Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: The Search for the Skull Island

Senior Member Senior Member Ibn-Khaldun's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default The Search for the Skull Island

The Search for the Skull Island

You are a typical pirate captain in a typical pirate town drinking a typical pirate beer in a typical pirate tavern. You own a typical pirate ship with a crew full of typical pirates. Life is good!
    In a typical pirate day after hard day doing your pirate work you just want to rest and sing and curse and swear and if possible then crack some poor fellows skull with your sword. However this day is different. A strange fellow comes to the tavern and begins boasting that he found the famous Skull Island with it's immense riches! Soon the poor guy is drunk from all the rum his "friends" bought for him and he starts giving hints where the Skull Island is located. It doesn't take long when you realize where the island is. You quickly leave the tavern and head to you ship. Your crew, bunch of scary but in the same time charming pirates, welcome your decision to sail to the Skull Island and take the riches to yourselves!
    Unfortunately you are not the only one whit that plan. As you make preparations to leave your beloved pirate town you see other pirate captains do the same. Arrgghh.. It's obvious the have the same plan that you have. So, hoist the sail and ready your cannons for this is going to be a race to the Skull Island and back and the one who comes back to the pirate town with the biggest swag wins.. of course if he survives.

This is a non-mafia game for 2 player teams. It consists of 3 parts: race to the island, search for the treasure, race back to the pirate town. The winners are those who get back to the pirate town with the largest treasure.

Roles:
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    Each team will have 2 players: Cannoneer and Craftsman.
    Cannoneer - Is responsible of cannons (obviously).
    Craftsman - Can repair any damage done to the ship.
    Players must also choose who will be the Captain.
    Captain - Can give orders to engage other ships or an order to disengage. In later parts he will receive new powers.

Ship:
    The basic ship stats are these:
    Sails: 100
    Hull: 300
    Cannons: 10
    Crew: 50
    At the start of the game the Captain should send a PM and say what type of bonuses he wants to his ship. It's possible to get (you can choose only 1 bonus!) +25 sails, +50 hull, +6 cannons or +25 crew. Players should remember that it's impossible to repair the ships hull and sails beyond the starting stats(if you start with hull size 300 you can't expand it to 330 or 350 etc). Also, you can't repair your cannons.
    If your ship is destroyed (hull stats reaches 0) you will loose and are out of the game.

Details about the ship stats:
    Sails allow you to get to the island faster. Larger sail stat also allow you to disengage from fights more often. Every 25 points in sail stat gives you 1 chance to disengage from a fight. So, with 100 sail stat you can disengage from a battle 4 times per stage.

Hull shows the strength of your ship but also how much gold you can transport.

Cannons show how much damage you can cause to other ships and it differs from what part of the ship you target (You can target only one part of the ship per post!). So, (This is important to the Cannoneer!) 10 cannons can cause -5 damage to the sails, -10 damage to the hull, -1 damage to the cannons and -5 to the crew. If there are 5 cannons or less left you can't damage other ships cannons but in the same time if you have more than 10 cannons you can inflict -2 damage to other ships cannons.
    How to calculate the damage you inflict to other ships if you have less than 10 cannons? Perhaps someone can describe this better but the idea is that 7 cannons cause the same amount of damage as 8 cannons (except against the hull) and 3 cannons cause the same damage as 4 cannons.
    How to find out how much mayhem and destruction you can cause to another ship? I brought out the 10 cannon variant but for example if you have 6 cannons you can inflict -3 to sails, -6 to hull, -1 to cannons or -3 to crew. With 3 cannons you will cause -2 damage to the sails, -3 to the hull and -2 to the crew.

Crew is the number of pirates you have in your .. well.. crew. The more pirates you have left when you arrive to the islands determines how much gold you can carry back to your ship. Land combat and movement in the island will be explained when players reach there. On your way back to the pirate town it is also possible to board other ships and try to conquer them. This will be explained in more details when we reach that part of the game.

Craftsmen can repair +10 damage done to his ship per post. He can repair only one part of the ship per post (ship sails or it's hull).

How to play?!

Firstly, each player can post his "orders" (repair or attack) once per hour. Player can ignore this rule ONLY IF 4 other players have posted their orders in meantime.
    At the start of the game I will post the stats of each ship and after that it's up to the players whether they decide to attack others or not. Players themselves will deduce the damage from ships they attacked (Cannoneers) or add points to their ship stats if they repair it (Craftsmen).

To illustrate this a short battle between 2 teams:

Team A decides to attack Team B

Team A's ship:
    Ship: Flaming Volcano
    Officers: Captain TinCow (Cannoneer), Lieutenant Andres (Craftsman)
    Sails: 150
    Cannons: 16
    Team B's ship:
    Ship: Hurricane
    Officers: Captain Monk (Craftsman), Lieutenant GeneralHandkerchief (Cannoneer)
    Hull: 350
    During the game players will then post like this:

Captain TinCow engages ship Hurricane!
    Cannons target their ships hull.

Hull: 334 -16
    Craftsman Monk repairs the ships hull!

Hull: 344 +10
    Lieutenant GeneralHandkerchief engages ship Flaming Volcano!
    Cannons target their sails!

Sails: 145 -5
    Lieutenant Andres repairs the sails!

Sails: 150 +5
    Captain Tincow disengages from the battle against ship Hurricane!

All 3 parts of the game are also divided themselves into 3 stages. The first part, "Race to the Skull Island", is divided into 1) Start of the Voyage, 2) The Open Sea and 3) The Arrival to the Skull Island. During the first and third stage it's possible to target cannons and the crew but not during the second stage when it's possible to target only the hull and the sails of the ship. Each stage lasts roughly 24 hours. During the first stage you are all close to each other and you can attack all teams. However, at the start of second stage you are grouped based on whether you have lagged behind or if you have managed to get ahead of other players. The team who is in lead in the end of third stage will be the first ones to land on the island and can search more sectors of it than the ones who get there last.

Anything else? If you have any questions I'll be glad to answer them.

Also, I shouldn't forget the sign ups.. aarrgghh.. (where is that other pirate emoticon?!)

Remember, each team needs 2 players! You can just post that you join the game and I will randomly select a partner for you when the game starts. Or you can sign up with a friend(who also needs to confirm that he wants to join the game). I don't have a limit to the maximum number of teams who can join but I would like it to be something like 4-6 teams.

Players (8):
    Darth Feather
    edse
    BSmith
    HopAlongBunny
    Caius
    johnhughthom
    LazyMcCrow
    Ishmael
    Last edited by Ibn-Khaldun; 04-03-2013 at 23:05.

Dark Lord of Sith Member Big Bird Hunting Champion, Squid Hunter Champion, Simpsons Shooter Champion, Fun Surfing Champion Darth Feather's Avatar

Default Re: The Search for the Skull Island

With the new avatar. Definitely in

A quick question, you said there had to be a post each hour. How long will the game last? (estimated)
    Nathaniël of the mouse guard

"Death is lighter than a feather, duty is heavier than a mountain" - Robert Jordan

The writer of above message is not responsible for any mistakes in the reasoning of said message.

Blog Entries

If one stage lasts about 24 hours and and there are 3 stages in each part of the game then I guess 9-11 days.

However, at the start of second stage you are grouped based on whether you have lagged behind or if you have managed to get ahead of other players. The team who is in lead in the end of third stage will be the first ones to land on the island and can search more sectors of it than the ones who get there last.
    Is it the amount of sails only that decides this? No other distance or speed calculations needed?

Interested. Reminds me of an old board game.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by edse View Post
    Is it the amount of sails only that decides this? No other distance or speed calculations needed?

Interested. Reminds me of an old board game.
    Well, I also take into account the general state of the ship like how damaged is the hull and the number of crew. However, yes, basically it is the amount of sails that decide this.

Blog Entries

Perhaps mods could move the thread to the Gameroom?

I'd definitely be in for this. It's nice to have the odd non-mafia game to break up the routine.

I'll give this a try.
    Always meet on the level, act by the plumb and part on the square.
    2B1ASK1

Blog Entries

So, 4 players means two teams but it's not enough. It would be nice to get at least 4 more people to join.

Arrr! Billy!

I sells sea shells by the seashore!

in pls :)

I've got a strep throat so I sleep a lot atm; hopefully it will be gone by the time we start.
    Ja-mata TosaInu

Honorary Argentinian Senior Member Gyroball Champion, Karts Champion Caius's Avatar

I are in!

Aye captain!

Names, secret names
    But never in my favour
    But when all is said and done
    It's you I love

I am really interested in this but the timing/schedule of the game is making me reluctant to sign up - not because I think it is a bad system - but just because I don't want to let a team mate down with less than optimal commitment on my part, or an awkward timezone difference between us - or I suppose a combination of the two :). I'll be very interested to see how this plays out though and to hear the feedback of those taking part. If there is anything anyone can do to allay my fears about timing issues then please go ahead!

Blog Entries

I really can't change the timing. 24 hour rounds work best with the current ship stats. Rounds that last longer could end the game in the first one.

Also, I would like to get at least 2 more people before I could start the game. Also, those who have signed up so far could negotiate with each other and perhaps form their teams (this would mean I don't have to use random.org for it).

Also, I'll add a new option for the Captains. In the end of first round they can choose to find new recruits (crew will be restored to max) or repair the ship (hull and sail will be fully repaired). However, this will automatically put that team to the last place.

still making Bowser jokes Member Roach Kill Champion, Donkey Rocket Champion Double A's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Gah, this looks so fun, but I can't commit until next weekend, so if you haven't started by then (or are still going and need a replacement), I'd love to join.

Blog Entries

I would like to start this in Sunday/Monday. So, people who have a little pirate hidden in their heart, come and sign up!

Sorry I-K, I've just realised this clashes rather poorly with me going away for a week, so would you be able to move me to the reserves? If you get an odd number of people I can still play, but I won't be as active as I would have liked.

Blog Entries

5(+1) players .. I really would like to see more. I can guarantee that once you start playing it will become addictive!

Peerless Senior Member johnhughthom's Avatar

Count me in, I-K.

Dark Lord of Sith Member Big Bird Hunting Champion, Squid Hunter Champion, Simpsons Shooter Champion, Fun Surfing Champion Darth Feather's Avatar

Was the person with the two a's in his name not goin to join if we started after the weekend. Yarrrrrr, I would like some rum too if ya please Sir Khaldun.
    Can we also name our ship?
    Last edited by Darth Feather; 04-01-2013 at 20:42.
    Nathaniël of the mouse guard

"Death is lighter than a feather, duty is heavier than a mountain" - Robert Jordan

The writer of above message is not responsible for any mistakes in the reasoning of said message.

I have a request, I-K. BSmith is a resident of that wretched hive of scum and villainy, CFC. As all denizens of CFC are dweebs, I would respectfully request that I not be teamed up with such an unsavoury character.

Thank you.

Certainly a resident of CFC such as yourself would be content to be with your kind?
    2B1ASK1

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Feather View Post
    Was the person with the two a's in his name not goin to join if we started after the weekend. Yarrrrrr, I would like some rum too if ya please Sir Khaldun.
    Can we also name our ship?
    Yes, you can name your ships(and I highly recommend you do so!).
    And I'll send a PM to Lazy and Dpuble A to see if they might join. After that I will elect teams and give you time to decide the roles in the team. So, we might start this on Thursday.

Arrrrrrrrrrrrr ... go on then. IN.

Quote Originally Posted by BSmith View Post
    Certainly a resident of CFC such as yourself would be content to be with your kind?
    I ain't no resident of them thair parts, I simply pass through on occasion.

I have another request I-K. Nay, a demand. My ship shall be called HMS No Dweebs or Gurls.

That's rasist!
    2B1ASK1

Ready aye ready
    Ja-mata TosaInu

Blog Entries

Teams have been created. Please, contact your teammates and decide what roles you are going to take. Also, you must choose who is the Captain and what kind of bonus do you want to your ship. Please send me a PM with that info. And don't forget to name your ship! The game will start ~24 hours from now after I get PM's from all teams.

Team 1
    @HopAlongBunny @townhughthom

Team 2
    @BSmith @LazyMcCrow

Team 3
    @Caius @Ishmael

Team 4
    @Darth Feather @edse
    Last edited by Ibn-Khaldun; 04-03-2013 at 08:18.

Just to clarify: you said in the OP that orders can be posted once per hour, but then that each stage lasts 24 hours. So how much time will take place between engagements/stages of an engagement?

Member thankful for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Ishmael View Post
    Just to clarify: you said in the OP that orders can be posted once per hour, but then that each stage lasts 24 hours. So how much time will take place between engagements/stages of an engagement?
    It was the timing that confused me and made me wary about signing up originally. I can't pretend I begin to understand it now, I just wanted to support the effort. I-K - If you could post some additional information about how you hope the game will play out - perhaps an example of what might happen over the course of a day - I'd be very grateful. Is it possible to post you orders in advance? For example - I won't be looking at the site every hour. Should we get sunk while I sleep I'd be a bit disappointed - maybe I'm missing the mechanics of how it all works, but I'd appreciate some clarification too

Like this.

Captain edse engages ship LazyMcCrow's!
    Cannons target their ships hull.

Ship: LazyMcCrow's
    Officers: Captain LazyMcCrow (Craftsman), Lieutenant BSmith (Cannoneer)
    Hull: 290 -10

And then I have to wait one hour to attack you again. We all sleep once in a while so it's more or less equal for every one.

Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast