Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 41011121314

Thread: The Expedition [Concluded]

Default Re: The Expedition

Quote Originally Posted by BSmith View Post
    Yeah, somehow I got mixed up and thought that both EF and I didn’t attack and that someone else did. For some reason I thought it was Monty. Guess it was EF all along!
    I think that's what happened with Yoyoma, Monty got to him first so we just went for a stroll instead.

Maybe Ishmael meant that was the night he visited you rather than the night edse died? Or maybe I killed edse alone and your attack wasn't needed? A strange one...

If it was the former then we sure are lucky Ishmael didn't notice, or your alibi would have been proven totally false.

Oh... my... what a busy night... Congratulations mafia!

Thanks Visor for hosting!

returning to the shadows.....

Just like to thank everyone for signing up and making this a good game.

For those of you who are interested, here is a little analysis of the game.

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Now, I first had the idea for a game based on Skyrim in the last quarter of last year. I wanted to host another game, and I wanted it to be something different. Skyrim was an obvious choice, one that a few of you would enjoy the theme of at least, and there was plenty of variety in regards to characters and settings. So whilst I decided on the base idea (mafia in Skyrim), I then moved onto a core theme, what would be the premise/setting of the game, why would they be doing this and so on. Whilst attempting to think of an idea, I actually came up with the idea for Yoyoma's character (the Draugr) first. I was browsing the wiki, and I did some reading on them, and I thought to myself, wouldn't that be a cool role to play, an undead skeleton guy, who isn't actually evil. And so thus Yoyoma's role was born, with a quick bit of backstory which led me to set the game in a cave/underground area where Draugrs are found in the game.

Then I branched out and started to create the other characters. I have always wanted to see a thief type role in action, so I put one of those in (as fortune would have it, silvertongue himself got the role), and decided to make it neutral, not a third party. I didn't want to make it too hard on the neutral, who have a hard enough time anyway at the Org. Next was the Daedra (of course they had to be in the game). And I decided to make him evil of course. I considered having the legendary sword change VC's of the character, but I scrapped that idea. After that I created the Stormcloak, who was designed to take a lot of punishment (and did), but have his own goal of killing a Thalmor agent who had killed his father. (It makes more sense if you know in game lore by the way). After I made those two characters (altmer/stormcloak), I realised I should make the opposite and I put in an Imperial role, who was less of a tank, but had investigatory powers (had to scan multiple times to get any kind of half decent inno/guilty scan) and was actually a brother to the Stormcloak (they chose opposite sides in the war, if the Imperial scanned the Stormcloak, he would realise they were brothers and his PG would change). I gave the Stormcloak Elfbane to help his quest (also help to kill Arjos). Arjos's role came from the altmer, always need a dark elf. I gave him magic powers as well as the regular sword/shield, as I wanted some variety. I then proceeded to need a leader and a second in command, which were Jarema and Riedquat respectively. Both were vigilants, however I wanted one a real vigilant, and the other just a soldier for hire kind of guy (Jarema's role). I enjoyed Riedquat's roleplay as the Vigilant and was hoping for him to be attacked when he chose to defend himself as he specified using everything to defend himself, including his pillow, which I would've included.

After those roles, I went to the other races, edse the breton, Chaotix the Khajiit, Autolycus the Argonian, BSmith the Redguard, LazyMcCrow as the Vampire and Classical/Johnhughthom as the Werewolf. The vampire and werewolf roles were designed to sound guilty when they were quite pro town. Lazy had a roleblock ability which would work on most roles (not on the daedra, ishmael, and a few others IIRC) as well as a feed which would do a slight amount of damage (but not kill) and give a temporary buff to his defence and the werewolf was a very powerful town role possible of a base 28 damage (Stronger then the daedra) twice in the game, and could oneshot every role in the game with the legendary sword. Lazy also made a town vampire hunter role PM which I was impressed with.

The last two roles were Ishmael the veteran merc who was fairly powerful with his greatsword and Andres (Aragorn) who was able to forage for food, etc and was the only archer in the game. Both fairly powerful roles in their own right. Ishamel couldn't be backstabbed, and Andres/Arjos/edse did reduced damage to him. What was interesting in the game, was that I had installed a mechanism towards people who had been caught attacking getting votes against them, which seemed to deter them from attacking each other, even though considering the night actions, no-one got caught, and it was fairly rare I think for a person to get caught. No-one would be implicated by a writeup saying they were mafia for being caught, they would just have the two votes against them. I also think the defending mechanic was pretty good. It saved Chaotix's life and was a good risk/reward option I feel. I would love to hear any opinions you guys have on this.

The balance of the game I feel was town sided, there was some powerful town roles, and the fact that scum attacks weren't one hit kills, and there were bulletproofs, and a roleblocker, etc, I feel the mafia played an extremely good game to come up with a perfect victory. I would've changed the balance in game if it was going too much in the town way.

A final note on the writeups, I know they weren't good, but I found it hard to write things that weren't really bland in this game. I enjoyed Autolysis man and the final writeup though. I also enjoyed putting little easter eggs in it, such as Andres being Aragorn (Viggo Mortensen, the actor of Aragorn in LOTR, Autolysis man, Arjos being The Emperor in the final writeup and so on.)

In regards to the choose your own adventure system, I blatantly stole that off of Chaotix and I consider that to be a great mechanic though I did it rather poorly. I was also rather lax with my hosting which I will apologise for, though most of you seemed to enjoy the game, which I take great pleasure in. I do enjoy hosting games, and as long as there is interest, I don't mind continuing to host them.

All in all I consider this game to have turned out quite well, and I am glad that you guys had fun.

If you manage to read this wall of text, thank you. Any opinions or thoughts or criticism on the game, my hosting or anything are appreciated.

In regards to this particular game, I may/may not host a sequel at some later stage, depends on interest and a manner of other things.

I plan on hosting a space based mini game and another small game (similar to my other small game AHOV) later this year, both vanilla, before I attempt another complicated game (this being my most complex by far.)
    Last edited by Visor; 01-17-2013 at 05:28.

Know the dark side Member Askthepizzaguy's Avatar

Managed to read your wall of text in about 2 minutes.

I had it in mind that I'd play this game as neutral as I could. I've gone really pro-town in most instances and it has tended to result in my being destroyed.

I figured the mafia would oppose me out of fear at some point, but given my own natural toughness and the mushroom, I figured I'd have a decent shot.

Fortunately for me, the bigger danger which was the town was rather divided and lacked strong leadership. I'm confident I wouldn't have survived a concerted effort to lynch me. And the mafia would have been only too happy to oblige.

I'm grateful the mafia won when they did. Obviously attacking them wouldn't have helped me in the slightest.

Playing the neutral role, you've got to at least pretend to be pro-town. They are bigger than the mafia and can usually kill you at will. The mafia can, but often have other more pressing targets. And sometimes they will remember that you're neutral, so you don't have to oppose them at all.

SOME of the mafia seem to have forgotten that, or were all too impressed by my threatening them. Come now, if I wasn't attacking anyone or voting for a lynch, that should tell you where my real priorities are: Hoping the game ends quickly and with me still alive in it.

You have to put on the pretense of hunting scum. Apparently I put on a decent performance to get both town and scum to believe I had any interest in hurting the mafia.
    #Winstontoostrong
    #Montytoostronger

Ice stink there for a ham. Member Mystery Science Torture 3000 Champion, Mini Putt 3 Champion, Super Hacky Sack Champion, Pencak Champion, Sperm Wars Champion, Monkey Diving Champion Yoyoma1910's Avatar
    Yarr me matey. I be livin on the high seas.

I was kind of hoping to get back to my body before I died, to see what would happen...

But someone just wouldn't let me be, now would they.

My kingdom for a .

In my experience, anyone acting so shiftily convivial is not doing so out of an immanent disposition, if you know what I mean.

You were quite obviously something, and odds were that something was not a town role.
    Vitiate Man.

History repeats the old conceits
    The glib replies, the same defeats

Dark Lord of Sith Member Big Bird Hunting Champion, Squid Hunter Champion, Simpsons Shooter Champion, Fun Surfing Champion Darth Feather's Avatar

Well done mafia ; A little question: was I vig-killed or maifa killed?

EDIT: it seems I was vig-killed. Wonder by whom
    Last edited by Darth Feather; 01-17-2013 at 18:42.
    Nathaniël of the mouse guard

"Death is lighter than a feather, duty is heavier than a mountain" - Robert Jordan

The writer of above message is not responsible for any mistakes in the reasoning of said message.

Ice stink there for a ham. Member Mystery Science Torture 3000 Champion, Mini Putt 3 Champion, Super Hacky Sack Champion, Pencak Champion, Sperm Wars Champion, Monkey Diving Champion Yoyoma1910's Avatar
    Yarr me matey. I be livin on the high seas.

Quote Originally Posted by Montmorency View Post
    In my experience, anyone acting so shiftily convivial is not doing so out of an immanent disposition, if you know what I mean.

You were quite obviously something, and odds were that something was not a town role.
    Nope. Just me doin my thang.

My kingdom for a .

Senior Member Senior Member Jarema's Avatar

Aaargh

I am so sad I died so early

it seems it was good game

Quote Originally Posted by Yoyoma1910 View Post
    Nope. Just me doin my thang.
    fwiw: I thought your role was by far the most challenging. The only genuine regret I felt as town was when we lynched you

Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 41011121314