Thread: Greece Independence day

strategy gamer Member Enemy Shooting Champion, Rabbit Hunter Champion, Eggs Champion, Kaboom Champion, Money Money Money Champion, Rapid Motion Champion, Super Fishing Champion komnenos's Avatar

Default Greece Independence day

Today , 25th March is Greece independence day. I congratulate this day to all of Greeks who live around the world. I wish more succession for my grand country,Greece.
    This Revolution was a successful war against Ottoman Empire between 1821 and 1832.
    When The Great Byzantine Empire fell down in 1453 by the Turks. Greece and Asia minor came under ottoman rule. The Greeks especially followers of Palaiologos dynasty tried to destroy the Turk's Sultanate but they couldn't achieve success.
    But in 1814 Greeks founded a secret organization called Filiki Eteria in order to liberate Greece. This organization provoked revolts in Peloponnese, Constantinople, and Danubian Principalities. For example in 6 March 1821 in the Danubian Principalities as the first revolt they fought with Turks however Turks put down them. But this urged Greeks into action. By October the Greeks had captured Tripolitsa by lead of Theodoros Kolokotronis. And this revolt followed by revolts in Crete, Macedonia, and Central Greece, which would be soon suppressed. Also Greek navy achieve success against the Ottoman navy in the Aegean sea and prevented Ottoman reinforcements from arriving by the sea.
    In this time Ottoman Sultan negotiated with Mehmet Ali of Egypt who agreed to send Ibrahim Pasha, his son to Greece with an army to suppress the revolt. Unfortunately by the end of 1825 most of the Peloponnese was under Egyptian control and Ibrahim retook Athens.
    In this terrible situation three Great powers decided to intervene in the conflict and they sent a navy to Greece. The allied fleet intercepted the Ottoman-Egyptian fleets at Navarino. Following a week long standoff, a battle began which resulted in the destruction of the Ottoman-Egyptian fleet. With the help of a French Expeditionary force , the Greeks drove the Turks out of the Peloponnese and proceeded to the captured part of Central Greece by 1828. As a result of years of negotiation, Greece was finally recognized as an independent nation in May 1832.
    He who has bread has many problems;

He who has no bread has only one problem.

Byzantine Proverb

strategy gamer Member Enemy Shooting Champion, Rabbit Hunter Champion, Eggs Champion, Kaboom Champion, Money Money Money Champion, Rapid Motion Champion, Super Fishing Champion komnenos's Avatar

Default Re: Greece Independence day

This is the complete map of this revolution.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Greekhistory.gif 
Views:	175 
Size:	29.7 KB 
ID:	8837

Byzantine Proverb

And these are some of important revolutionaries:
    1.Alexander Ypsilantis(who was a prince of Danubian Principalities, a leader of the Filiki Eteria and also a senior officer of the imperial Russian cavalry during the Napoleonic Wars. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Alexander2.jpg 
Views:	168 
Size:	29.3 KB 
ID:	8838
    2.Ioannis Kapodistrias (who was elected as the first head of state of independent Greece and is considered the founder of the modern Greek state. He had been a Greek foreign Minister of the Russian Empire.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Alexander2.jpg 
Views:	138 
Size:	42.1 KB 
ID:	8839
    3.Otto of Greece (who became the first modern King of Greece in 1832 under convention of London) Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Otto_of_Greece.jpg 
Views:	145 
Size:	11.3 KB 
ID:	8840
    4.Theodoros Kololotronis (who was mentioned before) Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Kolokotronis_Theodore.jpg 
Views:	148 
Size:	73.5 KB 
ID:	8841
    5.Demetrios Ypsilantis (who was a dragoman of the Ottoman Empire, served as an officer in the Imperial Russian Army and was appointed as modern Greece's first field Marshal by Ioannis Kapodistrias. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Dimitrios_Ypsilantis_-_Sp__Prosalentis.jpg 
Views:	144 
Size:	27.5 KB 
ID:	8842
    6.Lord Byron ( was an English poet, who travelled to fight against the Ottoman Empire and Greeks reserve him as anational hero. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Byron_1824.jpg 
Views:	147 
Size:	29.9 KB 
ID:	8843
    7.Antonios Kriezis (who was a captain of the Greek navy during the war of independence and a Prime Minister of Greece from 1849 to 1854.) Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Kriezis.jpg 
Views:	140 
Size:	40.4 KB 
ID:	8844
    8. and the others

Byzantine Proverb

Some event pictures are here:
    1.Battle of Navarino : Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Russians_at_navarino.jpg 
Views:	157 
Size:	414.0 KB 
ID:	8845
    2.The burning of the Ottoman frigate at Eressos: Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Fire_ship_by_Volanakis.jpg 
Views:	150 
Size:	143.9 KB 
ID:	8846
    3.Massacres of Chios : Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Delacroix_massaker_von_chios.jpg 
Views:	143 
Size:	58.2 KB 
ID:	8847 (During the independence war many civilians were killed by Turks especially in Anatolia, Crete, Constantinople, Cyprus, Mani, and the Aegean islands)
    4. The sortie of Missolonghi: Click image for larger version. 

Name:	The_sortie_of_Messologhi_by_Theodore_Vryzakis.jpg 
Views:	158 
Size:	48.2 KB 
ID:	8848

Byzantine Proverb

Well, congratulations.
    This space intentionally left blank.

'Long Live the Greeks'

My ancestors fought and died in most of those battles for independence.

May they, and all others who sacrificed, long be remembered for their sacrifices. Lest we forget.

Zarakas

Sovereign Oppressor Member TIE Fighter Shooter Champion, Turkey Shoot Champion, Juggler Champion Kralizec's Avatar

Nice pictures.

I wish more succession and more achievements for my countrymen. Good Luck.
    Last edited by komnenos; 03-28-2013 at 07:40.

Byzantine Proverb

I again congratulate this great day, 25th March! And again wish more success for my all countrymen!
    Usually in 25th march or some days after is great days for gamers! For example this year many games or DLCs are going to be released like: Rajas of India, Hannibal at the gates, Castlevania: Lords of Shadow – Mirror of Fate HD , Age of wonders III ,etc. Just in about 5 days we see many gifts from God!
    ευτυχισμένος Ημέρα της Ελληνικής Ανεξαρτησίας

Byzantine Proverb

Senior Member Senior Member Fisherking's Avatar

Another Happy Independence Day Greece! Wish I were there to help celebrate.

A great people.

Education: that which reveals to the wise,
    and conceals from the stupid,
    the vast limits of their knowledge.
    Mark Twain

A belated (but sincere) Happy Independence Day!
    Ja-mata TosaInu

Tovenaar Senior Member The Wizard's Avatar

What exactly is so celebratory about an event that inaugurated twelve years of bloodshed for the population of that part of the Balkan peninsula; killed the prospect of a liberal republican Greece in favor of an authoritarian, patriarchal, monarchic regime in which we find the roots of Greece's 20th century predicaments; produced 100 years of wars, hatred, enmity and ethnic cleansing on both sides of the Aegean; and birthed a distorted relation with the past and Greece's great eastern Other that persists to this day?

I am charging the issue, of course, but given the shrill nationalistic tone and its unidimensional approach to history seen in this thread, it's warranted. I don't begrudge Greece its independence, but I do begrudge anyone their sentimental, nationalistic triumphalism about it (or any other violently begotten independence).
    Last edited by The Wizard; 04-02-2014 at 14:15.
    "It ain't where you're from / it's where you're at."

Eric B. & Rakim, I Know You Got Soul

Quote Originally Posted by The Wizard View Post
    ...killed the prospect of a liberal republican Greece...
    I'm not sure there was ever a prospect of that back in the 1820s-30s.
    "And if the people raise a great howl against my barbarity and cruelty, I will answer that war is war and not popularity seeking. If they want peace, they and their relatives must stop the war." - William Tecumseh Sherman

“The market, like the Lord, helps those who help themselves. But unlike the Lord, the market does not forgive those who know not what they do.” - Warren Buffett

syö minun šortsini Member Space Invaders Champion, Metal Slug Champion, Bubble Trouble Champion, Curveball Champion, Moon Patrol Champion, Zelda Champion, Minigolf Champion El Barto's Avatar

No, but that was the usual promise that revolutionaries (including the US ones ;)) made all over the world in that time.
    good lord| if you're telling the truth you're setting new records for scumminess as a townie -Renata on IM, 16/09/2011
    Feles deliberatissimae subiugare humanitiati sunt, et res solae quae eas desinunt canes sunt.
    I see I've been sigged yet again -Askthepizzaguy, 02/08/2012
    Hindsight is 20/20 Askthepizzaguy, 10/07/2013