Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Europa Universalis IV

Annoyingly awesome Member Booger Flick Champion, Run Sam Run Champion, Speed Cards Champion rickinator9's Avatar

Default Re: Europa Universalis IV

Still I would not try Byzantium as your first try. You start with 5000 troops, while the Ottomans start with 30000. I would advise Muscovy as your first start.
    rickinator9 is either a cleverly "hidden in plain sight by jumping on the random bandwagon" scum or the ever-increasing in popularity "What the is going on?" townie. Either way I want to lynch him. - White Eyes

The Abominable Senior Member Hexxagon Champion Monk's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by rickinator9 View Post
    Still I would not try Byzantium as your first try. You start with 5000 troops, while the Ottomans start with 30000. I would advise Muscovy as your first start.
    Let the boy win his spurs.

Member thankful for this post:

a site that lets you view playthroughs

and

over 25 new national ideagroups for @E_Universalis in the 1.2 patch.. ETA, late september
    https://twitter.com/producerjohan/st...15121267679232

Ferret 

Annoyingly awesome Member Booger Flick Champion, Run Sam Run Champion, Speed Cards Champion rickinator9's Avatar

Here's a replay of one of our MP campaigns: http://www.eu4replay.com/?file=mp_Ho...06_28.eu4.trim
    • Tiaexz as France
    • Greyblades as England/Great Britain
    • rickinator9 as Austria/HRE
    rickinator9 is either a cleverly "hidden in plain sight by jumping on the random bandwagon" scum or the ever-increasing in popularity "What the is going on?" townie. Either way I want to lynch him. - White Eyes

Mr Self Important Senior Member Beskar's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Admittedly the map blanks out rather quickly.

Uploaded this one too.

Tiaexz as Brandenburg/Prussia
    Greyblades as England/Great Britain
    Rick as Uzbeks
    Secura as Castile/Spain
    Last edited by Beskar; 08-31-2013 at 12:37.
    Days since the Apocalypse began
    "We are living in space-age times but there's too many of us thinking with stone-age minds" | How to spot a Humanist
    "Men of Quality do not fear Equality." | "Belief doesn't change facts. Facts, if you are reasonable, should change your beliefs."

Members thankful for this post (2):

Blog Entries

Dat 1.2 Patch

DLC next week!
    American Dream: (big) Contains events (over 30 of them), decisions, graphics.
    Monument DLC: (small) additional terrain map city models, inc. Machu Pikku

Patch 1.2 out: 'Next Week'
    Thousands of lines of code long, a fairly mahoosive patch. Will hit us with bugfixes galore, tweaks to existing mechanics and brand new features.

New features
    6 new achievements
    Grand Coalition - 6 nations in coalition
    Winter Tsars
    Luck of the Irish - conquer British Isles
    Sunset Invasion - Aztecs conquer Lisbon London Madrid Paris Rome
    New Coalition & Opinion 2D mapmodes
    Borderless windowed mode direct from Settings
    Copy/paste in textboxes
    Can now release vassal and play as them
    Admin Points for inflation reduction - no need to get Economic Ideas for actions anymore.
    You can now add provinces to the empire, if they border a seazone bordering the empire.
    You will be able to surrender to the AI without +10 Warscore via a 'What do you want?' button

Adding over 25 new national ideagroups, including:
    Serbia
    Orissa
    Granada
    Taungu
    Malaya
    Punjab
    Switzerland
    Tibet
    Ragusa

Tweaks
    Coalitions will now always join in a war; there is no truce penalty breaking if a coalition is called in a defensive war. AI cannot decline warleader alliance negotiation
    Reduced outgoing trade value increase (20% -> now 5%) from forwarding merchants to prevent absurd value accumulations of 1000 of ducats in home nodes
    Maxmorale can no longer be below the threshold where you can move troops.
    Defeat rebels mission no longer gives +2 stability.
    Border Friction being reworked/nerfed
    Navies can not be exiled.
    Fixing constant Japanese destruction by Catholicism

Bugfixes
    Annexing a country will no longer reset your steering in their tradenodes.
    Exiled units can no longer loot.
    Overseas colonies will never cause overextension
    Fixed a bug which caused shattered retreats to not work while in hostile territory
    Last edited by Beskar; 09-18-2013 at 03:18.
    "We are living in space-age times but there's too many of us thinking with stone-age minds" | How to spot a Humanist
    "Men of Quality do not fear Equality." | "Belief doesn't change facts. Facts, if you are reasonable, should change your beliefs."

Members thankful for this post (3):

Blog Entries

Read-me is covered over several topics, it is a large one.

Quote Originally Posted by Tiaexz View Post
    Read-me is covered over several topics, it is a large one.
    Quite sad that we two are the only ones left for the MP games.

Little Mons†er Senior Member Secura's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by rickinator9 View Post
    Quite sad that we two are the only ones left for the MP games.
    I'm still okay for playing, actually! I played a Muscovy-Tuscany game with Tiaexz last weekend that didn't go horribly wrong. :3

I'm just not very good at these games (especially this one, I'm still struggling to manage monarch points adequately!) and aside of some brief MP with you and GB, I've only played with Tiaexz; his plans for expansion and such are usually complementary to my own and the pair of us are usually allies throughout the game. xD
    "Blacker than a moonless night. Hotter and more bitter than Hell itself… that is coffee."

Blog Entries

How could you steal from Secura's trade-node, Rick?!

Bad enough when you stole Socrates from me and supported those evil rebellions, I changed governments more than underwear.
    Last edited by Beskar; 09-27-2013 at 18:46. Reason: light hearted fun

Bureaucratically Efficient Senior Member TinCow's Avatar

I've been playing for the last week or two now. Finished games as England -> GB, Florence -> Italy, and Brandenburg -> Prussia -> Germany -> HRE. All were Ironman except the England game. So, I figured I'd give one my EU3 favorites a try: Byzantium. Holy hell are they hard. I must have restarted 20 times before I was able to get myself into a situation where the Ottomans didn't steamroll me in the first 5 years. I eventually succeeded with a strategy I found on reddit. Basically, I DOWed Serbia immediately (taking stab hit) before the Ottomans warned me, annexed them, cored them, fabricated on Bosnia, DOWed Bosnia (not adjacent to Ottomans, so they didn't join in), annexed Bosnia, cored Bosnia. At that point I had enough provinces that Hungary and Poland (in PU with Lithuania) were willing to ally with me. The Ottomans had the mission to take Constantinople and kept their troops stacked around the city, but I guess my allies were strong enough to keep them from attacking because they never did. When the warning expired, I annexed Wallachia as well. By this point Poland had changed me to a rival, so I lost their alliance. However, they had split in their PU with Lithuania, so I picked up Lithuania as an ally and also managed to grab Castile (which I figured would be useful for their navy). By that point I had an army of 14k and a navy of over 20 galleys (over my force limit, but I could afford it). I then sat around and waited for a good opportunity to take on the Ottomans. A great one popped up with a war in their east that dropped their army down to 15k, but I missed it because I was in a Regency at the time and couldn't DOW. Eventually another war distracted them. I checked my DOW screen and it said that Hungary, Lithuania, and Castile would all join the war, so I declared and attacked. I wrecked their navy easily, blockaded, and started besieging. After a few months the Ottoman army came back around the north of the Black Sea, at which point I noticed no activity at all from my allies. I checked the war tab and noticed that none of my allies were in the war. I have no idea how that happened. Since it said they all would have joined I assume that somehow I unclicked the call-allies checkbox before I DOWed. By that point it was too late in the war to get them to join in, so I was all on my own. I won the first battle, but a second Ottoman stack obliterated my entire army and that was the end. I tried to build a second army, but they besieged everything and prevented me from forming a new army from the fresh recruits. I put it on full speed and watched as the Ottomans quickly captured every province. I then quit in disgust.

Such a great start after so many failed starts, and it all gets screwed up likely because of a single errant mouse click on my part. Now I've got to start all over again...
    Last edited by TinCow; 10-18-2013 at 14:21.

My second trek through the Byzantine world was also eventful, though ultimately successful. I got back to about the same spot as I listed above within about 3 restarts. The strategy of immediately DOWing Albania for cash, along with a simultaneous DOW on Serbia (when the 1 month cooldown is over) is a pretty much guaranteed success. You'll get warned by the Ottomans before you can DOW a third time, but those two are all your need to get started. Annex Serbia and start coring it. You should have begun improving relations with Hungary also on Day 1. Once you've annexed Serbia, fabricate a claim on Bosnia. When that claim is granted, DOW Bosnia and annex them as well (Ottomans will not join as Bosnia is not adjacent to them). Sometimes you can grab Wallachia this way as well, as they tend to ally with Bosnia. Between Serbia, Bosnia, and your starting provinces, you will now be up to about 10 provinces plus vasselized Athens. This is large enough to make the nearby major powers pay attention to you and consider an alliance. Hungary should be easy to get, and other easy options are Poland and Austria. Having a few of those guys as allies seems to prevent the Ottomans from going after you, even when they have a mission to do so. Then just wait for your opportunity to pounce and take back your Balkan territories. A lot of the Byz island cores seem to have a tendency to revolt to you at various points during wars. I got Naxos, Rhodes, and Cyprus without having to lift a finger for them.

In my second bout, my first attempt to regain the Balkans did not go well. I was allied with Hungary and Poland/Lithuania, which I thought was more than enough to overwhelm the Ottomans. Ottomans ended up at war somewhere out east, so I watched and waited for some damage to be done to their armies. Shortly before I DOWed, Hungary broke their alliance with me. I didn't think that was too big a problem as Poland/Lithuania were pretty big. So, I picked my moment and DOWed the Ottomans. Unfortunately, only a few months into the war Hungary ended up at war with Poland. As a result, all of Poland/Lithuania's armies were focused on Hungary and the Ottoman stacks came marching right back west unmolested and creamed me. I managed to get out of that war with several provinces occupied by releasing Athens as an independent state. Fortunately, no one ever allied with Athens and the Ottoman warning on me expired, so after my 5 year truce with Athens was up I simply DOWed and re-annexed them, resulting in status quo from before the initial war. I rebuilt my alliances and my second war with the Ottomans went much better and I regained about 5 Balkan provinces. It took two further wars to take back all of the Balkans, and several more to push into Asia Minor, but it wasn't difficult at that point. Amazingly, Georgia actually survived and, eventually, thrived in this game, becoming a valuable ally to the east. Ukraine also broke away from Lithuania and became another major Orthodox power, taking Moldova and most of the Crimean lands. Between those two, myself, and Muscovy, there was actually a very strong and solid Orthodox power bloc for most of the game, which I had never seen before.

I had some bumps in the road. Specifically, The Peasants' War. That thing popped on me after my second Asia Minor war and it was a close thing. My manpower was shot, my armies were at half strength and falling, and the rebels would not stop popping. I eventually solved the problem by simply resting my armies in safe provinces and using mercenaries to fight the rebels while my manpower recovered. After several years I got the event allowing me to buy my way out of the problem, which I did with loans. I was very lucky that no one chose to attack me while that was going on, as I would have been obliterated easily. 20 years later, I got the same damn event a second time. That time I was in far better shape though and was able to crush the rebels without resorting to mercs.

My next major problem was a doozy. Up pops the event telling me my heir is sick and giving me an option of paying money for 50% odds that he dies, or paying nothing with 75% odds that he dies. The guy had crappy stats, so I chose the latter. He died, of course. Unfortunately, no new heir popped up behind him. And then my Emperor died about 5 months later. And I was inherited by Muscovy, which was the most powerful nation in the game at that point. I tried to break away by reducing relations with Muscovy since their King was somewhat old, but I couldn't get my own peoples' views of Muscovy down low enough so the PU didn't break. At that point, my only option was an Independence War. Muscovy was allied with HRE Austria and about 6 other nations, an alliance I didn't think I could possibly beat. It looked like it could be 100 years of PU if I didn't break it, so I figured I'd go out in a war instead of just quitting. Amazingly, I managed to win the war. The enemy forces at the start outnumbered me about 6 to 1 (~600k to my ~100k). Fortunately, I had taken the Defense military idea line and had already maxed it out, so my forts held out for long periods and attrition on the enemy was terrible. I also had a vastly superior navy to all of the rest of the powers, which I used to my advantage. I pull my armies over to Asia Minor and went back across to ambush small stacks whenever I could. Sometimes I was able to lure individual large stacks of the enemy across to Asia Minor, and then trapped them with my navy and destroyed them, helping my war score considerably. I lost provinces slowly, but the attrition from these tactics really wore down my enemies and my own manpower stayed very high despite the occupied provinces since I was picking my battles carefully. I was able to get peace with individual enemies one by one until the odds against me were more even and I was even able to capture a few provinces back. Battle victories and war exhaustion eventually allowed me to win my independence in a peace deal with about 27% war score, despite my armies never having left my own territory.

I later Westernized, got the Basileus achievement, completed the conquer Southern Italy mission, and restored the Pentarchy by capturing and converting Rome, Aleppo, Judea, and Alexandria. The Italian stuff was particularly difficult as I had to contend with some ridiculous late-game super powers. Spain formed and totally overwhelmed France, taking all of Southern France, the entire Biscay coast, and all Med provinces east to northern Italy, along with some extra stuff in between. Austria in turn united the HRE into a behemoth including all of the original territory minus a somewhat large Bohemia, but also including a Pommerania which managed to form Prussia. As such, the HRE state also included most of Belgium, northern Italy, and Poland, up to the Livonian areas. Great Britain also formed and colonized massive swathes of the world, including pretty much all of North America east of Mexico. Including me and Muscovy (which never managed to form Russia despite being massive), the wars from these powers were absolutely absurd. I did my best to stay friendly with Spain and Muscovy, and managed to help break down HRE somewhat, and I forced GB to release the USA as a way to curb their power a bit. (22% warscore for releasing about 40 provinces?! Sold!) I've still got about 50 years to go, but I don't expect to accomplish much more. I'll bite off some extra bits off the Mamluks (who remained the Major ME power without the Ottomans to deal with) and maybe push a bit further into Italy, but I consider this game a success and managed to turn Byzantium into a superpower in the 1.2 patch setup in Ironman. It's possible!
    Last edited by TinCow; 10-22-2013 at 22:16.

For the first time ever in a Paradox Development Studio game, players are given the chance to discover a completely randomized American continent, where no playthrough will ever be the same.

Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise makes it possible for you to play as a Native American nation and master the federation mechanics, as well as unique national ideas, buildings and events. You may also take command of a Colonial Nation, declare colonial war, or even strive for liberty from your motherland.

Read the first developer diary for the expansion here:
    http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/...eloper-diary-1

The changes to exploration will be explored in a live stream on November 7, featuring Europa Universalis IV Project Lead Thomas Johansson. To see Conquest of Paradise firsthand, join the stream at 8 p.m. CET / 11 a.m. PST on Paradox Interactive’s Twitch.tv channel at www.twitch.tv/paradoxinteractive.

Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise will release on all major digital-download portals on December 11th, 2013.

Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise – Dev diary 2: Exploring a new world
    Since this is announcement week for Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise, I have a treat for you. Two developer diaries in one week
    From this point forward, Fridays will be the regular dev diary day up until the release of the expansion on December 11th.

Exploring a new world
    One of the most exciting things for me, about playing Europa Universalis IV is exploration - going for Conquest of the New World Idea early, recruiting an explorer, detaching some of your precious few ships and sending them out across the seas. When you find land, you need to build a base to extend your range and keep going, slowly mapping the potential borders of your new empire.
    With the Europa Universalis IV:Conquest of Paradise expansion, we are adding a new dimension to the exploration aspect, namely the fact that you will no longer know exactly what you are going to find. This will add true exploration to the game as well as a new challenge to those players that have optimized their strategies by knowing exactly where the New World is and where you need to base yourself to optimize colonial range.

The random new world is completely optional
    First off; the random new world feature is a completely optional expansion feature that is activated from the country selection screen. If you want your safe old (new) world, just don’t activate it.
    However, once activated, the world is randomized when you start the game. This, of course, means that half of the world will not look like it does in the country selection screen.

The borders of your brave new world
    To keep the balance of the game reasonable, we have to make impose limitations, so only North and South America will be randomized. Technically the area is decided by a rectangle on the map that covers the Americas and Greenland, but not the Azores. To still be able give you the proper Europa Universalis IV feeling, we are also limiting random the new world to 1444-starts and you won’t be able to have a random new world using the Crusader King II save game converter. As the random new world generator gets more polished,we’ll see if something can be changed, but right now we can´t promise that it will ever happen.

Generating a new world map
    So, you start the game. The first thing that happens under the hood is the game will generate continents and mountains. Continents will be fairly random (no tectonic plates, sorry!), and most of the time you will have plenty of areas to colonize, but odd things may happen.
    Provinces will be allocated and assigned to trade nodes/continents etc. We are using the real world province names and trying to keep provinces that are close in the real world close in the random world as well. Our trade node network is fairly well balanced right now and needs to be kept constant, so the nodes and their incoming and outgoing links are the same, but the nodes are spread out across the world, and early playtests indicate that this works well. Then, of course the native tribes are spaced out so the New World gets some population. Currently, we have most stuff done for the New World, but it’s the kind of thing that you could, in theory, polish forever. The screens you see are not final.

A brand new strategy in Multiplayer
    The Random New World will definitely introduce a new factor for Europa Universalis IV games, especially for multiplayer. No longer can you optimize your strategy based on the knowledge of exactly how much colonial range you need and where your stepping stones are going to be. I’m really looking forward to when we can restart our office multiplayer game with a random new world

Have a lovely weekend!

Bonus: Europa Universalis - Conquest of Paradise Livestream Highlights Video

That might actually make me play an New World nation for the first time ever in any EU game. The idea of a randomized map is also very cool. I'd actually like it if they would make it possible to randomize the entire world.

Monk 

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by TinCow View Post
    That might actually make me play an New World nation for the first time ever in any EU game. The idea of a randomized map is also very cool. I'd actually like it if they would make it possible to randomize the entire world.
    That would most likely be a mod potential with the expansion. Though, I think the randomness would be from a list of pre-selected 'maps' drawn up at random.

The Abominable Senior Member Hexxagon Champion Monk's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TinCow View Post
    Agreed this is a sorely needed addition to the EU franchise. I especially love the migration ability of smaller tribes. Playing a nomadic tribe might be pretty fun for a while before you settle down and build an empire

Senior Member Senior Member Ibn-Khaldun's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I have a question about that CK2 to EU4 save game conversion. In my CK2 game I have formed the Roman Empire and pretty much own the entire Western Europe. How can I westernize my empire in EU4 if there aren't that many "western" countries left?! Or perhaps I shouldn't do it at all (although I would like to get western units)?

Blog Entries

Max out your tech and you will automatically get Western Technology.

Senior Member Senior Member naut's Avatar

Steam sale made me learn another Paradox game. Curse you Valve. Curse you Paradox for making another awesome game, don't you know I need these hours for other things?!

So far I've played 4 games and lost the first three. Oman is my only successful game so far. Fun little nation with opportunities in Africa and India, so long as you keep the Ottomans from deciding you look a tasty morsel.
    #Hillary4prism

BD:TW

Some piously affirm: "The truth is such and such. I know! I see!"
    And hold that everything depends upon having the “right” religion.
    But when one really knows, one has no need of religion. - Mahavyuha Sutra

Freedom necessarily involves risk. - Alan Watts

Does anyone know how, in the nation selection screen, the diplomatic stars are calculated or what exactly they represent?
    #Hillary4prism

Blog Entries

They pretty much represent "comparative strength.. vaguely"

Quote Originally Posted by Tiaexz View Post
    They pretty much represent "comparative strength.. vaguely"
    Ahahah. I was hopeful for a more comprehensive answer. =P
    #Hillary4prism

The Bad Doctor Senior Member Chaotix's Avatar

I am pretty sure the stars are calculated in the same way that the game calculates ranking for Diplomatic, Military, and Administrative. So the higher your ranking, the more stars you have on the select screen.

How is the ranking calculated? Well... I don't remember off the top of my head, but you can find the exact calculations for each in the ledger. Tech definitely factors in, as does armies (for military), navies (for diplomatic), and buildings (for administrative).
    Keep your friends close, and your enemies closer: The Gameroom

naut 

Blog Entries

EU4 for $10

Great time to pick it up if you haven't.

Stranger in a strange land Moderator Hooahguy's Avatar

Just bought it on the Steam sale, Ill try it out later tonight.

Merry Christmas!
    On the Path to the Streets of Gold: a Suebi AAR
    Visited:
    A man who casts no shadow has no soul.
    Hvil i fred HoreTore

Quote Originally Posted by xploring View Post
    This is beautiful.

Here's the replay of my game with Poland: http://www.eu4replay.com/?file=Common.eu4.trim

It's my first game so nothing much went on for a while as I learnt how things have changed since EU3, but things got drastically easier when I inherited Lithuania and formed the Commonwealth. I'm sure it's also pretty obvious when I got the Religious idea group.

I'd love to have a multiplayer game with some other orgahs, perhaps when the expansion is out and everyone has gotten to grips with it?

Quote Originally Posted by Ferret View Post
    This is beautiful.

Here's the replay of my game with Poland: http://www.eu4replay.com/?file=Common.eu4.trim

It's my first game so nothing much went on for a while as I learnt how things have changed since EU3, but things got drastically easier when I inherited Lithuania and formed the Commonwealth. I'm sure it's also pretty obvious when I got the Religious idea group.

I'd love to have a multiplayer game with some other orgahs, perhaps when the expansion is out and everyone has gotten to grips with it?
    Nice game. Why did you choose to expand into the Caucasus region? I'm assuming easier expansion and for trade forwarding purposes. Is that part the reason you favoured it over the more wealthy western lands next to you?

I've been playing a lot of this game multiplayer with 2 friends (and a 3rd hot-joining when he can). And it's fantastic. Being able to work together and seeing how the world responds to these unusual "coalitions" is awesome. I would upload a replay of it, but the website refuses to accept my trimmed save file.

Here we go, it would accept a save from 50 years prior to date we are currently at. But, oddly, not any of the saves after that. I am Japan, my friends are Vijayanagar->Hindustan and the Ottomans. The last friend has been in and out as Castile->Spain. I integrated my (unintentional) PU with the Oirat Horde shortly after this and am currently well into the Mexican trade node. Madagascar is a Westernisation centre of learning for us backwater nations. =)
    Last edited by naut; 01-14-2014 at 13:53.
    #Hillary4prism

I didn't really choose it, it just kind of happened. Initially I wanted to expand Westwards, into Germany and Hungary, but my neighbours always had strong alliances and then Bohemia formed the HRE and Burgundy inherited Hungary, going West just wasn't an option. I never fancied taking on the behemoth that was Russia so that just left the South East. The fact that they had inferior military tech to me and the Western nations had slightly better tech certainly made the decision easier. Then when I got the religious ideas rapid expansion just became easier and easier to the East. I ended up owning a bit of Northern India and South Tibet before the game ended. A shame, I would have liked to have reached China. Looking forward to a game as the English with a randomised new world now.

Some scary Japanese colonisation going on there. A shame Britain couldn't hold onto Portugal, or they'd surely have been able to get a huge presence in the Americas. It'll be interesting to see what happens when the three of come into conflict with the Europeans, especially if Spain is on your side at the time. I love what you did with Madagascar as well, a multicultural island of peace and knowledge.

naut 

Blog Entries

Me, Rickinator and Greyblades are looking at having a multiplayer gaming session at 20:30-00:00 GMT for anyone interested in joining. Greyblades has England though.
    Last edited by Beskar; 01-15-2014 at 04:29.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast