managed to conquer three additional provinces from my one-province-minor state. Alliances are both crucial and very easy to form at the beginning.

Then came the Catholic missionaries. Okay, so they had actually been there anyway. They had converted one of my provinces before I conquered it in the first place. Every 5 years or so they would rise up with a big 7-regiment stack that I couldn't deal with, and the Shogun had to come in and save me. This happened twice, and then they rose up with an 11-regiment stack. It also got to the point where my conversion stalled out at 42% because foreign traders started flooding in and presumably I didn't have the tech to kick them out or beat them with my missionary. Anyway, this time the Shogun just decided to sit there and wait with their larger army while the rebels sieged my province. There was pretty much no way I could dislodge them, and then when I thought it couldn't get worse, ANOTHER larger rebel stack popped up as well. 26k soldiers sitting in my capital after sieging the first province. Even the Shogun couldn't deal with that.

And that's when I ragequit.

I think I'll try something in Europe next. But there will come a time, when my EU-fu is good enough, that I will retry that Oda Nobunaga campaign.
    A good guide for playing Japan, may help when you feel like playing them again.
    http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/...-Playing-Japan

Looks like it's a bug, lot of players reporting the same thing
    http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/...spawner-events!
    Last edited by xploring; 08-14-2013 at 06:27.

Blog Entries

So I started as england in the middle of the 100 year war, my troops were split into three with about half my entire army scattered around france just ready to be picked off, I rage-restarted several times trying to save my troops and win the war and the one time I managed to gather my entire army into one place the french steamrolled me, so I surrendered and gave them Gascony, Caux and Labourd.

I then spent the next 50 years licking my wounds, picking on the scots and the irish, I took most of scotland's land in a single defensive war, annexed all but connaught with ease and ended up annexing scotland, surprisingly without comment from france. Yet when I went for connaught they had formed a coalition against me with The old blue blob, so while I had managed to take the irish provinces France had taken Normandie and Calais. It took two decades of stalemate and blockade to make france let me annex connaught and that was only because the spanish invaded them while they were occupied (I dislike that, I cant annex a nation right next to me only because thier overseas ally refuses to give up?)

After that I spent half a decade recovering and I rejoined the war with france (she had somehow managed to piss off half of the HRE and was getting thrashed) and managed to grab maine and artois and peace out with few casualties. Funnily enough right after that spain decided to peace with france... and actually ordered them to give me back my lost lands! After a few more wars I ended up taking all of the french costal provinces save for brittany and link up my two french blocks, then denmark decided to ally with france. Denmark, while I was occupied with france had taken over both norway and sweden and had become the new powerhouse of norther europe and had a navy almost as big as mine.

Needless to say my french conquest ended there and I turned to the new world. Aside from the occasional skirmish with my previous friend spain, the only important event to happen was when I annexed the entire chereokee nation. Apparantly taking over 20 provinces at a time is a bad idea as I had to contend with a slew of overextention penalties including rebellions and a tanked economy. I am not ashamed to say that I had to save scum a little as france kept invading me, any attempts to appease them was refused because of a -1000 relations penalty that consisted of "wants to annex me", seeing as I had a severely underfunded millitary and was hugely in debt it was very likely they would succeed. So I loaded an earlier save, joined the anti france coalition before they attacked and it's warded them off thus far.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2013-08-14_00001.jpg 
Views:	299 
Size:	363.0 KB 
ID:	10578
    Last edited by Greyblades; 08-14-2013 at 17:11.
    Being better than the worst does not inherently make you good. But being better than the rest lets you brag.

Quote Originally Posted by Strike For The South View Post
    Don't be scared that you don't freak out. Be scared when you don't care about freaking out
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Strategist and Storyteller Member Myth's Avatar

So to contrast EU with CK, this game is a world-domination conquest type game? You can grab one nation and paint the whole map in your colour? Because that's nigh-on-impossible in CK2.
    The art of war, then, is governed by five constant
    factors, to be taken into account in one's deliberations,
    when seeking to determine the conditions obtaining in the field.

These are: (1) The Moral Law; (2) Heaven; (3) Earth;
    (4) The Commander; (5) Method and discipline.
    Sun Tzu, "The Art of War"
    Like totalwar.org on Facebook!

Strategist and Storyteller Member Myth's Avatar

Sounds like someone will be playing as the Jomsviknigs http://www.pcgamer.com/2013/08/14/th...ave-converter/

So will Paradox make a classical antiquity game to pre-date CKII?
    The art of war, then, is governed by five constant
    factors, to be taken into account in one's deliberations,
    when seeking to determine the conditions obtaining in the field.

These are: (1) The Moral Law; (2) Heaven; (3) Earth;
    (4) The Commander; (5) Method and discipline.
    Sun Tzu, "The Art of War"
    Like totalwar.org on Facebook!

strategy gamer Member Enemy Shooting Champion, Rabbit Hunter Champion, Eggs Champion, Kaboom Champion, Money Money Money Champion, Rapid Motion Champion, Super Fishing Champion komnenos's Avatar

I really like that use this converting method and apply it for EU4-Victoria. Is it possible to do it?
    He who has bread has many problems;

He who has no bread has only one problem.

Byzantine Proverb

Annoyingly awesome Member Booger Flick Champion, Run Sam Run Champion, Speed Cards Champion rickinator9's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by komnenos View Post
    I really like that use this converting method and apply it for EU4-Victoria. Is it possible to do it?
    There is no official converter that converts EUIV to Vicky II, but I am sure some fan converters will be made.

---

For me the single best addition to EUIV is the new production interface. No more silly micromanagement and you can immediately see what effects the building/unit will have on the province where you want to build it.
    rickinator9 is either a cleverly "hidden in plain sight by jumping on the random bandwagon" scum or the ever-increasing in popularity "What the is going on?" townie. Either way I want to lynch him. - White Eyes

Mr Self Important Senior Member Beskar's Avatar
    Blog Entries

You know what I have found interesting. if you win the Hundred Years War with England against France, your choice is to "Form Personal Union".
    Days since the Apocalypse began
    "We are living in space-age times but there's too many of us thinking with stone-age minds" | How to spot a Humanist
    "Men of Quality do not fear Equality." | "Belief doesn't change facts. Facts, if you are reasonable, should change your beliefs."

Quote Originally Posted by Tiaexz View Post
    You know what I have found interesting. if you win the Hundred Years War with England against France, your choice is to "Form Personal Union".
    Because they fought over the french throne IIRC.

Something tells me the Ottomans were overpowered. I lost every battle where I didn't outnumber them two to one and then even sometimes when I had the river crossing bonus. Hell in the entire war, I had to sacrifice 80000 Russian men to actually kill 10000 stupid Turks. They didn't have a tech advantage, but they did have a small discipline advantage of 15%. That's so small, so that couldn't have been it. Perhaps Ottoman units are better than Russian units?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Tiaexz View Post
    if you win the Hundred Years War with England against France
    How?
    Being better than the worst does not inherently make you good. But being better than the rest lets you brag.

Quote Originally Posted by Strike For The South View Post
    Don't be scared that you don't freak out. Be scared when you don't care about freaking out

I wanted to get this game so I could start on my Americas mod, and now this thread is making me want to get it even more, it sounds like so much fun.

Too bad my 5 year-old laptop won't run it.

Senior Member Senior Member Ibn-Khaldun's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I'm waiting until the Christmas to get this game. Hopefully it will cost less than 40€ then..

I see what you did there, Johan...

strategy gamer Member Enemy Shooting Champion, Rabbit Hunter Champion, Eggs Champion, Kaboom Champion, Money Money Money Champion, Rapid Motion Champion, Super Fishing Champion komnenos's Avatar

I want to start with Byzantium in this game but I'm sure that that I can't defeat Ottomans at all. Can you do it?

Byzantine Proverb

I want to start with Byzantium in this game but I'm sure that that I can't defeat Ottomans at all. Can you do it?
    I haven't tried yet, but you'll probably need a lot of Galleys. After you have built a big fleet, wait until the Ottoman army is in Anatolia. Then, declare war, block the strait of Marmara with your fleet and you're free to siege all their provinces in Greece.

Has anyone encountered this yet:

I'm not sure what to do. I don't have any other saves sitting in the cloud.

Yes it's a good idea, I'll try it. The most challenging part of this game is achieving victorious by Byzantium. It needs a lot of strategies and efforts to achieve success.

Byzantine Proverb

The Bad Doctor Senior Member Chaotix's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by rickinator9 View Post
    Has anyone encountered this yet:

I'm not sure what to do. I don't have any other saves sitting in the cloud.
    Well, I haven't been saving to the cloud, but I'll let you know if I come across it.

One thing I have noticed is that later in the game (about 200 years in for me) the game occasionally stops, goes to a black screen, and then reloads the map. Happens particularly when I would zoom out, but also just moving around. I'm thinking it's probably just graphical/performance issues, but my computer runs most games just fine on highest settings; never had any problem like that in CK2.

Oh, another one. Whenever I try to reload my savegames, there's a message that says achievements will be disabled because the save was modified or doesn't belong to me... but neither of these things are true.
    Keep your friends close, and your enemies closer: The Gameroom

Member Member Alexander the Pretty Good's Avatar

Well done. Shame you couldn't free Constantinople, but what can you do? Also, what is the blue-green in China?

Little Mons†er Senior Member Secura's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gelatinous Cube View Post
    You can't demand a nation's capital in a peace deal unless its their last province, no matter how unfortunately-placed that province is.
    I know this is a stupid question, but did you fabricate a claim on Constantinople?

I ask because during the MP game, I fab'd a claim on Aragon's capital Valencia having taken the provinces around it and was able to take it in the deal, which then forced Aragon to relocate her capital.
    "Blacker than a moonless night. Hotter and more bitter than Hell itself… that is coffee."

So, general question:

I'm having trouble balancing Tech, Ideas, and the many other things (cores, buildings, etc.) that you can do with your Admin/Diplo/Military points. How do you guys typically manage to keep up with the tech race when just about everything else you want to do is going to slow you down? Is there a specific strategy to employ?

Like GC, I wound up far behind in the Diplo tech race because I used it to get myself a lot of expansionist ideas... except I'm playing Portugal, so it was slightly more severe. I've managed to recover, but now my Admin tech is far behind, and I'm not too sure why. I know spending periodically on stability is part of it, but I can't seem to catch back up. Luckily it doesn't seem to matter too much, as it's 1640, England is dead, Spain is broken, and France is my ally, and I have easily the largest colonial empire, with my fingertips finally starting to reach the East Indies. Any problems I have I can usually just pour money into.

After the release of the great game, EU4, today I saw three nice news that I hadn’t read before. First I saw that another new patch (1.111) and new DLC of CK2 has been released (I mean Customary DLC). The patch was good but I didn’t expect this useless DLC and I think it isn’t worth to buy.
    But the second news I faced, was really great. I mean the news of upcoming game, War of the Vikings. I think it will be much better than War of the Roses.

Byzantine Proverb

Quote Originally Posted by Gelatinous Cube View Post
    Aaand you're right. I even did that to Venice earlier in the game, and forgot I did it. Good call, might have to load up that save and finish it...
    Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by Chaotix View Post
    I'm having trouble balancing Tech, Ideas, and the many other things (cores, buildings, etc.) that you can do with your Admin/Diplo/Military points. How do you guys typically manage to keep up with the tech race when just about everything else you want to do is going to slow you down? Is there a specific strategy to employ?
    As a rule, I avoid picking an Administration idea group for the first few group slots; I prefer to use those points for creating cores, stabilising and levelling tech up for more idea groups. I tend to steer towards the diplomacy idea groups first and foremost, unless I'm playing as a particularly war-focused nation like Muscovy or France.
    "Blacker than a moonless night. Hotter and more bitter than Hell itself… that is coffee."

Finished my first campaign as Portugal yesterday... here's some pics of the empire I forged:

Overall, 7th best (interestingly enough, both historically and in-game). Not bad for my first game.

I mainly focused on trade, but that also led me to a lot of empire-building. Managed to get all of my tech up to speed by the 1750s, which is nice.

Early game, my alliances with England and Castile kept me safe, and I focused a couple of wars on taking the Moroccan coast. Castile quickly warred Aragon into submission and created Spain, while England themselves got hit very hard by the 100 years war, and had to release Cornwall. This quickly spiraled into total destruction, with Scotland and Cornwall dividing up England between themselves and Ireland uniting in the chaos. Around 1700 Scotland managed to create Britain by removing Cornwall from the picture (forming a historical Stuart dynasty, in fact).

The early game as Portugal very quickly forces you to learn about the trade system. You have a trade center with huge potential - Seville - but in order to really get it going, you need to pull in trade from Africa. I was the first nation to start building colonies, and I started with several outposts along the African coasts, designed so that i could use my Merchants to pull trade around the Cape, up to the Ivory Coast, and from there to the Mauritanian Coast and finally to Seville, where I could reap the rewards.

There was also, of course, Brazil.

Brazil is kind of a unique trade node in that it only has outward flow. That said the trade only goes in one direction - Ivory Coast. So it added to my already growing trade power.

By this point England was gone, so I allied with France and broke my alliance with Spain. This also allowed me to take Andalusia and Gibraltar from them, which boosted my trade power in the node even further.

Side note: see all those Latin American states? They were all part of Spain until about 20 years before the end, where I beat them so badly that I forced them to be released.

With England out of the picture, Spain and France were the only other early colonial powers, and they mostly focused on North America; eventually the Netherlands joined in as well. I managed to snatch Cuba and the Bahamas before they could get to it, but I couldn't get Bermuda. The USA is Portuguese in culture; I colonized New England early on, but had no real use for it once France and Netherlands boxed me in, so I let them go when they revolted and I made them my ally.

One thing I have noticed is that the colonial powers really do not seem to like conquering the natives. They are sort of content to just colonize the empty space and leave the native civilizations alive. Not a single American civilization was ever fully conquered in the game.

Eventually I managed to make my way out east and into the Spice trade, which was nice. Never got around to invading India or China, but I did get Ceylon and Taiwan.

After 1700, Spain and France exploded with their colonialism. France got Australia (and much of Africa) and Spain got New Zealand. I guess they hit the point where colonial range didn't matter any more, because they didn't have any midway-points. Speaking of midway, I got to Midway Island first, as well as Hawaii, Tahiti, Easter Island, and Micronesia.

When France went revolutionary, they got really dangerous and became my rival. It was then that I learned the meaning of "economic warfare". 80 frigates and a merchant sitting in Seville, sucking away half of my glorious trade income and sending it to Bordeaux. It took an embargo from both me and Spain and some ships pulling trade back from Bordeaux just to get my trade income back to a reasonable level. Eventually they left me alone, but every few years they kept coming back to mess with me. In particular the embargo does not seem quite powerful enough... if I own the provinces and I'm keeping their ships out, why are they even able to get anything? Smuggling, I suppose.

They also managed to inherit Austria through personal union, which has to be screwed up because they were a republic. They must have had the royal marriage before the revolution (Marie Antoinette I suppose?) but that should probably be canceled with the change to non-noble republican government. Seems broken, perhaps Paradox will fix it.

Overall, a fun game, and it taught me the basics. Thinking of something simpler like Poland next time. Or maybe try to form Brandenburg->Prussia->Germany.

Excellent! The pictures are tantalizing me to buy the game but unfortunately I'm busy now and I can't buy it. After finishing my school (after 9 months), I will get it and first play as Byzantium and then as Portugal.

Byzantine Proverb

I will get it and first play as Byzantium and then as Portugal.
    Byzantium is in an incredibly dire situation at the game's start (11/11/1444), surrounded by the Ottomans and most routes of expansion guaranteed by them. It's possible to succeed, but I don't think it's a good entry level nation.

I suggest starting with Castile or Portugal to get used to the new mechanics.

In my opinion the country which you choose in this game should be like that, hard and full of stress to achieve success! And winning this game with countries like Byzantium shows your real skills and strategy. You will enjoy the game more when you win with such these countries.

Byzantine Proverb

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast