Thread: An In-Depth Look at War Simulations used by the USA Command & General Staff College

Arena Senior Member Crazed Rabbit's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default An In-Depth Look at War Simulations used by the USA Command & General Staff College

A great and very extensive interview at Rock Paper Shotgun:

Americanians, did you know that 0.000000000323% of every dollar you pay in tax is spent ensuring a man in Kansas by the name of James Sterrett gets any PC wargame he desires? Recently I crossed Flare Paths with this mysterious freeloader and asked him to justify his lavish government-funded strategy habit. He pointed out he was Deputy Chief, Simulations Division, Digital Leader Development Center, at the Command & General Staff College, Fort Leavenworth and the games in question were used to hone and assess the skills of the US Army’s captains, majors, lieutenant-colonels, colonels, and planners. Totally unfazed, I stared at my shoes for a bit then mumbled “Ah. Right. I see.”

It turns out that James’ sizeable wargames budget has some sizeable strings attached. In addition to the fun-sounding stuff – organizing the College’s game-based exercises, and researching new software (“We are all encouraged to look for new simulations. If they look promising, or if they seem to have something we can learn from them, then the examination may be pretty detailed. For example, we spent a couple of Friday afternoons this fall playing GMT’s boardgame Andean Abyss”.) his employers also expect him and his team to train other trainers, and do a whole heap of mundane administrative stuff. Reluctantly shelving my Pulitzer dreams and “PENTAGON PAYS MAN TO PLAY COMBAT MISSION ALL DAY” headline, I set about finding out a little more about Dr. Sterrett and his intriguing relationship with digital warfare.
    This interview has a lot of great information on the use of simulations, retail and otherwise, used to train officers in the US military, the differences between simulations and games, how people approach playing games for fun vs a simulation, and effective planning among staffs.

CR
    Ja Mata, Tosa.

The poorest man may in his cottage bid defiance to all the forces of the Crown. It may be frail; its roof may shake; the wind may blow through it; the storm may enter; the rain may enter; but the King of England cannot enter – all his force dares not cross the threshold of the ruined tenement! - William Pitt the Elder

Member thankful for this post:

Stranger in a strange land Moderator Hooahguy's Avatar

Default Re: An In-Depth Look at War Simulations used by the USA Command & General Staff Colle

Always had a hate-love affair with Combat Mission Shock Force.
    Great little game, but absolutely frustrating at times. Really forced you to plan a mission like a real commander would. I remember when I still played it, I printed out a topographical map of the mission I was working on and would plan out different methods of attack during my more boring classes in high school. I think I kept at one mission until I was able to get myself down to zero casualties, and when that happened it was pure satisfaction.
    On the Path to the Streets of Gold: a Suebi AAR
    Visited:
    A man who casts no shadow has no soul.
    Hvil i fred HoreTore

Poll Smoker Senior Member CountArach's Avatar

Default Re: An In-Depth Look at War Simulations used by the USA Command & General Staff Colle

Really interesting article CR.

I'm a bit disappointed that the article didn't mention HistWar in terms of command delay - it can take hours for battle plans to take effect. It does make me want to play Scourge of War, however. I loved Take Command: 2nd Manassas, which was the spiritual predecessor to this one (with 1 of the same lead devs) and I've only heard even better things about this.
    Rest in Peace TosaInu, the Org will be your legacy
    Quote Originally Posted by Leon Blum - For All Mankind
    Nothing established by violence and maintained by force, nothing that degrades humanity and is based on contempt for human personality, can endure.

Vitiate Man.

History repeats the old conceits
    The glib replies, the same defeats

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: