Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: The Resistance! ...2! [Concluded]

Default Re: The Resistance! ...2! [SIGN UPs]

Quote Originally Posted by Double A View Post
    The same team, but with Jarema instead of DF.
    How about me? I haven't had a go yet .

still making Bowser jokes Member Roach Kill Champion, Donkey Rocket Champion Double A's Avatar
    Blog Entries

That's true, but in all likelihood, there's a 50/50 chance that Jarema is a spy, while there's a 2/3 chance that any one of the three guys who haven't had a go yet is a spy (assuming none of the people who were on last turn's mission are scum). My gut is telling me to stay the crap away from DF, but even if he is scum, he'd still need one of his buddies on the team to help him out. If auto's scum, then we've found the guy from the first mission and we're still safe (unless they're both scum and one sent succeed orders), but I seriously doubt that any spy here would send in a succeed order 2-3 times in a row.

To cut my tired rambling short, I think DF is a spy, along with two in the group of Ishmael, B_Ray, and BSmith.
    Last edited by Double A; 03-12-2013 at 07:57.

sneaky tactc is most likely sneaky. i oppose for now

still making Bowser jokes Member Roach Kill Champion, Donkey Rocket Champion Double A's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Do the spies know who each other are despite not being able to PM? That just occurred to me.

yes they do. In your role pm the ids of the two other spies is made clear. :D

also, i know this from being a spy in the last game, not from this one :P

Blog Entries

Well that tears a few bigass holes in my strategy. Anyone else got an idea?

Sorry for delay - no comp access yesterday. Will be back on later today

It seems unlikely that a spy sat in the weeds and handed us 2 successful missions. If Darth is a spy he would need backing to get this mission to fail; it would appear that the support does not exist in the proposed group.
    Ja-mata TosaInu

Once again - sorry for the delay. I'll be back into this at the earliest opportunity a few unforeseeable RL hurdles.

I've sent a request for the four votes I'm waiting on - will update as soon as I've received a full set of votes. Thanks to those of you who have sent already and apologies once again for the delay. I should be back on track again now. :)

Mission 4 is GO!

Autolycus
    Hopalongbunny
    makrell
    Double A
    Darth Feather

APPROVE
    (Darth Feather)
    Makrell
    Jarema
    HopAlongBunny
    autolycus

OPPOSE
    Double A
    B_Ray
    BSmith
    Ishmael

If you have not supplied them to me already - please send your orders now.

The Explosions continued their chain reactions throughout the starport. DARTH FEATHER looked down at his pack of undetonated explosives and shook his large reptilian head. They would be coming for him soon. The tiny Nawgehrmer Shaman, the Biotic Pit fighter, the Human Psionic and the unicorned Sawgehrmer would focus on his location. The Kraak had considered using his explosives - going turncoat and siding with the winning team, but turned out that was impossible. He had lived deep cover and now he would die - his true identity revealed at last to the Resistance scum. He was Empire - every last ing scale and claw of him - and proud of it. As his ‘Team mates’ approached him - weapons ready. The Kraak placed the barrel of his rifle between his scaley jaws - offered a prayer to the everliving Mothercroc - and pulled the trigger.

THE MISSIONS:
    1st Mission Team: Autolycus, Jarema, Darth Feather FAILED
    2nd Mission Team: Autolycus, HopAlongBunny, Makrell, Double A SUCCEEDED
    3rd Mission Team: HopAlongBunny, Makrell, Double A SUCCEEDED
    4th Mission Team: HopAlongBunny, Makrell, Double A, Darth Feather SUCCEEDED*
    5th Mission Team: 5 Members

*This Mission requires a minimum of 2 MISSION FAILS orders for it to fail.

RESISTANCE VICTORY!

1) BSmith
    2) autolycus
    3) Jarema
    4) Darth Feather
    5) Makrell
    6) HopAlongBunny
    7) B_Ray
    8) Ishmael
    9) Double A

(sigh)

Congratulations loyal Resistance members! Commiserations Imperial scum!

Well - that didn’t go too well did it.

The numbers (Which were official!) didn’t favour the Imperial spies, but that game played out in a manner that left the spies with very little that could be done as soon as the second mission succeeded.

All I can say is thanks for playing and particularly the Imperials for sticking with it and I hope this experience doesn’t put you off playing again. My previous attempt at hosting a game of Resistance was much more exciting and I shall certainly tailor the game to prevent such a foregone conclusion from occuring again - should I decide to Host another.

Lazy

Blog Entries

Holy crap I actually guessed that BS and B_Ray were the other spies.

This was pretty damn fun, Lazy. Good job.

Quote Originally Posted by Double A View Post
    Holy crap I actually guessed that BS and B_Ray were the other spies.

This was pretty damn fun, Lazy. Good job.
    Thanks Double A - I'm glad you enjoyed it. I'm afraid if you were a spy in this game you probably won't have enjoyed it so much. It was pretty clear to us (me and the spies) that the game was effectively over as soon as the Mission 2 proposal was approved :/

I DO like this game, but I'm not convinced about the balance yet. I'm sure B_Ray et al will agree :)

Here's a King Arthur variant for those who are interested :)

I say let it run for a couple more times then look at any balance issues. Mission 2 was a lucky pick that almost failed.

Even though there was not much we could do, it was still fun, and I’d play another one should it be hosted.

In this game I wish that Darth Feather had let Mission 1 succeed. It would have given both me and him some resistance credibility and at least confused the issue a little more. I doubt if that had happened that we would have had the slate we did for Mission 2. It’s hard to pass up a chance to make the mission fail, but with Mission 1 we still have quite a few other chances to cause havoc.

I was also tempted to put all 3 spies on Mission 1, just to see the chaos that would have caused to everyone, especially the other spies as they had to figure out what to do. It would have been awesome if all 3 sent in succeed orders.
    Always meet on the level, act by the plumb and part on the square.
    2B1ASK1

good good

Default Re: The Resistance! ...2! [IN PLAY]

Autolycus was lucky when he picked the second team. If there are no spies on that team the resistance is very likely to win if they use the same strategy as in this game (same team-same team+1)

Quote Originally Posted by BSmith View Post
    I say let it run for a couple more times then look at any balance issues. Mission 2 was a lucky pick that almost failed.

Even though there was not much we could do, it was still fun, and I’d play another one should it be hosted.

In this game I wish that Darth Feather had let Mission 1 succeed. It would have given both me and him some resistance credibility and at least confused the issue a little more. I doubt if that had happened that we would have had the slate we did for Mission 2. It’s hard to pass up a chance to make the mission fail, but with Mission 1 we still have quite a few other chances to cause havoc.

I was also tempted to put all 3 spies on Mission 1, just to see the chaos that would have caused to everyone, especially the other spies as they had to figure out what to do. It would have been awesome if all 3 sent in succeed orders.
    :D Yes to all of that - I agree about Mission 1 type shenanigans - its a real opportunity for the loyal Resistance members to get a handle on the game and if it succeeds unanimously, I think its actually a lot harder for Resistance to get the win.... but then - as you say its a chance for sabotage gone begging :)

Anyway - glad to hear that this rather unlucky chance hasn't put people off - i'd worried that it might

Dark Lord of Sith Member Big Bird Hunting Champion, Squid Hunter Champion, Simpsons Shooter Champion, Fun Surfing Champion Darth Feather's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BSmith View Post

You were right I should have pulled a mission succes. I did not think about the consequences on beforehand.
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    Nathaniël of the mouse guard

"Death is lighter than a feather, duty is heavier than a mountain" - Robert Jordan

The writer of above message is not responsible for any mistakes in the reasoning of said message.

Thank you for the game :)

I was sure we were doomed from the outset; I had no real idea who the spies were right up to the end.

I can see that the spies have tough choices to make; the game is quick, so it is difficult to pass up a "sure thing"...but confusion is your ally.
    Ja-mata TosaInu

Senior Member Senior Member Jarema's Avatar

good game, thanks

swift and interesting

Thanks for hosting Lazy, it was very fun.

I'm sure that everybody must have though I was scum - pretty much all my mission approved/opposed orders were against what was best for the town. Still, I wouldn't say it was inherently unbalanced - as I pointed out at the time, the chance of the M2 proposal being all town was only one in five, so the spies just got really unlucky.

Quote Originally Posted by edse View Post
    Autolycus was lucky when he picked the second team. If there are no spies on that team the resistance is very likely to win if they use the same strategy as in this game (same team-same team+1)
    Good point. It would make it a bit more tricky if each new team had to include at least one different member.
    Ja-mata TosaInu

Quote Originally Posted by HopAlongBunny View Post
    Good point. It would make it a bit more tricky if each new team had to include at least one different member.
    I'm not sure which side that sounds unfavourable to, but it seems a little forced. I think the first 'variant' I would try - if any - would be the one where the Mission 'Leader' gets to choose the team members AND which Mission they are going to attempt:

eg.

THE MISSIONS:
    1st Mission Team: 3 Members
    2nd Mission Team: 4 Members
    3rd Mission Team: 4 Members
    4th Mission Team: 5 Members*
    5th Mission Team: 5 Members

*This Mission requires a minimum of 2 MISSION FAILS orders for it to fail.

Any Team Leader can propose the Team and the mission they are going on - Each Mission can only be picked once - and the 5th Mission can only be attempted after two Missions have been successful.

But maybe vanilla works best in this forum setting - I don't know yet :)

Yeah. Keep it vanilla for a few more rounds. If there are indeed balance issues (and not just luck issues) then they should become apparent after a few more.
    Always meet on the level, act by the plumb and part on the square.
    2B1ASK1

Well I'm definitely glad we gave the game a deserved second chance, and I think it's got promise. I apologize for not making more effort toward the end, but I think all us spies felt like it was too late by then.

I agree that if a spy should get the chance to sneak through Mission 1, it's best to take it. Darth Feather, I regret arguing against your earliest team suggestion, was actually trying to make it sound plausible while simultaneously establishing some distance between us, which I figured would be critical later on. The fact that the spy team cannot communicate privately is a uniquely challenging aspect of Resistance, and I think we should keep it that way. My suggestion would be to try a game in which Mission 5 requires two fail orders while Mission 4 only requires one. That might favor the spies too much, though.

Quote Originally Posted by B_Ray View Post
    The fact that the spy team cannot communicate privately is a uniquely challenging aspect of Resistance, and I think we should keep it that way. My suggestion would be to try a game in which Mission 5 requires two fail orders while Mission 4 only requires one. That might favor the spies too much, though.
    Interesting idea - noted. I'll host the next few vanilla I think, but given how much the game devs have house ruled and republished their own game, I think its safe to say that the rules are certainly open to interpretation.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234