Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: poverty

One of the Undutchables Member The Stranger's Avatar

Default poverty

Do people have any moral imperative to help other people in the world escape poverty, and if so, to what extent?

We do not sow.

Default Re: poverty

Charity is good as long as it's voluntary.
    "And if the people raise a great howl against my barbarity and cruelty, I will answer that war is war and not popularity seeking. If they want peace, they and their relatives must stop the war." - William Tecumseh Sherman

“The market, like the Lord, helps those who help themselves. But unlike the Lord, the market does not forgive those who know not what they do.” - Warren Buffett

Senior Member Senior Member Idaho's Avatar

Africa is far too charitable to Europe and the US. They only get back $1 in poorly targetted aid for every $10 they pay out to US and European multinationals.
    "The republicans will draft your kids, poison the air and water, take away your social security and burn down black churches if elected." Gawain of Orkney

Member thankful for this post:

master of the pwniverse Member Fragony's Avatar

I am aiding two families in Africa, adopted them, what is nothing to me is a lot there. Doesn't feel well.

Quote Originally Posted by Fragony View Post
    I am aiding two families in Africa, adopted them, what is nothing to me is a lot there. Doesn't feel well.
    What do you make them do for you Frag?!

;) Nice one. I need to sort out something like that.
    "The republicans will draft your kids, poison the air and water, take away your social security and burn down black churches if elected." Gawain of Orkney

Charity is nonsense.

Making poor people richer benefits everyone, however.
    Still maintain that crying on the pitch should warrant a 3 match ban

Quote Originally Posted by HoreTore View Post
    Charity is nonsense.
    Charity is better than nothing

Making poor people richer benefits everyone, however.
    An admirable goal, but extremely difficult to achieve on a global scale.
    "And if the people raise a great howl against my barbarity and cruelty, I will answer that war is war and not popularity seeking. If they want peace, they and their relatives must stop the war." - William Tecumseh Sherman

“The market, like the Lord, helps those who help themselves. But unlike the Lord, the market does not forgive those who know not what they do.” - Warren Buffett

Quote Originally Posted by rvg View Post
    An admirable goal, but extremely difficult to achieve on a global scale.
    The richer people tend to stress how difficult, nay impossible, this is. I don't think the view is shared by the poorer.

Quote Originally Posted by rvg View Post
    Charity is better than nothing.
    ...collected through taxation and organized by the state.

can we please stick to a moral point of view :D Does it matter if you help someone on the other side of the globe, or someone nearer. If we do have to help people overcome their poverty, does that count only for our neighbours/fellow citizens or people in the country, or on the globe?

What the best way to help is, is an interesting discussion but not one I want discuss here. Allthough like someone said before, you can argue that the scale is too big for individuals to make a difference and that it has to be organised on a bigger scale. Its something I believe as well.

We do not sow.

Your question assumes that we should give something for people to overcome poverty, when what we really need to do is stop taking and making ourselves richer. Our wealth is the product of people's poverty.

smell the glove Senior Member Major Robert Dump's Avatar

Charity is fine, but it is unfortunate that the many charities are nothing more than a front to pay the upper staff over-the-top salaries.
    Foreign aid is fine as long as it is administered properly, which in most cases it is not.
    I provide financial support to the families of several prostitutes in a developing nation where I go to play Scrabble. I think this is very fine.

What is not fine, however, is this notion that people somehow have a right not to be poor, particularly when it comes from people who believe in evolution. I am not just talking about welfare within ones own country, I am talking about international welfare as well. The idea that people in Papa New Guniea innately DESERVE the same quality of life as people in Germany is flawed.
    Baby Quit Your Cryin' Put Your Clown Britches On!!!

rvg 

Quote Originally Posted by Major Robert Dump View Post
    The idea that people in Papa New Guniea innately DESERVE the same quality of life as people in Germany is flawed.
    Not as flawed as the belief that they innately deserve to not have the same quality of life.

Charity is fine, but it is unfortunate that the many charities are nothing more than a front to pay the upper staff over-the-top salaries.
    Foreign aid is fine as long as it is administered properly, which in most cases it is not.
    I provide financial support to the families of several prostitutes in a developing nation where I go to play Scrabble. I think this is very fine.

What is not fine, however, is this notion that people somehow have a right not to be poor, particularly when it comes from people who believe in evolution. I am not just talking about welfare within ones own country, I am talking about international welfare as well. The idea that people in Papa New Guniea innately DESERVE the same quality of life as people in Germany is flawed.
    based on what justification? you say it is flawed but not why. Also if they do not deserve the same quality of life why bother with charity?
    Last edited by The Stranger; 11-27-2012 at 17:55.

We do not sow.

Quote Originally Posted by Idaho View Post
    Your question assumes that we should give something for people to overcome poverty, when what we really need to do is stop taking and making ourselves richer. Our wealth is the product of people's poverty.
    No it doesnt, i'm not asking for solutions, just asking if we have an obligation. And if it is established that we do have that obligation then we can discuss how best to fullfill it. Whether that is by stop getting richer or making other people richer that is for then for that discussion. (although i do agree with you, we can only be as rich in the west because other people are as poor somewhere else)

We do not sow.

Darkside Medic Senior Member rory_20_uk's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I'd go with no.

Enlightened self interest is the best place to start. Sure, it doesn't work in all cases, but it is a good place to start.

An enemy that wishes to die for their country is the best sort to face - you both have the same aim in mind.
    Science flies you to the moon, religion flies you into buildings.
    "If you can't trust the local kleptocrat whom you installed by force and prop up with billions of annual dollars, who can you trust?" Lemur
    If you're not a liberal when you're 25, you have no heart. If you're not a conservative by the time you're 35, you have no brain.
    The best argument against democracy is a five minute talk with the average voter. Winston Churchill

What is not fine, however, is this notion that people somehow have a right not to be poor.
    With you so far.
    Not as flawed as the belief that they innately deserve to not have the same quality of life.
    That's the inverse of the argument. I don't think anyone actually argues for that (well except a few Neo Nazi's perhaps): rather the point is the whole "innate" thing is a red herring. People do not have a right to be lucky, either. There is no such thing as innate wealth or poverty.

There is the (from the recipient's point of view) accidental good fortune of being born "into" wealth, perhaps. Which is neither here nor there, just fortunate for the recipient. If he squanders it he does not automatically have a right to have it back.

There is abuse in the market by which poor people/corporations/countries are effectively excluded from competition or forced to accept unethical conditions, which is another thing entirely. That is morally wrong, from the do unto another line of reasoning.
    Last edited by Tellos Athenaios; 11-27-2012 at 20:23.
    - Tellos Athenaios
    CUF tool - XIDX - PACK tool - SD tool - EVT tool - EB Install Guide - How to track down loading CTD's - EB 1.1 Maps thread

ὁ δ᾽ ἠλίθιος ὣσπερ πρόβατον βῆ βῆ λέγων βαδίζει” – Kratinos in Dionysalexandros.

Quote Originally Posted by rory_20_uk View Post
    I'd go with no.

Enlightened self interest is the best place to start. Sure, it doesn't work in all cases, but it is a good place to start.

And as it is in our own self-interest to get people out of poverty, we should.

The richer they become, the richer we become.

Praefectus Fabrum Senior Member Anime BlackJack Champion, Flash Poker Champion, Word Up Champion, Shape Game Champion, Snake Shooter Champion, Fishwater Challenge Champion, Rocket Racer MX Champion, Jukebox Hero Champion, My House Is Bigger Than Your House Champion, Funky Pong Champion, Cutie Quake Champion, Fling The Cow Champion, Tiger Punch Champion, Virus Champion, Solitaire Champion, Worm Race Champion, Rope Walker Champion, Penguin Pass Champion, Skate Park Champion, Watch Out Champion, Lawn Pac Champion, Weapons Of Mass Destruction Champion, Skate Boarder Champion, Lane Bowling Champion, Bugz Champion, Makai Grand Prix 2 Champion, White Van Man Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, BlackJack Champion, Stans Ski Jumping Champion, Smaugs Treasure Champion, Sofa Longjump Champion Seamus Fermanagh's Avatar

As a Catholic, I believe that I have a moral obligation to help others in need. Scripture suggests this, and I view such good works as an expression of faith.

I personally prefer to focus most of my charitable efforts locally -- it is good for myself and my children to help out others in our own region (and the reminder that other's have it worse than I and that I should be thankful isn't a bad thing to remember either).

I disagree more or less completely with the means suggested explicitly above by Horetore and implicitly by Idaho.

There are approximately 114,500,000 households in the USA; with a total wealth of roughly $58 trillion. By household that would be a robust average of a little over $506k.

Per person, however, that's $186,500 or so. Such a per person nest egg would generate an annuitized income of 17,471.09 per person per annum from age 62 to 87 presuming an 8% return on the principal during the annuity payout. This is sufficient for one person to survive at about the 19th income percentile.

Full wealth distribution should allow everyone to subsist at a lifestyle equivalent to the highest rungs of the lower class/lowest rungs of the middle class by current definitions.

These numbers are, of course, for the relatively wealthy United States. Figures such as these would vary around the world, as would the poverty "line."
    "The only way that has ever been discovered to have a lot of people cooperate together voluntarily is through the free market. And that's why it's so essential to preserving individual freedom.” -- Milton Friedman

"The urge to save humanity is almost always a false front for the urge to rule." -- H. L. Mencken

Thats not what I said at all and you know it.

I was talking about bringing poor people up to the same level as everyone else. Many factors go into a persons quality of life, some their fault and most not their fault.

Let me put it like this: a town needs ditch diggers and unskilled laborers. So does a country. So does a planet. The notion that every country and community on the planet be on equal prosperity footing is a farce. It completely ignores climate, geopolitical, religous, education level, culture, natural resources and a whole slew of other but-fors.

I do not want to see people suffer, nor do I want people to live in abject poverty.

What I am saying is that when approaching charitable giving, the idea that the people you are giving to DESERVE it is flawed.

Quote Originally Posted by The Stranger View Post
    based on what justification? you say it is flawed but not why. Also if they do not deserve the same quality of life why bother with charity?
    Because if they deserve it, its not charity.

Poverty is a violation of human rights, and we've all agreed to follow those.

The human rights declaration specifies a certain level. That's a first goal, and that's the responsibility of the state, not the individual.

Once that's taken care of, we can discuss higher levels if we want.

The human rights declaration specifies a certain level. That's a first goal, and that's the responsibility of the state, not the individual.

So if you have a neighbor who won't get a job, keeps having children, has some bad habits and as a result of all of these lives in poverty, then you are violating his/her human rights when you don't bail them out? If you have a third world government that spends its countries wealth on palaces and golden filled chocolate bars, instead of taking care of its own people, their neighboring countries are violating human rights by not intervening? IS YOU GEORGE BUSH???

Your statement also means that Amish Americans are violating their own human rights.

Members thankful for this post (4):

Darkside Medic Senior Member rory_20_uk's Avatar
    Blog Entries

And as it is in our own self-interest to get people out of poverty, we should.

The richer they become, the richer we become.
    Based upon what exactly?

An enemy that wishes to die for their country is the best sort to face - you both have the same aim in mind.
    Science flies you to the moon, religion flies you into buildings.
    "If you can't trust the local kleptocrat whom you installed by force and prop up with billions of annual dollars, who can you trust?" Lemur
    If you're not a liberal when you're 25, you have no heart. If you're not a conservative by the time you're 35, you have no brain.
    The best argument against democracy is a five minute talk with the average voter. Winston Churchill

Enlightened Despot Member Vladimir's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by rory_20_uk View Post
    Based upon what exactly?

Ideology.

Reinvent the British and you get a global finance center, edible food and better service. Reinvent the French and you may just get more Germans.
    Quote Originally Posted by Evil_Maniac From Mars
    How do you motivate your employees? Waterboarding, of course.
    Ik hou van ferme grieten en dikke pinten
    Down with dried flowers!
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

The Black Senior Member Papewaio's Avatar

Define: Poverty
    Define: not-poverty
    Define: middle class, rich and wealthy.

Then you can debate the morality once you are in agreement of the definitions.

For starters are we debating absolute or relative poverty. Is that inter or intra country relative poverty.

In short your question needs to decide is it an African or European Swallow.
    Our genes maybe in the basement but it does not stop us chosing our point of view from the top.
    Quote Originally Posted by Louis VI the Fat
    Pape for global overlord!!
    Quote Originally Posted by English assassin
    Squid sources report that scientists taste "sort of like chicken"
    Quote Originally Posted by frogbeastegg View Post
    The rest is either as average as advertised or, in the case of the missionary, disappointing.

Lemur 

So if you have a neighbor who won't get a job, keeps having children, has some bad habits and as a result of all of these lives in poverty, then you are violating his/her human rights when you don't bail them out? If you have a third world government that spends its countries wealth on palaces and golden filled chocolate bars, instead of taking care of its own people, their neighboring countries are violating human rights by not intervening? IS YOU GEORGE BUSH???

Your statement also means that Amish Americans are violating their own human rights.
    There was me thinking our countries pissed all our money away bailing out banks.

I think some of you may be misunderstanding Horetore...
    Vitiate Man.

History repeats the old conceits
    The glib replies, the same defeats

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Human rights can only be violated by the State, not individual citizens. Human rights 101.

I know conservatives love to focus on the first half of the declaration and ignore the second half. Sorry guys, it doesn't work like that.

Things like education, healthcare and a roof over your head are part of the human rights. The states who cannot provide that for their citizens violate the human rights charter, just like the Chinese do.

Have a look at article 25. Poverty below that standard is a human rights abuse.
    Last edited by HoreTore; 11-27-2012 at 22:57.

Andres 

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast