Thread: Thread link not working

Blog Entries

Default Thread link not working

hey im having a little problem which i shall explain using the following images basicaly when i click on that thread it should direct me to that topic but it redirects me to that screen saying that its an invalid link

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	help 2.PNG 
Views:	139 
Size:	210.2 KB 
ID:	8559

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	help.PNG 
Views:	149 
Size:	211.4 KB 
ID:	8560
    Last edited by Hamata; 02-09-2013 at 19:18.

Bureaucratically Efficient Senior Member TinCow's Avatar

Default Re: Thread link not working

What browser are you using? Does it happen with any other threads?

Blog Entries

using ie 9 and this is the first time it's happend to me

Try the thread now.

Sovereign Oppressor Member TIE Fighter Shooter Champion, Turkey Shoot Champion, Juggler Champion Kralizec's Avatar

I had the exact same issue, same thread and also with IE 9. It did work later on Chrome, but that was another PC.

I am using IE 9 again now and the problem seems to be gone.

It's a problem with special characters in the thread name, which translate into special characters in the URL. Some browsers have issues with that, and it's a problem I've had to deal with before on the site. There's no easy automated solution because changing settings with either cause problems for some people or disable some features. So, the best solution is just to make sure that threat titles don't include special characters. In the case of the TWR2 thread, the problem was being caused by some kind of unusual hyphen. I just replaced that character with a colon and that resolved the problem. If you encounter issues with other threads, please let me know and I'll edit the title in a similar way.

Member thankful for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by TinCow View Post
    It's a problem with special characters in the thread name, which translate into special characters in the URL. Some browsers have issues with that, and it's a problem I've had to deal with before on the site. There's no easy automated solution because changing settings with either cause problems for some people or disable some features.
    Dunno how much work this would be, but you could change the forum links to strip characters past the thread ID (number) in the URLs. That would work, because the forum only needs the number (old vB style forum links still work, too). I.e showthread.php?ID-here or showthread.php?t=ID-here both work.

It goes without saying that people can use the same approach to manually fix links/URLs.
    - Tellos Athenaios
    CUF tool - XIDX - PACK tool - SD tool - EVT tool - EB Install Guide - How to track down loading CTD's - EB 1.1 Maps thread

ὁ δ᾽ ἠλίθιος ὣσπερ πρόβατον βῆ βῆ λέγων βαδίζει” – Kratinos in Dionysalexandros.

Yes, that is possible. However it negatively impacts search engine indexing. If the problem was epidemic I would certainly choose that route over the current one, but it seems to be very rare and most of the incidents we've noticed have been traced back to Lemur. We have flogged the man heavily for his sins and that should help reduce the issue further. A few threads a year can be edited manually without much complaint.