YAOUWZA, and hello

As some might know, who has followed my posts over the years, I have a background primarily as ski instructor in the Austrian alps.

Some years ago, I gave that up to... well... grow up. I shaved, cut my hair, and took a job as a private school teacher at one of Sweden's finest schools. Shirt and tie every day, polished shoes... Oh how I hated it. I swear that putting on the tie felt like putting on my own hanging snare, each and every morning...

I just couldnt stand Stockholm, Sweden, anymore. After having spent so much time in the sunny alps, where people THRIVE, it was impossible to go back to a grey and boring lifestyle.

In Stockholm, everyone stressed around, mainly with depressed faces. People were only dressed in dark earth colours. Immigrant gangs roaming the streets, citizens walking around them with their eyes down, afraid that this is the time they get robbed.

Really, the whole atmosphere just brought me down... Down down down...

So, I gave the whole thing up. Also meant I had to break up with the love of my life (and fiance to boot!), shit happens huh?

Anyway, the eagle has landed.

Two days ago I arrived back in the town where it all began. The town that saved / ruined me forever, depending on perspective.

I mean to have this thread to update you, share some photos, answer questions about the skibum lifestyle, and maybe do a dare or two, who knows?

So basically, if you have any questions about this type of life that I live, then fire away.

I am located in one of Europe's cooler resorts, and have a pretty damn good insight in just about everything that happens in town. I am one of the most experienced ski instructors in town, and known to be one of the best skiers in town. And you know, this is Austria (SPARTA!!), it says something. People around here give babys skis as birth gifts, my friends baby already has 7 pairs of skis, and he isn't even 3 weeks old.

Anyway, as I said, I know how most things around here operate. The travel reps, hotel owners, bar owners, russian mafia, yugoslavian mafia, whore house... Over the years I have grown contacts into pretty much every branch of the town. This is because I as a private ski instructor often get asked to also function as local guide, or even "fixer".

Some things I will of course have to be "in general terms" about, but I am running my life 100% legal. Just so we got that clear.

Ok, 95% legal, I do walk across the road even if the sign is red

BTW, prostitution is legal here. Deal with it.

Anyway, here we go!

First impressions:

I arrived in town, and my place is a dump. It wasn't what was promised, at all. The place is under construction, and my bit still was a construction site.

Anyway, booked a hotel for 3 nights (know people there and got a really good price), and decided to deal with it.

Buuuuut... things are looking up. I have a small plan to turn the room into something really cool, with a projector and white screen, full surround sound, so I can watch films and play PS3 like in a movie theater.

Yeah, it will be SUCH a bachelors flat, but hey, it's only for 6 months, and I just plan to ski and have fun anyway.

Work...

I thought I would work at the usual place, but 3 more ski schools have opened up in town, and 2 of them are run by former colleagues of mine.

Yesterday actually made me quite happy, as I met two of them, and they both started to "fight" about who could give me the best deal. I am bragging now, but you must understand, in Austria you NEVER get told that you do a good job.

I know I am a good instructor, but to see these hardcore Austrian veteran instructors argue who would have me... I don't know, it made me proud. These guys do NOT tolerate Swedish guys who think they can ski, so to say. So to get respect from them as a foreigner is BIG.

Anyway, all for now!

Lifts will open friday, I plan to hit the slopes then. Will try and keep you updated, fire away with the questions if you have any.

This is a rather different lifestyle, and not many people have insight in what goes on behind the scene at a winter resort. I thought some of you might find it interestind, MRD's thread gave me the inspiration...