Thread: Chivalry: Medieval Warfare

The Anger Shaman of the .Org Content Manager Voigtkampf's Avatar

Default Chivalry: Medieval Warfare

Missed out on the War of Roses and/or Mount & Blade? No worries, here comes Chivalry: Medieval Warfare.

Today is your victory over yourself of yesterday; tomorrow is your victory over lesser men.

Miyamoto Musashi, The Book of Five Rings, The Water Book

Member thankful for this post:

Monk 

The Abominable Senior Member Hexxagon Champion Monk's Avatar

Default Re: Chivalry: Medieval Warfare

This is my current Multiplayer addiction. Whatever time I get between my work is going into Chivalry due to it being such a breath of fresh air.

Main complaints come from a bit of hit detection problems, like, sometimes you are dead sure you parried a blow but the game decides you really mistimed it. I also wish the server browser was a bit less finicky and there were more weapons available. Other than that? Oh god this game, man. This game. The melee system is so incredibly timing based that, once you finally learn it (and believe me, there's a big difference from M&B) you feel like a total badass when you wade into combat. Though it's not without it's frustrations. It's not a game you can play without a sense of humor when someone cuts your head off with a lucky swing! Because believe me, it WILL happen.

If you guys want a really awesome multiplayer game that does something completely different from Battlefield or CoD, you really gotta try Chivalry. Odds are it's gonna get a discount in the Steam Winter Sale so that'd be an excellent chance for you to snag it for a great price.

Archers are total though!
    Last edited by Monk; 11-29-2012 at 00:53.

The very model of a modern Moderator Xiahou's Avatar

I grabbed this when it was 50% off. Yeah... it seems pretty cool. My immediate impression was that it was just like the good ole FPS deathmatches that I played years ago- except with melee weapons instead of guns.

Skill based enough to make you brag when you do something amazing, but with enough luck in the mix to make sure you're still able to laugh when your head gets bashed in unexpectedly.

Oh, and the class system seems pretty neat as well. The Vanguard was the first to appeal to me, but I can see them all being fun in their own ways.
    Last edited by Xiahou; 11-29-2012 at 01:56.
    "Don't believe everything you read online."
    -Abraham Lincoln

Quote Originally Posted by Xiahou View Post
    Oh, and the class system seems pretty neat as well. The Vanguard was the first to appeal to me, but I can see them all being fun in their own ways.
    I agree, the class system seems relatively balanced and the Vanguard is probably the most fun imo.

He is definitely the best all around but very much the typical jack of all trades, master of none choice. Man-At-Arms have incredible mobility with their dodge and speed abilities, so a vanguard must use his range advantage to keep the Man-At-Arms (MAA) at bay or else he's going to get cut up in close quarters. Otherwise there's just no way you can keep up, and a good Man-At-Arms is going to make you pay dearly.

MAA are probably the best 1v1 class in the game because of their dodging abilities and mobility that the linked page mentions. I find a lot of times the combat in the game is more about playing mind games with your opponent than simply blocking their attacks, and the Man-At-Arms can do that insanely well. Not only does he have access to the Feint ability that everyone else has (you wind up to attack but then cancel it), but he can dodge to the sides, forward and backward. Meaning he can play all sorts of tricks with your eyes and make you waste your swing times at inopportune times. Good MAAs are absolutely terrifying in 1v1. Their main drawback is that outside of a 1v1 situation the MAA is at a huge disadvantage. He doesn't have access to the 2 handed weapons that the Vanguard and Knight have, so in a big melee while the latter two can "fire and forget" with big swing attacks, the MAA has to play a precise and coordinated attack against his foes. Usually while you're attempting that you get your arm cut off.

Then there's the Knight who I, honestly, haven't really figured out yet. He's the Tank and is the only class who can equip shields with 2h weapons, but largely I find him inferior to the Vanguard due to his speed reduction and his lack of reach. A vanguard will always out range a knight if he knows what he's doing. Though, the Knight is the only class in the game who can use the war hammers which are probably the coolest weapons in the game. Talk about devastating, I think the 2 handed one is a 1 hit kill on Man-At-Arms.

Archers are dishonorable scum! But nah, Archers are what it says on the tin, the only class who can use bows and crossbows. Each of those are usually 1-2 hit kills and are very effective if you're a good marksman. Best defense i've found is to simply serpentine as fast as you can as you advance. Most archers are unable to adjust if you make your movements rapid enough.

The Anger Shaman of the .Org Content Manager Voigtkampf's Avatar

Not so sure on the point of the class system being balanced, though. If every game I join has around 7-10 archers and similar numbers of Vanguards and Knights, and only 1 or 2 Man-at-arms... Seems to me like that class could feel some more luv from the devs. You should also play an archer and try to hit something; this is one of the games where I as a melee class have no compulsions to run over to the archers and cut off their knees with my axe.

Today is your victory over yourself of yesterday; tomorrow is your victory over lesser men.

Miyamoto Musashi, The Book of Five Rings, The Water Book

Thinking about getting this, it seems my kind of thing. Worth picking up/trying?

Quote Originally Posted by Visorslash View Post
    Thinking about getting this, it seems my kind of thing. Worth picking up/trying?
    It's a pretty fun and ridiculous little multiplayer game imo. Though because it's so close to when Steam usually does its annual winter sale I'd hold off on buying it to see if it goes on deep discount. It was discounted pretty heavily in the fall sale at 50%, it might go even lower. That is unless you absolutely have to play it now.

Annoyingly awesome Member Booger Flick Champion, Run Sam Run Champion, Speed Cards Champion rickinator9's Avatar

I got the game at 5th of December. My favorite class is the vanguard with their powerful Halberd. A stab and overhead strike combo with that weapon will kill or nearly kill. I tend to be pretty good at blocking, unless my ping is higher than 100. For some reason, I have problems blocking the small, stabby daggers archers use. I just can't do anything about it. I can't block it, I can't hit them as they stun me when I try to attack. I'll just end up dead.

As for other classes, I play the knight very badly. He's just too slow for me and while he deals a lot of damage once he is in close range, it is difficult to come in range of your enemies. I'm not a good MAA, as I'm too bad at micro for the evade thing. Whenever I play him, I just tend to troll people with the fire bomb thing. When I play archer I play the Peltast with his javelins. I have horrible accuracy, so if I'm doing badly, I still have my sword and shield(or the javs themselves) to defend myself.

I tend to play ffa, because I don't like teamkillers or morons on my team. Also, FFA matches don't take too long, while team games can go on for more than 30 minutes.
    rickinator9 is either a cleverly "hidden in plain sight by jumping on the random bandwagon" scum or the ever-increasing in popularity "What the is going on?" townie. Either way I want to lynch him. - White Eyes