Thread: A life on the edge...

Default A life on the edge...

YAOUWZA, and hello

As some might know, who has followed my posts over the years, I have a background primarily as ski instructor in the Austrian alps.

Some years ago, I gave that up to... well... grow up. I shaved, cut my hair, and took a job as a private school teacher at one of Sweden's finest schools. Shirt and tie every day, polished shoes... Oh how I hated it. I swear that putting on the tie felt like putting on my own hanging snare, each and every morning...

I just couldnt stand Stockholm, Sweden, anymore. After having spent so much time in the sunny alps, where people THRIVE, it was impossible to go back to a grey and boring lifestyle.

In Stockholm, everyone stressed around, mainly with depressed faces. People were only dressed in dark earth colours. Immigrant gangs roaming the streets, citizens walking around them with their eyes down, afraid that this is the time they get robbed.

Really, the whole atmosphere just brought me down... Down down down...

So, I gave the whole thing up. Also meant I had to break up with the love of my life (and fiance to boot!), shit happens huh?

Anyway, the eagle has landed.

Two days ago I arrived back in the town where it all began. The town that saved / ruined me forever, depending on perspective.

I mean to have this thread to update you, share some photos, answer questions about the skibum lifestyle, and maybe do a dare or two, who knows?

So basically, if you have any questions about this type of life that I live, then fire away.

I am located in one of Europe's cooler resorts, and have a pretty damn good insight in just about everything that happens in town. I am one of the most experienced ski instructors in town, and known to be one of the best skiers in town. And you know, this is Austria (SPARTA!!), it says something. People around here give babys skis as birth gifts, my friends baby already has 7 pairs of skis, and he isn't even 3 weeks old.

Anyway, as I said, I know how most things around here operate. The travel reps, hotel owners, bar owners, russian mafia, yugoslavian mafia, whore house... Over the years I have grown contacts into pretty much every branch of the town. This is because I as a private ski instructor often get asked to also function as local guide, or even "fixer".

Some things I will of course have to be "in general terms" about, but I am running my life 100% legal. Just so we got that clear.

Ok, 95% legal, I do walk across the road even if the sign is red

BTW, prostitution is legal here. Deal with it.

Anyway, here we go!

First impressions:

I arrived in town, and my place is a dump. It wasn't what was promised, at all. The place is under construction, and my bit still was a construction site.

Anyway, booked a hotel for 3 nights (know people there and got a really good price), and decided to deal with it.

Buuuuut... things are looking up. I have a small plan to turn the room into something really cool, with a projector and white screen, full surround sound, so I can watch films and play PS3 like in a movie theater.

Yeah, it will be SUCH a bachelors flat, but hey, it's only for 6 months, and I just plan to ski and have fun anyway.

Work...

I thought I would work at the usual place, but 3 more ski schools have opened up in town, and 2 of them are run by former colleagues of mine.

Yesterday actually made me quite happy, as I met two of them, and they both started to "fight" about who could give me the best deal. I am bragging now, but you must understand, in Austria you NEVER get told that you do a good job.

I know I am a good instructor, but to see these hardcore Austrian veteran instructors argue who would have me... I don't know, it made me proud. These guys do NOT tolerate Swedish guys who think they can ski, so to say. So to get respect from them as a foreigner is BIG.

Anyway, all for now!

Lifts will open friday, I plan to hit the slopes then. Will try and keep you updated, fire away with the questions if you have any.

This is a rather different lifestyle, and not many people have insight in what goes on behind the scene at a winter resort. I thought some of you might find it interestind, MRD's thread gave me the inspiration...

master of the pwniverse Member Fragony's Avatar

Default Re: A life on the edge...

I want these pics, imho you are not all that sexy at all judging from your posts, there has to be more to you than your total-autism in social skills and your unpleasant nature in general. Read as 'I want to see hot babes'

Sovereign Oppressor Member TIE Fighter Shooter Champion, Turkey Shoot Champion, Juggler Champion Kralizec's Avatar

Not a decision that I would have made, but I'm usually indifferent towards life decisions made by grown adults as long as they don't affect me. More power to you, I suppose.

What's your age? I've always imagined you were in your early thirties or something, is that about right?

smell the glove Senior Member Major Robert Dump's Avatar

I'll be curious to see if things have changed much with the world economy in a slag.

Also, even if you don't have to pay for it, I expect a market summary of the price schemes of the working girls in a PM
    Baby Quit Your Cryin' Put Your Clown Britches On!!!

Senior Member Senior Member Fisherking's Avatar

I take it, you are in Tirol?

Education: that which reveals to the wise,
    and conceals from the stupid,
    the vast limits of their knowledge.
    Mark Twain

Quick update as I am about to go get my hair cut.

MRD, I can write down the rates here, official and unofficial, but I wont have time till later. About world economy, it is actually quite interesting here. Good question, I will go into depth about that later, as it has affected us in different ways than I think most would expect. Way easier for me to get a job, as an example. More tonight.

Fisherking, I wont disclose my location more than Austria. I will probably write some stuff that could offend people around me.

Kralizec, well, my life is mine. I was utterly depressed in Sweden living the ""normal" life there. I need the atmosphere that I have only found here, to make MY life worthwhile. Don't get me wrong, I am sure living on ~1500€ + tips isn't for everyone in their early thirties (as I am), but hey, if it floats my boat..

Here, I wake up with a big smile, excited about what the day will hold. What more can you expect from life, really?

Liar and Trickster Senior Member Andres's Avatar

I think it's great that you made this decision. Most people would simply stick to their current (boring) lives for a variety of reasons. You just brushed all of that aside and decided to go for what Kadagar_AV wants in live. And since you don't have a wife or kids (not that you know of... ), why wouldn't you leave Sweden and go chase your dreams? Who knows, perhaps within this and a few years, you have your own ski school, just like some of your former colleagues, a good Austrian wife who found a way to tame you and put you on a leash and a baby with 7 pairs of skis.
    Andres is our Lord and Master and could strike us down with thunderbolts or beer cans at any time. ~Askthepizzaguy

Ja mata, TosaInu

Member thankful for this post:

Needs more flowers Moderator drone's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Fisherking View Post
    I take it, you are in Tirol?
    My guess is that he's in Lech, violating the female nobility.
    The .Org's MTW Reference Guide Wiki - now taking comments, corrections, suggestions, and submissions

If I werent playing games Id be killing small animals at a higher rate than I am now - SFTS
    Si je n'étais pas jouer à des jeux que je serais mort de petits animaux à un taux plus élevé que je suis maintenant - Louis VI The Fat

"Why do you hate the extremely limited Spartan version of freedom?" - Lemur

World economy and the valley:

2 factors together are working for us. First of all, ski vacations are generally the last thing people skip. I have found that people used to go on ski vacation once or more per year prefer to, say, give up the family's second car than cancel the ski trip.

The second factor is that Austria, thanks to the Euro plummeting and Austria being smart, are now pretty damn cheap compared to Switzerland or France, our two main competitors. Many families and groups who switch country from year to year, this year pick Austria as it is comparatively cheaper.

Basically, this town is experiencing a mini-gold rush.

3 more ski schools have opened just this vinter! That is... massive...

My day:

I shaved and went and got my hair cut. I feel that the world has changed a little, and not everyone accept a long haired ski instructor. I can always turn them to my side, but I don't feel like starting a lesson on minus, so to say.

I spent the day checking up the street credential of the 3 different ski schools I consider working for. I am down to 2 options:

1) The biggest ski school in town, where I have worked since 2001.
    + Used to it.
    + Well paid.
    + I know the unofficial boundaries.
    + I have a base of private guests.
    + Monthly paid.
    - Been there done that.
    - I have learnt all they have to teach me.
    - Much work.

2) Smallest ski school in town, newly starting to accept instructors.

Basically, this ski school was run by a guy with a ski school license, but he was the only one working for himself. Now he wants me and maybe one more guy along, to start to expand. Also, he is getting older (60+) and possibly want someone to pass on his private guests to.
    + New challenge.
    + I can extend my list of private guests.
    + I think this guy has some things to teach me, he has spent his life on the mountain.
    + Opens up new connections in town.
    - Possible loyalty issues with old work place?
    - Possibly less paid as I get paid per hour I work, not per month. So my own ability to get guests will play in.
    - Will lose some connections connected with former work place.

Hmmmm... Tricky tricky... I lean towards option 2 though. I mean, I AM winging my life anyway... Might as well go all in.

I also helped out at one of the ski rentals, renovating it. Or, well, helped out... I was Spotify DJ and sat in a couch drinking beer as they worked. Hey, it's not like I got paid. But yeah, I did help some when needed... These guys are great though, gives me super deals on equipment and help me look after my gear. I haven't sharpened the edges or waxed my own skis since 2001, my first year here.

The owner is getting the newest Go Pro Helmet Cam, so I will buy his old one (50€, a bargain!). So, expect a first person perspective from a ski run later!

I have yet to sort a camera, so pictures will have to wait...

I was down at the biggest bar in town today, DAMN one of the new bartender girls are hot. Dark hair, porcelain skin... Swedish BABE, and just soooooo cute...

Yeah, it took me all of 5 min to have her go with me on a private lesson as soon as slopes open... So yeah, odds are we'll play Twister. The owner of the bar will be furious though, me having sex with his bartenders have become more or less a tradition, and I promise him pretty much constantly that the last one was the last one. I'm not sure he believe me much any longer. In all fairness, it's not MY fault that he and I obviously have the same taste in girls. I'm not joking, every single year he hires someone that just make me... Whatevs ;)

Oh, and btw, this girl had a bad crash skiing when she was young, but now want to get back into it. As a professional ski instructor I will of course help her overcome her fears. On the mountain, I will be her safety net, the calm in the storm, her safety line... And yeah, when she comes down from the last run she will have a big smile on her face, and she will again have learnt to love skiing.

Just if anyone wondered just how interested she could possibly be in playing Twister.

Now it's soon 23:pm local time, time to hit the night life!

Old Town Road Senior Member Strike For The South's Avatar

Not surprising

I don't think I have ever met someone who captures the libertine and the bourgeois so perfectly
    There, but for the grace of God, goes John Bradford

My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.

I am tired and sick of war. Its glory is all moonshine. It is only those who have neither fired a shot nor heard the shrieks and groans of the wounded who cry aloud for blood, for vengeance, for desolation.

Hax 

Good for you, doing what you love and making it work for you.
    - Tellos Athenaios
    CUF tool - XIDX - PACK tool - SD tool - EVT tool - EB Install Guide - How to track down loading CTD's - EB 1.1 Maps thread

ὁ δ᾽ ἠλίθιος ὣσπερ πρόβατον βῆ βῆ λέγων βαδίζει” – Kratinos in Dionysalexandros.

Quote Originally Posted by Strike For The South View Post
    Not surprising

I don't think I have ever met someone who captures the libertine and the bourgeois so perfectly
    Not to mention with such style!

Last night was nice, didn't see the cute new bartender though. I was, however, not the only one she had left an impression on. Some of the other bartenders at the place talked about her. She is known to be a complete and utter tease, and absolutely impossible to pick up. They have known her for 2 weeks. Hmmmm... Thing is, even girls who are extremely picky will at least at one point during the season get laid. You just have to make sure you are the one there when it happens.

Also new bartenders there are 2 sisters from Argentina. Super cool girls, I love tough bartender girls... They have a certain charm.

I am a bit nervous about today. Today is the second shot at moving in at my new place. Last time it was a dump, I will later go down and see how it looks now. But yeah, I am supposed to move in there this evening, hope it at least has a lock on the door now...

Oh well, I can sleep away some more nights.

Today is a VERY special day here. It's the day of an ancient tradition, celebrated in the mountainous parts of Europe. I will tell you more about it later, and try and find some links.

Oh, and people get hurt today... it's a rough tradition, to say the least.

The Black Senior Member Papewaio's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Strike For The South View Post
    Not surprising

Ah a man who knows what he wants, chooses lifestyle over money, works outdoors and is honest about it. One would think a Texan would understand. Maybe they are all hat and no action.
    Last edited by Papewaio; 12-05-2012 at 08:55.
    Our genes maybe in the basement but it does not stop us chosing our point of view from the top.
    Quote Originally Posted by Louis VI the Fat
    Pape for global overlord!!
    Quote Originally Posted by English assassin
    Squid sources report that scientists taste "sort of like chicken"
    Quote Originally Posted by frogbeastegg View Post
    The rest is either as average as advertised or, in the case of the missionary, disappointing.

master of the pwniverse Member Fragony's Avatar

Live the dream mia muca

BrownWings: AirViceMarshall Senior Member Furunculus's Avatar

good luck.
    Furunculus Maneuver: Adopt a highly logical position on a controversial subject where you cannot disagree with the merits of the proposal, only disagree with an opinion based on fundamental values. - Beskar

WOW, hectic!

First week feels like a lifetime already. Making business contacts, meeting new people, hanging with old time friends...

If I can summarize the experience so far it would be: "Liberating".

I have hit the slopes already, awesome! Even better than I remembered to be honest, but that might be because I previously didn't compare it to a grey existence in a dark and gloomy Sweden.

I have no idea how much time I will have to update this, but let me start with introducing my living...

First of all, it's a dump. So we got that out of the way. Also keep that in mind as you read the rest.

I have my own room, but share kitchen and toilet with 2 others. It's located in an old hotel, semi half in ruins. You will actually find that a lot in Austria, nice little resorts with ghost hotels. For years I thought it was economical reasons, but found it strange that very well doing resorts had ruins smack in the middle of town. The real story, however, is somewhat dark.

Lots of jews owned hotels prior to WWII, and well...Many of them disappeared.

Now, to understand the rest there are 2 things you must understand about Austria:
    1. it's one of the most bureaucratic countries in the world.
    2. it's one of the most guilt ridden countries in the world.

These two factors together have made it an absolute HELL to handle these hotels.

Tracking down inheritors and settling ownership rights are law processes that stretches over several families in several nations and parts of the world. Also, the very idea of speeding up the process is unthinkable. The very idea of a picture ending in the press, of a bulldozer tearing down a jewish owned hotel without 10000% fair trade is... Nightmarish...

In some resorts, the whole town center has moved because of this.

Anyway, straying from the topic..

A friend of mine has bought some stores in this old hotel, that is now (finally!!) up for grabs. He has turned it into some type of living quarters for skiers, complete with gym, movie theater room and a foam pit. The foam pit is pretty cool, it's an old swim hall, and where the water was there is now bits of foam and padded walls, so we can practice jumps in the evenings. Awesome!!

Most others live 2 and 2, or as many as 6 per room.

It's mainly ski instructors, bartenders, travel reps... Young, handsome, tanned people. Half of them look like they could be modelling. No really, I feel old and unfit. Last night two of the guys took their shirts off and... I dunno.. If I was gay in the least I would have had wet dreams about just licking their bodies for weeks.

Well, I still ski the **** out of anyone else here though, so I do ok.

Side tracking again...

I love the hotel, exploring it is awesome. 3 of the floors on one side is ours, but there are 7 more floors and 2 more sides. All very old and with seemingly no planning. Stairs going 2 floors up, next stair 4, one stair ending in... nothing? And all like it was left, when it was left. I can't believe the place hasn't been scavenged and pillaged, but it's Tabu among the locals, and tourists don't come by this part much.

Anyway, exploring it is awesome as I said. The place is MASSIVE and built in the towns golden age. Absolutely no expenses were spared. As an example, the showers are the ones coming from the sides and from the top, built some 100 years before it was cool and hip.

Now, however, where we live it is a construction site. And the furniture is a mix of dusty old things scavenged from the hotel, and cheap IKEA ****.

My room I will turn into a bachelors den. I am gonna live here for 6 months, all alone, with no plan to find a wife.

I have a couch from my old place here, and will get the art back that I borrowed to a friend. it's my dads old things, and I like them.

Also, I will get a white screen I can pull down from the roof, and a projector I can hook up to my PS3.

Did I mention it was a bachelors den?

Update on the cute bartender girl: She is even cuter, my god, she gets cuter by the day! Will take her skiing one day soon (we agreed). She asked me to drop by after her shift ended at 9pm yesterday... but... I am ill, and fell asleep.

Might be a good thing, she is probably not used to getting dissed.

Quick update.

This town really suck you in. Am going skiing every day now, with some of the worlds best skiers. I at times feel like a complete beginner, and I almost **** my pants a few times a day... But I can't say it isn't fun.

I still struggle seeing a permanent life here year around, but hey... The winter is long and fun, so no need to worry.

Will try and get a camera tomorrow, and find a place to upload (am not 100% sure my connection here can handle it).

2 observations:

A) Way more drugs around, more people taking to drugs because of the world economy, different clientele visiting...? I have no idea, but the drugs are flowing more than I have ever seen.

I can't say I like it much, skiing should be in focus around here.

B) What's up with girls and S/M sex? It seems that since "50 shades of grey" came out on pocket every girl and their mum wants to be tied up and beaten. Bartenders, ski instructors, travel reps and so on are all collectively puzzled.

If you have any questions, flame away :)

smell the glove Senior Member Major Robert Dump's Avatar

Hotel=The Shining

Buy a leather outfit for the sm girls
    Baby Quit Your Cryin' Put Your Clown Britches On!!!

Sorry, no S/M for me yet...

But seriously, it's the big talk in town.