Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Greek Tragedy

Annoyingly awesome Member Booger Flick Champion, Run Sam Run Champion, Speed Cards Champion rickinator9's Avatar

Default Re: Greek Tragedy

Quote Originally Posted by The Stranger View Post
    IF you surrender now I promise you no harm will come to you and your men, otherwise I can promise only death and shattered shields. And trust me, the bronze shield of the mighty Greek does not shatter easily, so make no mistake as to who will be dead and vanquished at the end when the battle is done and the sky mimics the red earth and will weep tears for the fallen.
    Someone is feeling the pressure!
    rickinator9 is either a cleverly "hidden in plain sight by jumping on the random bandwagon" scum or the ever-increasing in popularity "What the is going on?" townie. Either way I want to lynch him. - White Eyes

One of the Undutchables Member The Stranger's Avatar

but we all agree on the shoreline/map issue?

We do not sow.

Annoyingly awesome Member Booger Flick Champion, Run Sam Run Champion, Speed Cards Champion rickinator9's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Stranger View Post
    but we all agree on the shoreline/map issue?
    I don't see much of a difference between the shorelines. Please elaborate.
    rickinator9 is either a cleverly "hidden in plain sight by jumping on the random bandwagon" scum or the ever-increasing in popularity "What the is going on?" townie. Either way I want to lynch him. - White Eyes

We do not sow.

when is the next deadline?

We do not sow.

COYATOYPIKC Senior Member Flatout Minigame Champion Arjos's Avatar
    Prisoners upon this rock, flying without wings...

Soon as we have sent orders? :P
    Last edited by Arjos; 05-29-2013 at 17:25.

Humanist Senior Member Franconicus's Avatar

I already received one order. Is it possible to get the rest this weekend, or are there any tests ahead?
    Orders should cover the next three months.

" Hammer of the East" Member King Kurt's Avatar

I should have mine in on Monday
    "Some people say MTW is a matter of life or death - but you have to realise it is more important than that"
    With apologies to Bill Shankly

My first balloon - for "On this day in History"

For those of you who want to blitz:

Marching distance

Normal marching distance is 22 km per day, with recreation every 3rd or 4rth day.
    Maximum speed is 80km for cavalry and 50km for infantry. This can only be done one single day under good conditions.
    For two days the maximum is 100km for cavalry and 70km for infantry.

Larger formation (10,000 and more) may only move 30 km per day.

Of course, travelling by ship may be faster:
    Average speed, taken from Xenophon, is about 8 knots over a 236 km distance. Taking "a long day's voyage", that is 16 to 18 hours, counting a midday meal.
    Thoukydides records also a non-stop 340 km voyage, in little over a day. But this would tire the men incredibly and they wouldn't be battle-ready.

More about the ships:
    Naval warfare is based on the triremes, a ship type well-known for all parties.

The triremes is fast and high maneuverable. However, it is not built to withstand storms and its capacity to carry troops or goods is limited.

Standard crews consist 200 men, including 170 rowers and between 18 marines. Vessels can also carry horses. The more it carries, the slower the ship gets and the more likely it is to sink.

Ships from Athens usually carry 14 hoplites and 4 archers. Persians usually have 40 marines.
    Admirals from Athens try to out-maneuver their enemies and sink them by ramming while ships from other regions – Persia or Sparta – prefer to fight with the infantry.

Triremes can also be used as transports, and then they have only 60 rowers. Then they are able to transport up to 100 soldiers.

So a fleet of 200 triremes with 40 soldiers on board of each ship can transport 8,000 soldiers.

The triremes carry food and water for one day. Then they have to stop and get new supply. They also have to look for shelter if there is a storm coming. If a triremes stays in the water for several day, it becomes slow. So it is reasonable to carry them on the beach each night.

For these reasons, campaigns on sea depend strongly on bases, where the ships can find shelter and supply.

Members thankful for this post (2):

thanks!

i want to put forward a motion, since the game is now picking up some pace and things start to get going, can we go to 1 month turns? 3 months is way too much to plan ahead for. the nature of this game i think it will be more fun if the turns were shorter so you can better react to what the other is doing. i have no problem with turning in orders at a bit faster rate if thats neccesary.

does anyone (dis)agree?
    Last edited by The Stranger; 05-31-2013 at 13:12.

We do not sow.

I agree. 3 months is just too much time. Basil II would move his army from Constantinople to Antioch in 16 days, so even a month might be too much

Blog Entries

It is becoming problematic trying to predict what the situation will be in 3 months time. I agree.
    Being better than the worst does not inherently make you good. But being better than the rest lets you brag.

Quote Originally Posted by Strike For The South View Post
    Don't be scared that you don't freak out. Be scared when you don't care about freaking out
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

since ricki and i are online at the same time often, and quite often online :P it would also be awesome if we could play our battle out in "real time" with the host present ofcourse. I think there would be less dancing around then :D

We do not sow.

Let's say you plan for one moment and have to replan as soon as you cross the enemies path.

COYATOYPIKC Senior Member Flatout Minigame Champion Arjos's Avatar
    Prisoners upon this rock, flying without wings...

Those inter-chapter battle PMs, with interactive options, could be a nice way to tackle this, sure :)

As for the one month periods, I have no issue with it, so long as everyone can keep up with the fast pace...
    Last edited by Arjos; 05-31-2013 at 18:16.

Now I got Arjos and TS. Where is the rest?

Only King Kurt is missing!

Quote Originally Posted by Franconicus View Post
    Only King Kurt is missing!
    Sorry! Will send soon
    "Some people say MTW is a matter of life or death - but you have to realise it is more important than that"

My orders are in.
    Happy Birthday for yesterday Franc!! Consider my orders an early present!

I now dub you, the Late King Kurt of the Hellespont Crossing.

We do not sow.

Quote Originally Posted by King Kurt View Post
    My orders are in.
    Happy Birthday for yesterday Franc!! Consider my orders an early present!

thank you!

Beginning of April 25 - First five days

- Northern Theatre - Battle of Abydos

Ottanes offers Themistocles to surrender. There is no reply, but the Persians can see that most of the Ionian ships leave the harbor. Finally Ottanes decides to assault the city. However, bunches of light infantry try to attack the rearguards of the Persians and Ottanes has to use his cavalry to defeat them. Then, at the fourth day, the main battle begins. The Persian army forms eight forces of 1.000 sparabara, 1.000 takabara, 375 archers and 125 cavalry, keeping the cavalry as reserve. The forces approach the city walls from different directions and try to climb them with their ladders. The defenders man the walls. The god of war seems to be uncertain which side will receive the price for victory and obviously he needs more blood to decide.

The invaders attack with rams, ladders and arrows, the defenders reply with rocks and javelins. At the western gate, the Persians manage to reach the top of the walls. The defense begins to shake, but Themistocles arrives in time with some reinforcements. There is a brutal close combat on the walls. Just when it seems that the Ionian can drive the Persians from the walls, all over sudden the doors of the gate break and Persian spabaras penetrate. Themistocles calls hoplites to form a new human barricade.
    While the battle rages high in the west, another hot spot is the southern gate, where the Persians are commanded by Ottanes himself. Although the Persians suffer severe casualties, they reach the top of the walls and soon one of the towers burns. Themistocles' attention is caught by the fighting at the western gate, where he can finally push back the Persians and build barricades to close the gate. When he realizes the critical situation in the south, masses of Persians stream into the city. Themistocles is forces to call back his troops from the walls. Most of them reach the second line of defense, which includes the Acropolis and the harbor. Night falls and Ottanes decides to wait for the morning to continue the battle.

Themistocles talks to his men and tries to encourage them. With only five ships in the harbor, he tells them, there is no way to retreat. He also sends citizens to the Persians for peace negotiations. Around midnight, Themistocles sees that his men gained there fighting spirit back and he decides to set all on one card, a surprise attack.

So shortly after the middle of the night, the Ionian troops are gathering silently near the west and the south gate. Then after a signal, they begin to assault the night guards of the Persians. They attack in silence and Thermistocles wonders what is going on. Then he hears a signal horn in the west and shortly after this another tune in the south: the gates are secured again. Light troops attack the Persians which are still on the walls

Encouraged by this initial success, the Ionians try to assault the camp of their enemies and to kill Ottanes himself. They reach the camp and in the darkness of the night, a close combat takes place. Although the Ionian wear white signs for identification, more than once friends are killing friends accidentally. The fighting goes forwards and backwards, Themistocles now in the middle of his men, trying to find his opponent. However, the Persian prince cannot be found. With the first light of the day, Persian cavalry appears and decides the battle. The Ionian hurry back into the city walls, preparing for a longer besiege.

During the same night another Persian force under Ottanes himself occupies Dardanus.

- Central Theatre - Battle of Priene:

Daurises leaves a small garrison at Ephesus and makes his army march to the sea, where it follows the coast to Marathesion, where it camps for the night. Next day the Persians leave the coast and turn to Malandros, which they reach in the afternoon. On the morning of the third day, Daurises' army marches southeast towards Priene to unite his army with the Carian force. In the afternoon, when the vanguard reaches Priene, the Carians already left the place. Daurises decides to camp in the city, while patrols try to find the Carian army. On the fourth day, his patrols report that the Carians are near the Panionium, the Ionian sanctuary dedicated to Poseidon. It is placed on Mount Mycone, 750 meters above the sea, an ideal place from where one can watch all sides of the Mycone peninsula. The Carian army itself, 10,000 men in total, block the path that leads to the sanctuary. It is obvious that the Carians are not willing to join the Persian forces.

Daurises calls his 20,000 men to arms and soon his army is ready to decamp. Before he gives the signal to leave, a messenger from the garrison of Ephesus arrives:

"Noble strategos, the commander of your troops at Ephesos sends me. I have to report that at the evening of the second day after your departure a fleet of about 200 triremes appeared at the beach between Colophon and Ephesus and an Ionian army debarked. The enemy is about 15,000 soldiers strong, mainly hoplites. The commander of Ephesus expects the enemy to attack Ephesus next morning."

Daurises decides to clear the situation at Ephesos before he deals with Caria. The Persian army decamps immediately, marching back the route it came the day before. Only a strong rear guard is left behind to make sure that the Carians will not be able to disturb the Persian movement.

The columns are marching along a strip of beach between the ocean and the mountains, which smoothly grow at the northern side. Sometime they come as close as about 1 km to the sea, sometimes they leave deep valley.
    After two and a half hour scouts report that there is a strong army right in front of the marching columns. Daurises rides to the front and sees that there are about 10,000 Ionian soldiers on the beach. It is obvious that they landed not long ago, as there are still the ships in the bay. There is no doubt that these are enemy. Finally the Persians will be able to fight them.
    Daurises gives his men orders to take formation. He gives instructions to the commanders of the divisions and then he makes a speech to his men. Before the battle begins he receives the message that the rear guard is involved in combat with the Carians.
    In the meantime, Aristogoras also notices the Persians. His men landed just a couple of hours ago and are now scarifying the God of the Ocean. Like his opponent, Aristogoras is eager for combat. He quickly calls his troops to arms. He deploys 9,000 hoplites in ranks of 8 men deep at a narrow place between the mountains and the sea. In their rear and at the flanks there are 400 archers, 300 slingers and 300 javelins. A reserve of 1,000 Miletesian hoplites under direct command of Aristogoras stays behind. Waiting for the enemy to open battle, Aristogoras held a speech:

Raise your spears, raise your shields, rise so no Greek may ever feel the Persian whip again! Sons of Greece, of Olympus, my brothers! I see in your eyes the same fear that would take the heart of me. A day may come when the courage of the Greeks fails, when we forsake our friends and break all bonds of fellowship, but it is not this day. An hour of woes and shattered shields, when Zeus’ wrath descends upon the sons of our sons and the age of men comes crashing down! But it is not this day! This day we fight! And if they ever tell my story, let them say I fought alongside giants. Men rise and fall like winter wheat, but your names will never die.

By all that you hold dear on this good Earth, I bid you fight, sons of Greece! For freedom! To death and ruin or victory and glory!!!

Finally, the sun is almost on top, the battle begins. The Persian infantry is approaching with 5,500 heavy infantry and 5,500 archers. The Ionian hoplites are standing still and wait for their opponents. The light troops open hostilities. Showers of arrows come down to the lines of the Ionians while the sparabaras begin awfully to howl. Aristogoras is getting uneasy. From his position, he is not able to see what is going on. But at least he sees that his men are still holding the position.
    The Persian archers keep on peppering the Ionian formation and cause some disorder. Finally, the sparabaras begin to advance slowly. The hoplites begin to move also to decrease the distance to the enemy and to get out of the arrow fire. Soon the two battle line clash against each others. At the same time, the Persian cavalry appears from the hang of the next hill and storms against the right wing of the Ionians. Aristogoras sees this threat and leads his reserve to the right flank to fight this danger. 4,000 Persian horsemen rapidly blow away the slingers and javelins which should cover the Ionian flank and throw their javelins into the ranks of the hoplites. Attacked by the heavy infantry frontal and peppered by Persian cavalry by side and rear, the Ionian hoplites begin to give up their formation. First hoplites throw away their shields and try to leave the battlefield. Aristogoras makes his men run, although this is very exhausting with the heavy arms in the midday heat. But he knows there is no time to waste.
    The Persian cavalry chases the retreating hoplites, but it stops when it sees the new force approaching. The Persians through more javelin to the Ionian reserve - Daurises himself, who leads the cavalry charge - throws a javelin against Aristogoras, but then the riders turn around and disappear in the mountains. Aristogoras follows them some hundred meters to the top of a hill, then he makes his men rest and uses the high viewing point to see what is going on at the other side of the battle ground.
    He notices that the Ionian hoplites got upper hand against the sparabaras. His men are slowly advancing, pushing the enemy step by step backwards. The Persian archers are not able to interfere in this close combat. Finally, the sparabaras loose their nerves and run away. The hoplites follow them as fast as possible, but the lighter armed Persians are faster and soon there is enough distance between the combatants for the archers to open fire again. For a moment, this stops the advance of the Ionians, but then they begin to run as far as they can to overrun the retreating sparabaras and the archers. Aristogoras is satisfied. If his men drive the Persians to the Carians, the battle will be an outstanding triumph. While chasing the Persians, the Ionian order is getting less dense and at some places, it disbands completely. Then, however, the fate of war seems to turn. All over sudden, 4,000 takabaras storm out of a mountain valley straight into the already weakened left flank of the Ionians. They penetrate the rows of the hoplites and now they fight in close combat. Aristogoras cries from anger. He and his men are far behind the fighting. Once again he has to make his men run, but it seems as if it is far too late as he passes bunches of hoplites, who threw away their lances and shields. Aristogoras makes his men stop and closing ranks. They turn their lances against the fleeing comrades, driving them back against the Persians. While the right wing of the Ionians is dissolving, the left wing is still driving Persians away. So as a result of this, the Ionian battle formation as a whole turns to the left, and the left wing is now marching against the takabaras.
    While Aristogoras finally reaches the combat zone, the sparabaras gather again and return to the battle again. With them are the archers and the rest of the Persian cavalry. Additionally, it seems as if the Persians receive also reinforcements. Several thousand light and heavy infantry men join the Persian force and Daurises hurries them to concentrate against the Ionian right wing. The men of Aristogoras are already weakened and in disorder. Many of them lost spears and shields and are fighting now with their swords. The blows of the swords on the armors sound like braziers at work. In the end, the Ionians cannot stop the assault of the Persians. Arisotgoras gathers his men around him for a last stand and prays for night or Carian to come.
    Obviously, a merciful god heard that prayer and sends the Carians just at that moment. Thousand hoplites approach the battleground. They are running as fast as a well armed hoplite can run and although this is still rather slow, it is fast enough to make the Persians run. Not waiting for any new orders, the Persian army hurries towards Malandros while the Carians join the rest of Aritogoras' force. Night falls when Arisotgoras and Daurises count the casualties.
    Last edited by Franconicus; 06-24-2013 at 14:28. Reason: update

Members thankful for this post (5):

So if anybody wants to give precise orders (esp. Arjos, KK, rickinator9 and TS), do it until Wednesday evening.

Do I get more from rickinator and King Kurt?

Working on mine at the moment orders soon

Those British (sigh) - always have to stop battle for teatime.

Blog Entries

"These English are a strange people. They came here in the morning, looked at the wall, walked over it, killed all the garrison, and returned to breakfast. What can withstand them?"
    Being better than the worst does not inherently make you good. But being better than the rest lets you brag.

Quote Originally Posted by Strike For The South View Post
    Don't be scared that you don't freak out. Be scared when you don't care about freaking out
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

trololololololololololololololoololololololololoololoolololololololololololololollolollololololololo lololololololololoooo

We do not sow.

I promise to make an update at least on Friday with the results of two battles. So stay tuned!!

Member thankful for this post:

Arjos 

omg cant wait that long, ricki tell me your adress, well solve this with single combat.

We do not sow.

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast