Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: LA BELLE EPOQUE (a sequel to the CONCERT OF EUROPE)

Grand Patron's Banner Bearer Senior Member Peasant Phill's Avatar
    Somewhere relatively safe, behind some one else, preferably at the back
    Blog Entries

Default Re: LA BELLE EPOQUE (a sequel to the CONCERT OF EUROPE)

Your Eminences,

You may have known my father, Mohamed Ali, as a great statesman. A man who led Egypt to its stature that it is now.
    Some may also have known defeat at the hands of my armies. As I step into my father’s shoes as statesman, I aspire to continue the progress towards the great Egyptian nation my father had envisioned.

However, in order to do so, I may have to undo some works and deals of the great Mohamed Ali. My father was ill these last few months. It is entirely possible that some negotiators have taken advantage of the fragile mental state that had befallen the great Mohamed Ali. As such I don’t feel bound by promises made these last months.
    I am, if nothing else, both realistic and accommodating. Everyone can reestablish talks and present their case to me. I’ll reconfirm past agreements if I deign them fair at the time they were made.

Furthermore, I like to stress that Egypt can be considered a separate entity from the Ottoman Empire. I do not deny the close bond history, religion and demography has posed on us. I intend to continue to act with this special bond in mind. I will NOT, however, let it endanger or curtail the progress to a greater Egyptian Nation.

On another note, I welcome the new peace. War has always been a high risk low pay-off affair. The Concert of Europe has, so far, been successful at keeping European soil free of the ravages of war.But let us not be ignorant to the fact that war itself has continued. Only the battlefield has shifted elsewere. The fight for influence, resources and land has continued outside of Europe relentlessly. My country is one of those places war had shifted to. As if directing your hunger and rivalries elsewhere is a solution for the powder keg that Europe still is. I assure you, only withholding from trying to trump one another will ensure lasting peace and prosperity.

With highest regards,
    Ibrahim Ali
    Khedive of Egypt
    Protector of Crete and Cyprus
    Quote Originally Posted by Drone
    Someone has to watch over the wheat.
    Quote Originally Posted by TinCow
    We've made our walls sufficiently thick that we don't even hear the wet thuds of them bashing their brains against the outer wall and falling as lifeless corpses into our bottomless moat.

Blog Entries

If it helps I found this trawling through my pms, it might help explain why the french strike happened:
    Quote Originally Posted by SoFarSoGood

Quote Originally Posted by Greyblades
    Quote Originally Posted by SoFarSoGood
    Fran seems to like 'all the detail' (probably changed his mind now as his economy isn't doing too well)
    What do you mean by that presicely?
    Well it's not hard to work out... He allowed the 'right to strike' for starters, then 'closed' the main ports in the south and took all the shipping so trade drops and alot of people can't make a living. He then raises new taxes on luxury goods (which he exports more of than imports) and on cheap goods from non French colonies... Strike they will!
    Quote Originally Posted by Franconicus View Post
    Another open issue is the relationship between Egypt and China. Where do we start from. Before or after the first opium war? Maybe Greybaldes and the Stranger can discuss this.
    Considering the historical opium war was started before my run on the game first began and I let it end historically without my input, I say after.
    Last edited by Greyblades; 12-20-2012 at 16:01.
    Being better than the worst does not inherently make you good. But being better than the rest lets you brag.

Quote Originally Posted by Strike For The South View Post
    Don't be scared that you don't freak out. Be scared when you don't care about freaking out
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

One of the Undutchables Member The Stranger's Avatar

i think we need a second war to settle this

:P

nah im fine with after (i would steamroll everyone otherwise and it wouldnt be a fun game ;))

We do not sow.

Humanist Senior Member Franconicus's Avatar

That strike thing wasn't a great deal. And he got me wrong with the tax on luxuries (not a customn fee!), so I dropped it.

Alright, gentlemen, I think the diplomatic phase is going well. I still need some answers from some players and I hope that France will finish the reading of all relevant documents soon.
    So let's go to the next phase, orders for the next year. Is it o.k. to set the deadline to Januar 1st?

Your orders for the next year may include:

Title (English orders for 1847)

1) Budget: spendings for military, research, infrastructure etc as well as introduction of new taxes; some of them may be uncertain, so just guess
    2) Policy: new laws, reforms etc.
    3) investments: in railroads, chanels, etc.
    4) research: like "10 million for the research of a long distance rocket able to cary 1 t of black powder from Belfast to New York)
    5) army: new recruitments (keep in mind that it takes time!), organisation and deployment, orders and campaign (again it takes time for orders to travel and for armies o move, do not forget logistics)
    6) navy: basiclly the same
    7) the rest; spies, diplomacy etc.

The income I gave you is the income of last year (!), this can be changed by changes in taxation or in economy.

You would do me a favour if you keep to the order above.

So enjoy the holidays!

new recruitments > does that mean i will constantly have to recruit soldiers to keep my army at a certain strength? or if i say i want my army to be 100k then it will just be maintained at that strength and recruitment means more i want 100k more than i want to replace the 1k who died of flue on the march?

We do not sow.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by The Stranger View Post
    new recruitments > does that mean i will constantly have to recruit soldiers to keep my army at a certain strength? or if i say i want my army to be 100k then it will just be maintained at that strength and recruitment means more i want 100k more than i want to replace the 1k who died of flue on the march?
    I think we should minimize the micromanagement. Reinforcement and resupply during peace time seems like something the lower members of government should be able to handle without our direct input.
    Being better than the worst does not inherently make you good. But being better than the rest lets you brag.

Don't be scared that you don't freak out. Be scared when you don't care about freaking out

GB is right. Recruitment means more that you have to tell if you want to enlarge (or reduce) your army. A different thing is if you loose big parts of your army in battle, so that you have to set up new divisions or corps.

ok, i prefer that too :P

We do not sow.

Annoyingly awesome Member Booger Flick Champion, Run Sam Run Champion, Speed Cards Champion rickinator9's Avatar

Title (English orders for 1847)

1) Budget: spendings for military, research, infrastructure etc as well as introduction of new taxes; some of them may be uncertain, so just guess
    2) Policy: new laws, reforms etc.
    3) investments: in railroads, chanels, etc.
    4) research: like "10 million for the research of a long distance rocket able to cary 1 t of black powder from Belfast to New York)
    5) army: new recruitments (keep in mind that it takes time!), organisation and deployment, orders and campaign (again it takes time for orders to travel and for armies o move, do not forget logistics)
    6) navy: basiclly the same
    7) the rest; spies, diplomacy etc.
    So is this for everyone or just for England?
    rickinator9 is either a cleverly "hidden in plain sight by jumping on the random bandwagon" scum or the ever-increasing in popularity "What the is going on?" townie. Either way I want to lynch him. - White Eyes

‘Abdü’l-Mecīd-i evvel Member Kival's Avatar

You should of course use your countries name instead of england.

‘Abdü’l-Mecīd-i evvel

if anyone cannot or doesnt want to send diplomats to China, please send me a message so we can work something out.

We do not sow.

COYATOYPIKC Senior Member Flatout Minigame Champion Arjos's Avatar
    Prisoners upon this rock, flying without wings...

Russia welcomes the new Khedive of Egypt, hoping for him and the Sultan, to be able to define their relation.

But His Imperial Majesty, Czar Nikolai, wished to inform His Highness, Ibrahim Pasha, that Crete doesn't require his protection. Since by the Second Treaty of Edirne, it was granted to the Greek Kingdom of His Majesty, Basileus Othon.
    We'd like for Egypt, and any other country, to respect the demilitarized waters, north of the island.

State Chancellor,
    Aleksandr Gorchakov

Blog Entries

Can we get a confirmation on this peace treaty please, I cant make any proper plans with such a point of divergance still unresolved.

‘Abdü’l-Mecīd-i evvel Member Kival's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Greyblades View Post
    Can we get a confirmation on this peace treaty please, I cant make any proper plans with such a point of divergance still unresolved.
    Confirmation by who?

‘Abdü’l-Mecīd-i evvel

It would seem the British are in De Nial :D

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Kival View Post
    Confirmation by who?
    France, or whoever we are waiting for before saying "war over!"
    Quote Originally Posted by Arjos View Post
    It would seem the British are in De Nial :D
    ..."Nested Interactive Array Language"?
    You mean De-Nile?
    Last edited by Greyblades; 12-23-2012 at 17:41.

The Emperor of China wishes everyone a "Melly Chlistmass".

We do not sow.

Blog Entries

Blarg.

Britain, spreader of the christmas traditions wishes you all a merry christmas, 'Blarp' and has got the post feast pains.

Oh god. My stomach's beating up my kidneys for being scabs, I shouldnt have made strikes actions legal. ow.
    Last edited by Greyblades; 12-26-2012 at 07:12.

The situation is plain to see: Ottoman made peace with Russia, Austria and Prussia. Greece agrees. Egypt welcomes this treaty, whatever this means. France says nothing at all.

By the way, I received already order from to players , one sent me already an extension

when is the deadline?

We do not sow.

Quote Originally Posted by The Stranger View Post
    when is the deadline?
    So let's go to the next phase, orders for the next year. Is it o.k. to set the deadline to Januar 1st?

Blog Entries

Dont expect mine to be early, christmas has been kinda crazy, and I've still got new years!

Annoyingly awesome Member Booger Flick Champion, Run Sam Run Champion, Speed Cards Champion rickinator9's Avatar

Basileus Othon is now recruiting a bodyguard from all orphans. They will need to endure a certain Agoge before they can join though.
    rickinator9 is either a cleverly "hidden in plain sight by jumping on the random bandwagon" scum or the ever-increasing in popularity "What the is going on?" townie. Either way I want to lynch him. - White Eyes

Blog Entries

The situation is plain to see: Ottoman made peace with Russia, Austria and Prussia. Greece agrees. Egypt welcomes this treaty, whatever this means. France says nothing at all.
    OK then,

Dear... whatever the leaders of france are calling themselves these days.

When Britain acquired the suez it was at the cost of 45 million Talers, it was also at the cost of becoming allies with Egypt once the "ottoman and christian alliance" war ended, it has now concluded and you are currently ravaging our ally. Declare peace with egypt and withdraw your troops immediately, failure will result in Britain ending your little crusade, sinking every french ship afloat and consigning your campaigning troops to a slow death of attrition a long way away from home.

Regards
    Prime Minister of the United Kingdom
    Robert Peel.

PS: Send the Pope our regards.

________

As for the rest of you, I have been putting up with your war long enough and have lost enough money that I am starting to think it would be cheaper in the long run to sink every ship in the Med than risk leaving you the capacity to start another, once this ceasefire is in effect any warships found firing so much as a funny look in the mediterannian will be sunk and the government billed for the munitions used to do it.
    Last edited by Greyblades; 12-28-2012 at 02:04.

As for the rest of you, I have been putting up with your war long enough and have lost enough money that I am starting to think it would be cheaper in the long run to sink every ship in the Med than risk leaving you the capacity to start another, once this ceasefire is in effect any warships found firing so much as a funny look in the mediterannian will be sunk and the government billed for the munitions used to do it.
    I think this 'Robert Peel' should be less arrogant and more polite in further messages. If I see a letter with such a funny message again, it will be promptly torn apart and the government billed for the effort used to do it.

~Basileus Othon

Blog Entries

Dear Othon

It is only arrogance when your talk is disproportionate to your power, and try to remember who ensured you got that nice new land, it most assuredly wasn't gained through Austrian or Russian generosity.

...And I apologise if there was something in the message that insulted you, but getting the message across clearly is more important than bruised feelings.

Regards.
    Robert Peel.
    Last edited by Greyblades; 12-28-2012 at 03:56.

ROTFL LMAO. We no Ships in Med XD

We do not sow.

imo the deadline of 1 jan is too soon :S can we do friday 4 jan?

We do not sow.

Because of the long and slow line of communication between the Forbidden Town and the Centre of the World deadline shall be Friday 4th.

Hurry, friends. It looks as if the world is running into misery. Don't miss it!

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast