Thread: Faction preview 1 - ROME

REX POLONIAE Moderator KLAssurbanipal's Avatar

Default Faction preview 1 - ROME

“Strength, honour, duty.”

The Roman Republic is in a period of major growth. Pyrrhus and his invading Greek warriors have been driven from the shores of Italy, and the burgeoning Republic boasts the military muscle to match its ambition. Rome is the dominant power on the Italian peninsula, and stands at a turning point in history. But to expand, she must conquer. To the North lies the Estruscan League, and beyond, the Barbarian lands. To the east lie the Greeks, and to the south and west, the Carthaginians…[/CENTER]

Since throwing off the rule of the Etruscan Kings in around 500BC, the Roman Republic has come to represent a power like no other. Military service is mandatory for citizens, and one of the most profound contributions a citizen can make. This makes the Republic militaristic at its very heart.

The strength of the Roman army lies in organisation, discipline and strict tactical doctrine. Well-drilled, well-equipped heavy infantry form the backbone of the army. The young, lightly armoured hastati man the frontlines. Behind them stand the more skilled, chainmail-clad principes. The oldest and most experienced warriors – the bronze-armoured triarii – hold the rear. These monolithic formations are supported by the Roman cavalry, or equites.

As a playable faction, Rome benefits economically from its excellence in metalwork, enjoys enhanced military development, and can exploit the masses in order to maintain public order. Furthermore, the player will choose to conduct the affairs of Rome as the head of one of three great Roman houses: The Julia, The Cornelia, and the Junia, each of which bring further economic, military and cultural benefits.

http://wiki.totalwar.com/index.php?t...ion&oldid=3609

Last edited by Lemur; 05-09-2013 at 17:20. Reason: Yet more hotlinked images.

Member thankful for this post:

wumpus 

Senior Member Senior Member Barkhorn1x's Avatar

Default Re: Faction preview 1 - ROME

Quote Originally Posted by King Louise Assurbanipal View Post
    Furthermore, the player will choose to conduct the affairs of Rome as the head of one of three great Roman houses: The Julia, The Cornelia, and the Junia, each of which bring further economic, military and cultural benefits.
    The Scipii and the Bruttii object!!!
    "Après moi le déluge"

COYATOYPIKC Senior Member Flatout Minigame Champion Arjos's Avatar
    Prisoners upon this rock, flying without wings...

Cornelii Scipii and Junii Bruti :P

Nomen followed by cognomen, they are correct in calling the Houses, by the nomen...
    Branches simply took a specific cognomen...

Basically they are all in the game ^^

I sure hope that map is not supposed to be representative of the actual map.
    Beneventum not Capua???
    Lilybaeum as sole capital of Sicily???
    Consentia?
    Brundisium?
    Maybe makes sense in later Empire period but not in the time of Rome rising to dominance that Rome:TW is supposed to represent.
    maybe those guys should be doing something more useful...

Blog Entries

it could be just art from a cgi intro or something like that i know shogun 2 had something similar

Quote Originally Posted by Arjos View Post
    Cornelii Scipii and Junii Bruti :P

Nomen followed by cognomen, they are correct in calling the Houses, by the nomen...
    Branches simply took a specific cognomen...

Basically they are all in the game ^^
    I stands corrected.
    "Après moi le déluge"

Uergobretos Senior Member Brennus's Avatar

Well its already stumbling on the accuracy front (not that I'm petty or anything :p). The Colosseum is Flavian in date and the Pantheon is Hadrianic, neither existed in the 3rd century BC.

donated by ARCHIPPOS for being friendly to new people.
    donated by Macilrille for wit.
    donated by stratigos vasilios for starting new and interesting threads
    donated by Tellos Athenaios as a welcome to Campus Martius

Or the game continues to that era? We may never know ^^
    Velho and his hoplites - By Unknown

Uergobretos Senior Member Brennus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Velho View Post
    Or the game continues to that era? We may never know ^^
    It may do, but those uniforms and helmets are 3rd-1st century BC.

donated by ARCHIPPOS for being friendly to new people.
    donated by Macilrille for wit.
    donated by stratigos vasilios for starting new and interesting threads
    donated by Tellos Athenaios as a welcome to Campus Martius

Quote Originally Posted by Pharaoh rameses II View Post
    it could be just art from a cgi intro or something like that i know shogun 2 had something similar
    It definitly looks like a province map, you have the larger provinces, such as Italia and Macedonia, divided into smaller sub-provinces as was promised.

There are less provinces in Italy, but seeing as Rome is no longer divided into multiple factions it doesn't need as many provinces. Have they announced how many provinces there are meant to be?

Urwendur Ûrîbêl Senior Member Mouzafphaerre's Avatar

"Scipii" is not a word...
    Ja mata Tosa Inu-sama, Hore Tore, Adrian II, Sigurd, Fragony

Mouzafphaerre is known elsewhere as Urwendil/Urwendur/Kibilturg...

COYATOYPIKC Senior Member Flatout Minigame Champion Arjos's Avatar
    Prisoners upon this rock, flying without wings...

Yes, Scipiones is the correct one, pardon :P

Tell it to CA.
    "Après moi le déluge"

Urwendur Ûrîbêl Senior Member Mouzafphaerre's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Arjos View Post
    Yes, Scipiones is the correct one, pardon :P
    Wasn't addressing you; just the "fond" memories of RTW...
    Ja mata Tosa Inu-sama, Hore Tore, Adrian II, Sigurd, Fragony

Mouzafphaerre is known elsewhere as Urwendil/Urwendur/Kibilturg...

While using the nomen is an improvement Julia, Cornelia and Junia are the feminine forms - should be Julii, Cornelii and Junii.

And that map is CRAP historically - Capua was much more important than Beneventum, Tarentum than Brundisium and as for Consentia this was such a minor town that I had to look it up in Livy's History where it only appears 5 times (compared to say Rhegium which has well over a dozen mentions in the index).

At least around the Mediterranean and barring the odd unavoidable anachronism the RTW1 map was actually pretty good historically - this really is a half assed effort where someone almost completely ignorant of history has just picked towns at random.

If this is their attitude then we are almost certainly going to get Mummy Returns Egyptians and suchlike fantasy crap all over again - but probably without any means of modding them into something historically accurate.

Hugely disappointing....

master of the wierd people Member Ibrahim's Avatar

well, if you want my opinion, I think they should have provided an option to sack cities, and found cities. In short, make the game-play based not on provinces, but cities (as in Civ series, but without that predetermined "borderland" thingy from Civ), with the areas in between being organized as the player sees fit.

It would certainly provide incentive to create frontiers, defenses for such (like great walls, border forts/towns, etc.). Of course, we would have to balance between making it require needless micromanagemet, and making it too automatic (so that you might as well make it province based)

EDIT: this is to get around the whole anachronistic provinces problem. and it is a little harder to get the cities wrong really (though judging from RTW, far from impossible).
    Last edited by Ibrahim; 12-14-2012 at 08:36.
    I was once alive, but then a girl came and took out my ticker.

my 4 year old modding project--nearing completion: http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=219506 (if you wanna help, join me).

tired of ridiculous trouble with walking animations? then you need my brand newmotion capture for the common man!

"We have proven, beyond a shadow of a doubt, that if we put the belonging to, in the I don't know what, all gas lines will explode " -alBernameg

Quote Originally Posted by Jacobin View Post
    While using the nomen is an improvement Julia, Cornelia and Junia are the feminine forms - should be Julii, Cornelii and Junii.
    I'll just pretend they mean gens Julia.

One of the Undutchables Member The Stranger's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jacobin View Post

And that map is CRAP historically - Capua was much more important than Beneventum, Tarentum than Brundisium and as for Consentia this was such a minor town that I had to look it up in Livy's History where it only appears 5 times (compared to say Rhegium which has well over a dozen mentions in the index).

At least around the Mediterranean and barring the odd unavoidable anachronism the RTW1 map was actually pretty good historically - this really is a half assed effort where someone almost completely ignorant of history has just picked towns at random.

If this is their attitude then we are almost certainly going to get Mummy Returns Egyptians and suchlike fantasy crap all over again - but probably without any means of modding them into something historically accurate.

Hugely disappointing....
    there will be multiple cities in a region...

We do not sow.

well, there better be several cities in a region--that'd be more realistic. and, during the game play, we'd have more fun with such arrangement. hawooh.
    "Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent." ~Salvor Hardin

The map will right itself, we know of their plans have many regions and such, so no bother there. I for one am very much intrigued by the fact that it is one Roman faction yet we can choose which gens to play as. This could make for a very interesting multiplayer or RPG scenarios. I really wonder how they will implement it. Rome will definitely be my first faction so the representation and such will probably define my entire RTW II experience, first impressions and all that!

Strategist and Storyteller Member Myth's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Brother Sam View Post
    The map will right itself, we know of their plans have many regions and such, so no bother there. I for one am very much intrigued by the fact that it is one Roman faction yet we can choose which gens to play as. This could make for a very interesting multiplayer or RPG scenarios. I really wonder how they will implement it. Rome will definitely be my first faction so the representation and such will probably define my entire RTW II experience, first impressions and all that!
    Ah yes, multiplayer. They removed hotseat in the tradinitional sense past M2TW. I know Lusted lurks these forums - he knows full well just how great Hotseat is and how much it improved the game (along with mods like SS and TATW). If Rome II has full, campaign map hotseat mode (not the deathmatch thing from Shogun 2) and is as moddable as were Rome and Medieval 2, then the game cannot fail even if it ships as a pile of bug ridden, DLC waiting dung (which I don't expect to be the case).
    The art of war, then, is governed by five constant
    factors, to be taken into account in one's deliberations,
    when seeking to determine the conditions obtaining in the field.

These are: (1) The Moral Law; (2) Heaven; (3) Earth;
    (4) The Commander; (5) Method and discipline.
    Sun Tzu, "The Art of War"
    Like totalwar.org on Facebook!

Strategist and Storyteller Member Myth's Avatar

double post
    Last edited by Myth; 04-26-2013 at 08:09.
    The art of war, then, is governed by five constant
    factors, to be taken into account in one's deliberations,
    when seeking to determine the conditions obtaining in the field.

These are: (1) The Moral Law; (2) Heaven; (3) Earth;
    (4) The Commander; (5) Method and discipline.
    Sun Tzu, "The Art of War"
    Like totalwar.org on Facebook!