Thread: Wargaming buys Gas Powered Games

Default Wargaming buys Gas Powered Games

http://worldoftanks.com/news/2037-wa...powered-games/

Now that's a pretty well-known developer, and they bought Chris Taylor as well!
    What I really do wonder about though is what their plans with this acquisition are and how long it will take Wargaming until we can read "Wargaming buys Activision-Blizzard, CEO Victor Kislyi: 'I am very happy, their existing MMO technology will nicely complement our existing games from tiers -20 to -10 as we promised in our very first teaser.' "

Does GPG have any console gaming experience that they could be after? I thought they made mostly PC games?!?

"Topic is tired and needs a nap." - Tosa Inu

The Abominable Senior Member Hexxagon Champion Monk's Avatar

Default Re: Wargaming buys Gas Powered Games

I'm more interested in this from the MMO standpoint. GPG was responsible for Age of empires Online which was free-to-play. Now they have been aquired by another Free-To-Play company. Does this mean that GPG will be developing something under the wargaming publishing umbrella? Another F2P mmo? Are they there to help develop content for WoT?

Very interesting. Eager to see where this goes.

The very model of a modern Moderator Xiahou's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Husar View Post
    Does GPG have any console gaming experience that they could be after? I thought they made mostly PC games?!?
    The Supreme Commander games were released on the XBox iirc.

Dungeon Siege was good for its time, the first SupCom was pretty good, Demigod was a very good game and had massive potential that never materialized. The rest of their games have been pretty forgettable. I was a big Chris Taylor fan for his work on Total Annihilation, but after GPG walked away from Demigod I lost faith in the company.

It sounds like they were circling the drain right before Wargaming bought them up.
    Last edited by Xiahou; 02-15-2013 at 05:27.
    "Don't believe everything you read online."
    -Abraham Lincoln

Sovereign Oppressor Member TIE Fighter Shooter Champion, Turkey Shoot Champion, Juggler Champion Kralizec's Avatar

I only know the company from SupCom (and its "expansion", Forged Alliance). That was possibly the best wargame I've ever played. The sequel sucked, worst 10 bucks I ever spent.