Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Total Warhammer?

Default Re: Total Warhammer?

Quote Originally Posted by MadKow View Post
    Gettysburg was released in 97, iirc, Warhammer: Shadow of the Horned is from 95, and WH: Dark Omen is a 98 release (iirc). Both were real time tactics. On the strategy level one could reinforce old units and recruit new units, but that was tied to game progression and narrative, not strategical choices. I dont knw the Warhammer Universe, is there a form of economics/cultures behind the military? If so the TW formula would apply directly.
    FoG was from around '93 and while it was unlikely to be the first of it's kind, it did have parameters such as morale, terrain, units of multiple men, cavalry, infantry and artillery in historical battles all played out in real time, etc.
    Last edited by caravel; 01-04-2013 at 15:37.

Quote Originally Posted by Kocmoc View Post
    I believe that CA will stick to their known system. Campaignmap and the battles.
    I agree. I think it will be more of what they do best. Turn based strategy and real time combat. This style has served us well so if it ain't broke it doesn't need fixing.
    Time flies like the wind. Fruit flies like bananas.

The Black Senior Member Papewaio's Avatar

CA also does mobile games. It's a big market that both CA and GW would love to get more of their IP into.
    Our genes maybe in the basement but it does not stop us chosing our point of view from the top.
    Quote Originally Posted by Louis VI the Fat
    Pape for global overlord!!
    Quote Originally Posted by English assassin
    Squid sources report that scientists taste "sort of like chicken"
    Quote Originally Posted by frogbeastegg View Post
    The rest is either as average as advertised or, in the case of the missionary, disappointing.

Is it true Undead armies have no morale? how will CA handle that surely they will have to die really quick? would be a disaster to have a whole army with no morale!

"The mind is everything. What you think you become."

"The whole secret of existence is to have no fear. Never fear what will become of you, depend on no one. Only the moment you reject all help are you freed."

Buddha

Needs more flowers Moderator drone's Avatar

It's been several versions since I played WFB, but it used to be that the undead didn't take Leadership tests (essentially morale, but also fear/terror and other stuff). An undead unit would never flee if beaten during a round, but suffered additional wounds depending on how badly the combat went. So a big unit of skeletons would generally start falling to pieces as the losses mounted, but they did pin the opposing unit in place until they were completely destroyed.
    The .Org's MTW Reference Guide Wiki - now taking comments, corrections, suggestions, and submissions

If I werent playing games Id be killing small animals at a higher rate than I am now - SFTS
    Si je n'étais pas jouer à des jeux que je serais mort de petits animaux à un taux plus élevé que je suis maintenant - Louis VI The Fat

"Why do you hate the extremely limited Spartan version of freedom?" - Lemur

Ok, so similar to morale but instead of breaking the units will suffer quicker and more casualties? Sounds ok tbh. The other thing im worried about is the composition of armies as it would seems silly and quite boring to face say 6 dragons in an army and thats all so lets hope there are selection controls so a minimum amount of foot units must be purchased before you can buy monsters and wizards and the like.

Im pretty confident CA will restrict these elite units anyway.
    Last edited by Swoosh So; 02-27-2013 at 21:38.

"The mind is everything. What you think you become."

"The whole secret of existence is to have no fear. Never fear what will become of you, depend on no one. Only the moment you reject all help are you freed."

Buddha

My fervent hope is that they keep the current Total War setup intact, and figure out a way to include the extras to make them interesting tactical options rather than game-dominating necessities.

Additionally, they damn well better include the Bretonnians. Sick of them being ignored.

Member thankful for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Swoosh So View Post
    Is it true Undead armies have no morale? how will CA handle that surely they will have to die really quick? would be a disaster to have a whole army with no morale!
    Undead is a broad term that covers units in 2 whole armies in Warhammer. Vampire Counts and Tomb Kings. But yes mindless undead creatures (which are used by both armies as core troops) have no morale and are easily killed.
    If you havin' skyrim problems I feel bad for you son.. I dodged 99 arrows but my knee took one.

VENI, VIDI, NATES CALCE CONCIDI

I came, I saw, I kicked ass

Assassins Guild Member The Outsider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Nelson View Post
    I agree. I think it will be more of what they do best. Turn based strategy and real time combat. This style has served us well so if it ain't broke it doesn't need fixing.
    I hope that you guys are right. Total war system would perfectly fit the warhammer world, however, Im not sure if CA would incorporate warhammer into the Total War franchise, fantasy was never a part of the games but you never know, i think that the series would actually highly benefit from a different perspective.

I wonder how many units there will be in this game?

Kensai, war dogs and screaming Druids not exactly all legit non fantasy units. So whilst Skaven will be a jump, it is the magic system that would be hardest to incorporate... But even then most magic is just mobile cannons.
    Our genes maybe in the basement but it does not stop us chosing our point of view from the top.
    The rest is either as average as advertised or, in the case of the missionary, disappointing.

Many fast-paced(which the battle mode of TW certainly is) games contain magic effects of different kinds. I don't see how it would be impossible to implement for example Morrowind's magic system in a TW game. Just swap it from affecting one monster in Morrowind to one unit of troops in a TW game. Slow, paralyze, increase/decrease vulnerability, etc etc. We've already got effects like 'hidden' and inspiring auras, I don't see how a magic effect would be that different.

What I really hope they do, though, is that they make so we buy an empty army stack and then fill it up with troops according to limitations, instead of buying individual units and then combining them to make an army. Should be an easy fix to avoid all-cannon armies... Make it so you can buy different kinds of army stacks, like "recon army", "siege train", "battle army", etc, so you can get different kinds of armies, but still avoid the whacky stuff(like the warhound stacks from RTW)¨.
    Still maintain that crying on the pitch should warrant a 3 match ban

I got Call of Warhamer and Rise of the Witch King mod for M2TW.

If CA were to make TW:Warhammer their next game I would say it fits their style more though I fear they'll make combat way different compared to tabletop. (I only got 40k though...)
    Lets play Divide et Impera, Ptolemy Campaign. Link to full playlist down below!

https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PL...2oIDsmGrPrKpzM

Being an old tabletop player of WH40k (Iron Hands! The Flesh is weak!), I think that the fidelity to the tabletop wargame is the most important thing for the new game.
    ..... But also the fluff cannot be freely manipulated like History in the TW games, in fact actually Game Workshops has a very strict legal policy about fluff, copyrights and ownership of any single detail of the history of Warhammer and WH40k universes.

The last Space Marine games fluff wouldn't be considered conforming to canon to some.

A lot of games get hand waived through. Long love the squats ;)

Darn GW I liked the Squats a lot, DWARVES IN SPESS.

They don't have any replacements...

About WH Fantasy, Call of Warhammer is my favorite, pretty fun I hope CA uses the mod as an example.
    Lets play Divide et Impera, Ptolemy Campaign. Link to full playlist down below!

https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PL...2oIDsmGrPrKpzM

I remember Mythic did a WarHammer MMORPG that wasn't great but was ok apparently. They just posted their shutdown notice because they no longer have the license now that it's over here.

http://www.warhammeronline.com/artic...otice-Shutdown

I feel kind of bad for them losing a game but I don't think it did all that great. It ran for like 8 years though.

Don't know if anyone here's seen the RTW Warhammer mod, but as its team leader I feel it should get a quick mention too here :P
    http://www.exilian.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=2670

Wrt an official Warhammer TW, my biggest hope is that they do what we did with WHTW and really delve into the background - it shouldn't even be a question whether Brets, Dark Elves, etc get in, but what I'd really like to see are Araby, Kislev, the Tilean states, Estalia, and so on.

The main challenge I can forsee with the TW engine is that at present it doesn't always represent asymmetric warfare well; for example, province ownership is based on the cities, and the the Empire the cities are owned by... the Empire. The huge packs of orcs and beastmen in the forests, or the skaven underground armies, are far harder to represent, so there'd maybe need to be some on the move foraging system for them, or actually make strat map forts equivalent to cities for the "barbarian" factions. Getting some of the more interesting settings created would also be a challenge; representing the Dwarf Underway or the Skaven Under-Empire could be very tough, though SO SO worth it if done well.
    Mod leader of Warhammer; Total War

From my reading of WHFB wiki there are places in the old world where Ork's have settlements and such.
    If you havin' skyrim problems I feel bad for you son.. I dodged 99 arrows but my knee took one.

VENI, VIDI, NATES CALCE CONCIDI

I came, I saw, I kicked ass

Yeah, the Badlands, and some shanty towns in the depths of the forests. All of their significant forts are miles away from the Empire, Brettonia, or several other fairly common opponents of theirs.
    Mod leader of Warhammer; Total War

Quote Originally Posted by Jubal_Barca View Post
    The main challenge I can forsee with the TW engine is that at present it doesn't always represent asymmetric warfare well; for example, province ownership is based on the cities, and the the Empire the cities are owned by... the Empire. The huge packs of orcs and beastmen in the forests, or the skaven underground armies, are far harder to represent, so there'd maybe need to be some on the move foraging system for them, or actually make strat map forts equivalent to cities for the "barbarian" factions. Getting some of the more interesting settings created would also be a challenge; representing the Dwarf Underway or the Skaven Under-Empire could be very tough, though SO SO worth it if done well.
    It's not the asymmetric warfare, but the asymmetric occupation that causes issues with a Total War style game. I looked into a WHFB mod for the MTW engine but gave up when I realized that 1) I would never have the time to do it justice, and 2) I had no idea how to handle situations like the Empire taking over the Chaos Wastes or Khemri. Add the facts that "good" factions can't really ally with other good factions in the engine, and Warhammer being Warhammer genocide is the order of the day. Chaos was the easiest of my problems, and I had figured out how to represent the Undersea World and Skaven Under-Empire with the engine. But the underlying mechanic of conquering the map only works for the Chaos/Evil factions/races, humans occupying warp-cursed regions doesn't jibe with the fluff.
    The .Org's MTW Reference Guide Wiki - now taking comments, corrections, suggestions, and submissions

If I werent playing games Id be killing small animals at a higher rate than I am now - SFTS
    Si je n'étais pas jouer à des jeux que je serais mort de petits animaux à un taux plus élevé que je suis maintenant - Louis VI The Fat

Like MadKow mentioned, Shadow of the Horned Rat and Dark Omen are the perfect progenitors. Played both more than I can count... *reinstalls*
    "The state of human ethics can be summarized in two sentences: We ought to. But we don't." -Tucholsky

So is this really set in stone?

Please delete
    Last edited by sassbarman; 11-29-2013 at 05:30.

being an huge fan of dark omen i only ask ca to respect the incredible work that was made back in 98 and lets hope ca brings some strategy points particulary the creation of a strategic map where one can go around picking who we wanna work for and buy regiments make alliances with other generals against other mercenary generals all to try and get either a good marriage into nobility or be awarded some nobility title where we can build a castle and develop both your own family and family ties into an horrible backstabing political world

but keep the war engine and the batle style those where perfect nothing can be improved there only screwed up by stupid ideas that seem good when you have it but that normally more times then not are only crap

also adding in the original dark omen and it´s prequel in the future game would be nice c&c as done it with their old titles so no reason why you wouldn´t either make them available to increase the hype over a future launch

Now sporting a classic avatar! Member fallen851's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Papewaio View Post
    Kensai, war dogs and screaming Druids not exactly all legit non fantasy units. So whilst Skaven will be a jump, it is the magic system that would be hardest to incorporate... But even then most magic is just mobile cannons.
    Do you really think CA will slavishly follow Warhammer lore when they didn't slavishly follow real history?

I mean, I really hope they do... but it would certainly not make any sense if they did.

Warhammer is an awesome game, but I think this will be Total War with a Warhammer spin. I don't think we'll see the great depths of strategy and the tactics that a Warhammer game provides.
    Last edited by fallen851; 06-07-2014 at 01:09.
    "It's true that when it's looked at isolated, Rome II is a good game... but every time I sit down to play it, every battle, through every turn, I see how Rome I was better. Not unanimously, but ultimately." - Dr. Sane

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L6eaBtzqqFA#t=1h15m33s

Quote Originally Posted by fallen851 View Post
    Do you really think CA will slavishly follow Warhammer lore when they didn't slavishly follow real history?
    Yes.
    GDW in the past has been quite finicky about "their stuff". I suspect if it "ain't Canon, it ain't in".
    Ja-mata TosaInu

Any news on this?

Quote Originally Posted by Ja'chyra View Post
    Any news on this?
    Sorry for the thread necro - But it is still relevant.

There is an announcement by Creative Assembly in a few days - 25th of September in regards to a new total war game.

Here is hoping that it is war hammer fantasy or 40k.

Quote Originally Posted by HeadClot View Post
    Here is hoping that it is war hammer fantasy or 40k.
    It won't be 40K, CA only got the IP rights to the Warhammer FB universe.

It would be fun to replay the Siege of Praag, hopefully they get it right.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast