Thread: Seriously, steam, what the frak?

Pining for the glory days... Member lancelot's Avatar

Default Seriously, steam, what the frak?

Hello all

Could anyone help with the most annoying 5th wheel ever created aka- steam.

Here is the situation.

Have had a legit & verified copy of shogun 2 on my machine for a while now, have come back to it after a few months.

Steam says I cant play in offline mode. (My wifi is notoriously unreliable) (why I cant play an already registered game in 'offline' mode is beyond me but I digress)

So I go online.

Steam then implies I have to download shogun 2. The whole freaking game!!??! Its not saying update here either BTW. It also doesnt tell you the size of the download either so I cant even really determine if it is indeed trying to download the whole game.

So, I realise Im a bit of an old fart and come from a time when if you had a game on your PC you just clicked on the desktop icon and played it but what is going on here???

Im relatively inexperienced with this whole steam business but it appears to me to just be a barrier to actually playing the game Ive bought. Are you reading this Sega? Steam is just getting in the way! Im so mad, Ive paid my money, registered my game, I want to freaking play it!.

Can anyone please help and give me some advice as to how to actually get this game to run again. Many thanks in advance.
    "England expects that every man will do his duty" Lord Nelson

"Extinction to all traitors" Megatron

"Lisa, if the Bible has taught us nothing else, and it hasn't, it's that girls should stick to girls sports, such as hot oil wrestling and foxy boxing and such and such." Homer Simpson

Default Re: Seriously, steam, what the frak?

Steam is a pain in the

I had the same thing happen a little while ago; was not game related but a client update. With luck, that's what it is and you should be playing shortly (it wasn't that big). Still a pain.
    Ja-mata TosaInu

..fears no adversary Senior Member Jochi Khan's Avatar

Default Re: Seriously, steam, what the frak?

Steam then implies I have to download shogun 2. The whole freaking game!!??! Its not saying update here either BTW. It also doesnt tell you the size of the download either so I cant even really determine if it is indeed trying to download the whole game.
    You can see how much/size is being downloaded.
    When the game is downloading files when your logged on to Steam...select Library..Downloads.
    The screen that shows the download will show you....how big the download is, when the download was started, what speed you are downloading at and how much time is left to complete it.
    R.I.P Great Warrior Ja mata TosaInu

sat at the..Nomad Alliance..campfire

Do your best and do it according to your own inner standard
    --call it conscience--
    not just according to society's knowledge and judgement of your deeds.