• Cyprus 1974 - Operation Attila

0 0%
  • South American Conflict series - 4 scenarios

0 0%
  • Vietnam Combat Operations series - 15 scenarios

0 0%
  • Weserebung 1940

0 0%
  • Holland - A Bridge Too Far 1944 *or* Nijmegen 1944 *or* Arnhem *or* Koblenz '44

0 0%
  • Operation Ortsac 1962

0 0%
  • On To Philadelphia 1914

1 33.33%
  • Fall Grau *or* 1945 - What if

0 0%
  • Israel's Next War 2006

0 0%
  • Operation Cartwheel 1943-44

0 0%
  • Demyansk

0 0%
  • Fourth Strategic Attack

0 0%
  • Konrad

0 0%
  • Operation Varsity 1945

0 0%
  • Crete - Operation Merkur 1941

0 0%
  • Anzio 1944

1 33.33%
  • Gah!

0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll.

Thread: The Next TOAW DAR/AAR

Default The Next TOAW DAR/AAR

My hubris knows few bounds.

My next report will stick to what I know best: The Operational Art of War III. If any of you need a refresher on this game, see:

*My old short-lived Gotterdammerung DAR (I have notes, though not images, up to the point where my opponent and I concluded hostilities - should anyone like to have them for whatever reason)
    *This video AAR by pewpewchewchew
    *Chapter 3 of this Monograph

In fact, the core mechanics should not here usually end up being a concern of you, my dear reader. I intend to make this report far more operational than my previous ones.
    There will be more emphasis on own-force & OPFOR formations and maneuver rather than individual battles and combat results. This likely entails more pretty images with arrows.

These 30 are scenarios or series or themes which I would like to play. Please select the three which you would most like to see reported on. Readers' Choice!

This is indeed an attempt to <redacted>. I have no shame.

The scope(s) of each option are listed alongside. Let your confidence in me be a factor in your selections.

I plan to select randomly from the three most popular options in two weeks' time, regardless of vote volume. In options describing multiple scenarios, I am endowed with ultimate discretion.

The report should commence by the beginning of February. The arrangements take a bit of time.

The frequency of transmission will depend upon the size of the chosen scenario, but the updates shall assuredly arrive weekly at the least.

OPTIONS

1. (WW2 Entire East Front) (Huge *or* Large)
    2. (Battle of the Bulge/Wacht am Rhein) (Large)
    3. (WW2 Soviet Invasion of Prussia - Battle of Kolberg) (Small)
    4. (3rd Battle of Kharkov) (Medium)
    5. (Soviet Offensive on AGN) (Huge)
    6. (American Revolutionary War) (Large)
    7. (Operation Barbarossa) (Small to Large)
    8. (Fall Weiss/Invasion of Poland) (Medium)
    9. (WW1) (Huge)
    10. (WW2 in North Africa) (Large/Huge)
    11. (Operation Torch) (Large)
    12. (Battle for Tunisia) (Small)
    13. (Hypothetical Contemporary Greco-Turkish War) (Medium)
    14. (Turkish Invasion of Cyprus) (Small)
    15. (Hypothetical Contemporary South American War) (Large/Huge)
    16. (Vietnam War) (Huge)
    17. (Operation Weserebung) (large)
    18. (Operation Market Garden) (Small to Large)
    19. (Hypothetical Cuban Invasion) (Large)
    20. (Turtledovian Alt-History WW1 Between USA & CSA) (Huge)
    21. (Hypothetical Axis Invasion of North America) (Large/Huge)
    22. (Hypothetical Mid-East War) (Huge)
    23. (South Pacific) (Huge)
    24. (Reduction of Demyansk Cauldron 1942) (Small)
    25. (Final Battle Against Finland) (Small/Medium)
    26. (Germans Relieve Budapest) (Small)
    27. (Crossing the Rhine) (Small)
    28. (German Landings in Crete) (Huge)
    29. (Anzio Beach Landings) (Medium)
    30. Essentially leaving it up to me

Last edited by Montmorency; 01-03-2013 at 23:33.
    Vitiate Man.

History repeats the old conceits
    The glib replies, the same defeats

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Default Re: The Next TOAW DAR/AAR

Here's a snapshot of what an AAR underway might look like, to exemplify the modified style:

BALTIC FRONT

PLANNING

As corps advance along their paths, they will attempt to penetrate as far as possible into the enemy territory, while managing to surround as many enemy forces as possible.

Further from the vanguard, enemy emplacements that can not be taken this demi-week will be surrounded by rear-echelon elements, particularly security divisions, and reduced or forced to surrender at a later date.

Enemies by their presence prohibiting a speedy advance around the border area shall be blitzed by limited details from our neighboring divisions and hemmed into out-of-the-way areas, preferably off the main roads.

26th Korps shall advance into Lithuania, taking Pelsiai and Kretinga. The RD south of Kretinga will be enveloped by follow-on forces. The enemy RD at Liepaja on the coast must be cut off.

1st Korps will advance into Lithuania towards Siauliai, the site of a major enemy concentration. Kelme, along the road to it, must be surrounded and the Mtr Div garrisoned within either contained or destroyed.

41st PzKorps must advance along the Skaudville-Siauliai road, taking both cities if possible.

56th PzKorps must charge through into Eastern Lithuania along both sides of the Neiman River, taking Raseiniai, Kedainiai, Jonava, and then Ukmerge. Kaunas is a critical river crossing and must be taken with main force, possibly with aid from the two infantry korps following in the catalogue.

10th & 28th Korps must advance towards Kaunas and take it with the aid of the aforementioned PzKorps. Moving past it following its capture would be preferred. Kazla Ruda along the road there will be captured.

23rd & 2nd Korps will bla bla Kalfarija bla bla Alytus bla bla the river crossing south of Kaunas...

38th Korps in the rear will encircle and treat appropriately with all enemy units north of the Neiman River within the asserted occupied zone for this demi-week.

EXECUTION

Barbarossa is tough stuff, and I have no prior experience.

While 26th Korps makes good progress in Western Lithuania, even crossing the border into Latvia, elsewhere progress is rather slow.

Only one PzGr regiment is anywhere close to Siauliai, most of eastern Lithuania remains in enemy hands, and the unsupported dash to Kaunas was a costly defeat, after the well-prepared defenders (the city had been thought unoccupied) were relieved by a strong armored force. Historically, Kaunas should have been captured at the end of this demi-week and Siauliai in the middle of the following one.

Bla bla bla...
    Come on then, give it a vote.
    Vitiate Man.

My wild optimism is all part of the plan, you'll find.

To tide us over, here's a shot from another ongoing game - the Yugoslavian army giving the Nazis a spanking around Belgrade, c. Late April '41:

This embarrassment may just lead Hitler to call off Barbarossa. I hope not, as it would mean less game for me.
    Vitiate Man.

Just the two, then? Going by view counts, I anticipated at least 10! Very well...

Anzio 1944 has been rolled out of the 6-way tie. I will begin in a week or two.

A setup post will be promulgated within a day or two.

The "runner-up" roll () is Option 1, of which Directive 21 has been selected because it is a solo scenario designed to be played against the Computer.
    It will serve as part of a series of frequent 'Extras'.

Stand by while I make the arrangements. I intend to put together a quality AAR for posterity, regardless of other considerations!
    Vitiate Man.

OPERATION SHINGLE: FROM ANZIO TO ROME

BRIEFING

Date: January - February 1944
    Map scale: 1km per hex
    Time scale: 6 hour turns
    Unit scale: Company
    Length: 40 - 120 turns

HISTORICAL BACKGROUND

"I had hoped that we are hurling a wild cat on the shore, but all we got was a stranded whale"
    (W. Churchill)

At the end of January 1944 US VI Corps executed an amphibious assault behind German lines at the city of Anzio, just 50 km south of Rome, in an attempt to break the stalemate at the Gustav Line. To achieve this VI Corps was to advance onto the Alban Hills, a key feature dominating the southeastern approaches to the eternal city, thus cutting off German 10th Army's lines of communication and forcing a retreat from the Gustav line. Despite total tactical surprise a combination of over-cautiousness, hesitation and willingly ambiguous orders failed to exploit the situation. The Germans reacted swiftly and brought in substantial forces to not only contain the beachhead, but also to release a determined counterattack. After the climax of the battles by mid February the beachhead front line came to a stalemate with neither side having achieved its operational objectives.
    The scenario covers the initial landings and the opening phase of "Shingle" (the codename for the operation) until mid-February with the possibility of an earlier end. It also incooperates some small what-ifs.
    This scenario is as close to tactical as the TOAW engine can reasonably approach. As such, there will be plenty of tactical details included in writeups, though tempered by the new doctrine in a visible manner.

METT-T

Mission

The historical mission is to break the stalemate at the Gustav Line further south by cutting German lines of supply and Communication, thus forcing a general retreat from the FLET (Forward Line of Enemy Troops). This can be accomplished by taking sufficient strategic terrain in the enemy's rear, though the destruction of OPFOR combat elements is of course a vital part of the process and a goal in its own right.

This image describes the concentration of valued terrain within the AO (Area of Operations). As you can see, out of the 1000 "Victory Points" available, 50% or so are located within the historical Allied beachhead. Thus, I can achieve a historical draw by maintaining a historical stalemate roughly around the historical occupied area.

The highest concentrations of victory points:
    *Beaches - 190 VP
    *Alban Hills - 130 VP
    *Aprilia/Carocetto - 85 VP
    *Mussolini Canal - 83 VP
    *Rome - 80 VP
    *Anzio - 70 VP
    *Cisterna di Latina - 35 VP
    *Nettuno - 30 VP
    *And myriad smaller ones...

Given this, my operational COA (Course of Action) is to, create a beachhead, quickly secure the crossings over the Mussolini Canal, particularly with airborne units (red), and to launch an offensive across it once the enemy arrives in force (green).
    The object is to convince the enemy that I intend to focus my forces on the eastern half of the map, while building up a strike force west of the canal (blue) with which to envelop the enemy all along the canal while dispatching a contingent to secure Rome.

Note that this plan is full of holes and is surely unworkable. Enemy intelligence and deductive logic would certainly reveal it before it could be sprung, resulting in a historical impasse at best and a drive to the beaches at worst.
    Perhaps I'll be able to deploy a heavily modified variant. Generally, however, I'd like to keep some sort of enveloping swing around the Mussolini Canal with a simultaneous march on Rome, or at least the Alban Hills in the center of the map.

I need to be quick and decisive to secure as much favorable terrain as possible in the first few days, while not overextending myself to the point where his reinforcements can pick apart my columns piecemeal.

Enemy

The 14. Armee is a mixed bag, containing many elite units, many veterans, but also many green units newly raised or composed of low-quality troops. All told, it has a slight edge on the Allies in terms of experience, training, and skill.

Unit Icons

OOB

Other

Terrain

It is recommended to view this image in its original size.

The AO is something not much more than 2300 sq. km. of ground.

Within 20 km of the shore, the terrain is mostly marshy and cut by many rivers. The major waterway in the area is the Mussolini Canal. East of it are further marshes: the Pontine Marshes.
    Note that defenders in marshy terrain get a 2x bonus to their AT capability.

A couple of miles north of Anzio is a wooded area, the Bosco di Padiglione.

In the center of the map is the thickly wooded Alban Hills region.

There are several mountains along the eastern edge of the AO.

On the west edge of the map, S or SW of Rome, is:
    Players may note the number of minor escarpments and badland terrain on the western part of the
    map, north of the Moletta creek. The low coastal plain in this area was cut by a series of rough stream
    gullies. These gullies, though their small streams were easily fordable, were often fifty feet deep and
    offered difficult obstacles to armor. Note that only foot movement units are able to move through
    badland terrain and that units within a badland hex can’t resupply though they are nominally in a
    supplied state.
    Beyond the coastal region, the western "gullies", the urban Rome in the NW corner, the Alban Hills, and the eastern mountains, is a heartland of flat cultivated land, mottled by the occasional town. The road network here is better than on the coast.

The Via Appia is a highway that runs from Rome to Anzio and the southeast map-edge. It cuts across the SW Alban Hills. This is the road to follow in the event of a march on Rome.
    In the northern part of the map, there is another highway (No. 6) but it will never be accessed by Allied troops except in the event of a total victory.

The German rail lines typically follow the two named highways.

Troops

The VI Corps is well-enough trained, and most of its men have seen combat before. There are, however, issues with cooperation between British and American elements.

Unit Icons

OOB

3.2.3 Allied Supply Dynamics

Supply Radius and Supply Stockpile
    Allied supply radius and supply stockpile are initially low to reflect the circumstances of an
    amphibious landing, but as this particular landing faced no initial opposition and plans could have
    been carried out almost under maneuver conditions the supply radius and stockpiled supply will
    increase rapidly:

Turn 1: Supply Stockpile: 8 Supply Radius: 4
    Turn 2: Supply Stockpile: 18 Supply Radius: 6
    Turn 3: Supply Stockpile: 28 Supply Radius: 8

The supply radius will increase to 10 if the Allies are in control of Aprilia, Osteriaccia, Cisterna and
    four other small villages in the Alban Hills and/or the Lepini mountains. Or technically spoken: If the
    EEV rises to 64, Allied supply radius will climb to 10. Historically resupply was difficult for the Allies,
    especially in clear visibility and absence of smoke screens (of which was made excessive use) due to
    German artillery observation positions in the higher terrain of the Alban Hills and the Lepini
    Mountains. A drop of the EEV below 64 will set the radius back to 8 again. The events are repeatable;
    this means the supply radius will switch back and forth depending on the EEV value.

Beach Supply
    Beach supply is modeled with sea supply roads and ferry
    bridging units. There is one supply point per beach
    (Peter Beach, Anzio (X-Ray yellow) and X-Ray
    red/green) which is placed in a deep water location. A
    road on an arid terrain hex connects the supply point
    with the actual beaches/harbor. The arid terrain graphics
    have been altered to resemble the look of deep water
    hexes. On this road the hex connecting the supply point
    with the beach contains a destroyed bridge over a major
    canal. VI Corps supply units are positioned in these
    hexes. Their major ferry capability will allow them to
    trace supply over to the beaches and with the supply unit
    adjacent, friendly units get a 50% supply boost. Note that Peter Beach supply will be removed on turn
    10 (see → 3.1.2 Weather Influence on Supplies and Air Activity). These supply units have assigned a
    slightly different amount of equipment to model the different size of the respective pontoon
    installations and the harbor. As the amount of supply actually traced over to land is relative to the
    major ferry percentage value of the tracing unit, this set-up allows the Germans to try to hamper Allied
    supply unloadings by artillery shelling and air raids as they did historically, although with little or
    negligible effect. The equipment of the supply units has a high replacement rate to ensure that any
    losses can be replaced fast and supply reductions are only a short time temporary nuisance. If such a
    supply unit is destroyed, a replacement unit will appear one turn after the respective beach's supply
    unit is destroyed.

Anzio is a 110% level supply source, X-Ray red/green is a 90% level supply source while Peter beach is
    a 50% level supply source.

3.2.4 Allied Withdrawals
    No.9 Commando and 42 RM Commando will be withdrawn on turn 11. There will be a warning in the
    news string to remember the Allied player of their withdrawal.
    Time

In this scenario, the turns are 6 hours each. This highly tactical timeframe means that, despite the small hex-scale, units can not move very much in a single turn.
    This is practically speaking. In fact, on one of the highways (if controlled by friendly forces) it is possible for a motorized or armored unit to cover in excess of 30 km in 6 hours.
    What this means is that the Germans have much operational depth to deploy their reserves quickly and wherever they deem necessary, while any Allied advance will have a lower circumscribed rate, and in the early days movement around the beachhead will be difficult - until sufficient friendly control is attained over the area of the beachhead.

The turn-length being as it is, half the time will be spent in night turns. Night combat is a chancy thing, so I'd better keep in mind the penalties and concentrate my offensive maneuvers in the days.

In total, there are 40-120 turns, or 10 days to a month. The variability is accounted for below.

3.1.3 Early End (or accepting the stalemate)
    I didn’t want to force the players to play the entire 120 turns of the scenario, especially to prevent them
    from resembling WW I style trench warfare. To give a more official touch to a possible player
    agreement, players can agree upon an earlier end of the scenario after turn 40 by selecting the theater
    option “End game with current victory levels”. If one of the players chooses this option the other
    player will receive a theater option to accept his opponent’s offer on the following turn. If he accepts
    this offer the game will end with the normal victory tally the next turn.
    3.1.1 Victory Conditions

General Thoughts and Sudden Death
    What constitutes an Allied or a German victory? Looking at history, an Allied victory regarding
    operational plans would be ‘establishing and securing a beachhead and advancing onto the Alban
    Hills’. The Allied player can get an overwhelming victory in achieving this and holding the gained
    ground until the end of the scenario. An instant victory can be achieved if the Allies reach their main
    goal – the withdrawal of German 10th Army from the Gustav Line. This is handled in detail by the
    EEV (Event Editor Variable) and can lead to a “Sudden Death” victory for the Allies.
    The German aim was, as Hitler clearly stated, to ‘erase the abscess’. A German victory can be achieved
    by pushing beyond the front lines of February 19th, the last day of Fischfang. If the Germans capture
    Anzio the game will end with a German instant victory
    Any outcome along the historical front lines between February 3rd, the beginning for the battle of the
    thumb, and February 19th, the day Fischfang was canceled, is regarded as a draw.

Rome
    The Allied player can take Rome, but it will not produce an instant Allied victory and except for the
    release of German reserves, which will be released before the Allies reach the outskirts of the city, it
    won’t influence German actions at all - Rome was not the objective, pushing to Rome means exposing
    Allied flanks in open terrain. Advancing to Valmontone and or the Alban Hills on the other hand sees
    VI Corps' flanks in formidable defensive terrain (Moletta Creek, Alban Hills, Monti Lepini, Mussolini
    Canal). As General Penney, commander of British 1st Infantry Division stated: “We could have had
    one night in Rome and one and a half years in POW camps.”

The EEV
    The occupation of certain locations will increase the EEV value. On reaching certain values‚ a
    simulated dice-roll determines whether the German 10th Army retreats from the Gustav Line due to
    the danger of their lines of communication getting cut-off. Failing such a check leads to 10th Army's
    withdrawal and results in an Allied Sudden Death victory.

EEV Values and Victory Chances
    German re-occupations of EEV locations will lower the variable value
    accordingly. The trigger locations can change hands multiple (in fact:
    infinite) times with the variable value going up and down with each
    occupation/re-occupation event. Important: Once a probability check has
    failed it won’t be repeated a second time should the according variable
    value be reached again. It wouldn’t make sense if the Germans decided to
    abandon the Gustav Line under the same circumstances under which they
    had decided to stand fast just a couple of hours or days ago. This also
    prevents gamey play: Abandoning such an objective after a failed check and leaving it to the German
    player with the purpose of taking it back again to get a second chance for a successful sudden death roll
    won’t work. Furthermore, the Allied player is advised to protect the base of his beachhead accordingly
    as a permanent loss of one of the 20 EEV point locations makes it almost impossible to achieve a
    variable value required for a sudden death roll. The following chart and map give an overview of the
    locations contributing to the EEV value:

Variable Value Victory Chance
    75 ................... 40%
    80 ................... 50%
    85 ................... 65%
    90 ................... 80%
    95 ................... 90%
    99 ................... 95%

All this is to be considered later on - remind me! - as if I can achieve an EEV of 60 or more, it likely means that the campaign as a whole is turning in my favor.

Theater Options:

4.1.1 Airborne Operations

The 504th PRCT
    Initial plans for Shingle called for the 504th PRCT (Parachute Regimental Combat Team) to be
    dropped on the Via Anziate, approximately ten miles north of Anzio in the vicinity of Aprilia, to block
    German reinforcements from counterattacking the landings early. This was canceled a few days before
    the landings due to the fear that they could be brought under friendly fire, either by the British troops
    operating from Peter Beach and/or by naval fire. Actually it was considered to be too risky as it also
    could have revealed Allied intentions a few hours prior to H-Hour.
    On turn 1 the Allied player may drop the Regiment into its designated drop zone (17/38) south of
    Aprilia at a cost of 100 VPs. Units may also be dropped into hexes adjacent to the drop zone. On turn 2
    a ‘foot movement’ supply unit and a supply point will appear at 17/38. The supply point will be
    removed on turn 4 as it is estimated that a link-up with the forces advancing from the beaches will
    have been established by then. Dropping the Regiment into another area, i.e. Cisterna will not trigger a
    supply point - in order to be in supply the RCT must be dropped into the pre-designated landing zone.
    The ‘foot-movement’ supply unit will be withdrawn one turn after the regiment’s supply trucks have
    been landed at Anzio (turn 8).
    If the Allied player doesn’t wish to paradrop the 504th he must chose the theater option (on turn 1) to
    bring in the RCT via sea transport as was historically the case. If the TO is selected, the initial 504th
    PRCT will be withdrawn and an identical formation will appear at Anzio on turns 6 and 7. The 100
    victory points penalty will be removed. The truck-borne supply unit of the RCT will in each case land
    at Anzio on turn 8.

The 509th Parachute Battalion
    Historically this independent battalion was attached to the Ranger force landing at Anzio. But the
    Allied player has the option to use it in an airdrop as a second wave to follow the 504 th PRCT. The
    theater option is available on turn 1 only. If the Allied player selects the theater option he must move
    the battalion from its initial position (0/59) to the airfield in the hex north of it. On turn 2 it can be
    flown into the 504th’s drop zone; like the PRCT it is only allowed to land in the dropzone (17/38) or an
    adjacent hex. The costs for this are 30 VPs.

4.1.2 Allied Air Support Options
    Allied airfields are situated on the bottom of the map in
    separate rows of airfields for each high level formation.
    As US 64th Fighter Wing, which actually is part of US
    XII ASC, is the only air formation that is permanently
    available to the Allied player, a separate row of airfields
    for this formation is located on the southwestern map
    edge. Note that except for 64th Fighter Wing all other
    formations are in garrison status. Beginning on turn 2,
    the Allied player receives a series of theater options to
    release these formations. The activated air formation
    will be available for orders on the turn following the
    selection of a theater option for a duration of three
    turns. Four turns after a theater option is selected a new theater option for an additional release of the
    according formation will be available. Activation limitations and costs are as follows:

US XII ASC: 5 activations, first two activations without cost, thereafter 10 VPs per activation
    MATBF: 5 activations, first activation without cost, thereafter 10, 20, 30, 40 VPs
    MASAF*: 3 activations, first activation 15, second activation 30, third activation 60 VPs
    *For play-balance, but also historical/realism reasons only roughly half of MASAF’s assigned
    squadrons will be available to the Allied player. This is still quite an impressive force.
    ASC = Air Service Command ???
    MATBF = Mediterranean Allied Tactical Bomber Force
    MASAF = Mediterranean Allied Strategical Air Force

Despite the VP hit to not selecting the first PO, the 504 is integral to my plan, for the speedy capture of the crossings over the Mussolini Canal. I can not allow even one to become contested before the forward line is established. Hopefully, this will pay off by the end of the scenario. (Also note a further drawback - going forward with the drop gives the German player the option of activating the 4. FsJ. (Fallschirmjager) Div. early, for relatively low cost.

The second TO - we'll come to it later.

I will save the valuable but circumscribed Air Support TOs for when the major offensives are underway - when I need to put real muscle in my operations.

The Germans have many TOs of their own, but I won't go into those. Better for it to be a surprise.

Other Notes:

3.1.10 Loss of Allied Ships
    The German player will be awarded VPs for sinking Allied shipping. This will be 5 VPs for a destroyer
    class and 10 VPs for a cruiser.

3.2.2 Handling of Naval Units
    Naval fire support is only possible from within the swept channel; this is represented on the map by
    the normal, non-distant deep water hexes. Along this swept channel there is a row of distant hexes
    (+199) which represents the open sea. Naval units in those hexes can’t lend fire support to land units
    but are safe from German air raids. Historically a large number of naval vessels were withdrawn to the
    open sea each day in the afternoon after the first German air raids harassed the Allied fleet.
    On turn 1, both Task Force 81 and Task Force X-Ray, are in reserve and not available for fire support;
    they will be released on turn 2.
    Incentive to end turns with ships in the deep-sea hexes.

3.1.2 Weather Influence on Supplies and Air Activity
    From January 24th to 26th stormy weather prevented almost any air activity. On the morning of the 24th
    Peter Beach had been closed as the two pontoons had broached in rough sea. X-Ray beach pontoons
    broached on the 26th, but were again operational on the next day. Unloadings at Anzio harbour
    however were not that seriously affected. In the scenario this will have the following effect:
    Both sides will suffer a 25% air shock from turn 10 – 22. Peter Beach's supply unit will be withdrawn
    permanently on turn 10. X-Ray beaches will be closed temporarily from turns 10 – 14 and 18 – 22.
    Weather in the opening phase is historical. After that (after Jan. 26th) it is managed by a weather
    engine, with probabilities for storm/bad weather based on historical weather conditions. Each day
    there is a 40% chance for stormy weather which will last two turns. On storm turns theater recon is set
    to zero and air shock for both sides is 25%, returning to normal on the third turn. Each day at predawn
    the news string will contain a weather report that warns the player of an impending storm. This
    is to prevent the Allied player from ‘wasting’ his Air Support Options on a storm turn
    See also → 3.2.2 Handling of Naval Units for weather effects on naval units.
    In that case, I definitely shouldn't call in any air support until 4 days in, at the least.

3.1.4 Theater Recon and Peak Hexes
    Theater recon for both sides is set to zero during PM turns. On AM turns both sides’ theater recon is
    set to 8, but the Germans (and certainly also the Allies if possible) can make use of the peak hexes in
    the Colli Laziali which historically provided excellent observation points.

3.1.5 Force Pestilence
    To reflect historical conditions on the battlefield and their consequences for men and material, like
    trench foot and mechanical breakdown, force pestilence is set to 1% for each side, beginning on turn
    18 (January 26th).

3.1.6 German Air Raids and Nettuno Airfield
    During the first weeks of the Anzio campaign the Germans launched regular and partially devastating
    air raids against the Allied navies and the shipping anchoring before Anzio harbor. The usual
    procedure was to sneak in at dusk when Allied fighters were returning to their 100 mile distant bases
    as they needed daylight to land. To counter these tactics Allied engineers began to renovate the old
    Italian air strip at Nettuno which became operational on February 1st. It was US 307th Fighter Squadron
    which had the doubtful honor to be based within enemy artillery range. Consequently the airfield had
    to be abandoned later in the campaign due to constant shelling.
    To represent this in the game the Germans have a 105% air shock while the Allies suffer an 95% air
    shock on afternoon turns. There is no such bonus on storm/bad weather turns, including the long bad
    weather period from turns 10 to 22. On turn 42 Nettuno airfield becomes operational, removing the
    German air bonus permanently. In game terms an “airfield” unit will appear on turn 41 with some
    construction engineers and 0/1 “airfields”. The “airfield” equipment is actually a modified aircraft
    carrier (combat values zeroed) and can base one air unit. The equipment will be filled up on turn 42
    after 7 “airfields” will have been dumped into the replacement pool the previous turn as otherwise it
    would not have been possible to deploy the unit on a land hex. This setup also allows the Germans to
    render the airfield unusable (when the unit is destroyed). Any Allied fighter unit can be placed on this
    airfield; they have all been designated ‘naval aircraft’ with an equipment editor (BioEd) to be able to
    actually be deployed there.

3.1.7 Valmontone – Littoria Bypass Road
    To enable the Germans to shift troops between the southeastern wing of the front line (Littoria,
    Pontine Marshes) and the other parts of the beachhead front an ‘off-map’ road has been added to the
    eastern map edge with approximately 80 km length. Part of that road is in distant hexes and can’t be
    interdicted or bombed directly by Allied aircraft. The Allied player is not allowed to enter or attack
    into any hex of this bypass road.

3.1.8 Additional Replacements
    Both sides receive additional replacements for specific ‘low rate’ equipment in the form of disband
    units. The replacement units are categorized into infantry, AFVs, artillery and planes in the case of the
    Germans. They arrive at a semi-random basis on hex 15/60 for the Allies and 30/0 for the Germans
    and can be disbanded at the players’ will; there is no enforced rule about it. Only the German planes, of
    which only few will be available, will be disbanded directly into the pool by the event engine.

3.1.9 Opening, Shock and Theater Options
    With version 1.81 a new concept and new dynamics for the
    opening turns have been introduced in regard to the initial
    Allied advance in-game compared to the historical Allied
    performance and defensive agenda in the early phase of
    Shingle. One can basically speak of two different ‘openings’,
    resulting in two different courses the scenario can, but must
    not, take:
    The ‘pattonesque’ opening sees the 504th Parachute RCT land
    near Aprilia and will most probably be followed by an all out
    Allied attack (see section → 4.1.1 Airborne Operations for
    details about this theater option). This still costs 100 victory
    points.
    The second one, introduced in version 1.81, could be called
    ‘the historical opening’. It is designed for a possible limited
    Allied advance, but however must not necessarily lead to
    such a limitation. When the Allied player opts for bringing in the 504th Parachute RCT by sea on turn
    6, a set of shock events and related theater options will come into effect which are designed to force the
    Allied player to resemble the historical cautiousness of the Allied advance until the first major
    offensive actions took place towards the end of January. Allied shock will fall to 90% on turn 3, rise to
    95% on turn 13 and will be restored to 100% on turn 25 – if the Allied (or the German player) doesn’t
    influence these events by selecting one of the related theater options: On turn 2 the Allied player has
    the chance to remove the 80% shock at a cost of 45 victory points. This will also cancel the later 90%
    shock and all related theater options. The option is only available on turn 2. If the Allied player
    removes the shock, the German player will receive a theater option on turn 3 to restore the Allied
    shock to 90% at a cost of 40 victory points which will further re-enable the later 95% shock event and
    Unloadings at X-Ray Beach on D-Day
    related theater options. Like the Allied theater option, the German theater option is only available for
    one turn. The same game starts again on turn 12 when the Allied player will have the option to prevent
    the following 95% shock at a cost of 25 victory points while the German player will have the option to
    restore the 95% shock on the next turn with a 20 victory point penalty. Both options are again available
    for only one turn (turn 12 for the Allied player and turn 13 for the German player).
    Certainly the players can agree upon the course of the action regarding the shock events before they
    start the game, but they also could leave it open. They should consider that the shock event setup will
    help a weak German player against a more skilled opponent.
    As mentionend further above, this has been designed to force the Allied player to be more cautious in
    his early actions, similar to the historical course of events. Note that shock not only affects combat
    effectiveness of units, but can also force formations to go into reorganization, making them immobile
    and unavailable for player orders, which could leave some units in quite vulnerable positions to
    German counterattacks. Also note that the German player, if all four TOs are selected, gets out of this
    with 10 VPs ahead.
    In each case the Allied player will have to pay in victory points if he wants to use the initial German
    weakness in the opening turns to conduct offensive actions that go beyond the scope of those
    historically performed by VI Corps during the early days of Shingle.
    I'm not a skilled opponent! Well, I think this is more cause to take the aggressive though costly roue of dropping the 504th PRCT.

I don't think I will be taking the shock-negation events - far too costly. My attack will have to proceed under inadequate conditions, even if for a little while. Anyway, I envision not an all-out blitz but a race to acquire the good defensive terrain of the Mussolini Canal, while building up along its western extent for the two-pronged strike. Surely this would take at least a week.

The Order of Battle
    As other scenario designers also might have encountered there is always an inconsistency in OOB data
    from source to source. This was not different with the various sources I used, especially when it went
    into the details and as I decided to go with the 1 km/hex and company scale there could never be
    enough detailed information. Luckily the inconsistencies were only with the German part of the OOB.
    The main sources for the German OOB were of course the War diaries of 14th army which can be
    downloaded from the cgsc website in an English translation (see link in 7.0 Sources); together with
    Greiner/Schramm’s War Diary of OKW, “Lo sbarco di Anzio” by Lagomarsini/Lombardi (which
    provided some scanned original documents – grazie!) and some excellent postings at the Axis History
    Forums I was able to compile a reasonable OOB and reinforcement/arrival schedule for the German
    side. However I still had to do some guesswork, and there where I had no certain or exact information
    about the actual arrival of a certain unit I based my decisions on gameplay and balance.
    For some units and formations from both sides I had exact information about the replacements they
    received during the campaign, but I decided not to apply them 1:1; the main reason being the TOAW
    replacement calculations and gameplay (i.e. 3rd PzGren might take fewer losses than historically, so
    why should they receive the replacements they received historically?). Maybe this will change in future
    versions depending on players’ feedback and own observations with the replacement pool and units’
    health.

TO&E Issues
    There’s not much to say about the Allied tables of equipment which should be quite accurate, however
    it was not as easy with the German side. A lot of compromises, especially with rather exotic and special
    units, such as the LW Jäger Bn 7 zbV, the SS Polizei Bn Rom, the Nembo FJ Bn or the Brandenburgers
    had to be done while at the same time units like the 3rd PzGren Div and other regular formations have
    been set up with more accurate information.Heavy Weapons companies and the like have been
    distributed among the other combat companies within the battalion and/or the HQ unit of the
    battalion (mainly mortars) in some cases.

Artillery and Formation Support
    With the huge amount of artillery in both sides’ OOB something had to be done in regard to formation
    cooperation. The idea was to prevent divisional and regimental artillery from providing defensive fire
    support to non-divisional and non-regimental units. The initial ‘free support’ setup did not only
    misrepresent historical procedures and facts, but also distorted combat results when ground combat
    was mostly decided by the amount of artillery support each side could add to a certain combat. Not
    always, but often, this greatly distorted combat results and lead to extremely huge combat losses.
    Therefore only both sides’ Corps artillery is set to free support. All other artillery formations are set to
    army support.

Playing Anzio 1944
    This is not a simulation of what historically happened, it is a game. Given the historical course of
    events, Anzio 1944 is more a ‘what if?’ than other historical scenarios. No wargamer (at least those that
    I know) ever will be as cautious and hesitating as Lucas was (he had his reasons, but the players have
    their hindsight), or can you imagine to land a whole Corps without any opposition and with great
    tactical surprise and doing nothing for three days? Most historians agree that Lucas’ cautiousness and
    defensive posture eventually saved the beachhead, but also most historians agree upon the blunder of
    not taking Osteriaccia and Cisterna early in order to gain more depth for a better defense against the
    inevitable German counterattack.

Why was so much effort put into limiting the initial Allied advance rate?
    Play balance and historical facts: it was the operational plan that limited their advance. The Allies were
    surprised by themselves that they took the Germans by surprise with the landing – the plans were
    worked out with serious German resistance to be expected. Securing the initial beachhead and
    preparing for first counterattacks were the orders of the assault battalions.

The scenario and documentation can be located at the scenario creator's - S. Goehring's - site. Due credit to him, &c.
    Last edited by Montmorency; 01-09-2013 at 22:06.
    Vitiate Man.

Are you not entertained?! \

*Reserved for procedural notes*

*Include big map in each
    *First turn include TOE and that one screen
    *Every 10 turns, new TOE screen
    *Print News String for each turn
    *Discuss available TOs each turn
    *Reinforcement Schedule
    *Enemy Dispositions

Note: A House Rule that I didn't mention in the writeup is that my ships must be moved into the deep sea on storm turns.
    Last edited by Montmorency; 01-10-2013 at 09:49.
    Vitiate Man.

A third voter? GAH

Alright, this is embarassing.

I'm truly sorry to have screwed the pooch or whatever they say, but I can make amends: once this AAR is coming to a close, I'll re-roll the winner and make an AAR of that. I can't change course now as I've found an opponent - much sooner than anticipated - and will actually begin the AAR-proper tomorrow.

Vitiate Man.

TURN 1 (JANUARY 22 PRE-DAWN)

• Operation Shingle begins - H-Hour at 2:00 AM
    • Beaches hit by rocket bombardment from British LCTs (Landing Craft Tanks)
    • VI Corps achieves total surprise!
    • 504 Para Rgt may be dropped only this turn!

It is time to carry out the landings.

TO: I will not take either of the TOs. The airdrop must proceed, and the 509th Para Btn will be landed as part of the assault force storming the beaches at zero-hour.

TOE:

This is the sort of stuff I will be working with during the battle. Note the time-delays to many of the items. Many types of equipment will be dropped off onto the beach much later, once the "coast is clear", literally speaking. Replacement tanks come in only after a week-and-a-half, replacement planes after a week, and the men and bare necessities of infantry close-combat after a couple of days; some vehicles and other pieces, only after two weeks.

I'm sure the disband pools will help some, but the fact remains that what I get is what I get - my frontline units are what count, and there won't be much chance to rebuild them in the event of serious losses.

LANDINGS

My only air cover for the landings is the RAF No. 600 Sdn, composed of 16 Beaufighters.

I will not need much air support, however, as intelligence reveals that the beach is unoccupied save for a company of non-combat engineers in Anzio. They will be dealt with. Let no more mention be made of them.

X-Ray Beach: *The 10th Eng. Btn is to be spread out across the three zones

*Zone Green - 3 Btn, 15th Inf. Rgt. is headed here

*Zone Red 1 - 2 Btn, 30th Inf. Rgt. is headed here;3rd Cavalry Troop, attached directly to US 3rd ID Divisional Command, lands here as well

*Zone Red 2 -1 Btn, 7th Inf. Rgt. is headed here

This is what an American infantry company looks like...

Anzio: *Zone Yellow - 509th Para Btn and the 1st, 3rd, and 4th Ranger Btns land here and capture both Anzio and Nettuno; H Company of the 3rd Btn, 36th Combat Engineer Rgt accompanies the rangers

This is what a ranger company looks like...

Peter Beach: *Three field companies of Royal Engineers, attached directly to BR 1st ID Divisional Command, are to be distributed throughout the beach

*Zone Green - No. 9 Commando Btn and 42nd Royal Marine Commando Btn are headed here

*Zone Amber - 2 North Stafford Btn & 1 Loyals Rgt are headed here

*Zone Red - 1 Scots Guards Btn and 6 Gordon Highland Btn are headed here

*These British battaliosn are composed of 4 line companies and an AT company, plus regimental HQ - American battalions only have three line companies

This is what a British infantry company looks like...

504 PRCT: *Two companies of the regiment will land just south of Carocetto, the historical planned DZ, and advance on Carocetto and Aprilia, which cover the Via Appia and provide good defensive terrain, all in one throw; additionally, the British are only 10 km away and should be able to provide speedy succor in the event...

*One will drop in Padiglione

*Two will drop north of Campomorto

*One will drop NE of Conca, and another 5 km east of it; the 376th PFA (Parachute Field Artillery) Btn will also drop 5km east of it, as from there the 75mm pack howitzers can cover almost all of the MussoCanal

*The last three companies will drop at the crossings between Valmontorio and Borgo Sabotino

This is what an American paratrooper company looks like...

Results: *All landings go smoothly, and advance up to two miles from their landing zones (except of course for the Brits)

*The paratroops suffer some casualties during their drops, on the level of two full companies + arty battery; such is the life of a parachutist

*Parachutists scattered west of Borgo Sabotino discover an enemy mechanized company in the village, though no contact is made

I will not be doing the Extras series with Directive 21, conscious of the possibility, however small, that a surge of voting might propel it into first place for the follow-on AAR.
    Last edited by Montmorency; 01-11-2013 at 01:51.
    Vitiate Man.

TURN 2 (JANUARY 22 MORNING)

• Kesselring announces Fall Richard!
    • Unloadings proceed excellent and are ahead of schedule
    • Allies take Aprilia (EEV +20)
    The situation at dawn...

Previous Enemy Actions: The mechanized company in Borgo Sabotino abandoned the village and moved on to parts unknown. The paratrooper company 2 km SW of Sessano noted an enemy formation passing through the area; it is suspected to have been the battalion HQ of the aforementioned mech company. These are ominous tidings - could this merely be a panicked flight to avoid perceived impending encirclement? Could it be prelude to a massive counterattack?* Even worse, could it mean that Kesselring intends to fall back on prepared defensive positions?

Aerial reconnaissance discovered a German assault-gun company stationed in Lanuvio, a village in the southern Alban Hills.

*I will not frequently be referring to the posted German OOB other than to mark off observed formations; I will certainly not sneak looks at the German reinforcement table.

TOs: No requests for extra air support yet. I will inform you when my position shifts.

MANEUVERS

*504th PRCT will hold at Aprilia and the MussoCanal bridges, at least until relief arrives in force

*The rest of the troops are to spread out from the beach-head - simple enough; all are headed in some variant of "Northward", to be slightly more specific

*The British in particular I will give a more detailed treatment; they are headed to the Fosso di Moletta, which marks the border between the coastal marshlands and the coastal gullies; the object is to either seize or block off the crossings, for as you will recall, the gullies are impassable to armor and other vehicles

*American advance proceeds smoothly

*The British run into an enemy company, identified to be the 7th of the II Btn, 71. PzGr (Panzer-Grenadier) Div, sitting on the only crossing over the Fosso di Moletta; the 6 Gordon Highland Btn assumes its place here and attacks with extensive air and naval arty support, taking the bridge with minimal losses while eliminating an enemy platoon; the enemy falls back along the road, where another enemy detachment of unknown nature is sighted

*British commandos encounter another company, probably also of the 71. PzGr Div.; attacking with extensive aerial and naval arty support, the enemy is force back for minimal losses; however, the Germans only lose 3 trucks captured, and nothing else

The disposition of the VI Corps prior to the British assaults...

LANDINGS PHASE 2

*I have received many reinforcements for the second wave of landings; these are armor, artillery, follow-on infantry btns, and division-level support elements; in addition, I have gained access to 5 groups/wings of fighter aircraft

X-Ray Beach (US): *The remaining two battalions of the 7th Inf Rgt, as well as the regimental command, regimental arty, regimental AT coy, regimental depot, and regimental recon platoon

*The remaining two battalions of the 30th Inf Rgt, as well as the regimental command, regimental arty, regimental AT coy, regimental depot, and regimental recon platoon

*The remaining two battalions of the 15th Inf Rgt, as well as the regimental command, regimental arty, regimental AT coy, regimental depot, and regimental recon platoon

*These three regiments constitute the US 3rd ID, the HQ of which, headed by General L. Truscott, as well as the MP platoon, will arrive on shore now

*10th, 41st, and 49th FA (Field Artillery) Btns, bearing a dozen 105mm M2 howitzers each

*9th FA Btn, consisting of heavy artillery - a dozen 155mm M1 howitzers

*69th Armored FA Btn, with 18 M7 Priest SPGs

*A company of Shermans from the 751st Tank Btn

*The dozen M10s of the A Company, 601st TD Btn

*2 companies of the 441 AAA AW (Automatic Weapons) Btn, composed entirely of SPAAMG (Self-propelled Anti-Air Machine-Guns)

*The MP platoon of the 1st AD (Armored Division) will land

Anzio (US): *The 6615th Ranger Force top-level elements, including the famous COL William Darby's command, a battery of halftrack-mounted 75mm howitzers, two mortar companies, and finally a mobile depot

Peter Beach (BR): *BR 2nd Inf Bde's brigade-level assets, including BRIG E. Moore's command, an MG battalion, and a mobile depot

*2nd, 19th, and 67th Field Regiments of the Royal Artillery, bringing along 6 dozen 25-pounders

*The BR 1 ID command, led by MAJ-GEN W. Penney, as well as the divisional Field Park Coy (which contained stores for the field companies of the Royal Engineers, as well as pontooneering equipment and personnel)

*A Company (Company A) of the 1st Recon Rgt

From now on, reinforcements will appear on the beaches themselves

Tactical Note: All American artillery (aside from the battalion HQs, each of which has an organic battery of 81mm morars) should head toward the central point of Campomorto near the MussoCanal. From there, they can cover an area from Cisterna di Latina to the coast, from Borgo Piave to Aprilia.

A rough sketch demonstrating my point...

Additional Note: The commander of the 504 PRCT is of course COL R. Tucker. I should have mentioned earlier that he dropped with the regiment during the assault phase.
    Last edited by Montmorency; 01-12-2013 at 04:43.
    Vitiate Man.

TURN 3 (JANUARY 22 AFTERNOON)

• Anzio Harbour is operational!
    • VI Corps has landed 19575 tons of supplies of all kinds
    • WAR NEWS: Cassino: US 36th Div's attack finally failed
    • Allied Air Shock 95
    • German Air Shock 105
    ALBAN HILLS

Many enemy contacts in the southern Alban Hills. Among those counted are a pioneer battalion, an AA battalion, a reserve battalion, a company of heavy tanks thought to be Tigers, and, a few km south of the hills, in Stazione Campoleone, a company of assault guns. Stazione Campoleone is just SW of Osteriacchia, a major objective in the area. This assault-gun company is probably the same one seen earlier in Lanuvio...

This and other developments to be noted at a later point in the report lead me to believe that the enemy intends to form up a defensive line, well back from the front. The fact that it's well back from the current extent of Allied advance could either signal the determination and cool-headedness of my opponent, or could be a miscalculation that will allow me to take a substantial area with minimal work. Then again, it might even be a trap.

WEST OF THE CANAL

Reinforcements: *MAJ-GEN John "Johnnie" Lucas has debarked at Nettuno with his staff and will set up his HQ tent in Anzio, where it shall remain for the remainder of the battle. We will hear no more of Lucas unless he is forced to move by a deep-penetrating German spearhead...

*5 Grenadier Guards Btn

*1 Irish Guards Btn

*24th Guards Bde brigade-level elements, including BRIG A. Murray's command, the brigade depot, and an MG company

Enemy Dispositions:

Situation just after noon...

The enemy company engaged by the Commandos seems not to have moved - perhaps it was shocked by the force of the assault. Along the road through the gully-land, however, it's a different story. Locking down the road for a few miles is a full battalion of Panzergrenadiers. We're seeing a battalion HQ, 3 line companies, and what looks like a recon company.

Maneuvers: It will be up to 6 Gordon Highland Btn to bust through the . They will received considerable artillery support, and the Irish Guards will be behind to lend a hand if necessary. This is certainly a sideshow and not a place to commit many men, but it would be nice to, if possible, bust a path through this difficult terrain and use it as a route to the enemy's flank. Ultimately, if the enemy proves unbudgeable, I could always leave behind a battalion or two to stand guard and whatnot. Attempting to force my way through, the enemy lose a platoon while Brit casualties are low. However, the position is retained. The next attempt, the enemy simply retreats toward the recon platoon behind them, and my men advance, pushing away another recon platoon on the shore. The final attack, on the weakened company + platoon, is successful, and the stretch of road is taken. The Germans lose slightly more.

The commandos, with help from nearby battalions, will surround the isolated enemy company and finish it off. The first attack is repulsed, though casualties are light and the enemy suffers disproportionately. The second time around, the enemy simply surrendered.

The rest of the the British force will proceed past La Cogna ("The Wadis") and toward Vallelata Ridge, where they will establish a strong defensive line overlooking the Fosso Campo del Fico, which terminates just SW of Osteriacchia.

The American rangers and what airborne elements are in the area will move on Osteriacchia, of course keeping the rearguard strong in case of ambush.

What all this serves to do is to anchor my left flank along difficult terrain that needs only a regiment for hold down over say 15 km. On the right, it anchors the flank in urban terrain, in an important objective of the mission.

From Osteriacchia, I would extend the line down to the Mussolini Canal, but along and behind the Fosso di Ficoccia, a waterway which meanders out of the Canal's western extent.

I get it now... The enemy is conserving the main body of his force until sufficient reinforcements arrive from elsewhere in Italy and occupied Europe... He may just mean to strike once "en kairo", so to speak.

Situation toward dusk...

MUSSOLINI CANAL

Reinforcements: *Remainder of 751st Tank Btn, bringing total tanks of battalion present to 57 Sherman, 17 Stuart

*Remainder of 601st TD Btn, bringing along 2 dozen fresh M10s as well as a cavalry company

*Remainder of 441st AAA AW (Automatic Weapons) Btn, making 4 dozen infantry-chopping SPAAMGs operational within the beach-head

*3rd ID Divisional Depot

Enemy Dispositions:

Situation just after noon...

... Sorry, I forgot to snap this shot.

North of the Canal, around Isola Bella, two motor AAA companies and a motor AT company have been spotted. They seem to be part of some Luftwaffe ground formation: Hermann Goehring Div, perhaps? Good thing my own panzers are moving up...

3 km N of Borgo Sabotino, a mech company of the enemy has turned up at a crossing, as seen by my three line companies there. This must be the same one that abandoned the aforementioned village early in the morning. Is this a trick? A trap? It's so tempting to make an attempt to surround and destroy. If there's nothing in the way, it would be so easy...

Manuevers: Continue to move up forces per their current headings.

Artillery to Campomorto, as noted previously. Airborne arty stays where it is, as pack howitzers have shorter range than other pieces.

Even armor continues on current headings, though it seems likely that the TDs (Tank Destroyers) will be needed in the north soon (if HG Div. is around). The 751st to head up, past either Campomorto or Conca, into enemy-controlled zone. The TD Btn will head east, into the Pontine Marshes. Not good terrain for tanks, but then again nowhere on the coastal plain is good for tanks.

504 PRCT elements will tentatively move past the Canal to reconnoiter in force. Near the coast, they will work with other formations to surround the seemingly isolated enemy company, and to destroy it.

There are 5 enemy openings into the marshes from an abstracted 'rear area', and these entrances must be garrisoned by both sides to represent the stabilized front along the edges of the AO (Area of Operations). This is a House Rule. The Germans need only garrison with 5 platoons each entrance, while I need a full battalion + company. Obviously, the bulk of a division tied down there while holding up only a regiment of the enemy...and my opponent has a very weak grasp of English. Let's hope he at least understands the need to maintain this, or I will be at a severe disadvantage if pressing the attack...Oh no, I misunderstood. The garrison is for the entire area (of the Pontine Marshes), I see. So it's one line unit per entrance. Disregard my earlier elaboration.

It begins! E Company of the 2nd Btn, 504th PRCT advances over the bridge toward Sessano, and runs into a prepared enemy. A company of infantry and a battalion HQ are in the village itself, the HQ probably of the previously noted company. S of the village is a recon company of the same formation. I though I might be able to go as far as the crossing just north of Sessano...

K Coy, 3rd Btn, 15th IR (Infantry Regiment) encounters an enemy artillery company and forces it to surrender. A nice catch.

The flank of the aforementioned enemy mech company N of Borgo Sabotino is guarded by a recon platoon, of the same formation. It prevents the full encirclement of the company. Still, this should be enough for now. Pressing the attack over the bridge, the company is not shifted, though both sides take some casualties. The PzAuf company and the recon platoon do inexplicably switch positions, though. This should actually make things easier for me.

The mech company and the cavalry company (and platoon) have been identified by interrogating the prisoners from the captured arty. They are of the Panzer-Aufklarungs Abt (Abteilung) 129, and they are rather powerful units. Even the platoon is strong, and I will likely need my M10s to take on it. The M10s do make an attack, though suddenly against the company of course but wait! The infantry on the bridge attacked the platoon before the Wolverines moved in, and took out most of the platoons vehicles for no losses and forced it toward the company. So, both enemy units were present for the M10s assault. That assault proved somewhat successful. The enemy remains, but are encircled and probably won't manage to escape or be relieved.

2nd Btn, 30 IR, moves toward Sessano to set up a line against the enemy there. For now, they are too strong to overwhelm. Well, alright, I'll try an attack on the recon company. I am badly beaten, losing half a platoon for nothing. The men, before pulling back, at least manage to identify 19 enemy halftracks present at the skirmish.

3rd ID's cavalry troop ventures past the Canal toward the AAA contacts, and discovers, after knocking about one company and a battalion HQ, that this is the bulk of the I Btn of the Hermann Goehring Flak Rgt. Retribution will not be slow in coming, I'm sure... The cavalry troop is in a very compromising situation far from friendly lines, with enemies between those lines and itself. Hopefully it will survive.

The arty is in place around Campomorto. So many guns and men that the advance of the line companies behind them is significantly slowed. That's what I get for not paying attention to that sort of thing.

Para companies advance past the Canal N of Campomorto, 3 km each, but encounter no signs of hostiles.

Situation prior to attacks...

Additional Note: This afternoon, hundreds of transport vehicles were offloaded onto the beach, to be absorbed by all wanting units in the beach-head. This will boost supply distribution as well as movement rates. It will take about a day for everything to get where it is needed, however.

Feedback would be tolerable. How much of a faux pas was it to jump the gun by over a week, even if the turnout seemed anemic at the time? Hopefully, history will vindicate me.
    Vitiate Man.

Clan Takiyama Senior Member CBR's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Montmorency View Post
    Feedback would be tolerable. How much of a faux pas was it to jump the gun by over a week, even if the turnout seemed anemic at the time? Hopefully, history will vindicate me.
    I'm fine with it

TURN 4 (JANUARY 22 NIGHT)

• Air Shock Returns To Normal

WEST OF THE CANAL

Enemy Dispositions: It is dark now. I have intelligence only on those enemy units in contact with me.

The SPGs are still in Stazione. The recon company and PzGren company are still blocking the road along the gullies. However, there is one perceptible change: a reserve battalion of 4 companies has been moved down to Osteriacchia, opposite my vanguard, a company of combat engineers. The fact that the rest of the Alban Hills contingent is not visible could be due to poor recon - they might have formed up on the flanks of the observed enemy units to create a line. On the other hand, perhaps he's keeping them as a mobile reserve. Perhaps he means to counterattack soon. Certainly, the absence of the heavy panzer company from the only part of the front here on a good road or in urban terrain, is chilling.

Reinforcements: A battalion of combat engineers from the

Maneuvers:

Situation at nightfall...

The fresh CE battalion will move up to Osteriacchia posthaste. My intent is to pour my units into a defensive line opposite theirs, both to get everything to the front and to get intel on the enemy condition and composition.

Along the gully road, I will press the attack. The two companies from earlier on are sure to be prepared, and it is nighttime, but it would be remiss to give the enemy the chance to improve their preparations and defensive works. The attack must go on.

As men move up for the attack, a recon team ascertains that this is the second PzGr company, the one noted to be several km in the rear. The other company was indeed heavily battered in the afternoon, and it seems the enemy pulled it back for a bit of recuperation.

Combat engineers moving up discover that the reserve battalion is the HG Div's Alarm btn, and it actually looks fairly weak. It doesn't seem to have any flank protection on either the right or left, anyhow. A honey trap? Anyway, let's attack!

Meanwhile, the 3rd Ranger Btn sets up a picket along the Fosso di Spaccasassi.

The two companies of the 504 PRCT in the area cover the Vallelata Ridge over the gully Fosso Campo del Fico. No enemies in sight. Two companies of British engineers, now, decide to cross the waterway in force, to find a surprise on the other side. The left flank of the SPGs is indeed guarded, by a pioneer and an AT company. A couple of km SW of this happens to be the heavy tank company, lying in wait. My hapless engineers may suffer a severe thrashing soon.

The gully-attack is successful, with both sides taking platoon-size losses. Advancing on toward Ardea, a company of the Irish Guards encounters a battalion of Luftwaffe infantry! Despite this unexpected interlopery, the drive along the road continues. The battered Panzergrenadiers suffer another setback, retreating off the road and into the forested escarpment between gullies.

The attack near Osteriacchia is a resounding success, as the surprised enemy flees with losses while inflicting no damage on the engineers. Buoyed by the success, nearby infantry attempt to sneak up on the SPGs in Stazione Campoleone, and ultimately end up taking the position! A brave bazooka-team crept up to the armor and blew up a Semovente, bringing the others to withdraw. The bazooka-men were, unfortunately, killed.

Situation before second round of attacks...

MUSSOLINI CANAL

Enemy Dispositions: While the PzAuf companies I routed earlier remained in disarray, the enemy launched a probe from Serrano. Casualties were light, though one company did retreat prematurely.

North of the Canal, meanwhile, 4 more companies of the HG Div. appeared, along with another battalion of unknown nature.

Reinforcements: The 84th Chemical Mortar Btn.

Maneuvers:

Situation at nightfall...

The fresh arty battalion heads up toward Isola Bella and the heavier enemy concentration.

B Coy of the 441st AAA AW Btn rides along the shore of the Lago di Fogliano and captures Fogliano and Borgo Grappo. It will "garrison" the lower entrance to the abstracted enemy rear.

The routed Aufklarungs are totally surrounded and finished off without too much of a fight.

Serrano is surrounded by my SPAAMGs and my infantry. The attack to reduce it was at first unsuccessful and moderately costly, but the enemy is eventually confined to the village center, having suffered heavy losses.

Littoria is occupied by MPs and a recon cadre.

Driving an AT coy of the HG Div out of Isola Bella, tankers of the 751st discover new enemies. Further, our intel and &comms wonks are able to triangulate the location of the HG Div arty battalion, which covered the AT company during its flight. In total, a whole other battalion has been revealed. Even better, the unknown battalion has been found to be of a Brandenburger regiment, the German elite special forces. Nevertheless, throughout this area I launch the largest combined-arms assault yet seen at Anzio. First, two enemy reserve companies bear the brunt. For next to nothing, I wipe out two platoons at least. Next are the Brandenburgers on the flanks of the western group; they fall back as well, with some losses. I have wrought a classic combined-arms envelopment. Even the arty battalion is nearly encircled.

L Coy/3 Btn/30 Rgt races to Cisterna di Latina, capturing the city and giving chase to a battalion HQ of the HG Div.

Last edited by Montmorency; 01-13-2013 at 22:16.
    Vitiate Man.

TURN 5 (JANUARY 23 PRE-DAWN)

• Allies Take Cisterna (EEV +20)

WEST OF THE CANAL

Enemy Dispositions: This is very strange. No new enemy formations have been moved up to the front.

The enveloped enemy stack between gullies tried to break out through direct attack, and it seems as though the two PzGr companies were annihilated in the faile dattempt.

The FsJgr battalion in Ardea attacked No. 3 Coy, 1 Irish Guards Btn in what was likely an attempt to relieve their trapped comrades. The attack appears to have been a costly failure, as the Irish Guards held the position and acquitted themselves well.

The British engineers fought with the heavy tank company, confirmed now to be of Tigers, and was pushed back to the Fosso Campo del Fico.

Command is sure that the Germans are receiving extensive reinforcements at this point. Certainly, the attacks by the paras and Tigers indicate a level of confidence on the part of the enemy command. And it would certainly be foolhardy to counterattack in force against a superior enemy without bringing those reinforcements to bear...

The prime question is, "Where are the enemy reserves, and why are they being held back?"

Maneuvers:

The situation after midnight...

Some early morning aerial reconnaissance by fighter-bombers on the heavy panzer company reports that there are in fact 8 Tigers there.

The Gordon Highlanders advance along the gully-road and discover that the bridge over the Fosso Torro has been blown, and by the "annihilated" Panzergrenadiers, no less, who are guarding the crossing. Orders are for the Irish Guards to clear the enemy from the crossing by fording the river under fire, while helping the Gordon Highlanders destroy the surrounded Aufklarungs and battalion HQ. Opposite Ardea, we will continue to defend. Later on, once the crossing has been secured, the Irish Guards will stay to fight with the German paratroopers while the Gordon Highlanders continue along the gully-road. As it turns out, the river-crossing proceeds poorly and results in a costly repulse of the Brits. The Aufklarungs are eliminated, however.

The Loyals regiment advances through the marshy terrain NW of the Canal, as part of a plan to infiltrate the Alban Hills via an unexpected route and outflank the enemy.

The Allied forces around Osteriacchia will attempt to envelop the weaker enemy force in the area. No advance through the Alban Hills may be authorized until these are cleared. Hopefully, the Germans will continue to not appear in great numbers while we finish theese fellows off, a task that can not be completed until the end of the morning at least. Still, though, I do allow the Scots Guards to reconnoiter in force toward Lanuvio. The town is taken, and north of it is discovered an emplacement of large fixed guns, which could threaten the naval craft providing support to our ground forces. Scouting in force, the Scots Guards discover an emplacement of 170mm heavy guns and take out a battery before being driven back. Meanwhile, the reserve battalion in Osteriacchia is encircled and nearly wiped out for minimal losses.

I don't really know what to do with the British commandos. At any rate, they're departing to other parts of the theater in a couple of days, so...

The situation before third round of attacks...

MUSSOLINI CANAL

Enemy Dispositions: No fresh enemy troops have been moved up, just as in the rest of the beachhead. Strange...

Various attempts to escape from the envelopments, with negligible to minor success. At best, it seems a flak company has achieved disengagement.

Enemy unsuccessfully attempts to break out of the Sessano Pocket.

The one new contact is of a flak company of the HG Div. next to a vanguard company of M10s.

Maneuvers:

15th Rgt's recon platoon garrisons the second entrance to the enemy "rear". 30th Rgt's recon platoon relieves the SPAAMG company at the lowest entrance. I think my opponent understands this House Rule and will soon reciprocate. Let's hope he doesn't just launch a regiment-sized column into my near-undefended rear, though!

The M10 company spends the whole turn chasing the flak company, but does destroy it.

Nearby, elements of the same TD Btn discover the escaped flak company, as the HQ of its parent battalion. The American armor take moderate losses in attached infantry, and only take out a few vehicles before abandoning the attack.

Generally, kicking around panicked enemies and completing the encirclements. The crippled battalion in Sessano is eventually brought low, through a protracted struggle. The surrounded HG Reserve battalion surrenders, though a Sherman is taken out by a Panzerfaust. The huge encircled stack of the Brandenburger battalion w/ assorted other elements is forced to surrender with low infantry losses, but hidden AT teams disable 4 Shermans before being rooted out. The other surrounded stack also surrenders with little fight, though again a Sherman is taken out. All in all, an enemy regiment has been cleaned up, with infantry losses of about a platoon. On the other hand, 6 tanks lost in so short a time is rather heavy.

Moving troops north. 3 Btn/ 7 Rgt sets up forward defence around Cisterna di Latina. There also the 276th FA Btn sets up new FB (Fire Base).

The situation after before third round of attacks...

Last edited by Montmorency; 01-15-2013 at 01:59.
    Vitiate Man.

Is it just me, or does my post look as though it the Org?

Yes, now, it's underneath this one, in white space.

Edit: Resolved.
    Last edited by Montmorency; 01-15-2013 at 02:01.
    Vitiate Man.

TURN 6 (JANUARY 23 MORNING)

• Allies Take Lanuvio (EEV +1)
    WEST OF THE CANAL

Enemy Dispositions: In Cervara, a few km east of Rome, a full 5 companies of flak were detected by passing aircraft.

There are two major changes in the situation of the nominally British sector. The first and smaller of these is the arrival around Campoleone of a pioneer company of the 1. FsJgr Korps, and a fresh paratrooper battalion. On the other hand, just north of Lanuvio, two companies of 104. PzGr Div. were committed to defend the artillery emplacement. They counterattacked the Scots Guards, though casualties on both sides seem to have been negligible from the skirmish.

Reinforcements: *LT-COL E. Brett with the AT platoon of the 1st Recon Rgt

*46th Royal Tank Regiment, with over 6-dozen tanks.

*Half of the 81 AT Rgt, bearing the first battery of 17-pdrs in the AO; the rest of it is en route, ETA the afternoon

*2 Sherwood Foresters Btn

*1 Duke of Wellington Btn

*This is all part of the BR 3rd Inf Bde, which arrives commanded by BRIG J. G. James, along with brigade MG coy and brigade depot

Maneuvers:

Situation after dawn...

2 companies of Irish Guards head north along the inland gully-road, and run into two companies of Luftwaffe pioneers blocking the way. They will dig in here and hope for advances on other fronts.

The rest of the Irish Guards attack the weakened FsJgr Battalion Kleye in Ardea. The enemy suffers significant losses, half a company to half a platoon. They retreat. Moderate losses for the follow-on attack, but more ground taken.

The Gordon Highlanders make a crossing-attempt again; both sides take moderate casualties, and the crossing is ours. Another attack, and the enemy fall back even farther.

A recon company (the one of the 1st Recon Rgt that came with the assault battalions during the initial phase of the landings) pushes through gaps in the enemy pickets and occupies Campoleone, thus cutting off the enemy south of it. Attacks around here are moderately costly and successful, and result in the encirclement of a mixed enemy battalion SE of Campoleone.

Engineers move into Osteriacchia to finish off the remnants. They easily wipe out the demi-company in the town, and one squad that holds out for an hour against all assaults quickly surrenders once it sees tanks moving up.

Attack on the battery and Panzergrenadiers by the Scots Guards is successful, as for light losses the mobile troops abandon the battery and retreat deeper into the hills.

Most of the reinforcements move up toward Osteriacchia (though I slow them down through my genius move of re-siting my artillery park to right in the middle of the Via Appia), but one tank company peels off and heads for the gullies. It's poor terrain for tanks, and pushing armor through narrow chokepoints is never a good idea, but I hope that the shock will be enough to quickly break the enemy pickets and move all the way up...

The Loyals reach the foothills of the Albans several km SE of Lanuvio.

NORTH OF THE CANAL

Enemy Dispositions: NW of Cisterna, on the Via Appia, the 3rd ID's cavalry troops suffered light losses in an attack by four companies of the 104 PzGr Div, one of them being the third company to the battalion which beset the British in Lanuvio. Some km beyond the afflicted cav. troop, a regimental HQ of Panzergrenadiers has been sighted, with arty and AT companies. Where is the third battalion?

NE of Cisterna, meanwhile, B Coy/1 Btn/15 Inf Rgt was pushed back toward the city with heavy losses by a battalion of the 29. PzGr Div.

Further east, along the Fosso Teppia, the bulk of the 3rd Btn, 40th Inf. Rgt. was beaten up and nearly enveloped by a large enemy force of two battalions Panzergrenadier.

Maneuvers:

Situation after dawn...

The front heaves forward to envelop the new enemies. The four-company stack in the west is totally surrounded, and partially reduced with heavy losses. However, they could surely break out with the intervention of enemy reserves. The nearby HQ-stack is attacked with armored support, causing surprise and confusion on the enemy's part; for no losses, they are forced to flee in disorder and lose several guns. In the center, a pincer envelopment and attack causes heavy losses for the enemy. In the east, moving to counter-flank the enemy, another battalion is come across. There are multiple attacks in this area, particularly near the river an attempt to bring an enemy battalion into a pocket. The attempt fails, and losses are moderate (including a M10 TD), but the Germans take some losses and one of their companies at least is trapped.

Paratrooper companies move to garrison the next two entrances. My opponent has reciprocated the Rule, garrisoning the four so-far with a Grenadier battalion and a Flak company. This is more than is required of the Germans. That, and the unexpected sanguinity of my opponent with regard to the development, has me worrying that he intends to strike out into my rear.

The flak stranded in my rear is surrounded by my infantry, and finished off - chiefly by the 2nd Btn, 30th Inf. Rgt. Well, technically three SPAAGs remain which tore apart most of a platoon, but perhaps they'll surrender later on.

Last edited by Montmorency; 01-17-2013 at 04:41.
    Vitiate Man.

TURN 7 (JANUARY 23 AFTERNOON)

THEATER NOTES

*German air activity is picking up; so far today four fighter-planes have been lost shot down. However, their air-presence is of yet inferior to ours.

*As of now the situation indicates a minor Allied victory, as the Germans have taken considerable losses (though I can't shake the feeling that they should have much more strength somewhere out there), the Alban Hills have been reached, and the entire Mussolini Canal is in our hands. However, I will press on with the attack as I can not afford to lose my initiative while I have the Germans locally outnumbered and reeling.

WEST OF THE CANAL

Enemy Dispositions:

The FsJgr Lehr Btn arrives and helps break the encirclement near Campoleone. No real losses on my part, however.

Reinforcements: *The remaining two companies of the 81 AT Rgt

*1 Duke of Wellington Btn's AT-platoon, for which there was not beach capacity in the morning

*The remaining two companies of the 1st Recon Rgt

*1 KSLI (King's Shropshire Light Infantry) Btn

*80th Medium Rgt, Royal Artillery (less one company of two, for which there was not beach capacity; company composed of two batteries 4.5inch guns)

*24th Field Rgt, Royal Artillery (2-dozen M7 SPGs)

Maneuvers:

Situation after noon...

Dogfight over Alban Hills results in a downed German plane and recon report of a flak battalion and assorted other auxiliary elements further north.

Moving to encircle in the gully-region. The para battalion near Ardea should already be cut off from supply; the Irish Guards will merely push it toward the main action around Osteriacchia so that supporting forces may envelop it. The paras do fall back with losses, and my own are non-existent.

US Rangers help surround the two companies Panzergrenadier near Lanuvio while Scots Guards move in for the kill. Losses are heavy at first, but eventually resistance collapses.

5 Grenadier Guards Btn charges through the hills and captures Albano itself, the capital of the Alban Hills.

Loyals Regiment moves up around the east bank of the Lago di Nemi, into the hear of the Alban Hills.

Attacks to secure encirclements of enemy companies NE of Osteriacchia come at no cost to me and for the loss of 3 AFV for the enemy. Ultimately, one para company and one AT company are encircled. The latter, with 10 75mm AT guns, dies easily. The former survives, with moderate casualties. Will have to take care of it later, if it isn't relieved.

Situation before second round...

NORTHOF THE CANAL

Enemy Dispositions: Company of pioneers spotted in Velletri.

The battalion in the center withdraws to recuperate, while a fresh battalion of the Hermann Goehring Division is committed and goes on the attack. No losses on my part.

The encirclement of the one PzGr company is broken.

One PzGr company heads SE toward an rear-area entrance. Why? The enemy certainly knew of my garrison there, so either withdrawal to their rear or infiltration of my own rear could not have been the goal.

Maneuvers:

Aerial recon suddenly reveals a full German arty brigade based SW of Mount Lepini. That's some serious firepower. A German air raid on my artillery is responded to, and a German plane shot down.

Situation after noon...

Artillery park resited to Ponto Rotto.

The battalion of the 104th PzGr is to be finished off, encircled as it is. The resistance is stubborn, and before they fall (or, at least most of them do), I suffer considerable losses, including 4 M5 Stuart tanks.

The flak company in my rear finally destroyed, but in a final fury the 3 remaining vehicles rip up a whole platoon.

The PzGr company near that entrance to be surrounded and destroyed. Shouldn't be difficult. Unfortunately, the attack is a failure with heavy losses and little to show for it.

Attacks to break up the burgeoning enemy line and to envelop where possible. I must destroy the main enemy maneuver elements here before I move on. I'm sure enemy reinforcements are pouring in. Losses are moderate-to-high, though the advance is somewhat... limited. As much as half a battalion and one Sherman were lost, and the outcome isn't phenomenal.

Vitiate Man.

TURN 8 (JANUARY 23 NIGHT)

• Allies Take Albano (EEV +1)
    • Allies Take Genzano (EEV +1)
    WEST OF THE CANAL

Enemy Dispositions: Rangers and tankers around Campoleone endure some skirmishing.

The surrounded para company makes various futile attempts to break out, and suffers heavily.

A thin screen of auxiliary elements appears west of Albano.

MG company comes into contact with Rangers SE of Lanuvio.

Reinforcements: *An arty company of the 80th RA Medium Field Regiment, for which there was not beach capacity earlier (2 batteries 5.5-inchers)

*BR 1 ID's pontooneering section

Maneuvers:

[
    Situation after dusk...

Surrounding the enemy in the gully-area and moving in for the kill; these exhausted foes are finally brought low, two battalions over a day-and-a-half; the finishing blows cost me half a company or more. On the extreme left, the Gordon Highlanders move north into undefended terrain and occupy the villages of Pratica di Mare and Pomezia. With this, the enemy para-pioneers north of the Bosco Piangimino should find their blocking position in the ravine between gullies untenable, and so withdraw, allowing me freedom to anchor my AO-flank here on whatever terrain I choose.

By the time we move in to take out the surrounded para company, all of those remaining surrender without a fight.

The screen west of Albano is smashed.

Loyals Regiment moves north through the hills to take Marino. AT platoon and regimental HQ take a side route through the center of the hills, to occupy Rocca di Papa; however, an enemy MP platoon as well as the corps HQ of GEN A. Schlemm (who commands all German airborne forces in the AO as part of the 1. FsJgr Korps) occupy it, and can not be shifted without infantry support, which only arrives by midnight. 1 KSLI Btn moves into the northern Albans because it is needed there to hold down all the villages and northern roads into the region.

Rangers and Scots Guards collaborate to chase the FsJgr Reg 1 HQ, as well as a battalion HQ of the HG Div, from the outskirts of Velletri to deep within the British sector, where they are captured.

Attacks to envelop main enemy body in center of sector are successful. My armor is working well for me here. The Tiger company (in what is now my rear) is still a threat, however, and must soon be neutralized. The units in blocking positions around it are mostly British and so armed with PIATs, which don't really pack enough punch to reliably take out a Tiger.

Situation before third round...

NORTH OF THE CANAL

Enemy Dispositions: Almost no enemy attacks, mostly preparation for American assault. Even the enemies in the pocket don't attempt a breakout.

S of Velletri, the 7th Inf Reg's recon platoon is beset by half of the FsJgr Rgt 1, an MG company of which was in contact with the rangers in the British sector, as noted earlier.

Maneuvers:

Situation after dusk...

Finishing off the minor encirclement, I lose a few men but moreover 2 M5 Stuarts. Those Panzerschrecken are lethal.

As paras move around the left flank of the main enemy body in this sector, they discover a fresh battalion of the HG Division in reserve. C Coy/751st Tank Btn charges into Cori and wreaks havoc in the German artillery park.

Attacks to reduce the existing pocket, in which are trapped 4 line companies of Panzergrenadier, an AT company, regimental HQ of PzGr Reg 29, a battalion HQ of the same, and the divisional HQ of 3. PzGr Div., under GEN Fritz-Hubert Graeser. Though some holdouts remain, many men are captured, as well as the general. Reinforced battalion lost by Germans. Good victory.

Attacks to envelop the main enemy body. One attack, though, by an unsupported AAA company was a disaster in which 5 SPAAMG were lost. In general, moderate success and near-complete envelopment. Good chance of breakout by the 2 trapped battalions, however, especially if fresh German formations can be committed. Even the one fresh battalion noted earlier may be enough, though.

Attack on the enemy company near the entrance, the earlier assault on which failed, with mediocre results.

Attacks on the FsJgr Rgt 1 near Velletri proceed well enough.

General Note: I've checked the German side in the scenario editor. They should definitely be getting huge reinforcements already; I have no idea where these are. Either my opponent has nerves of steel, or his reinforcements are constantly suffering from broken C&C due to the shock and force of the Allied advance or the effect of Allied airpower. But these items shouldn't have such a heavy impact, so I really have no idea. If my opponent doesn't spring a trap or something, this DAR will become quite boring - I intend within one game-day to begin putting together a coherent line across the entire AO and going on the defensive. I won't push on any longer, and will be content with my current and near-future gains.

General Note 2: Don't think that these victories against locally outnumbered Germans have come cheap. I've lost a good regiment so far, in just a couple of days. Thankfully, I'm working with a corps here. The regiment may die ten times, but the corps lives on. The Germans, though? I haven't kept track, but I would suspect something like a division, at least. Still a great success, of course. But if I have my history straight, the Germans outnumbered the Allies at Anzio until May '44/Operation Diadem. Hence, the major reinforcements they should be getting.

General Note 3: Due to the time it takes for near-daily updates to this DAR, and the limited number of Anzio photos suitable for use as header-images, once the defensive line is set up (say, 4-8 turns, unless there are significant developments removing the luxury of time to deploy my formations as I please) I will switch to daily (in game terms) updates - of course, unless the Germans become very active, which would merit a spot-update.
    Last edited by Montmorency; 01-19-2013 at 16:35.
    Vitiate Man.

I've done some arithmetic, and it seems that I've genuinely been destroying the enemy as I've met him - he has no reserves to speak of.

This changes matters. Now, offense is the best defense. The Germans do get a steady river of reinforcements throughout the scenario, and these must not be allowed to build up.

A little-known (???) secret of military affairs, though perhaps obvious when attended to for even a moment, is that the attacker has the advantage merely by dint of being the attacker. While the defender must spread out his forces to cover all possible axes of advance, the attacker may choose where to concentrate his forces. Thus, even a stronger defender may be locally outnumbered by an attacker at a schwerpunkt. Of course, this is modified by many factors including the mobility of the forces involved, the logistics of the attacker, option-limiting terrain (see logistics), the reconnaissance and military intelligence capacity of the defender... but one will readily find that all of these factors favor the attacker in this scenario, and the Germans more so than the Allies. This latter is because the Germans have rail lines leading to most potential areas of defence, as well as proximity to their supply points. The Allies, meanwhile, have their supply points at the beaches, which grow more distant as the beach-head expands. Which is to say that the German logistical situation can only improve (unless I call in the heavy bombers at expense), while mine can only decline (as I advance).

This is also why a mobile reserve for a defender is so critical, and why, when the time inevitably does come to form a continuous line and shift to the defence, I will be keeping only my infantry companies in the front-line. The line will naturally be thinner and looser, but armored or mechanized forces fresh and ready to be committed against drained enemy formations (see below)

Other notes: *Two companies on road-hexes, as roads in this AO, as in many others, must needs be the main axis of any advance for the sake of pace and logistics

*I may yet be forced to begin digging in on the old timetable; most of my units are rather drained, both of munitions and stamina; most have been constantly fighting, and constantly advancing, for nearly two days; if it becomes impossible due to weakness on ,my part or strength/handy maneuvering on the enemy's to eliminate enemy formations as I come across them (which, reiterating the first line of this post, I have managed to do more or less since the landings), I will be forced to halt lest the enemy build up enough fresh reinforcements to overwhelm my own exhausted force.

*For the American sector, on the ideal line I would need at least 20 line-companies of infantry; I have at least 40 suitable, including engineers

*For the British sector, on the ideal line I would need at least 30 line-companies of infantry; I have at least 50 suitable, including engineers, not including British commandos

*Therefore, I have enough, counting future reinforcements, of a double-thick line stretching across most of the map

But this is all stuff to consider when the time comes. Just posting some ruminations...
    Vitiate Man.

TURN 9 (JANUARY 24 PRE-DAWN)

• Allies Take Marino (EEV +1)
    • Allies Take Nemi (EEV +1)

THEATER NOTES

*The EEV is, by my reckoning, at 65 by now: 5 '1s', 3 20s (Aprilia, Cisterna, Osteriacchia); did I fail to mention one or two of these earlier? If you'll check the setup post, you'll see that

Variable Value Victory Chance
    75 ................... 40%
    80 ................... 50%
    85 ................... 65%
    90 ................... 80%
    95 ................... 90%
    99 ................... 95%
    if I capture the entire Alban Hills region from here, I can get up to a 40% shot at Sudden Death. To be honest, I hope, if and when it comes to that, the check fails; it would be a shame to end this so early

*The air-war is running away; intel is that the Germans have gotten several fresh wings into the fight, and it's beginning to tell on my forces - in the last 24 hours, losses have gone from low single digits to 16 aircraft shot down (German losses unknown)! I formerly had three (of five) wings/groups (American groups, British wings, if that wasn't clear) running interdiction missions to interfere with enemy supply, and I'll simply set one of these onto Air Superiority missions; the Germans are still far inferior to me in this anyway. The situation is certainly not dire enough to merit calling in XII ASC, or MATBF, or (gulp) MASAF. Don't forget that the long storms are coming up soon, and I only get the released air support for 3 turns at a time. This applies to the air-support TOs: I will call them in only when the storms have passed and the Germans seem to be getting serious about suppressing the beachhead. Now that would be a storm, and I doubt my opponent could stand up to it (even for that short time). Speaking of...

*My opponent's comment on the situation:

Same Allied storm, ramshackle Axis
    This is Anzio if Lucas had blitzed the Germans; note that Loss Penalties (which fluctuate with the proportion of one force lost, relative to total victory points on map) are extreme at this point: 46 for the Germans, 11 for me. As there are 1000 Victory Points on the map, I take this to mean that the Germans have lost something like 5% of all forces they will ever have in this AO - not bad for 2-days' work. 1% for me, then? But perhaps I misunderstand the mechanic and take away the wrong conclusion... Still, the large disparity in Loss Penalties is self-evident, and that's enough - every point on the Loss Penalty, once balanced against the opponent's, is a point off the Victory tally, so as it stands it's like having a second Cisterna di Latina tucked away...

*Though, as I alluded to earlier, my opponent has been more than eager to meet superior forces head on with whatever he has had at the moment, throwing in reinforcements as soon as he has received them; much earlier, I feared that he might be keeping the majority of his forces in the rear, biding his time, building up - the fear was misplaced. This approach is probably, though, the only correct way to play as the Germans in the event of an aggressive Allied advance - that is, to pull everything back except for a token delaying force, and set up good defensive lines anchored in the hills and mountains (as far away from the enemy as possible while not giving up everything without a fight). My opponent was aggressive, and went on the attack; once that bogged down, he just kept pouring troops into the fight, and this allowed me to, as noted earlier, envelop and destroy piecemeal something like a division's worth. Concentrating in a small area with an inferior force, and going on the offensive to boot - these have been serious errors in my opponent's strategy. But by now I am slowing down, and he is digging in his heels, so perhaps the reinforcements will begin to tell. Something to keep in mind...

*One more notice: this is a turn-based game on the principle of IGOUGO, which means that . There are immediately apparent some problems with this approach as concerns the fidelity of the simulation and certain abstractions, but I'm not really interested in rehashing the subject here. Suffice to say that TOAW deals with these issues tolerably well and what it means for us is that, when I describe "enemy dispositions and actions", the reader should understand that I am referring to movements and combats from the previous turn, which is to say that, if I note an enemy attack in the Turn-X report, the attack took place in the same time interval described by the Turn-(X - 1) report. Does that make sense? Of course, when I literally describe enemy dispositions in a report I am referring to the status of enemy formations and positions held (&c.) at the beginning of the turn named in the title/header.

BRITISH SECTOR

Enemy Dispositions and Actions: Limited enemy attempt to break envelopment. No other movement to be discerned.

Reinforcements: *90th Royal Artillery LAA Rgt; these 6-dozen 40mm & 20mm AA cannons will be used to stiffen my grand defensive line, later on

Maneuvers:

In the gully area, I continue to advance north, reaching as far as Colle di Pini. Meanwhile, some infantry and tankers swing around and move down a gully-road to outflank and in fact totally envelop the two para-pioneer companies blocking me in the ravine N of Bosco Piangimino. After preliminary bombardments by my increasingly irrelevant flotilla, the engineers are forced onto a cliffside and will be easily finished off later. Unfortunately, a Sherman was lost, first of several this turn.

In the center, all enemy forces enveloped. We have trapped here GEN-MAJ Schlemmer, MAJ W. Gericke, a mixed regiment of mostly Fallschirmjaegers, and of course a company of Tigers. We call it the Campoleone Cauldron. Attacks to reduce the pocket(s) successful, and half of the FEBA (Front Edge of Battle Area) Germans in the sector have been wiped out, for 2 armored cars, a Sherman, and a company. That is, half an enemy regiment. Campoleone is still held by a hard core of Italian-make armor and an infantry company, though.

Artillery park resited toward Lanuvio.

Loyals and KSLI move up past the northern extent of the Alban Hills, taking Grottaferrata, Frascati, and Monte Porzio Catone, and setting up pickets on the roads into the hills. Several companies of both stay behind to attack the German Korps HQ in Rocca di Papa, but inexplicably fail after a valiant resistance by a handful of enemy MPs forces the Brits to break off the assault.

C Coy/2 Sherwood Foresters Btn, advancing along the west bank of the Lago di Albano, forces a German Sicherungs (Security) company out of Castel Gandolfo; both sides light casualties.

The situation before second round...

AMERICAN SECTOR

Enemy Dispositions and Actions: The enemy artillery park has not moved on.

Three new enemy units noted, all around Mount Lepini: a PzAufklarungs company of the HG Div, and the extremely powerful "schwere (heavy) Panzerjaeger Abteilung (i.e. Battalion) 525"; looking them up online, it seems they're Nashorns.

Only minor attempts to break the envelopment. I do lose a Sherman to the Nashorns, though.

Maneuvers:

Resite artillery park to Via Appia between Cisterna and Velletri.

The German officers that were all which remained of the lower pocket have finally surrendered.

FsJgr Rgt 1 elements around Velletri nearly enveloped. Attacks around it unsuccessful and costly, losing me most of a company. Attack on the town itself, garrisoned by pioneer coy and FsJgr coy, pushes enemy out. Burgeoning Velletri pockets...

An AAA company wreaks havoc in the artillery (havoc again); their fault for not vacating the area to a safer place. However, the company is now stuck deep behind enemy lines, at least a mile-and-a-half from friendlies.

Completing encirclements around 5 enemy companies. Finishing off two of them, I take heavy losses: the better part of a company. On the second attempt, the Americans push the enemy back while managing to take fewer losses.

Attacking a demi-regiment of the HG Div. 2 miles W of Cori, I lose a company to the enemy platoon. The enemy holds their ground.

The resilient stack SW of Velletri (a battery of SPGs, two battalion HQs, and a regimental HQ, all of the PzGr Rgt 104, which has mostly been destroyed by now) still survives to resist. I finally manage to take out one of the SPGs (a Geschutzwagen), but lose a Sherman in the process.

The situation before second round...

Last edited by Montmorency; 01-22-2013 at 23:24.
    Vitiate Man.

TURN 10 (JANUARY 24 MORNING)

• Storms Ground Both Airforces: Air Shock 25

THEATER NOTES

*As you'll recall:

From January 24th to 26th stormy weather prevented almost any air activity. On the morning of the 24th
    Peter Beach had been closed as the two pontoons had broached in rough sea. X-Ray beach pontoons
    broached on the 26th, but were again operational on the next day. Unloadings at Anzio harbour
    however were not that seriously affected. In the scenario this will have the following effect:
    Both sides will suffer a 25% air shock from turn 10 – 22. Peter Beach's supply unit will be withdrawn
    permanently on turn 10. X-Ray beaches will be closed temporarily from turns 10 – 14 and 18 – 22.
    Weather in the opening phase is historical. After that (after Jan. 26th) it is managed by a weather
    engine, with probabilities for storm/bad weather based on historical weather conditions. Each day
    there is a 40% chance for stormy weather which will last two turns. On storm turns theater recon is set
    to zero and air shock for both sides is 25%, returning to normal on the third turn.
    To reiterate, no Air Support TOs until at least Turn 22. Also, I'm removing my naval support to the deep sea. Don't forget that House Rule I mentioned! In fact, I'm keeping them out permanently, both because only the cruisers now have the range to support in battle, and because it has come to my attention that in WW2 naval-gun support was almost always used within 5km of the shore. Any of you buffs out there able to verify that?

*In my latest dream, I was informed that my image-headers in AARs should be captioned, so: German Fallschirmjaeger POWs carry a wounded British infantryman. That's an invention; the Brit is actually the POW here, going by the real caption on the source site. Pretty cool photo though, huh? The guy's foot is off! Looks like a scene out of a war film.

*As you'll see in the reinforcements listings, I get something like a brigade of US combat engineers; the ones in the British sector will be reassigned to the American, to simplify cooperation (though all combat engineers in this scenario seem to be on "Free Support", meaning no support penalties in combat), and because there is a more pressing need for them in the American sector

BRITISH SECTOR

Enemy Dispositions & Actions: No enemy actions. They are totally defeated here.

Reinforcements: *A Coy/1 Btn/39th Engineer Rgt

*C Coy/1 Btn/36th FA (Field Artillery) Rgt + 1 Btn HQ; this is a battery of Long Toms

*2 Btn/36th CE (Combat Engineer) Rgt + 2 Btn HQ + 36th CE Rgt HQ

*F Coy/2 Btn/540th CE Rgt + 2 Btn HQ

Maneuvers:

Situation after dawn...

All pockets closed. One surviving demi-battalion surrendered outright. The rest went down for only a platoon + Sherman. There are now only two companies remaining to liquidate. Of them, one falls for half of one of my own.

The artillery reinforcement I received, as well as the follow-ons from the battalion, will be based in Lanuvio, not the American sector as applied from my earlier statement. These 155mm cannons, from that central position in the hills will be able to cover literally the entire AO, for all intents and purposes.

Finally, the Tiger thorn-in-my-side has been eliminated. Paratroopers crawled forward and took out all 8 of them for relatively light losses. The tanks couldn't survive forever on intimidation alone, and without infantry-support they were sitting ducks.

Rocca di Papa in the central Albans is finally ours; the Korps HQ has been forced out.

A grievous error with the "trapped" German pioneers: I failed to realize that they have no motorized transport elements. Thus, they were able to easily evade the attackers by moving down the escarpment into the gully, dangerously close to my battalion HQs on the other side.

An isolate flak battery in the path of my main body is devastated.

The lone security company is given a sound beating, though it still lives.

AMERICAN SECTOR

Enemy Dispositions & Actions: Envelopment around Velletri is broken from the east by the intervention of a panzer battalion: Pz Abt 103.

My overextended and cut-off AAA company is left untouched.

A battalion of SPGs and a PzGr company are spotted in the abstracted enemy rear, marked on the map with a red circle.

Reinforcements: *The other two companies of 2 Btn/540th CE Rgt

*1 Btn/540th CE Rgt + the battalion HQ + regimental HQ

Maneuvers:

Situation after dawn...

376th PFA Btn resited nearer to the front.

Recon indicates that, east of Velletri, in addition to the panzer battalion there is a fresh flak battalion.

My gracious AAA company continues to wreak havoc among the enemy artillery, destroying several batteries outright.

Attack to liquidate the 4 trapped companies is successful, but they fight hard: half of one of my own battalions is demolished. Ultimately, there remains a hardened platoon to resist. Perhaps they will come around later.

Attacks to break the enemy line at multiple points and to get at the still-vulnerable artillery not deep in their rear. This is barely successful, and comes at a hefty price.

The stubborn stack near Velletri has finally nearly given way, as only the regimental commander continues to resist, and such a thing is no military hindrance. It's finished, for all intents and purposes. A Sherman was lost in the process, however.

Attacks to liquidate the cut-off elements of the FsJgr Rgt 1 are highly successful, but costly.

Situation

Vitiate Man.

TURN 11 (JANUARY 24 AFTERNOON)

• 2nd Special Service Bde Withdrawn
    • LST carrying C & D Coy/83 CM Btn Sunk By Mine; All Lost
    • Allies Take Campoleone (EEV +1)
    • Allies Take Cori (EEV +1)
    • Allies Take Montecompatri (EEV +1)
    • Allies Take Rocca di Papa (EEV +1)
    • Allies Take Rocca Priora (EEV +1)

BRITISH SECTOR

Enemy Actions & Dispositions: 5 Flak companies come up opposite elements of the 1 KSLI Btn, sitting on the western road into the northern Albans.

Nothing else of note.

Reinforcements: *As noted in the News String, the two British SF formations have been withdrawn

*The other two companies of the 3 Btn/36th CE Rgt + 3rd-Battalion HQ

Maneuvers:

Situation after noon...

Cleaning up the enemy remnants SW of the Albans. They all surrender once they see my tanks except for the para company deep in my rear. It fights on for a while before giving up.

Contain the German para-pioneers for now.

Artillery moves up to Albano.

The Korps HQ in the Albans, though surrounded, puts up a fierce fight and takes out one of my platoons plus a mortar battery. These MPs are quite tough. Finally though, GEN Schlemm falls into Allied hands.

1 KSLI wrecks the enemy Flak, which has no infantry detail to accompany it and so is highly vulnerable to any infantry advance. The companies are chased deep into German territory, and one is even destroyed outright. Of course, I'll soon have to pull these guys back to the planned extent of advance. They've gone so far out that C Coy/1 KSLI has actually crossed the Highway No. 6, which I mentioned in the beginning as not to be accessible under any circumstances other than a German rout. But the Germans do have reserves - while coming to assist in the capture of German Flak, A Coy/1 Loyals Rgt runs into a full regiment of German infantry. This could get ugly...

6 Gordon Highlanders begins to set up the western flank of the planned Grand Line, as little as four miles from Rome itself. Capturing Rome isn't in the plan, however. I'm satisfied with what I've got, and the line should take another day to get in shape.

AMERICAN SECTOR

Enemy Actions & Dispositions: Enemy attack on Velletri is unsuccessful.

Minor attempts to break envelopments W of Mount Lepini. My paratroopers bear the brunt of enemy efforts.

Overall, half a battalion lost to enemy actions in the morning.

Maneuvers:

Situation after noon...

Another mess made of the enemy artillery park.

Enemy around Velletri enveloped, including the Panzer and Flak battalions. An attack SE of Velletri is launched too soon, and without artillery support; thankfully, it does not turn out to be a bloody disaster. The enemy hold, but I only lose a platoon to the enemy platoon. The follow-on, with proper support, is quite bloody for me though successful.

The platoon remaining in the pocket from the morning is finally accepting the surrender.

The surrounded Nashorn company (surrounded this afternoon) is attacked by my Shermans. The result is catastrophic. The tanks are beaten off, losing 6 Shermans for none of the 12 Nashorns. Not being ones to take a hint, the Ami tankers charge in once more. This time, though the count of fallen rises to 12 Shermans, 4 Nashorns are eliminated. On the third attempt, infantry of L Coy/3 Btn/15th Rgt support; while the tanks cover for them, they advance and easily take out the 8 remaining Nashorns for no losses.

Engineers move up. This strong force should give me enough to eliminate all presently-engaged enemy formations within a day.

More attacks to envelop main mass of enemy force in the sector. One of them, on the second company of Nashorns, is a bloody repulse in which I lose a platoon. Trying again, this time with TD (Tank Destroyer) support, is no good, and half a company plus a platoon of M10s go down, though half the Nashorns are destroyed. The most successful attack is one in which a battalion is encircled (near the doomed Nashorns) and destroyed entirely for half a company.

Aerial recon detects a full four Panzer companies in Lariano, 3 miles NE of Velletri. These will likely be sufficient to break the envelopment.

That one HQ in my rear continues to evade capture.

Last edited by Montmorency; 01-26-2013 at 21:09.
    Vitiate Man.

TURN 12 (JANUARY 24 NIGHT)

BRITISH SECTOR

Enemy Actions & Dispositions: The infantry-stack SE of Rome mostly dispersed, and one fresh infantry battalion was thrown against my forward companies and pushed back some of the Loyals men.

Further east, in the northern Albans, two battalions of panzergrenadiers have been released, one of them SS. Thankfully, my troops there are currently spread out on what would have been near-enough to the preferred axis of defence.

Maneuvers:

Situation after dusk...

Setting up the line: half-way there. I will have two mobile-reserve groups: the 46th Royal Tank Rgt stationed N of Falcognana, and the 1st Recon Rgt around Frattochie. This way, armored support is never more than 6 hours away, for the British sector.

Extracting forward elements. One company of the Loyals was unresponsive and had to be abandoned to the wolves. Had this occurred in the actual battle, a senior officer would likely have lost his head for abandoning a whole company in so cavalier a fashion. Yet, the greater good demands it. To save this company, it would be necessary to bring the entire British division north toward Rome, nearly to the northern map-edge. That would require a revamp of strategy for the entire beachhead...

The British line will have to stretch only to Montecompatri. I underestimated the requirements. Fortunately, American strength should be enough to make up for it.

AMERICAN SECTOR

Enemy Actions & Dispositions: The panzer battalion held in reserve near Lariano has been committed against the eastern edge of the envelopment, but no attempt was made to break out, though certainly the dozen M5 tanks holding down the road would have been no match for dozens of German tanks coming from both sides.

Maneuvers:

Situation after dusk...

More wrecking of the German artillery.

All enemies pocketed in this sector, excluding the aforementioned panzer battalion. Reduction will likely proceed until the next afternoon. West of Mt. Lepini, we have trapped a brigade-sized Kampfgruppe, including an artillery regiment. Of these, over 50% are eliminated for a half a regiment and 2 M10s. In the Velletri Pocket, we have a panzer battalion, a flak battalion, and a mixed infantry battalion. Of these, almost all are destroyed - including 3 dozen of 40+ tanks - for less than a battalion and 5 tanks.

Swinging around the fresh panzer battalion through Lariano, the recently arrived engineers encounter a stack containing an arty battalion, a pioneer company, HQs, and other support elements.

2 Btn/540th CE Rgt sets up defensive works on or along the road north of Giulianello, marking the first elements of the grand defensive line to be set in place in this sector. Btn/36th CE Rgt sets up west of it, around the Velletri Gap.

The HQ in my rear perdures.

Vitiate Man.

Opponent's hung up on personal matters; game's been on hold and may continue to be so indefinitely.
    Vitiate Man.

Member thankful for this post:

Dark Lord of Sith Member Big Bird Hunting Champion, Squid Hunter Champion, Simpsons Shooter Champion, Fun Surfing Champion Darth Feather's Avatar

can't believe I missed this till now. Great story so far
    Nathaniël of the mouse guard

"Death is lighter than a feather, duty is heavier than a mountain" - Robert Jordan

The writer of above message is not responsible for any mistakes in the reasoning of said message.