Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678

Thread: Greek Tragedy

One of the Undutchables Member The Stranger's Avatar

Default Re: Greek Tragedy

are u enjoying ur holidays? :P

We do not sow.

COYATOYPIKC Senior Member Flatout Minigame Champion Arjos's Avatar
    Prisoners upon this rock, flying without wings...

Run and hide for the armies of Pârsa are coming!

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Humanist Senior Member Franconicus's Avatar

I am back from my holiday trip (three weeks on a trireme in eastern med)!!

Annoyingly awesome Member Booger Flick Champion, Run Sam Run Champion, Speed Cards Champion rickinator9's Avatar

What's the holdup?
    rickinator9 is either a cleverly "hidden in plain sight by jumping on the random bandwagon" scum or the ever-increasing in popularity "What the is going on?" townie. Either way I want to lynch him. - White Eyes

I have some personal trouble, which stops me from going on with the story. Sorry for that.

I will update it on Monaday, I promise!!

Don't worry! I wish you good luck and a quick solution to your predicament ^^

June 25th

Northern Theatre

After the great victory in the north, the army of the Persian General Utana is marching southwards along the coast. Without any accidents it reaches Pergamum.

Central Theatre

After his great victory at the battle of Priene, Aristogoras, the usurper from Milet, the polises of Cyme and Phocaea join the rebellion and ask for military support. Aristogoras leaves his fleet near Teos. He and his army rest for a while, then they begin to march towards Sardis. On the march, they receive message that the Persians gave up this town . However, the Ionian avant-garde is attacked at Tmolos, west of Sardis, by a Persian force and retreats to the top of a pass. After one day, the Ionians receive reinforcements. While they keep on occupying the pass, the Persians block the road to Sardis.

Southern Theatre
    Sea patrols from Cyprus try to intercept the traffic to the Soloi near Tarsus at the Cilician coast, the headquarter of Persian commander Hymaees and his force. They manage to sink five ships. Then a storm comes and damages several Cyprian ships and the admiral has to order his fleet back home. When the storm is gone, the Cyprian fleet returns and finds out that the Persian fleet left Soloi. According to spies they are bound for Phoenicia. Spies also report that an army of Cilician warriors gathers around Soloi.

Greek
    The Greek Polises meet to discuss the situation at Asia. All of them feel sympathy for their Ionian brothers, but there are only few voices voting to get involved into the war. Especially the princes of the smaller cities do not see any advantage to make war against mighty Persia and Persian agents do their best to support this point of view. But also the greater powers like Sparta and Athens seem to be undecided.

Member thankful for this post:

Arjos 

it would be best if we can find a replacement for me :S i dont think i will be able to continue this game anymore. sorry

We do not sow.

Playing without "Fighting" Stranger?

Well, I assume this comes to an end - mainly my fault, I guess. So let me give you my view on things:

I think the innitial situation was clear: the rebels had the innitiative, the Persians were stronger in the long run. So the Ionainas had every reason to act quickly and decisive. Stranger had a strong army ready for combat and Greyblades had a superior force on his island. Together they controlled the sea. King Kurt had no opponent at all. The rebellion took the Persians by surprise, they had to build up new armies, get them to the rebelling provinces and build up a fleet.

To my surprise, the Ionians acted very passive. King Kurt did nothing but "prepare the cities for siege". Stranger did nothing as well, although he could have used his fleet to attack anything along the coast or could have used his army to attack Sardis (what happened in history!). Greyblades obviously hesitated to attack a fortified city, although he had superior forces. My only explanation is that Stranger and GB were not familiar with the type of game and did not really know what they could do.

Persians did better, they recruited suitable forces and began to deploy them. Two armies in the right size is something you can start a campaign with. Maybe it would have been better to recruit a third "army in reserve", to replace casualties and to send soldiers for garrisons. This would have guaranteed that the two armies kept on running.

It was amazing that both sides ignored reconnaisance. King Kurt fortified his towns, so he must have been sure that the persians would come, but he was taken by surprise and took the first defeat. Only then he began to think how he could defend himself (it was too late for any alternative like retreating or calling for supporters). So he decided to concentrate his soldiers to one city to stand the invasion of the superior Persian force. On the long run, he had no chance. His tactics were simple - hold the fort at any cost and never give up. Actually he took Arjos by surprise as he decided to take a desperate counterstrike. Arjos had already pulled off some forces as he was sure that King Kurt was already defeated. Although Arjos suffered a defeat, he could clear the situation by calling back his diverted troops.

It seems that Greyblades does not like the brutal phalanx warfare. He tried to reorganize his troops in a lighter manner and execute special operations. My opinion was that it was not the best thing he could do with the men he has got. Finally he decided to attack his enemy and won.

Stranger als decided to fight. He had his fleet and his army was superior to the Persians. In my opinion his plans were to complex for a commander who had so many unprofessional soldiers from different allies and unexperient commanders without suitable communication means. Nevertheless he managed to defeat a Persian army.
    On the other side, Rickinator was willing to fight. His plan was to search for the enemy and to attack - maybe a bit too simple.

Members thankful for this post (4):

Quote Originally Posted by Franconicus View Post
    Maybe it would have been better to recruit a third "army in reserve", to replace casualties and to send soldiers for garrisons. This would have guaranteed that the two armies kept on running.
    Honestly I already felt bad having left 5,000 reserves in Sardis lol
    I had no qualms in calling for reinforcements, but starting with like 200,000 men against what the other players had simply felt wrong :P

It was amazing that both sides ignored reconnaisance.
    We are all gentlemen and we face each other fairly XD
    I did send few cavalry scouts, but mainly away from the cities, expecting Hellenic troops to attack my rear...
    Last edited by Arjos; 10-13-2013 at 09:19.

thanks for hosting the game! i wouldnt say that it is your fault or anyones, but i have to focus on my studies now so i cant play this anymore :S

you are right about your conclusion, i simply didnt realise how the greek position was at start and what the possibilities were which i had at my disposal. i simply didnt really get the game :P maybe it was me not having understood things right and making up things about the persians which werent true, but for me it wasnt all that clear that i could strike at the persians so soon.

i didnt attack sardis because historically it was a disaster and i had RTW in mind so i figured giant stone walls and i didnt have any siege so didnt really want to risk anything. had i realise the potential of my fleet earlier, perhaps i couldve done some more damage and convinced more cities to join the rebellion. its funny how the persians didnt realise how mobile the fleet made me and were constantly wondering where these reinforcements were coming from, as if new armies spawned everywhere :P

however some features kind of confused me because for example when i did use recon, i still walked into an ambush :S and i never really got anything significant out of my scouts. also i think that maybe i shouldve recruited mercs sooner, though i dont know if i had that possibility. lacking a cavalry arm was really crippling my battle plans. as for the plans being too difficult, im not sure, everything i did was stuff i read in battle rapports about the period :S but perhaps my soldiers were indeed not professional enough and the commanders too inexperienced to pull it off.
    Last edited by The Stranger; 10-13-2013 at 11:01.

We do not sow.

Sorry I wasn't more active in this and it's not your fault it didn't work out.

If you guys are interested in playing in my "Create your own empire" game then let me know and we can still do it.

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678