Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567

Thread: Europa Universalis IV

Stranger in a strange land Moderator Hooahguy's Avatar

Default Re: Europa Universalis IV

Is there a way to combine colonies? because I created New Norway in what is now the northeastern US but Great Britain created the Thirteen Colonies, but I also took over GB so I got all her colonies so I want them to combine because having New Norway in the northeast and the Thirteen Colonies in the southeast is frankly a pain.
    On the Path to the Streets of Gold: a Suebi AAR
    Visited:
    A man who casts no shadow has no soul.
    Hvil i fred HoreTore

So, I have finally completed my first EU4 game, after many many hours (20 in the past week which is a lot for me). I started out as little ol' Norway where I was a subject of the Kingdom of Denmark. Then I broke away in a bloody war. Then I got strong enough to annex Denmark. Then I took over Sweden. Then I created the mighty Scandinavian nation. I then colonized the eastern seaboard of the united states, whch is now New Norway and Vinland. I then took over Britain and Ireland, absorbing the Thirteen Colonies and Newfoundland. Then I got a foothold in mainland europe where I spent 120 years conquering from northern Germany down to the Netherlands, upsetting giants such as Poland, France, and most importantly, the Holy Roman Empire. It was probably one of the greatest gaming experiences ever, after the Mass Effect games of course. Gahhh now I dont know what to try next, maybe Ill create Prussia and take over the HRE. as you can tell I have a lot of time on my hands sometimes. 20 of the past 35 hours was in the past week. I should be ashamed, but I just dont tell anyone or when I do I tell them its a geography simulator.

Anyways, here are some pics!
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

And here is a map of the world. Warning: lots of border gore.

Also is there anyway to copy the country history into a word document or something? Mines pretty long and I like to read about my exploits...

Last edited by Hooahguy; 03-31-2014 at 06:10.
    Visited:
    Hvil i fred HoreTore

Members thankful for this post (2):

Senior Member Senior Member naut's Avatar

Norway is an interesting choice to make Scandinavia! I did it with Sweden. And because Russia never formed I stretched from the North Sea well into Alaska! Great game!

Maybe try a different area of the map? Japan or Oman are good fun, especially if you can Westernise. In Europe forming France is enjoyable because the Great Blue Blob is just such a formidable base once you get all your cultural lands. Portugal is also a good one too, although maybe a little too similar to Norwegian game-style. Another really good one is Morocco, rush to colonise all of Africa and use your navy to prevent Portugal/Spain from getting a North African foothold.

Or you could go with a minor. My most recent attempt was forming the Netherlands with Gelre. Very hard though.
    #Hillary4prism

BD:TW

Some piously affirm: "The truth is such and such. I know! I see!"
    And hold that everything depends upon having the “right” religion.
    But when one really knows, one has no need of religion. - Mahavyuha Sutra

Freedom necessarily involves risk. - Alan Watts

Ive actually been playing as Brandenburg. Started out small, then eventually went on to form Germany. Wanted to form Prussia first but the Polish/Commonwealth were my allies and were helping me take over rival nations, so I didnt want to bother them just yet. Now that Im pretty advanced in the game its getting a bit easy, as my troops kinda roll over everything (that +20% infantry combat ability and discipline is incredible!). Im now the HRE emperor and Im trying to form the HRE as a unified nation, while I deal with internal politics.

For my next game I think I might try the Ottomans...
    Visited:
    Hvil i fred HoreTore

Member thankful for this post:

naut 

So if you havent been following, patch 1.6 has been released and oh boy what a storm of hatred. Rebels have been made much much stronger so it basically broke everyones game and basically made minor nations unplayable, as they would have 30k armies rise up with good troops which are almost impossible to beat early on. So of course they are patching it but we will see what that will do. Holding out on playing Wealth of Nations DLC until this is resolved, either through hotfix or mod.
    Visited:
    Hvil i fred HoreTore

Blog Entries

yeah, apparantly that was fixed like 6 hours ago
    Being better than the worst does not inherently make you good. But being better than the rest lets you brag.

Quote Originally Posted by Strike For The South View Post
    Don't be scared that you don't freak out. Be scared when you don't care about freaking out

Playing as Poland, formed the Commonwealth, completely wrecked Crimea and took their provinces, and I just won a very costly trade war against Muscovy. I had a 50k+ army that has been reduced to around 14k, and most of them just through attrition.

It's 4.25 AM here, so it's time I go to bed, but I can't remember the last time that a game grabbed me so strongly.
    This space intentionally left blank.

The heart of evil, to some known as Moscow

It is on sale at Steam and my bank account looks like I can afford spending some money on games this month. Are there any must-have add-ons/DLCs? Most of the DLC looks like eyecandy to me, how about the 2 expansions?
    I do not want to repeat the mistake I made with Civ 5, which was getting on only G&K and BNW because I was too cheap.

The heart of evil, to some known as Moscow

Double Post
    Last edited by GenosseGeneral; 06-01-2014 at 11:27.

Annoyingly awesome Member Booger Flick Champion, Run Sam Run Champion, Speed Cards Champion rickinator9's Avatar

If Conquest of Paradise is on sale, I would get it. It significantly improves the colonial game. I am not too sure about Wealth of Nations yet,
    rickinator9 is either a cleverly "hidden in plain sight by jumping on the random bandwagon" scum or the ever-increasing in popularity "What the is going on?" townie. Either way I want to lynch him. - White Eyes

Just completed a full campaign as Byzantium. Was rather hard, especially for the lat 100 years as I needed 5-1 odds to defeat any western force. Will be starting a new game as France at some point.

Anyways a few observations about my completed campaign. They really have to give the eastern factions a way to compete with the western factions because as I said, it was extremely hard to defeat them, and I cannot count how many battles I narrowly lost because of this. Because they took away when you westernize you get western troops, westernization isnt that important anymore, at least it wasnt for me.

Here is my map:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	eu4_map_BYZ_1821_01_03_2.jpg 
Views:	1257 
Size:	156.8 KB 
ID:	13545

As you can see I have territory from Yemen to the Bay of Biscay. Im rather proud of that, though I really wanted to recreate the Roman Empire but I ran out of time. I got bogged down for a while in the Crimea, probably shouldnt have done that, oh well. Russia became a tough nut to crack after 1700 so that might have been why I spent so much time there. At one point I had over 250,000 troops on that border as the Russians tend to win by numbers. I once had a battle that I narrowly lost, 180,000 Russians to my 150,000 soldiers. It was a very close battle and I missed reinforcements by about a day, I was so annoyed, it was like -15 warscore. Taking on France was also very tough. Lost a few battles to them as well, but my numbers won the day in the end as I had around 300,000 troops on that border at the climax of my campaign in that area. Once I got to the Bay of Biscay and took Bordeaux (which was really the only reason why I bothered with French territory in the first place) I made peace and hunkered down until the end of the campaign. That was late 1780's anyways so it wasnt long and the others werent attacking so I just disbanded 60% of my armies to save money. Im impressed though how much I took, basically all of the Mediterranean was under my control.

I was sort of impressed with Russia how they really had their together, they proved a real challenge which was nice. The Netherlands got quite big compared to what Ive seen them do before, and I kinda wish I pushed more towards Persia as I figure that with the amount of effort I put into southern France I could have put that into Persia and got some of that India action.

Another map:

Name:	eu4_9.png 
Views:	527 
Size:	1.88 MB 
ID:	13546
    Last edited by Hooahguy; 07-08-2014 at 06:04.
    Visited:
    Hvil i fred HoreTore

A week later, and I have completed my France game. Probably would have finished it sooner had I not been away for the entire weekend.

Everyone says how France is really easy, and after this past week, I really have to believe them. After the first 30 years or so and after I won the Hundred Years War, things were pretty much smooth sailing. My armies rolled over the enemy even when at a numerical disadvantage. Once I took down the HRE (that was around 1700 I think) I was debating just calling the win and leaving it at that, as there was no army or navy that could compete. I made a colony in the southeastern North America, and it expanded quite well, and covered most of the East Coast until the Mississippi River. As for me I owned all of Western Europe save for the polar areas of Scandinavia. I took Åland and fortified it against attack, then took some eastern European land but I basically stopped there. I like clean borders so I decided to just concentrate on infrastructure from then on, and a few little wars to ensure supremacy until 1821. My income got so high that even with 874,000 men under arms plus almost 500 ships I was pulling in well over 900 per month in cash. Granted that didnt happen until late game, but either way, my ridiculous manpower made that a possibility. Public order was rough at first but I managed to avoid the French Revolution so that was nice.

Name:	2014-07-15_00003.jpg 
Views:	214 
Size:	301.8 KB 
ID:	13623

Name:	2014-07-15_00004.jpg 
Views:	171 
Size:	302.6 KB 
ID:	13624

As for the other nations, Portugal seemed to do okay once I booted them from Europe, taking most of South America. Russia was basically split in half by Kazan and Siberia, and Ukraine got pretty large as well. England, displaced from the British Isles, made a home in the Midwestern US while Bosnia did pretty well for itself I think, pushing back the Ottomans numerous times.

And for the map:

Name:	eu4_map_FRA_1820_12_25_1.jpg 
Views:	212 
Size:	153.9 KB 
ID:	13622

I think Im going to need to try somewhere else totally different. Maybe Korea or something, Europe just plays too similar now. Or maybe a single-province nation in Europe.
    Visited:
    Hvil i fred HoreTore

Nec Pluribus Impar Member SwordsMaster's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Had something weird happen - imported a united Scandinavia from CKII, but when i brought it into EU I had the same national ideas as the british! What? anyone know how that happened?
    Managing perceptions goes hand in hand with managing expectations - Masamune

Pie is merely the power of the state intruding into the private lives of the working class. - Beirut

Blog Entries

Was your character by any chance of Norman, anglo saxon, or english culture? Assuming no: Was the majority of your vassals of those cultures?
    Being better than the worst does not inherently make you good. But being better than the rest lets you brag.

Don't be scared that you don't freak out. Be scared when you don't care about freaking out

Nec Pluribus Impar Member SwordsMaster's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Greyblades View Post
    Was your character by any chance of Norman, anglo saxon, or english culture? Assuming no: Was the majority of your vassals of those cultures?
    Actually, now that you say it - my Emperor had become saxon through some unwise education choices. Could that be it?
    Managing perceptions goes hand in hand with managing expectations - Masamune

Pie is merely the power of the state intruding into the private lives of the working class. - Beirut

Blog Entries

yup. that'd do it.

So how about that new patch? Raised the truce scaling to an insane level. 15 years for max warscore, that is insane. Especially since theres nothing to do during peacetime.
    Visited:
    Hvil i fred HoreTore

Annoyingly awesome Member Booger Flick Champion, Run Sam Run Champion, Speed Cards Champion rickinator9's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hooahguy View Post
    So how about that new patch? Raised the truce scaling to an insane level. 15 years for max warscore, that is insane. Especially since theres nothing to do during peacetime.
    The EUIV Paradoxplaza forum has exploded over that change. Especially since there isn't much to do besides war and conquest.
    rickinator9 is either a cleverly "hidden in plain sight by jumping on the random bandwagon" scum or the ever-increasing in popularity "What the is going on?" townie. Either way I want to lynch him. - White Eyes

And now that they just put in 10-15 year truce times there is even less to do.
    Visited:
    Hvil i fred HoreTore

EU4 80% off $8USD (base game, no DLC)
    http://www.gamersgate.com/DD-EU4/europa-universalis-iv

I ..uhhm... discovered this. Geez, thought CK2 was addictive, but man, this one is just as bad if not worse. It's a rare game that keeps me up until past 1 AM on a weekday. Tried it, got spanked, tried again, got spanked again, finally on my third try I had a good game with the Teutonic Order.

An amazingly deep game.
    "And if the people raise a great howl against my barbarity and cruelty, I will answer that war is war and not popularity seeking. If they want peace, they and their relatives must stop the war." - William Tecumseh Sherman

“The market, like the Lord, helps those who help themselves. But unlike the Lord, the market does not forgive those who know not what they do.” - Warren Buffett

Hax 

Oddly enough I liked CK2 way better. Couldn't get into EU4 yet.

The biggest problem I have with EU4 is that there is little to do during peacetime other than plan for your next war.
    Visited:
    Hvil i fred HoreTore

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567