Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: [CK2] Equality and Balance

The Abominable Senior Member Hexxagon Champion Monk's Avatar

Default [CK2] Equality and Balance

Equality and Balance
    A modification for Crusader Kings 2

Description:

This is a continuation and logical progression of Tweaks Mod, which was born out of a desire for greater playability among different genders as well as minor balance concerns. My original vision for this modding effort was fulfilled around three versions ago, and so I turned to tackling other annoying issues that I saw with vanilla.

The goal of this mod is to attempt to strike a balance between keeping the basic structure of vanilla the same, but changing just enough to give the player way more options in how they play. Not an easy thing to do and remain a small, lightweight mod, and yet that is also one of the goals! If you are tired of the Fatimids invading Greece by 1070 in every single game but don't want to download a huge overhaul mod, this is definitely the mod for you. Well. Maybe!

Feature List:

• Expanded options for women in the council, events and ambitions.
    • Fatimid Civil War. The Caliph must earn his place in the world.
    • Expanded succession options for non-Muslim powers.
    • Women may now demand a title from their dynasty head, or their liege.
    • Completely rebuilt Iberia from the ground up to provide different possible outcomes. No longer a muslim steamroll, neither a christian one.
    • Rebalanced Norway's starting retinues of Harald. Norway must now fight hard and be smart if they hope to win the prize of England.
    • Tied the Muslim Invasion CB directly into decadence requirements. Only the truly devout may declare an invasion.
    • Restrictions placed on the Emperor of the HRE regarding crown law, and the ability to expand into the baltic.
    • Removed restrictions on the ruler designer. Create a ruler with the traits you want.
    • Various new events, allowing you to interact with the people of your realm.

changelog:here

Download it here. ---- Compatible with paradox patch 1.103

Screenshots:
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

I tested extensively but if I've screwed up and let a bug through, do not hesitate to post here and tell me. I'll get right on a hotfix.
    Last edited by Monk; 07-14-2013 at 03:29.

Members thankful for this post (4):

Member Member Alexander the Pretty Good's Avatar

Default Re: [CK2] Equality and Balance

Just when I thought I was out* they pull me back in...

*on a EU3 kick, to be honest
    Last edited by Alexander the Pretty Good; 02-24-2013 at 14:49.

Member thankful for this post:

Monk 

First and foremost I would like to say thank you for putting this together. The extra effort you put into Iberia is immensely appreciated. I personally enjoy the portion of the map because of the engaging turmoil of the region. Your modification made it pleasantly enjoyable.

I was wondering if any one could point me in the direction of how I can modify holdings in provinces. I ask because I would like to mod for one, just starting out really, but I would like to do AAR's and I would like to make a few modifications to enhance my back drop for a story. However every time I reverse engineer the txt files for holdings I just get a greyed out box. Any links would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in Advance.

Monk 

Quote Originally Posted by amega View Post
    First and foremost I would like to say thank you for putting this together. The extra effort you put into Iberia is immensely appreciated. I personally enjoy the portion of the map because of the engaging turmoil of the region. Your modification made it pleasantly enjoyable.

I was wondering if any one could point me in the direction of how I can modify holdings in provinces. I ask because I would like to mod for one, just starting out really, but I would like to do AAR's and I would like to make a few modifications to enhance my back drop for a story. However every time I reverse engineer the txt files for holdings I just get a greyed out box. Any links would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in Advance.

I am glad you enjoy my efforts. I like to think I am helping the game reach it's potential just a bit. It is never fun as a player to be limited to where you can and cannot play due to overbalanced game mechanics. As for your question:

Messing around with holdings isn't that difficult but can be a little time consuming if you aren't careful. It took up a lot of the early portion of this mod, i think I spent a month or so just removing one holding at a time in Iberia, watching how it affected balance. Talk about tedious. Before we begin you may want to install notepad++ or turn off your operating system's tendency to hide file extensions. It will make modding SO much easier, trust me. Both can be found through a simple google search. Notepad++ is a free coding program which will save your eyes from a lot of strain.

Anyway. GO to C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Crusader Kings II\history\provinces (i have steam, it may be slightly different if you have gamersgate version) and locate the file you want to mess with. Each of these files represents a province on the game map and tells the engine how to interact with it. As an example lets look at Oxford.

# 22 - Oxford

# County Title
    title = c_oxford

# Settlements
    max_settlements = 5
    b_reading = castle
    b_buckingham = castle
    b_oxford = city
    b_abingdon = temple

#b_banbury = castle
    #b_aylesbury = castle
    #b_eynsham = castle
    #b_wallingford = castle

# Misc
    culture = saxon
    religion = catholic

# History
    1100.11.11 = { culture = english }

Any line that has a # is a comment line and can be ignored, the engine will not read these lines. Here's a short explanation of what we're looking at:

county_title: This tells the game engine which title file to look into when linking this province to a title. 'c_oxford' has a corresponding file in the titles folder, but we can ignore that for this.
    max_settelments: This is how many settlements the province can hold by default. Have you ever noticed that some places have only one vacant holding, but others have something like 6? This little modifier is why.
    b_reading = castle: These are the actual holdings within the province itself, in this case, the Barony of Reading is identified as a castle and is the primary settlement for this county. Make sure that the first in this list is always castle, or it will change the title to a republic or prince-bishopric.

Every holding within the file that does not have a # mark in front of it will be read by the engine and created at the start of the game. Right now, Oxford starts with 4 holdings, one in the primary slot and three below that as baronies. If you wanted to tell the game to load more baronies for oxford it would literally be as simple as removing the hashtag, making sure you're not over the "max settlement" value and simply running the game.

If you want to add in a new custom barony, well, that's slightly trickier. But not impossible!

# 22 - Oxford

# County Title
    title = c_oxford

# Settlements
    max_settlements = 5
    b_reading = castle
    b_buckingham = castle
    b_oxford = city
    b_abingdon = temple
    b_gotham = city

#b_banbury = castle
    #b_aylesbury = castle
    #b_eynsham = castle
    #b_wallingford = castle

# Misc
    culture = saxon
    religion = catholic

# History
    1100.11.11 = { culture = english }

Marked by bold I've added a new custom city, in this case, Gotham, but you can name it what you want really. Save and close the file.

Now that we've told the province our city is there, we need to tell the game's title system it's there too. If we don't, our new custom city won't show up and we will be treated to just an empty box. Next stop is landed_titles.

Go to: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Crusader Kings II\common\landed_titles

Open the file up in notepad and do a control + f to search for c_oxford. This will take us directly to where Oxford is in here. Your search should bring you to something that looks very close to this.

c_oxford = {
    color={ 255 115 15 }
    color2={ 255 255 255 }

b_oxford = {
    }
    b_wallingford = {
    }
    b_abingdon = {
    }
    b_buckingham = {
    }
    b_banbury = {
    }
    b_reading = {
    }
    b_aylesbury = {
    }
    b_eynsham = {
    }
    }

We wanna change that by adding in our custom barony,m a simple paste and tidying up later...

c_oxford = {
    color={ 255 115 15 }
    color2={ 255 255 255 }

b_oxford = {
    }
    b_wallingford = {
    }
    b_abingdon = {
    }
    b_buckingham = {
    }
    b_banbury = {
    }
    b_reading = {
    }
    b_aylesbury = {
    }
    b_eynsham = {
    }
    b_gotham ={
    }

}
    }

And we're done! Save and close the file.

The next step is localisation, as without it, Gotham will appear in our game as b_gotham. Not very interesting. Localisation will allow us to tell the game engine what we want that file to show up as.

Go to C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Crusader Kings II\localisation

Create a new file and name it whatever you want, for the purpose of this, I named it gotham, but you could easily name it "mylocalisation" and fill it with all localisation calls for your personal mods. The game doesn't care what the file's name is. Make sure the file saves as a .csv.

Here is what the localisation should look like:

#CODE;ENGLISH;FRENCH;GERMAN;;SPANISH;;;;;;;;;x
    b_gotham;Gotham;;;;;;;;;;;;;x

Save and close. Boot up your game.. and, well, that's really all there is to it.

Happy modding.
    Last edited by Monk; 02-21-2013 at 23:13. Reason: spelling errors

Next version is the final release before The Old Gods. I am done messing with it, all I need to do is play it a bit and make sure I haven't broken things that I didn't mean to break.

I figured out how to give women armor and to force armor on anyone commanding an army, which has been bugging me for the longest time. Yes, you're a king, but put your armor on for god's sake! It's a small change but it's a very good one imo (that could be my motto for this mod)!

I have also put final touches on the Fatimid start. Each 'contender' now has a little retinue of troops tied directly to them that functions much like William the Bastard's retinues do, only far smaller. These forces are more than enough to ensure the start is incredibly volatile for the Caliph, and make the ensuring civil war even bloodier. I wanna test it some more but so far it's been a fun change.

I don't know if I will mess with the Byzantine or Seljuk starts much. I know they are the strongest factions at the 1066 date but they effectively civil war for the first 50 years of gameplay from what I see. Making any changes to their current balance without destroying them would be problematic.

At any rate. Thank you everyone who has downloaded and played this new version of the mod. It's quite humbling to know people enjoy my particular flavor of CK2. Here's looking toward the next version and starting the balance cycle all over again with a new start date!
    Last edited by Monk; 02-22-2013 at 21:49.

Monk...
    I am moved, your help was above and beyond the call. You are by the bottom of my heart "a cut above the rest" Thank you very much.
    Last edited by amega; 02-24-2013 at 16:57.

!!! NEW RELEASE !!!

Version 1.0 (that's almost twice the number of the previous version!)

Remember to delete old versions completely before installing new ones!

Changelog:
    -------v1.0-----------

*Women of exceptional skill may now wear the armor that Paradox so kindly made for them.

*Armor is now automatically applied to all characters in command of armies.

*Raised the threshold needed for high martial characters to wear their armor when not in command. Now requires martial 20.

*Muslim women may no longer command armies, nor can they wear armor.

*Final Fatimid rebalances:

-Emirs of Aswan, Damietta, Sinai and Damascas begin the game with levies specially tied to their characters.

-These levies function exactly like those used by William the Bastard and Harald of Norway

*Massive Longbow Volley tactic has been rebalanced.

-Now provides a 320% increase to light-infantry attack, up from the previous 120% nerf.

-Can now only be used by very talented commanders, 14 martial along with proper culture is required

*Mongol Retreat and Ambush tactic has been rebalanced

-Now requires a martial skill of 12 to be considered a viable tactic.

Notes about this version:

It's been almost 10 months since i started modding CK2. In that time my original inspiration for this series of mods has evolved from simply wanting the ability to have a woman chancellor to a more balanced and stable vanilla experience without the need for a huge overhaul mod. Balance through practical, lightweight and simple means was the name of the game from day one, and I like to think I've kept true to that since I started. It's with no small bit of pride that I present what I consider the final, feature complete version of my mod: Version 1.0, and with it the final tweaks for the 1066 start date.

Armor and female commanders:

The blacksmiths of Europe and the Mid-East have been working at full capacity to give every character a full set of armor! No longer is the wearing of armor restricted to high martial men. Anyone who has a high martial skill (threshold set to 20) may now wear armor outside the battlefield, and everyone wears it while leading troops. Women never wear helms, however, as the basic helm Paradox made was meant for male characters. It simply does not look right when sitting on female portraits. Without making a new one there's not much I can do there.

Muslim women can no longer lead troops on the battlefield. This was a bit of an oversight initially, but in practice it turned out to be a "get out of decadence free" card for any Muslim dynasty. Since unlanded women do not contribute to decadence it felt really overpowered to allow them to lessen it by fighting in battles. For lack of a better solution, Muslim women can no longer serve as commanders no matter how capable. Women of other religions can still command provided they have exceptional ability.

Fatimid changes:

The vassals of the Fatimid Caliph now control significant portions of his army. This will now hopefully simulate the historic ethnic tension that nearly tore the Caliphate apart at the game start and is accomplished by using a system similar to the one already in use by the game. The same system that William the Bastard and Harald Hardrada use for their invasion forces is what the caliph vassals use for their civil war forces. This, combined with the previous changes to the mamluks, provides for a much more difficult position for the Caliph at the start of the game.

Two wars are now very common to see in the early years of the game. A war for control of the throne of Egypt, which then inspires spiraling independence wars. The system in place is very dynamic and can go a huge number of ways, as beyond the coding of characters and army strength, I have included no behavior scripts to tell the AI what to do. I simply let it do what comes natural. Do not be surprised if in some games the Caliph defeats his usurpers, while in others he falls. The trend leads to a much weakened Sultanate of Egypt from my observations, and holding together the Fatimid dynasty through decadence and betrayals is now a feat to behold.

Tactics:

I've only attempted to balance two cultural tactics in my mod because, from my perspective, these are the only tactics which can serve to radically alter game balance. Mongol and English tactics were far too good before I touched them, and now, they require at least a bit of 'skill' on the part of your characters for them to be as effective. Longbow tactics got lowered a bit too far in the previous release, I think, as the base volley that anyone can use is a 300% increase. Longbows now enjoy 320% effectiveness but require a very talented commander to coordinate. Mongol tactics now require a talented commander of 12 martial to use, rather than just any idiot with a bow.

New Screenshots:

Future Plans:

Hard to say, beyond a few radical ideas and hidden quest chains I'd love to implement, I've done all I want to with modding CK2. I plan to keep this mod series updated with future paradox patches and am eager to see what new interesting gameplay mechanics Old Gods bring. If that requires some balancing, I'll be sure to give it a go.

I tested thoroughly but as always if I find a bug later I'll hotfix it as soon as I can. If you find a bug, please don't hesitate to tell me. My contact information is in the readme, I would also welcome bug reports here in this thread.

Thank you for the continued support and interest.

Quote Originally Posted by amega
    Monk...
    I am moved, your help was above and beyond the call. You are by the bottom of my heart "a cut above the rest" Thank you very much.
    Thank you. It was my pleasure, I was happy to help.
    Last edited by Monk; 03-06-2013 at 10:33.

Members thankful for this post (2):

!!! NEW RELEASE !!!

Version 1.01

Download Here. -- Compatible with paradox patch 1.091

Minor bug squash update.

changelog:

-------v1.01----------

*fixed Casus Belli strange behavior for Catholic Holy War

Notes about this version:

Discovered a really odd bug allowing holy wars to be declared on Orthodox characters if you were Catholic. After declaration, the war would just end instantly, netting you nothing but wasted time, piety and a free cooldown modifier for your trouble. I think i misplaced an OR = tag in the last update that caused the oddity.

Normal behavior should not allow the holy war CB to be used against Orthodox rulers at all if you're catholic.

Fixed now.

Update should be save game compatible with previous version, only thing that was changed was the CB file.
    Last edited by Monk; 03-06-2013 at 10:11.

Thanks for the updates. I have been playing and having fun with this mod for awhile now (only Ireland though). The new armor looks really nice, esp. for women who used to go to battle in dresses, which looked a bit strange.

Monk 

Glad you're still enjoying the mod series xploring.

Quote Originally Posted by xploring View Post
    Thanks for the updates. I have been playing and having fun with this mod for awhile now (only Ireland though). The new armor looks really nice, esp. for women who used to go to battle in dresses, which looked a bit strange.
    I know right? Forcing armor for commanders is such a simple change I am surprised more mods don't do it. If i had to guess, it's likely because the actual variable is a bit hidden away. Found it after a bit of searching in the interface files.

It took some experimenting to get it right but it was well worth it

New dev diary was released for The Old Gods, and in the thread Doomdark revealed there will be around 7 (!) Dev diaries. That puts the expansion's release around the end of May, far longer than I thought!

I've been messing around with the tyranny system. Nothing major, but in the next update you'll have legitimate reasons to banish people. Whoa! Put down those pitchforks, I promise it doesn't destroy balance let me explain!

Execution and banishment are seen as tyrannical true, but I can think of one big event that might change everyone's mind... a kinslaying.

Killing members of your own dynasty (and getting caught..) is a huge taboo in the world of Crusader Kings, so much so that if you get caught you get a -really- nasty trait. One that require Papal intervention to get rid of! But what about the secular lieges of that realm, have they no say in your obvious lack of honor? Now they do.

It all starts with personal reflection. If you aren't careful and acquire the Kinslayer trait, news will spread about your deed and you must confront the consequences.

Your liege gets a special opinion modifier in relation to you as a direct result of the last event. This modifier will allow him to attempt to bring you to justice, giving him righteous imprisonment against you.

Should the kinslayer lose the ensuing war they are cast into the dungeon, and their liege has the option to send them into exile for 70 piety (might change).

Living a life of exile, the Kinslayer is incredibly resentful, taking a nasty -30 to relations with their former liege.

The code for this is pretty rough, I haven't spellchecked it or implemented a couple events to allow the kinslayer to redeem themselves (although I've already got events where should you lose the trait, the liege can no longer imprison/exile.

Seeing this won't be very common but it's something that should be there. Just in case it does.

New version next week with the Kinslayer event chain above, random clean up in relation to gender flags in crusades and minor bug fixes.
    Last edited by Monk; 03-22-2013 at 07:45.

strategy gamer Member Enemy Shooting Champion, Rabbit Hunter Champion, Eggs Champion, Kaboom Champion, Money Money Money Champion, Rapid Motion Champion, Super Fishing Champion komnenos's Avatar

I hoped that a full game (for example like CK3!) was going to to be made about the era of vikings instead of this expansion.This era has a lot of important events and it's needed another full game.
    He who has bread has many problems;

He who has no bread has only one problem.

Byzantine Proverb

Senior Member Senior Member Ibn-Khaldun's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Monk View Post
    Glad you're still enjoying the mod series xploring.

I know right? Forcing armor for commanders is such a simple change I am surprised more mods don't do it. If i had to guess, it's likely because the actual variable is a bit hidden away. Found it after a bit of searching in the interface files.

It took some experimenting to get it right but it was well worth it
    In my Byzantine game as the my Empress always wear the armor. Even when there is no war and she doesn't lead any armies. Is it because her martial stats are highest?

Other than that I still like what you've done with this mod.

Monk 

Quote Originally Posted by Ibn-Khaldun View Post
    In my Byzantine game as the my Empress always wear the armor. Even when there is no war and she doesn't lead any armies. Is it because her martial stats are highest?

Other than that I still like what you've done with this mod.
    Yes. If your Empress has over 20 martial she will default to armor automatically. It's a hold over from Vanilla where characters who had high martial would wear their armor regardless of the situation. Though, I may have went a bit too far in allowing Kings and Emperors to just walk around in armor 24/7.

After a bit of experimenting this is something I can easily change. The portrait properties are surprisingly flexible in the scopes and limitations you can use.

Planning to have it as Kings and Emperors (two highest tiers) will always prefer to wear normal clothes regardless of martial ability, but will still put on their armor when they are in command of armies.

Last edited by Monk; 03-23-2013 at 23:43.

Blog Entries

Good! That was a bit weird. Especially because she had 4 children in 6 years and it would be quite uncomfortable carrying them while having armor on.

The new kinslayer event chain looks good. I have just plotted and killed someone of my dynasty in my game. Will certainly have to think twice before I do the same again considering the potential consequences. I guess all my titles will be gone if banished? (or maybe I play as my heir?) Does my liege get tyranny opinion modifier if I hold more than one (or many) titles?

Actually, I want to ask about something else, when I grant title to my courtier and press their claim, does the new title he/she will gain have to be of equal or lower level for him/her to stay as my vassal? (i.e. Does "give barony, press claim for county" work?) Also notice that when my liege raise my levies, my levy numbers seem unchanged (both at castle graphic and military tab), is this a bug originally in the game, or something with the mod?

The new kinslayer event chain looks good. I have just plotted and killed someone of my dynasty in my game. Will certainly have to think twice before I do the same again considering the potential consequences. I guess all my titles will be gone if banished? (or maybe I play as my heir?) Does my liege get tyranny opinion modifier if I hold more than one (or many) titles?
    Ah! I am glad you asked, because in truth I forgot to elaborate...

The current implementation of this event chain actually results in no tyranny at all for your liege, mainly because he isn't confiscating your titles like the diplomatic action 'banish' will do. With the decision I've made your liege effectively seizes your lands and forces a succession. Your current heir will take over..

Here's a shot of my character getting exiled and the heir taking over, as well as the event for the kinslayer being banished.

Actually, I want to ask about something else, when I grant title to my courtier and press their claim, does the new title he/she will gain have to be of equal or lower level for him/her to stay as my vassal? (i.e. Does "give barony, press claim for county" work?) Also notice that when my liege raise my levies, my levy numbers seem unchanged (both at castle graphic and military tab), is this a bug originally in the game, or something with the mod?
    1. You must be one level higher than any vassal you have. Counts cannot be vassals to other counts, dukes cannot be vassals to other dukes, and so on. As long as you keep their highest title to be one lower than yours, they will stay your vassal. Otherwise they become to powerful by law and will break away

2. An issue with vanilla from the looks of it. I've actually never noticed that. It might be a bit of hand waving on paradox's part to allow counts to continue to build their power without constantly having their levy raised by their liege's liege. Or it may be a bug! I'm not sure.
    Last edited by Monk; 03-25-2013 at 08:01.

Quick update to say this is not yet compatible with 1.092. Due to heavy modifications to the CB files, you won't be able to play this mod in the new patch.

I'll get to work on an update for compatibility very soon, expect it tomorrow or Wens.

1.092 compatible version tomorrow morning at the latest (March 27th). Just need to run the mod through it's paces again and make sure I haven't introduced any new crashes.

Upcoming changelog (it got kinda long on me!):

*Women can now earn the crusader trait.

*Female kings/emperors can now call tournaments (tournament events themselves are still 'no girls allowed').

*Women should no longer (hopefully) choose to wear hoods with their armor.

*New Kinslayer events. Kinslayers can now be captured and exiled by their liege. See Version Notes in the Forum for more info.

-New opinion modifiers related to kinslayer events. Becoming a kinslayer now grants a -30 opinion from your liege (if you have one)

*Changes to portrait and armor properties, landed nobles now more logical in wearing armor regardless of ability.

-Landed nobles won't wear armor unless in direct command of troops or are currently serving as marshal

-Spouses of landed nobles act the same as landed nobles in regards to armor

-Unlanded nobles are much more willing to wear their armor regardless of the situation.

*slightly beefed up the female ruler penalties. Now a -5 to vassal opinion, up from -2.

*Removed the Kingdom of Croatia and the Kingdom of Wallachia from De Jure Byzantium.

*Removed old Ethiopian mercenaries/Holy Orders as the AI wasn't using them anyway.

*doubled the mean time to happen of tweak population events. You should see them spread over a much larger time frame. Hopefully.

*Fixed mismatch scope allowing AI to use the tweak pupulation events. No machines allowed!

*Only independant rulers can declare holy wars.
    Last edited by Monk; 03-27-2013 at 01:55.

!!! NEW RELEASE !!!

Version 1.02

Download Here. -- Compatible with paradox patch 1.092

I was running a bit late this morning. All i had time to do was update my links and rush out! So forgive this belated announcement.

Version notes:

Kinslayer events are up and running.

Getting the kinslayer trait now unlocks an event where your liege will gain a special modifier in relation to you. This modifier allows him to attempt to imprison you within the next 15 years. This may change but it seemed a good balance for now.

Should he fail, a war will break out. Should he succeed either in his attempt to imprison, or the war which will enforce it, a special decision will be open to the liege where they can banish the offending character for no tyranny. Dynasty members of the exiled seem to not mind, as the exiled killed a kinsman afterall.

Losing the kinslayer trait will remove the modifier from your liege. How do you lose it? You better buddy up to the Pope and stop your warmongering..

If you should happen to be the one exiled, don't panic! Your current heir will take over for you while your old character begins a new life under AI control in a distant land.

There is currently nothing for vassals of kinslayers. Maybe next time?

Landed nobles (and their spouses) now will never wear armor unless they are directly in command of troops, or serving as marshal. This is an attempt to get characters to dress more logically for the situation.

Unlanded nobles, however, are not so picky about what they wear. And should they have excessive martrial skill (20+) they will gladly wear their armor around the court. The idea behind this is simple: these are your commanders, your war council, their job is war, drilling guards and training troops. Without a demesne to look after, that's what they do in their day to day life.

Women can now call tournaments. Simple change really. They can't participate in them because that's a lot more work than I had time for in this update. I don't know if I'll change that in the future.

Women who are commanding crusades now get the crusader trait. Logical change given the ability for women of exceptional skill to lead armies.

Byzantium loses Croatia and Wallachia from its De Jure because I'm sick of seeing the blob.

"Is this save compatible with 1.01?" I don't make promises but my fourth generation Saxon England game (started in 1.00), is still chugging along great. You won't see the de jure changes reflected in save games from previous versions, and the republic nerf paradox added may not be fully felt (the republics of your world may already be passed the trade post limit) but other than that everything seems perfectly fine.

As always give it a go and see if it survived.
    Last edited by Monk; 03-28-2013 at 03:41.

Thanks for the update and all the new stuff. Happy to see women able to get Crusader trait too, took me awhile to realize they couldn't in the old version.

But for some reason, the coat of arms for almost everyone changed in the saved games I had, I gather you didn't have that problem? But it's alright, I was playing along with the old version and didn't have any problem. Maybe I will look into it tomorrow, bed now...

Thanks for the update and all the new stuff. Happy to see women able to get Crusader trait too, took me awhile to realize they couldn't in the old version.

But for some reason, the coat of arms for almost everyone changed in the saved games I had, I gather you didn't have that problem? But it's alright, I was playing along with the old version and didn't have any problem. Maybe I will look into it tomorrow, bed now...
    Delete your flag cache, it should solve the problem. Head to C:\Users\[user name]\Documents\Paradox Interactive\Crusader Kings II\gfx

Delete the folder titled 'flags'

The game doesn't like generating fresh coats of arms, so whenever it loads up it just goes off of what it has cached. But when I mess with the De Jure land in landed_titles, that can cause the cache to become invalid and coa to be thrown all over the place. Deleting your flags folder in your documents will clear the cache and force the game to regenerate a new cache. Next time you play it should be fixed.

Monk I've been enjoying the crap out of your mod and playing a badass warrior queen but now I've gotten A Prince and a Thane and the two mods don't seem to play nice with each other. Every time I try and load a game with both mods enabled it crashes. When I disable this one, it works. So I'm wondering if there's a way to carry over the way you handle gender (councilors can be female, women can lead men into battle if their war-thingy is high enough, no basque requirement etc) and the free trait at character creation thing INTO the other mod. I know it won't be a seamless transition cuz APaaT seems to always assume you're playing male but yeah. I really have trouble imagining playing the game without your mod but all the events in APaaT just seem like SOOOO much fun and the little story thing APaaT added where my queen challenged her enemy in the middle of a battle and killed him was so epic. But it wouldn't have been nearly as epic if I had to play a guy because that's just so passe, so any help you could give would be MUCH appreciated.

And thanks for the awesome mod!

Monk 

Quote Originally Posted by Fredward View Post
    Monk I've been enjoying the crap out of your mod and playing a badass warrior queen but now I've gotten A Prince and a Thane and the two mods don't seem to play nice with each other. Every time I try and load a game with both mods enabled it crashes. When I disable this one, it works. So I'm wondering if there's a way to carry over the way you handle gender (councilors can be female, women can lead men into battle if their war-thingy is high enough, no basque requirement etc) and the free trait at character creation thing INTO the other mod. I know it won't be a seamless transition cuz APaaT seems to always assume you're playing male but yeah. I really have trouble imagining playing the game without your mod but all the events in APaaT just seem like SOOOO much fun and the little story thing APaaT added where my queen challenged her enemy in the middle of a battle and killed him was so epic. But it wouldn't have been nearly as epic if I had to play a guy because that's just so passe, so any help you could give would be MUCH appreciated.

And thanks for the awesome mod!
    Okay the bolded made me laugh, I have to admit.

Glad you're enjoying the mod so much Fredward! Yeah, EAB is definitely not compatible with any other major overhaul mod. For a while it was unofficially compatible with some, but once i started messing around with the cb and history files that was pretty much a goner. Let me see if I can tackle your requests in turn. I'll write up a quick guide below on how to get a few of my tweaks in a do-it-yourself way.

For this guide, I'm going to assume you are editing a mod already. So i will refer to a generic [mod's name] directory. But you could easily make these changes in the base vanilla game or any other mod.

1. Female Councilers.

a. Understanding the code

This is an easy fix, but one I'd like to explain a bit.

Navigate to Crusader Kings II\mod\[mod's name]\common\

The file you're after is job_titles.txt. This controls all the councilor positions as well as the scopes for who can be that marshal. Let's look at an example from my mod and I'll break it down.

job_chancellor = {
    is_chancellor = yes
    attribute = diplomacy
    dignity = 0.33
    opinion_effect = 15

monthly_salary = 0.1
    monthly_prestige = 0.015

allow = {
    #is_female = no
    is_adult = yes
    prisoner = no
    NOT = { trait = incapable }
    }

gain_effect = {
    }
    lose_effect = {
    opinion = { who = FROM modifier = opinion_fired_from_council }
    }

action = action_improve_relations
    action = action_fabricate_claims
    action = action_sow_dissent

lift_fow = yes
    }
    This is the chancellor job entry which controls a number of different things. There's a number of cool variables in here, but the one we're after is the allow = { scope, which I have highlighted in bold. That controls who can be a chancellor and those who cannot be. Generally, the only restrictions you'll see here are no females allowed, no prisoners allowed and no incapable allowed. In order to get women the ability to be Chancellor all you have to do is place a # in front of "is_female = no"

# designate that line of code to be comment lines. These are special lines in the files which the game engine is specifically told NOT to read. So if you place one of those in front of a variable you don't like, in this case, the check to make sure women cannot be chancellor, you are telling the game to ignore it. This simple change can be duplicated for most of the other council positions with the exception of Spymaster and Marshal, which I will cover in the next paragraph.

The check for female marshals I made was one based on ability, rather than across the board gender equality. This section will require a small bit of explaining. As such, the allow ={ scope for marshal from my mod looks something like this:

job_marshal = {
    is_marshal = yes
    attribute = martial
    dignity = 0.33
    opinion_effect = 15

monthly_salary = 0.1
    monthly_prestige = 0.015

allow = {
    OR = {
    is_female = no
    AND = {
    trait = brilliant_strategist
    NOT = {
    religion_group = muslim
    }
    }
    AND = {
    trait = skilled_tactician
    NOT = {
    religion_group = muslim
    }
    }
    AND = {
    martial = 15
    NOT = {
    religion_group = muslim
    }
    }
    }
    is_adult = yes
    prisoner = no
    NOT = { trait = incapable }
    }

gain_effect = {
    }
    lose_effect = {
    opinion = { who = FROM modifier = opinion_fired_from_council }
    }

action = action_assist_arrest
    action = action_train_troops
    action = action_advance_mil_tech

lift_fow = yes
    }
    Lemme break it down slightly to make it a little easier to understand, as if you've never modded this might look a bit strange.

OR = { : This is a tag which states that the condition is fulfilled if ANY of the variables you define are correct. So let's say I wanted to allow the creation of a title if someone is English OR Saxon. An OR = { tag is what you'd use. In this case, I've used the OR tag in conjunction with the AND = { tags.

AND = { : This is a tag which states that the condition is fulfillied only if ALL of the variables you define are correct. It works exactly the same as the OR tag does, except everything must be true, rather than just anything.

Let's take a look at that same scope, but this time, we'll be thinking using the game's logic...

allow = { "I will let a character be marshal if..."
    OR = { "If Any one of these is true, you can be Marshal"
    is_female = no "If a character is not female, they are allowed to be marshal."
    AND = { "If a character has the Brilliant strategist trait, AND is not a Muslim, they can be marshal."
    trait = brilliant_strategist
    NOT = {
    religion_group = muslim
    }
    }
    AND = { "If a character has the Skilled Tactician trait, AND is not a Muslim, they can be marshal."
    trait = skilled_tactician
    NOT = {
    religion_group = muslim
    }
    }
    AND = { "If a character has 15 martial skill AND is not a Muslim they can be marshal"
    martial = 15
    NOT = {
    religion_group = muslim
    }
    }
    }
    is_adult = yes "Only adult characters can be considered valid Marshals."
    prisoner = no "Only characters who are not prisoners can be Marshal"
    NOT = { trait = incapable } "Characters who have the Incapable trait cannot be marshal."
    }

b. Implementing changes.

Combining OR and AND tags allows you to program really complex strings, and is the way Paradox and Modders both can come up with all the fancy systems the games uses. While it's true there's a bit more too it than that, a lot of the stuff I did for my mod boil down to those two tags. Kinda crazy huh?

Lastly there's spymaster which in vanilla, only allows women to serve if they are wife or mother to your character. All you have to do is delete the OR tag inside the allow and remove the is_female line to allow women to serve. That's really all there is to the basics understanding and modding councilor files.

You can pretty much just copy + paste the allow scopes for all these jobs over whatever mod in question you're running. You will then get my rules for councilors as opposed to whatever mod's you happen to be playing. But we're not done yet! We need to enable events for women, as all the councilor events are by default men only. If you don't follow this next step your women won't fire council events!

Navigate to Crusader Kings II\mod\[mod's name]\events\

You'll find an event file for each councilor title here with names like job_marshal, job_chancellor, etc. If you don't see them, simply go to the events in the Crusader Kings II directory and copy them over to the mod in question. Open them up one by one and do a control+F to bring up a search dialogue, you want to look for the only_men = tag. This is the variable that says only men are checked for this event. Simply place a # in the front of that line and you're done. Keep doing control+F until you hit every one of those tags, then repeat for the rest of the council.

And.. that's it! Enjoy having EAB council mechanics.

2. Absolute-Cognatic Party Time for One and All.

How to make Absolute Cognatic to be non-basque restricted is a pretty simple fix too.

Navigate to Crusader Kings II\mod\[Mod's name\decisions

Find the succession_laws file, open it up and do a control+f for "true_cognatic"

delete:

allow = {
    holder_scope = { culture = basque }
    }

Save and close the file. You're done. All non-Muslims (they are denied earlier in the scopes) will be able to use true_cognatic. The AI almost never uses this from my experience, so it's pretty much just a player_only change (even though it isn't scoped as such.)

3. Free ruler designer traits.

This is something I discovered by accident but is really cool. It's one of those things you gotta be careful with since you can make yourself SUPER overpowered if you're not. Anyway.

Navigate to Crusader Kings II\mod\[mod's name]\common

Open defines.lua (Note: NOT defines.txt. They are two completely different files which control different things)

There's a lot of stuff in here you could play around with. I highly recommend experimenting with this stuff, because you can do all sorts of whacky stuff with the engine. That's not why we are here though! Control+F to search for "RulerD"

You should see something like this:

BASE_ATTRIB = 5,
    BASE_AGE = 16,
    BASE_FERTILITY = 0.5,
    BASE_HEALTH = 5.0,
    COST_ATTRIB = 1.0,
    COST_SON = 5.0,
    COST_DAUGHTER = 2.0,
    COST_MARRIED = 2.0,
    COST_FERTILITY = 20.0,
    COST_HEALTH = 10.0,
    COST_MONTHLY_PRESTIGE = 10.0,
    COST_MONTHLY_PIETY = 20.0,
    COST_MONTHLY_WEALTH = 10.0,
    COST_CHURCH_OPINION = 0.5,
    COST_SPOUCE_OPINION = 0.5,
    COST_SEXAPPEAL_OPINION = 0.5,
    COST_DYNASTY_OPINION = 0.5,
    COST_VASSAL_OPINION = 1.0,
    COST_LIEGE_OPINION = -0.5,
    COST_INFIDEL_OPINION = 0.5,
    COST_OPPOSITE_TRAIT_OPINION = 0.5,
    COST_SAME_TRAIT_OPINION = 0.5,
    COST_SAME_RELIGION_OPINION = 0.5,
    COST_AMBITION_OPINION = -0.25,
    COST_GENERAL_OPINION = 2.0,
    MAX_AGE = 50,
    Change all the lines with a "Cost" to = 0.0

Enjoy free traits in the ruler designer!
    Last edited by Monk; 04-06-2013 at 04:04.

Thanks Monk! Everything is working all nice and shiny now. And this is coming from a guy who dropped out of grade 9 IT because it was too complicated and whose never done anything even remotely related to modding. You're really good at explaining things. Now I just have one last request, the armor thing. For female rulers especially ofc, it made a huge difference seeing my queen donning her armor every time she went into battle (which happened a LOT, she united Wales and a FAT chunk of Ireland before she was killed by the Scottish king at Breifne. Who also happened to be her ex-husband) and I figured it would be in the same place as the traits but I can't find it, and even if I did I'd have no idea what to do.

Quote Originally Posted by Fredward View Post
    Thanks Monk! Everything is working all nice and shiny now. And this is coming from a guy who dropped out of grade 9 IT because it was too complicated and whose never done anything even remotely related to modding. You're really good at explaining things. Now I just have one last request, the armor thing. For female rulers especially ofc, it made a huge difference seeing my queen donning her armor every time she went into battle (which happened a LOT, she united Wales and a FAT chunk of Ireland before she was killed by the Scottish king at Breifne. Who also happened to be her ex-husband) and I figured it would be in the same place as the traits but I can't find it, and even if I did I'd have no idea what to do.
    Yes armor is one of the smaller changes i've made, but interestingly, one of the ones I enjoy the most. It adds a huge awesome factor to see your characters put on their armor the moment they get command, and earlier in the thread I expressed surprise that more mods didn't do that. Personally, I believe it's because the variables are a little hidden.

4. Armor for women and battle situations.

navigate to Crusader Kings II\mod\[mod's name]\interface

Find a file called portrait_properties in this folder. If it's not here, you know what to do, just copy it over from vanilla. We'll be editing three entries here to do three different things. First we want all characters regardless of gender to use their armor in battle. Secondly, we want to deny women the ability to wear martial headgear (it doesn't look right as it was made for male portraits), and third, we want to prevent women from wearing hoods into battle. Let's tackle them in order.

a. Getting your blacksmiths working (aka armor for combat situations)

Do a control+F and search for 'Martial' until you find this entry:

# Martial
    10 = {
    factor = 100
    modifier = {
    factor = 0
    NOT = { has_job_title = job_marshal }
    NOT = { martial = 12 }
    NOT = {
    primary_title = {
    OR = {
    title = d_knights_hospitaler
    title = d_knights_templar
    title = d_teutonic_order
    }
    }
    }
    }
    modifier = {
    factor = 0
    OR = {
    is_female = yes
    tier = king
    tier = emperor
    AND = {
    tier = duke
    any_demesne_title = {
    tier = baron
    }
    NOT = {
    primary_title = {
    OR = {
    title = d_teutonic_order
    }
    }
    }
    }
    AND = {
    religion_group = christian
    OR = {
    AND = {
    is_ruler = yes
    is_theocracy = yes
    }
    has_job_title = job_spiritual
    }
    }
    }
    }
    }
    A big reason why I explained OR and AND tags before was so this would make a little bit more sense. In this file, we're also seeing the modifier = { tag for the first time. What is that you ask? Well, the modifier is a random chance (from 0 to 100) that a variable will be applied. In this case the variable is armor, identified by the tag "10" and explained by the comment line "# Martial." Using the modifier = { tag you can define custom chances for how often you'd like someone to wear certain clothing. Usually it's done just to add a bit of random styles to the game so that count A isn't wearing the same shirt as count B, but it doesnt always work that way.

Here is what the Martial entry looks like for my mod:

10 = {
    factor = 100
    modifier = {
    factor = 0
    NOT = { in_command = yes }
    NOT = { martial = 20 }
    NOT = {
    primary_title = {
    OR = {
    title = d_teutonic_order
    }
    }
    }
    }
    modifier = {
    factor = 0
    OR = {
    AND = {
    is_female = yes
    religion_group = muslim
    }
    AND = {
    demesne_size = 1
    in_command = no
    NOT = {
    has_job_title = job_marshal
    }
    }
    AND = {
    spouse = {
    demense_size = 1
    }
    in_command = no
    NOT = {
    }
    }
    is_theocracy = yes
    has_landed_title = k_papal_state
    }
    }
    }
    If you want armor rules that are identical to my mod's, just do the same thing you did before, copy my stuff and paste over the mod in question/vanilla. You might have to go to my mod file and copy + paste from there, as sometimes this site can mess with coding.

There were two main changes I made. Everyone is forced against a NOT check the moment they get the in_command tag, which happens as soon as you raise an army. If they are in_command, they will never not wear armor. Yeah it's a double negative I don't know why paradox coded it that way, but I followed the trend when I edited this file. I also made sure that Muslim women will never wear armor by doing AND scopes. As explained before, Muslim women commanding armies make the decadence mechanic pointless. It felt silly to then let them wear armor no matter how capable if they couldnt use it.

b. Denying women helmets

In the same file, control + F for 'martial headgear' which will take you to the standard helmets for the various cultures of the game. Mainly it's the same as above with a few exceptions. Here's a look at my version of this.

10 = {
    factor = 100
    modifier = {
    factor = 0
    NOT = { in_command = yes }
    NOT = { martial = 20 }
    NOT = {
    primary_title = {
    OR = {
    mercenary = yes
    title = d_teutonic_order
    }
    }
    }
    }
    modifier = {
    factor = 0
    OR = {
    is_female = yes
    tier = king
    tier = emperor
    is_female = yes
    is_theocracy = yes
    has_landed_title = k_papal_state
    }
    }
    }
    The first modifier is pretty much the same but the second is where most of the changes went. Factor = 0 means that under no circumstance will, if ANY of these variables are true, the character in question will not wear a helmet. Add in is_female = yes, and if you want your kings and emperors to wear their crowns into combat, then include tier = king and tier = emperor. The latter will give you the, in my opinion, really neat ability to have kings/emperors wear crowns with their armor automatically. The portraits are surprisingly flexible and combine the two seamlessly.

The last is one that should hopefully be preventing women from wearing hoods with their armor, which while it didn't look bad per say, it annoyed me.

c. No hoods allowed in war.

In the same file, do a control + F for "Blank." There are a few blanks in here, I believe one controls the bald hairstyle, so make sure you are at..

#Blank
    11= {

Paste this into the file over what is there:

11 = {
    factor = 3
    modifier = {
    factor = 0
    OR = {
    tier = emperor
    tier = king
    tier = duke
    has_minor_title = title_prince
    spouse = { tier = emperor }
    spouse = { tier = king }
    spouse = { tier = duke }
    }
    }
    modifier = {
    factor = 100
    OR = {
    AND = {
    is_female = yes
    in_command = yes
    }
    AND = {
    is_female = yes
    martial = 20
    }
    AND = {
    is_female = yes
    }
    }
    }
    }
    This bit of code tells the game engine to actively prevent kings, emperors and dukes from using no headgear. Those tiers should always have some kind of crown to use, but at the same time take a look at the second modifier tag. If ANY of those AND tags find a match with the character in question, they will take off their headgear when they go into battle.... UNLESS they are at the Emperor, King or Duke tier.

That's all there is to it. Enjoy having commanders who look the part as well as act the part.

Blog Entries

Those instructions have helped me too. Thanks, Monk!

You guys are very welcome.

Mr Self Important Senior Member Beskar's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I cannot seem to find this on the paradox forums, might be simple, but is there anyway to disable the 'Game Over" screen?

I am aware of the risks involved and how some characters don't work properly. But it is better than trying to motion trick the game by spamming esc and clicking where "quick save" button is, to trick the game in allowing you to save.

Also, downloaded your mod update Monk. Going to give that a shot.
    Days since the Apocalypse began
    "We are living in space-age times but there's too many of us thinking with stone-age minds" | How to spot a Humanist
    "Men of Quality do not fear Equality." | "Belief doesn't change facts. Facts, if you are reasonable, should change your beliefs."

Mr Self Important Senior Member Beskar's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Wow, there have been some changes since I last played. I am not sure if it is the game or your mod.. Playing in England, and there is now the Duchy of Mercia. As Duke of Cornwall, I got an event by the pope to take the crown from Godwin (so 3 wars for the English crown!), also, I could invite fellow vassals to join me in the war for it.
    Days since the Apocalypse began
    "We are living in space-age times but there's too many of us thinking with stone-age minds" | How to spot a Humanist
    "Men of Quality do not fear Equality." | "Belief doesn't change facts. Facts, if you are reasonable, should change your beliefs."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast