Thread: I wish to use a custom avatar

Default I wish to use a custom avatar

First of: I have searched, google, forum and mindless browsing and not found neither aid or confirmation so please humor me

Ive got over the 500 post limit, and 4 months hinted by old archived stuff but i cannot find how to upload and use a custom avatar.
    The picture is very small being a drawn one and i can even modify it down even to fit the standard avatars of some 3kb 50x70 if i have to

Unmodified its some 250x250 30kb

Could someone guide me to a moderator whom can set me up if thats still the case, or link me where i should be?
    Im an active hotseat player and intend to keep spending a long time here, doing so with my avatar would be... nice

Thank you

Mr Self Important Senior Member Beskar's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default Re: I wish to use a custom avatar

To turn on Custom avatars, you upload a Profile Picture (which you already have done)

then under General Settings, you tick this box.

If you want to turn off the current theme avatars at the same time, you untick this box.

And the results should look like this if you used both options:
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    Last edited by Beskar; 11-27-2012 at 04:25.
    Days since the Apocalypse began
    "We are living in space-age times but there's too many of us thinking with stone-age minds" | How to spot a Humanist
    "Men of Quality do not fear Equality." | "Belief doesn't change facts. Facts, if you are reasonable, should change your beliefs."

Blog Entries

Custom Avatars are an opt-in feature on the forum.

This was during the ol' days where forums and websites were constricted by connection usage and bling-bling heavy avatars slowed the loading of websites down. This ended up leading to a great tradition where TotalWar avatars were only used, bringing a nice atmosphere to this place, one a great many people do not want to upset, considering over the years, everything on this website has changed, except for this one thing.

It is also something I am also personally against changing. The current system is fine and you can indeed have custom avatars which was added a couple of years ago as a feature on the forum. I agree this could have been stickied some where and this hasn't been done or this system should be simplied, either way I have provided all the details in the second post how this is achieved so an admin can feel free to use that if they desire.
    Last edited by Beskar; 11-27-2012 at 04:36.
    "We are living in space-age times but there's too many of us thinking with stone-age minds" | How to spot a Humanist
    "Men of Quality do not fear Equality." | "Belief doesn't change facts. Facts, if you are reasonable, should change your beliefs."

But this only displays my profile pic, and does so only for thise whom have crossed in the options you showed. You for example have a real photo as profile pic, but an animated avatar of a rabbit. So im still stuck with the Young western general dude as my avatar :( How did you get the animated rabbit over the stock photos in simple?

( the reason two pictures are shown is because ive checked all three options under thread display options )
    @Tiaexz
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Avatar.png 
Views:	166 
Size:	125.1 KB 
ID:	8048  
    Last edited by Mithridate; 11-27-2012 at 07:35.

Liar and Trickster Senior Member Andres's Avatar

Can you post or PM me the avatar you want to use?
    Andres is our Lord and Master and could strike us down with thunderbolts or beer cans at any time. ~Askthepizzaguy

Ja mata, TosaInu

Quote Originally Posted by caravel View Post

Excellent choice!

I'll see if I can find a way to reduce the size, upload it to our server and attach it to your profile.
    Andres is our Lord and Master and could strike us down with thunderbolts or beer cans at any time. ~Askthepizzaguy

Ja mata, TosaInu

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mithridate View Post
    ( the reason two pictures are shown is because ive checked all three options under thread display options )
    Exactly, have 'Avatars' un-ticked/turned off if you want to remove the bottom rabbit.
    Last edited by Beskar; 11-27-2012 at 15:21.

But then i still do not use a custom avatar, i only view profile pics instead.
    I view both Profile pic and avatar as you saw.

To clarify, i wish to use a custom avatar not simply display profile myself.

Throwing a PM to Andras to see if he can aid me

Blog Entries

That is only a name issue. The profile picture is the custom avatar function.

It is an opt-in system. Having the theme-avatars and unable to change them is entirely intended.

So you having a custom avatar ( humor my name issue ) is due to being a moderator, thus its not possible to really have an custom avatar for regular users?
    Only those whom view profile pics will see my opt-in avatar while everyone else still see my theme avatar.

Thus it should be stated that you cannot have a custom avatar to remove the confusion, but you can opt-in to display your profile pic instead for those whom view profiles.

Well, not much i can do then
    Last edited by Mithridate; 11-27-2012 at 16:58.

Needs more flowers Moderator drone's Avatar

So you having a custom avatar ( humor my name issue ) is due to being a moderator, thus its not possible to really have an custom avatar for regular users?
    Moderators and admins have access to a restricted avatar set (assassins and spies mainly), this is the tradition we have used with the TW themed avatars. Some mods have gotten slightly customized avatars in the same theme. Tiaexz is just different.

There are some regular members with customized avatars, but if I recall correctly they are all somewhat TW related.
    The .Org's MTW Reference Guide Wiki - now taking comments, corrections, suggestions, and submissions

If I werent playing games Id be killing small animals at a higher rate than I am now - SFTS
    Si je n'étais pas jouer à des jeux que je serais mort de petits animaux à un taux plus élevé que je suis maintenant - Louis VI The Fat

"Why do you hate the extremely limited Spartan version of freedom?" - Lemur

Blog Entries

This is a slightly modified one from which regular users can use, this is to distinguish moderators and staff from regular users in a minor way.

HopAlongBunny has the normal version.
    Last edited by Beskar; 11-27-2012 at 17:21.

Tis as i feared, now then:

I shall have to get TW related somehow
    Hopefully being a constant presence in hotseating shall be enough

Quote Originally Posted by Tiaexz View Post
    That is only a name issue. The profile picture is the custom avatar function.
    And as I explained about a year ago, it is not the "custom avatar function"... it is simply a means of displaying the profile picture in the post bit - and as far as I am aware it's a hack, not a built in feature.

The custom avatar function (upload avatar or link to offsite avatar) is built into vBulletin and pretty much every other messageboard software - it's simply a matter of turning it on.
    It is an opt-in system. Having the theme-avatars and unable to change them is entirely intended.
    That's precisely what it is.

Tis as i feared, now then:

I shall have to get TW related somehow
    Hopefully being a constant presence in hotseating shall be enough
    The current policy is to only have TW related avatars. Most members pick something from what we have made available. However, that doesn't mean you can't have a custom avatar. We have a few members who have a custom avatar, usually based on some of the availabe ones and in fact, allthough not widely known, there's no reason to refuse a member to have a custom made avatar, as long as it's TW related. It's not something that is exclusively for a select few, anybody, from new member to staff can ask an Admin to have his custom made TW-related avatar uploaded and attached to his profile. The avatar you sent me, unfortunately, doesn't qualify, but if you can make a custom TW related avatar, I'll be more than happy to upload it.

Ja mata, TosaInu

As I understand it, general procedure for custom avatars is:
    1. pick avatar
    2. paint eyes red
    3. ???
    4. profit
    - Tellos Athenaios
    CUF tool - XIDX - PACK tool - SD tool - EVT tool - EB Install Guide - How to track down loading CTD's - EB 1.1 Maps thread

ὁ δ᾽ ἠλίθιος ὣσπερ πρόβατον βῆ βῆ λέγων βαδίζει” – Kratinos in Dionysalexandros.

Quote Originally Posted by Tellos Athenaios View Post
    As I understand it, general procedure for custom avatars is:
    1. pick avatar
    2. paint eyes red
    3. ???
    4. profit

You're just jealous at my artistic talent and qualities

Ja mata, TosaInu

And here i thought assassins where much endorsed here,
    But... bunnies are acceptable, yet not assassins creed themed pony assassin? (check my profile pic if curious)

I sense some duality here, with a lot of moderator leeway but i shall make the attempt to find something else nonetheless

Blog Entries

But... bunnies are acceptable, yet not assassins creed themed pony assassin? (check my profile pic if curious)

I sense some duality here, with a lot of moderator leeway
    I never uploaded or created this picture. It came as a selectable option. As I already pointed out, there is a member version too. It is taken from the TotalWar game.

Assassin Creed MyLittlePony is not from TotalWar.

Surprised to hear that its from a Total War game, glad to have it cleared though
    Assassin Creed MyLittlePony is not from TotalWar.
    But imagine what a glorious thing a combination of those three would be
    Last edited by Mithridate; 11-29-2012 at 06:25.

I'm not sure why your avatar was not allowed, when Andres sent me a PM stating that €5 would seal the deal for my pink anime girl avatar... try increasing the bribe amount...

Needs more flowers Moderator drone's Avatar

Surprised to hear that its from a Total War game, glad to have it cleared though
    The rabbit portrait is from Shogun 2, can't remember if it's from a retainer or something else though.
    The .Org's MTW Reference Guide Wiki - now taking comments, corrections, suggestions, and submissions

If I werent playing games Id be killing small animals at a higher rate than I am now - SFTS
    Si je n'étais pas jouer à des jeux que je serais mort de petits animaux à un taux plus élevé que je suis maintenant - Louis VI The Fat

"Why do you hate the extremely limited Spartan version of freedom?" - Lemur

Quote Originally Posted by caravel View Post
    I'm not sure why your avatar was not allowed, when Andres sent me a PM stating that €5 would seal the deal for my pink anime girl avatar... try increasing the bribe amount...
    You got a discount, because you paid several hundreds of euro's already for all those name changes.

Ja mata, TosaInu

I believe the discount was for my silence, in case I should expose the horrible truth about custom avatars..........

The several hundred euros was for senior membership and fake awards...

pinkanimegirlavatarnoworitalk

Ancillaries... Now thats one large pool of cool pics to go through, good idea

Grand Patron's Banner Bearer Senior Member Peasant Phill's Avatar
    Somewhere relatively safe, behind some one else, preferably at the back
    Blog Entries

Ancillaries... Now thats one large pool of cool pics to go through, good idea
    Simply put:
    Get a TW portrait
    Make it the right size
    make a (not so) subtle change to it
    Put the correct frame around it

Then there should be little to no reason to deny you a custom avatar.
    (I added a smirk in my avatar)
    Quote Originally Posted by Drone
    Someone has to watch over the wheat.
    Quote Originally Posted by TinCow
    We've made our walls sufficiently thick that we don't even hear the wet thuds of them bashing their brains against the outer wall and falling as lifeless corpses into our bottomless moat.