Thread: New Faction DLC coming out next week: Otomo

Handler of candles Member Xehh II's Avatar

Default New Faction DLC coming out next week: Otomo

Couldn't find a thread about this so I thought I'd start one

Just saw there is a new faction pack for Shogun 2. 4.49 USD for the Otomo clan on steam.
    Anyone have thoughts on this?
    As for me I bought it straight away, the otomo look interesting and different, they could be quite fun to play as.
    A ha ha! Rainbows and unicorns! Rainbows and unicorns!

War Story Recorder Senior Member Maltz's Avatar

Default Re: New Faction DLC coming out next week: Otomo

Since Total War games are enjoyed by many western players, I think a western-friendly clan DLC is a good move to sell more copies.
    But personally I found gun units not useful in single-player mode, as units tend to have little or no upgrades of armor.

At one level I am delighted that Otomo are playable as being a historical obsessive I just won't play any other clan as Christians.

On another it is sad that having cleaned up their act somewhat on historical accuracy CA are now selling ridiculous fantasy units - no Portuguese mercenaries ever fought in Japan and the actual Portuguese never used the term Tercios which was a purely Spanish unit title.

If you were going to have a fantasy unit of Portuguese they'd be called Fidalgos as this was the term used for military adventurers who fought as mercenaries in Africa, India and the East Indies.

It's available now.

Infinite Jest Member easytarget's Avatar

Yep, started a campaign with it this afternoon, btw, might want to check the notes on it, there are patch items included as well.

I've not played in a bit, and the last couple I did play were FOTS or ROTS, so I'm a tad rusty. I start with a stronghold, which I assume has walls, and when it comes under seige from the two neighboring clans almost immediately I was forced to sally forth and defeat them on the field of battle, which in and of itself is no problem, but I seem to recall in Shogun 2 fighting a fair number of defensive sieges, is that gone, or do I have to construct a fortress?

Like I said, been awhile, but I was leaving these attacking stacks to hit my walls rather than move my forces out to meet them, but that didn't come up?!

I'm sure I'll stumble across something in the campaign that will refresh my memory on this, but just in case I don't, thought I'd tee this up for an answer.

Quote Originally Posted by Jacobin View Post
    At one level I am delighted that Otomo are playable as being a historical obsessive I just won't play any other clan as Christians.

On another it is sad that having cleaned up their act somewhat on historical accuracy CA are now selling ridiculous fantasy units - no Portuguese mercenaries ever fought in Japan and the actual Portuguese never used the term Tercios which was a purely Spanish unit title.
    Actually, we did use Terços since we copied the Spanish system from the mid XVIth century onward. We never deployed in outside the Iberian peninsula and North Africa, so your point still stands.

If you were going to have a fantasy unit of Portuguese they'd be called Fidalgos as this was the term used for military adventurers who fought as mercenaries in Africa, India and the East Indies.
    Meh. Fidalgos is just a term for gentleman (it literaly means "son of Someone"). The ones sent to Indian Ocean were often exiles and criminals which we actually called Degredados, and they were usually so few that we hired and allied with the locals as a matter of course. I believe there were actually Japanese mercenaries working for us in either Sri Lanka or Mozambique.

Aventureiros wouldn't be a bad term either.

As for the DLC I playing it right now. The start seems rocky, but if you endure the Ouchi-Shoni onslaught the situation becomes really quite easy. Land Lease is an interesting new option to boost the early economy.

Has anyone noticed if they removed the Namban Trade Ship limit? I believe you could only build 4, but so far I've built 6, and I think I can still build more, which a huge freaking deal..

I think you can build more NTS because they nerf'd them, in my opinion more than was necessary.

Quote Originally Posted by easytarget View Post
    I think you can build more NTS because they nerf'd them, in my opinion more than was necessary.
    They nerfed them? I haven't gone against the Black Ship yet, but so far a couple of NTS are perfectly capable of taking out any AI fleet. I don't autocalc when playing with the NTS though, because I think they are so much fun.

As for your earlier question vanilla shogun Strongholds do start with walls. Are you sure you were inside the castle on the strategic map, or were you sieged until starvation?

I was definitely inside on the strategic map, both times. And like I said, I was forced to either engage in the field or starve. I've yet to have another siege come up in this campaign, but when it does, I plan to test the patience's of the AI and wait a turn or two to see if it will attack me, as I'm more customarily used to seeing. I mean I'm impressed that the AI is doing what I think it should have been doing all along in a siege, but since everyone is saying no AI changes were made with the Otomo DLC release, I'm a bit perplexed why it happened when it wasn't so much the case in the past. What I've usually seen w/ AI sieges results in us going into a traditional scenario where I man the battlements and the AI comes at me (which always stuck me as a tad stupid unless the AI had at least 2 to 1 odds, and really probably more like 3 to 1 odds.

And since I found this novel and interesting behavior, I posted here and on the main forum about it, and never really got a proper explanation. Just not that many people I guess till playing Shogun 2 at this point, so posts don't tend to generate a lot of discussion no matter what the topic.
    Last edited by easytarget; 12-16-2012 at 21:17.

Ja mata, TosaInu Forum Administrator edyzmedieval's Avatar

Otomo's DLC gives the alternative playing experience, and it's quite interesting since you can master gunpowder pretty fast. And plus those Donderbuss Cavalry do serious damage.
    Ja mata, TosaInu. You will forever be remembered.

Proud

Been to:

Swords Made of Letters - 1938. The war is looming in France - and Alexandre Reythier does not have much time left to protect his country. A novel set before the war.

A Painted Shield of Honour - 1313. Templar Knights in France are in grave danger. Can they be saved?