Thread: An ultrabook/ultrathin capable of playing the odd game - promised land arrives (AMD)

BrownWings: AirViceMarshall Senior Member Furunculus's Avatar

Default An ultrabook/ultrathin capable of playing the odd game - promised land arrives (AMD)

Get a load of this:

http://www.asus.com/Notebooks/Superior_Mobility/U38N/

An AMD Trinity APU sporting four cores and 384 DX11 shaders.

Importantly, those DX11 shaders come with proper AMD drivers that are actually compatible with games, as is not always the case with intel integrated.

To add even more jazz it has a unibody aluminium chassis and a 1080p IPS touchscreen, both uncommon in AMD laptops (which tend to be cheaper models), and still only costs EUR800.

What do you think?

I am considering an ultrabook/ultrathin and am torn between this, the Samsung Series 9 and the Lenovo Ideapad Yoga. There is an asus ultrabook with a Nvidia GPU but the "optimus" GPU-swapping capability doesn't work at all under linux, which is a consideration.
    Furunculus Maneuver: Adopt a highly logical position on a controversial subject where you cannot disagree with the merits of the proposal, only disagree with an opinion based on fundamental values. - Beskar

Member thankful for this post:

Lemur 

Default Re: An ultrabook/ultrathin capable of playing the odd game - promised land arrives (A

I think it's weird that they say Full HD and then under Specifications:

13.3" 16:9 HD (1366x768) Non-Glare LCD Panel
    Sounds quite nice anyway though.

"Topic is tired and needs a nap." - Tosa Inu

Default Re: An ultrabook/ultrathin capable of playing the odd game - promised land arrives (A

Hum, the promised land is probably a lot more promising if you pick the UV32VD. CPU part a notch better, GPU roughly similar, but crucially: upgradeable RAM & disk -- no unibody. Also: no touch screen nonsense, just a matte 1080p HD screen.

On the other hand, costs another ~€200 excluding upgrade parts...

As for this new model, dunno. Seems to be banking on people buying it specifically for being able to do a bit of games/video encoding on something thin and light with looks but not really willing to fork out another €150 or so and get a rather more powerful machine in every respect (i.e. Vaio S).
    Last edited by Tellos Athenaios; 11-16-2012 at 01:11.
    - Tellos Athenaios
    CUF tool - XIDX - PACK tool - SD tool - EVT tool - EB Install Guide - How to track down loading CTD's - EB 1.1 Maps thread

ὁ δ᾽ ἠλίθιος ὣσπερ πρόβατον βῆ βῆ λέγων βαδίζει” – Kratinos in Dionysalexandros.

Needs more flowers Moderator drone's Avatar

Wonder if it plays MTW...
    The .Org's MTW Reference Guide Wiki - now taking comments, corrections, suggestions, and submissions

If I werent playing games Id be killing small animals at a higher rate than I am now - SFTS
    Si je n'étais pas jouer à des jeux que je serais mort de petits animaux à un taux plus élevé que je suis maintenant - Louis VI The Fat

"Why do you hate the extremely limited Spartan version of freedom?" - Lemur

The very model of a modern Moderator Xiahou's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Husar View Post
    I think it's weird that they say Full HD and then under Specifications:.
    Look again.

13.3" 16:9 Full HD (1920x1080) Non-Glare LCD Panel
    Quote Originally Posted by Tellos Athenaios
    Also: no touch screen nonsense, just a matte 1080p HD screen.
    From the little I've seen of Windows8, you'll be thankful for a touch screen.
    Last edited by Xiahou; 11-17-2012 at 01:50.
    "Don't believe everything you read online."
    -Abraham Lincoln

Quote Originally Posted by Xiahou View Post
    Look again.
    They might have never fixed that if I hadn't copy/pasted the wrong info here!

Not if you use the desktop a lot.
    Then again I'm not against touchscreens anyway, my phone happens to have one and it's nice.

Not in a laptop form factor, you wouldn't.
    - Tellos Athenaios
    CUF tool - XIDX - PACK tool - SD tool - EVT tool - EB Install Guide - How to track down loading CTD's - EB 1.1 Maps thread

ὁ δ᾽ ἠλίθιος ὣσπερ πρόβατον βῆ βῆ λέγων βαδίζει” – Kratinos in Dionysalexandros.

still weighing my choice between this, the samsung series 9 (traditional), and the lenovo yoga (full on bendy phablet).
    Furunculus Maneuver: Adopt a highly logical position on a controversial subject where you cannot disagree with the merits of the proposal, only disagree with an opinion based on fundamental values. - Beskar

The very model of a modern Moderator Xiahou's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tellos Athenaios View Post
    Not in a laptop form factor, you wouldn't.
    Actually, the few people I know who have bought laptops with Windows8 have all specifically sought out touch screens.

If you don't get a touchscreen, something like Start8 would probably be a good option.... actually it might be a good option regardless.
    "Don't believe everything you read online."
    -Abraham Lincoln

Why? If you click down in the left corner you get the new start menu anyway, which has all your apps without sifting through a ton of folders.

Actually, the few people I know who have bought laptops with Windows8 have all specifically sought out touch screens.
    Funnily, the few I know have all specifically replaced Windows 8.

Anyway, in a laptop form factor you can't get at the screen in a convenient manner -- there's a whole unit in the way. Plus laptop screens tend to have issues of "cheapest possible piece of junk", which isn't such a good thing if you have fingerprints all over it. Manufactures have tried the "convertible" design, but that's a different form factor all together and thus far the successful segment seems to be more of "a tablet with tacked on keyboard" than "a laptop which doubles as tablet". I suppose weight, battery life, as well as screen quality has something to do with that.
    - Tellos Athenaios

Mr Self Important Senior Member Beskar's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Would should a laptop run CK2 with no issues, or will it stutter like it is high-on-crack?

I have to admit, I am interested in a laptop, just have a dreaded feeling if I go near one, my 5 year old pc would still outperform it.
    Days since the Apocalypse began
    "We are living in space-age times but there's too many of us thinking with stone-age minds" | How to spot a Humanist
    "Men of Quality do not fear Equality." | "Belief doesn't change facts. Facts, if you are reasonable, should change your beliefs."

Quote Originally Posted by Tiaexz View Post
    Would should a laptop run CK2 with no issues, or will it stutter like it is high-on-crack?

I have to admit, I am interested in a laptop, just have a dreaded feeling if I go near one, my 5 year old pc would still outperform it.
    hmmmm, well according to anandtech ivy-bridge U can happily play TW:S2 even at up to 1600x900, so i imagine this U38N could manage CK2 (possibly at native res) unless it is massively CPU heavy like Civ5 which is an absolute pig.

Here is the review and gameplay test for the U38N
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ShFu...2&feature=plcp
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HqQj...3&feature=plcp

still like it a hell of a lot, but not sure i want something absolutely bomb-proof (like an air), that can be chucked in a packed ruck-sack without worrying about buckled panels.

It's really bad, mobile devices just cannot satisfy me anymore.

The problems with this one seem to be that it's louder, uses more power and performs slower than Intel devices, yet the gaming capacities are underwhelming as well.

So I tried to look for something with touchscreen, a decent screen resolution, a dedicated graphics card and a fully featured Windows 8 (no RT, tablets aren't out if they have USB and HDMI ports) to replace my notebook but apparently such a thing doesn't exist. Everything that comes close has the dreaded Intel HD 4000 or costs close to 2000€ with a touchscreen. Some Asus S400CA models cost 800 with an i7 and 700 with an i5, so I wonder why don't they make one that costs 800 or 850 and has an i5 with a dedicated graphics card???

They also feature the touchscreen, a 24GB SSD cache on their 500GB HDD and so on, so they look really nice otherwise, I just wonder why they have this fixation with the HD4000? Does Intel blackmail or subsidize them or something?

to be honest, i think i am leaning back towards a Intel HD 4000 solution, but not precisely because of the GPU itself.

i want real portability and that requires:
    a) a very low power solution if noise/heat isn't to be a problem, and little can compete with ivy-bridge "U" and still be capable of productivity computing
    b) an excellent build quality in a tiny chassis, and amd solutions simply aren't built to the same premium standard as the like of a asus zenbook prime, a samsung series 9, or a macbook air

those three pretty much define the choice i have boiled it down too, and i think i am leaning towards to the samsung right now.

http://eu.computers.toshiba-europe.c...t-107/1138582/

It seems I have found something that costs a bit more (~1000€) but offers a quiet Intel solution, touchscreen and a dedicated graphics card (GT630M) that is apparently twice as fast as the HD4000 (which is apparently also faster than the 8600M GT in my old and current laptop).
    It's also relatively small at 14" and has a decent battery life given at 6h 30min max.
    For doing mostly office work and some light gaming on the side while still being portable it seems like a great solution to me.
    Just have to get 1000€ from somewhere now...

Quote Originally Posted by Husar View Post
    http://eu.computers.toshiba-europe.c...t-107/1138582/

It seems I have found something that costs a bit more (~1000€) but offers a quiet Intel solution, touchscreen and a dedicated graphics card (GT630M) that is apparently twice as fast as the HD4000 (which is apparently also faster than the 8600M GT in my old and current laptop).
    It's also relatively small at 14" and has a decent battery life given at 6h 30min max.
    For doing mostly office work and some light gaming on the side while still being portable it seems like a great solution to me.
    Just have to get 1000€ from somewhere now...

To be quite honest, that looks like fantastically overpriced kit which frankly at 2kg for a 14inch machine is not doing a terribly good job on the portable checkbox either.
    Worse:

1) It's an i5 ULV part. It means you do not get the i5 performance you are expected to, instead it is probably a bit better than an i3 on normal workloads but definitely a notch below a "normal" laptop i5 part. Nowhere near the desktop i5, mind you.
    It consumes less power, but whether or not it is cool and quiet depends more on the engineering (layout, assembly) than anything else. For instance if you buy HP, that will sound like a leaf blower and scorch your pants given about a year or two if you put it through its paces (gaming) or just use it a lot -- HP apparently fired all competent engineers or they just fled outright.
    2) The resolution. Your eyes deserve better. Trust me, even 1280x800 is better. 1366x768 sucks.
    3) The thing still manages to weigh in at over 2kg. Lightweight, you say? For a 14inch unit that is not lightweight.

I dunno. Myself I am not overly keen on the touch screen and if you don't mind losing that you could buy (not really thoroughly researched, perhaps there are more compelling offers elsewhere) a 13 or 15 inch Vaio S model and kit it out for roughly €1000. The result should be lighter, and the parts a notch better for a similar run time when on battery.
    Last edited by Tellos Athenaios; 11-28-2012 at 23:01.
    - Tellos Athenaios

I knew I'd forget to check something important(that's why I posted it ), 2kg is indeed a bit heavy.

Good point about the Vaio S, when you configure it online, you can get a 13" with a GT 640M LE, 1600*900 display, Core i5-3210M 2.5GHz for 1018€, still expensive but also faster, higher resolution and so on.

Exactly. Even better when you can get the machine through the education discount programme they have. Free shipping if you buy online, too. Just make sure to turn off/tone down all software options if there are any, also brings down the price significantly.

For me that pretty much sealed the deal when I got my 15inch Vaio S but then again I was specifically looking to trade graphics grunt for less need of a mains outlet nearby (I don't game on my laptop) so I picked up an entry level 15inch S for about €750, then bought a stick of 8GB low voltage RAM and a Samsung 830 256GB SDD and added them to the machine myself. With a Linux distro, it's a zippy little work machine now.
    Last edited by Tellos Athenaios; 11-30-2012 at 19:00.
    - Tellos Athenaios

i went for the ivy-bridge samsung series 9 in the end, lovely piece of kit.

£850 + samsung tablet + £15 for a Win8 upgrade.

Mr Self Important Senior Member Beskar's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Got any links to that, Furunculus?
    Days since the Apocalypse began
    "We are living in space-age times but there's too many of us thinking with stone-age minds" | How to spot a Humanist
    "Men of Quality do not fear Equality." | "Belief doesn't change facts. Facts, if you are reasonable, should change your beliefs."