Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: The Resistance! [Concluded]

Default Re: The Resistance! [IN PLAY]

They don't sound natural, they sound forced.

Anyway, I vote Visor, Df, Bray, jarema, makrell

Dark Lord of Sith Member Big Bird Hunting Champion, Squid Hunter Champion, Simpsons Shooter Champion, Fun Surfing Champion Darth Feather's Avatar

I DO VOTE THE SAME. WE WILL DESTROY THE EMPIRE AND MAKE THE ETERNAL GALACTIC UNION OF UNITED FEDERATIONS.
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    Nathaniël of the mouse guard

"Death is lighter than a feather, duty is heavier than a mountain" - Robert Jordan

The writer of above message is not responsible for any mistakes in the reasoning of said message.

Quote Originally Posted by Visorslash View Post
    They don't sound natural, they sound forced.

Anyway, I vote Visor, Df, Bray, jarema, makrell
    It's because I don't have a lot of time to post and I am being as blunt as possible. And it's not like there wasn't significant public opposition to the proposal. Failure of the proposal was quite likely. I wouldn't doubt some disapprove votes from the spies to further confuse the issue.
    Always meet on the level, act by the plumb and part on the square.
    2B1ASK1

Dark Lord of Sith Member Big Bird Hunting Champion, Squid Hunter Champion, Simpsons Shooter Champion, Fun Surfing Champion Darth Feather's Avatar

NEGATIVE. IF THE SPIES WOULD HAVE AGREED THE MISSION WOULD HAVE GONE TROUGH AND THE EMPIRE WOULD BE VICTORIOUS. WHY CONFUSE IF YOU CAN WIN?

"Death is lighter than a feather, duty is heavier than a mountain" - Robert Jordan

The writer of above message is not responsible for any mistakes in the reasoning of said message.

Therefore, in my best judgement, this last final, decisive team... whose actions will define our future generations... whose deeds will either usher in a new age of freedom and uncertainty, or cement a future of tyranny and oppression... this team, bound for glory or cursed with failure... shall be...
    B_Ray
    Jarema
    Darth Feather
    Visorslash
    Makrell

Send your votes gentlemans

APPROVAL HAS BEEN SENT.

OOC: or actually in another character: May the force be with us

Plagiarism approved!

There is a spy on that list. If it is approved the mission will fail. Mark my words.
    2B1ASK1

Words marked.

Quote Originally Posted by Makrell View Post
    Therefore, in my best judgement, this last final, decisive team... whose actions will define our future generations... whose deeds will either usher in a new age of freedom and uncertainty, or cement a future of tyranny and oppression... this team, bound for glory or cursed with failure... shall be...
    B_Ray
    Jarema
    Darth Feather
    Visorslash
    Makrell

Send your votes gentlemans
    APPROVE
    (MAKRELL)
    DARTH FEATHER
    B_RAY
    JAREMA
    EDSE
    CHAOTIX
    VISORSLASH

OPPOSE

BSmith

Mission 5 is GO! - If you are on the Team and have not yet posted me your orders please do so immediately!

Good job spies.
    2B1ASK1

Quote Originally Posted by Makrell View Post
    Coincidentally - my dad, may he rest in peace, played on that little ditty with the LSO. *Proud*

Well I'm perplexed.

I have a complete set of orders. Write up to follow. (This will be at least 2 hours from now)

B_RAY jacked out of the Imperial terminal and gave a quick - if nervous - smile at his Team mates. They sprinted to the edge of the shaft and pulled the G.I. facemasks from their packs and hastily put them on. Already wearing the body armour of the Empire, four of the team now looked exactly like Imperial Troopers, and the fifth - well until his digital re-birth, he had been an Imperial Trooper - albeit a Biotic one.

MAKRELL gave the thumbs up and they split ways - two groups making for the control tower by separate routes: MAKRELL and DARTH FEATHER taking the service conduit and the other three marching straight past the main hangar. As soon as the diversions kicked off they would have their chance.

10 minutes and two incredibly large explosions later and B_RAY had forced the door to the Control room open. JAREMA and VISORSLASH ran through the doors, blasting and shouting as they did so: Two troopers hit the deck and the various techsperts implanted at their stations gazed in open mouthed shock, as the three resistance members took the supervisor under their control at gun point.

B_RAY knelt beside the Supervisors console and began the process of over-riding the Imperial protocols and uploading the Resistance breakers to the mainframe of the Orbital Base.

There was a sudden flash of sparks and JAREMA twirled to see B_RAY's head snap back as a blaster shot blew him away from the console. She raised her blaster and fired as the large bulk of DARTH FEATHER, minus his head, was bundled into the control room followed by a platoon of Imperial G.I.s

VISORSLASH gave a strangled cry of anguish and made to pull something from his pack, but was hit by a barrage of blaster fire before he could withdraw his hand - his pack flashing briefly white as it detonated with him on top of it, blowing him to smithereens and taking two rows of data entry clerks with him. A second volley and JAREMA was cut down by blaster fire. 30 seconds after taking the control room, the Resistance was dead.

MAKRELL stalked slowly into the room as the smoke cleared; security and maintenance droids rushing to secure the remains of the intruders and to extinguish the various fires which had sprung up. Pulling his facemask off gingerly he mopped at his fresh pink skin - still growing back after his crashlanding on Orgarhh back when he'd helped Mission Two to fail. He gave a tight smile and counted his lucky stars that he would be the only one of the Team to survive.

Back in the Operations bunker at Resistance HQ. Alarms sounded and Lazy McCrow grimaced - hurriedly stuffing her personal possessions into a holdall while she listened to instructions from high command.

Given the ultimate failure of the Resistance in the sector, McCrow had assumed she would be destroyed, along with the remaining traitors, but it seemed that High Command had other plans for her, and so she resolved to put the past - and this godawful snafu - behind her as soon as she could get on board the shuffle.

Around the table. BSMITH just shook his head. Both EDSE and CHAOTIX smiled, closed their eyes and - safe in the knowledge that they had played their part in thwarting the Resistance in their system - happily waited to die.

IMPERIAL VICTORY!

BSmith
    Jarema
    Chaotix
    Darth Feather
    edse
    B_Ray
    Makrell
    Visorslash

I'd be grateful to hear any feedback about the game, what you felt worked - what didn't and what you might change to improve it. I shall put forward my own thoughts on the game in the next few days.

Thank you all very much for playing.

Goddamnit. I kept saying they were scum, but I never listened to myself.

Well crap. That was quite fun, a welcome change of pace from mafia. Thanks for hosting it McCrow!

So, I have to ask, Chaotix and edse, why didn't you vote to accept the team proposal the first time it came up?? And BSmith, I apologize for writing you off, but the evidence certainly seemed to implicate you more than Makrell. To the rest of the Resistance, sorry for supporting Makrell so adamantly. It really did seem like the right choice at the time.

I really like the fact that there's no elimination from the game. You can focus on solving the game without worrying about getting killed off and becoming a non-factor. Also makes it extra challenging that you can't prove a player's allegiance. I like it a lot, though, and would be up for any future games of this sort. Not sure what adjustments, if any, I would make.

I know what adjustment the resistance should have done. We should've used Mission 4 as a test, rather then just sending cleared townies. Put Chaotix and Bsmith in. You need to take risks to win this game it seems.

EDIT: Thanks McCrow for hosting the game, I enjoyed it.
    Last edited by Visor; 02-10-2013 at 02:59.

Senior Member Senior Member Jarema's Avatar

It was very funny game. I want to play something like that once more!

It has advantages of mini mafia (small number of players so I can manage some analysis) and do not have its drawbacks (after 1 or 2 kills it is over because there is so low number of players)
    Last edited by Jarema; 02-10-2013 at 07:29.

Quote Originally Posted by B_Ray View Post

So, I have to ask, Chaotix and edse, why didn't you vote to accept the team proposal the first time it came up??
    I personally saw it as too risky. Darth Feather could have opposed the mission and then the game would be over if Makrell, Chaotix and me were the only ones approving.

THIS WAS REALLY FUN. THANKS FOR HOSTING LAZYMCCROW.

WUHU

i was quite certain we would lose, but then we didnt very fun :)

I and the rest of the empire had trouble coordinating when there is no out of thread communicating.

Dont know how to change things its simplicity is great

The Bad Doctor Senior Member Chaotix's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by B_Ray View Post
    Well crap. That was quite fun, a welcome change of pace from mafia. Thanks for hosting it McCrow!

So, I have to ask, Chaotix and edse, why didn't you vote to accept the team proposal the first time it came up?? And BSmith, I apologize for writing you off, but the evidence certainly seemed to implicate you more than Makrell. To the rest of the Resistance, sorry for supporting Makrell so adamantly. It really did seem like the right choice at the time.

I really like the fact that there's no elimination from the game. You can focus on solving the game without worrying about getting killed off and becoming a non-factor. Also makes it extra challenging that you can't prove a player's allegiance. I like it a lot, though, and would be up for any future games of this sort. Not sure what adjustments, if any, I would make.
    After my mistake and you guys knew I was a spy, I thought it best to oppose all mission proposals so you couldn't glean any information about who my teammates were.

I thought the last mission would go through even with my opposition, but I was wrong. So when I saw the chance to win with this mission, I had to make sure it would pass this time. I knew BSmith would be opposing it.
    Keep your friends close, and your enemies closer: The Gameroom

I think this was a great game. No real feedback, other than I'd like to see more of the kind. My only regret was not being able to be online all that much during the end phase of the game to be able to post more of my thoughts.
    2B1ASK1

I'm glad the overall impression seems to be that its worth playing again. It's got a different feel to it than mafia, and its funny, the lack of 'elimination' is actually quite misleading. For example, Chaotix - despite being 'alive' had his role reduced as he said to simply opposing everything - doesn't strike me as much fun really. In a game of mafia, being dead really shouldn't be the game-ender it is for a lot of players - including myself!

Because the spies simply cannot interact without drawing attention to themselves The Resistance! feels like it has a bit more 'random' to it than mafia. If the first Mission proposal includes three Spies - what the hell do the spies do? - opposing it might seem weird, but allowing it to go ahead could also spell carnage! three 'Mission FAIL' orders, and its the one and only failed mission that would happen. I don't know - maybe its a good thing!

I'm glad it seemed to go down as well as I hoped it would. I'm certainly tempted to host again. Incidentally, here are the relevant numbers supplied with the game:

Number of: PLAYERS / RESISTANCE / SPIES
    5 / 3 / 2
    6 / 4 / 2
    7 / 4 / 3
    8 / 5 / 3
    9 / 6 / 3
    10 / 6 / 4

No. of Players: 5 / 6 / 7 / 8 / 9 / 10

1st Mission Team: 2 / 2 / 2 / 3 / 3 / 3
    2nd Mission Team: 3 / 3 / 3 / 4 / 4 / 4
    3rd Mission Team: 2 / 4 / 3 / 4 / 4 / 4
    4th Mission Team: 3 / 3 / 4 / 5 / 5 / 5 (Needs 2 Fail orders to fail)
    5th Mission Team: 3 / 4 / 4 / 5 / 5 / 5

Suggested variants include Blind Spies, which might be worth using if you had a high spy/resistance ratio, but I think would eliminate a bit of fun, as it does feel more than random enough already. Also Targeting which I quite like the look of in which 'The Leader proposes both the Mission and the Team. Each Mission can only be attempted once and the 5th Mission can only be attempted after two mission have been successful'

There are also a slew of 'Power' cards which give the equivalent of mafia roles to players and obviously skew the game even further out of any semblance of balance! - but might be fun to try

There is apparently a King Arthur themed version including loads of roles, but I think that would probably be less translatable to internet / cross-timezone play

Anyway - thanks again for playing and for your responses.

Moderator! This game is CONCLUDED
    Last edited by LazyMcCrow; 02-12-2013 at 10:22.

Senior Member Senior Member Jarema's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by LazyMcCrow View Post
    Targeting which I quite like the look of in which 'The Leader proposes both the Mission and the Team. Each Mission can only be attempted once and the 5th Mission can only be attempted after two mission have been successful'
    It seems interesting, and it seems especially well suited for writing some stories about it. Would be fun!
    Quote Originally Posted by LazyMcCrow View Post
    There are also a slew of 'Power' cards which give the equivalent of mafia roles to players and obviously skew the game even further out of any semblance of balance! - but might be fun to try
    tbh, I would rather play another 'vanilla resistance' game. Roles are good when base game is played few times

Quote Originally Posted by Jarema View Post
    It seems interesting, and it seems especially well suited for writing some stories about it. Would be fun!

tbh, I would rather play another 'vanilla resistance' game. Roles are good when base game is played few times
    Agreed. I think I'll probably keep it all vanilla until players are familiar/comfortable. The 'Plot Cards' in the Resistance work slightly differently to Roles in mafia, in that the 'Leader' is dealt Plot Cards face down (i.e., through PM). The number of plot cards depends on the number of players, and they come several different types:

The first two types are used immediately by the Leader, or used immediately by whoever the leader passes it to . The other two types are handed by the leader to other players and either have a permanent effect or are a one time use, whenever the player decides to use it.

Examples include:

Overheard Conversation: - Use Immediately - The player to whom the leader passes this card must look at the character card of one adjacent player

or

In the Spotlight - One time use - The player to whom the leader passes this card must use this card to force a player to play their Mission Card face up. (SUCCEED or FAIL orders would be submitted publicly in the thread, or I would post how that player ordered in the thread) This is played before the Mission Team have submitted their orders.

I would keep it vanilla for a while. When the game is limited to five rounds to begin with, I'm not sure that adding complexity is necessarily a good type of variety. Roles and such work well in mafia because they tend to be much larger, longer games with a great amount of private communication. I think the beauty of this game is that everything happens in the open, and even the infiltrators cannot discuss anything in secret.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456