Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Greek Tragedy

Humanist Senior Member Franconicus's Avatar

Default Re: Greek Tragedy

Deadline is over and I will try to continue the story on Monday.
    Haven't received anything from Caria and Helespont, so I assume these provinces are still quiet.
    The Stranger owes me still a speech!!!

" Hammer of the East" Member King Kurt's Avatar

Sorry about delay on orders - just sent them in and replied to PMs - just back from my hols!!

By the way, in the interactive, I will be assuming the role of Miltiades, Lord of the Hellespont
    "Some people say MTW is a matter of life or death - but you have to realise it is more important than that"
    With apologies to Bill Shankly

My first balloon - for "On this day in History"

One of the Undutchables Member The Stranger's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Franconicus View Post
    Deadline is over and I will try to continue the story on Monday.
    Haven't received anything from Caria and Helespont, so I assume these provinces are still quiet.
    The Stranger owes me still a speech!!!
    oh i thought i had to give u that this turn? sorry misunderstood :P i will send it tomorrow or saturday!

We do not sow.

Second Chapter - Fist half of year 24

The Ionian rebellion quickly spreads. The cities of Ephesus, Colophon, Lebedos, Teos, Clazomenae, and Erythrae, and the islands of Samos and Chios join Aristagoras. He gathers his army at Milet and prepares the defense of the town. While his army is exercising, Aristogoras himself sails to the Greek homeland to gather supporters. His journey is not very successful, only Athens and the city of Eritria decide to support him with troops. However, when he returns home, he hears news that other areas of the Persian Empire arose, too.

At Cyprus, Onesilus uses the occasion of the Ionian revolt to capture the city of Salamis and usurp his brother’s throne; he is able to win every city on the island except for the Graeco-Phoenician city-state of Amathus, which stays loyal to the Persians. He calls himself now "King of the United Kingdom of Cyprus"; Onesilus besieges the city to wipe out the last stronghold of the Persians on the island.

At the Hellespont the cities of Dardanus, Abydos, Percote, Lampsacus and Paesus decide to use the opportunity to free themselves from the Persian rule.

By contrast, the cities of Caria Myus, Priene, Mydnos, Helicarnassus remain loyal to Persia.

Until now, the rebelling cities are still waiting for the reaction of Dareios. But has the King of the Kings already realized that the outmost part of his empire revolts? Only rumors arrive at the Ionian coast: One says that the Persian gather a huge army at Phygria with more than 200,000 men. Others say that a mighty fleet of Phoenician and Egyptian warships already set sails to attack Cyprus. Even others swear that they saw an arm
    my of at least 150,000 men gathering at Cilicia.

If these rumors are true, the situation may soon escalate.

Members thankful for this post (3):

Blog Entries

"Dareios,

You elevated the wrong brother, I have corrected that mistake.

Onesilus"
    Last edited by Greyblades; 04-10-2013 at 21:36.
    Being better than the worst does not inherently make you good. But being better than the rest lets you brag.

Quote Originally Posted by Strike For The South View Post
    Don't be scared that you don't freak out. Be scared when you don't care about freaking out
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Blog Entries

so... anyone got anything to say?
    Being better than the worst does not inherently make you good. But being better than the rest lets you brag.

Don't be scared that you don't freak out. Be scared when you don't care about freaking out

The time for words has passed, now is the time for spears and shields! I call upon all free men, subdued within the boundaries of this all devouring beast to join our cause. Pick up your sword, pick up your spear or axe, and together we shall bring down this beast and still its hunger once and for all!
    Last edited by The Stranger; 04-11-2013 at 10:54.

We do not sow.

You may know that the Persians have their own PFN (Persian Forces Network). So do not expect them to post here. Kival was so scared abou the revolt, that he went into hiding. Or is it because of the reason that two German clubs reached the semi-finals and he cannot stop partying? Hope he will pop up soon, or I will have to take control of his cities. K.K. finally appeared again and he should know the last chapter at least. I think he is still paralyzed about the fact the there is no more English club in the Champions League. What a pity!

I think that violance may break out soon and every party should send instructions for this case, please!

when is the deadline?

We do not sow.

COYATOYPIKC Senior Member Flatout Minigame Champion Arjos's Avatar
    Prisoners upon this rock, flying without wings...

You may know that the Persians have their own PFN (Persian Forces Network). So do not expect them to post here.
    We are reading, but it's not like there's much to say in here :P

Quote Originally Posted by Franconicus
    Kival was so scared abou the revolt, that he went into hiding.
    He hasn't logged since easter, I think he's in some sort of vacation...

Blog Entries

We are reading, but it's not like there's much to say in here :P
    You silly persian Kingggniggets! I fart on your general direction! Your mother was a hamster and your father smelt of elderberries! Now go away or I shall taunt you a second time!

. K.K. finally appeared again and he should know the last chapter at least. I think he is still paralyzed about the fact the there is no more English club in the Champions League. What a pity!

I think that violance may break out soon and every party should send instructions for this case, please!
    I shold point out that the only English club worth talking about -Fulham- did OK during their Eurpean adventure reaching the Final and leaving a couple of German teams in tears in their wake!!!!

The Lord of the Hellespont is currently cruising the Blue waters of the sea of Marmara, contemplating his next move - no sign of the Persian dogs. obviously running scared from the serried ranks of Greek spears.
    "Some people say MTW is a matter of life or death - but you have to realise it is more important than that"

Quote Originally Posted by King Kurt View Post
    I shold point out that the only English club worth talking about -Fulham- did OK during their Eurpean adventure reaching the Final and leaving a couple of German teams in tears in their wake!!!!

The Lord of the Hellespont is currently cruising the Blue waters of the sea of Marmara, contemplating his next move - no sign of the Persian dogs. obviously running scared from the serried ranks of Greek spears.

Fulham? Isn't that an Arabian club??

Deadline on Friday!
    Don't forget to send me the deployments of your troops!

Blog Entries

Ug, my kingdom for the ability to create catapults!

Annoyingly awesome Member Booger Flick Champion, Run Sam Run Champion, Speed Cards Champion rickinator9's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Greyblades View Post
    Ug, my kingdom for the ability to create catapults!
    Why would you need catapults if you continue to cowardly hide on your island drinking wine all day?
    rickinator9 is either a cleverly "hidden in plain sight by jumping on the random bandwagon" scum or the ever-increasing in popularity "What the is going on?" townie. Either way I want to lynch him. - White Eyes

Annoyingly awesome Member Booger Flick Champion, Run Sam Run Champion, Speed Cards Champion rickinator9's Avatar

Edit: Doublepost
    rickinator9 is either a cleverly "hidden in plain sight by jumping on the random bandwagon" scum or the ever-increasing in popularity "What the is going on?" townie. Either way I want to lynch him. - White Eyes

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by rickinator9 View Post
    Why would you need catapults if you continue to cowardly hide on your island drinking wine all day?
    I have a desperate need to paint a few walls persian red.

I hav received orders from Milet, Cyprus and the Persians.

Perhaps send those players a PM in case they don't check the thread too often.

Orders in - sorry re the delay. We had good weather this weekend - the first since about September so naturally I went to the beach!! Historic note - it was Queen Victoria and Albert's private beach complete with her private bathing machine. No sign of Albert's towel on the sunlounger though!!

Alright, I hope I get the next chapter during the week.

Cool Re: Greek Tragedy

The bards are preparing an epic poem in celebration of Greek success even as you write!!!!

Blog Entries

And my bards are trying to scare a city into submission. Yes they are that bad.

Just a short note before the bardes begin their balads: This is a war campaign. Technological developments do nt mean a lot, economy and diplomacy have only monor impacts.

The focus is war. So do what every good commander has to do:
    1) Get your troops fit for combat.
    2) Become familiar with the strength and weakness of your troops and of those of the enemy.
    3) Find the right strategy.
    4) Find the right tactics.
    5) Win!

Every player should have finished step 4.

Blog Entries

If I was allowed a catapult I would have won by now. Bwahahah etc.
    Last edited by Greyblades; 04-26-2013 at 18:03.

If the Persians had nukes ...

Third Chapter - Second half of year 24

As the year goes on, it seems as the conflict makes a break. In the south, Onesilos still besieges the Cyprus city of Amathus. Although the defenders are outnumbered badly, progress is poor. Onesilos' troops keep far away from the city walls, which they do not dare to assault. They begin to dig trenches to the walls, but this takes time. In the meanwhile, Onesilos makes his troops.

The besieger try to weaken the defenders with a marching band, which makes such a noise that nobody is able to sleep. It seems that one day even Onesilos is bored by the slow progress and orders to attack - during night. About 3 o'clock in the morning archers approach the city from different directions, shoot fire arrows into the city and then retreat once they have sent one volley over the walls, regroup and attack a different area. Soon, all the citizens are fighting the fire while the soldiers equip walls. Then, a fire ship approaches from the seaside and attracts the attention of the guards there. A landing stage is destroyed, but as the ships of Amathus are inside the walls, there is no further damage. Many citizens gathered at the walls to watch the burning ship and stage. They see a couple of men trying to intrude from the seaside. The alarmed soldiers can easily overwhelm them.

At Miletus, Aristogoras is forced to gather more funds to pay his mercenaries. Some of the citizens of Miletus and the allied cities seem to think now that it might have been wiser to stay Persian than to lose all the money. Three farmers try to leave the town with their property. They are executed. Aristogoras does not dare to attack Sardis, but he sends troops to pillage the fields around the city. He also tells his fleet to hunt Persian ships. Obviously he is trying to provoke a Persian reaction, something that should not be hard to achieve.

In November news arrives at Miletus that Persian reinforcements arrive at Sardis and that more than 20,000 Persians camp at Cyme to prepare a campaign against Arisotgoras and his followers.

Themistocles imposes a tariff on all ships moving through the Dardenelles. He tries to prepare his army for war. Raises militia, strengthen defences, city walls and stockpiles food from local area. However, he is taken by surprise by the unexpected approach of a Persian army. Over 20,000 Persian soldiers under the command of Ottanes - among them a lot of cavalry - threatens the city of Paesus. The garrison, only 1,500 soldiers, and 50 citizens try to retreat to Lampsacus. However, Persian cavalry catches them and only 500 manage to reach the city walls of Lampsacus. Paesus is now controlled by Ottanes and may be the base for conquering the coast of Troad.

Caria is now controlled by me, at least temporarilly.

Members thankful for this post (3):

Blog Entries

Knew it wouldnt be that easy.

May become worse!

Now that the hostile armies are close, I would like to shorten the time steps. So please make your orders for the period of the next months.
    I would also like to give you maximum influence. You can give details to the deployment of your troops, basic orders for combat, location etc. In this age, the commander had little influence during battle. Usually he fought somewhere in the battle line.

Please tell me where your character will be!

How much time do you need?

can we have a detailed map then? i looked but couldnt really find a good one, if anyone has can he share it?

We do not sow.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast