Thread: Age of Empires II HD

Ja mata, TosaInu Forum Administrator edyzmedieval's Avatar

Default Age of Empires II HD

http://store.steampowered.com/app/221380/

9th of April, 2013.

Age of Empires II returns in HD remastering, solely through Steam, bringing back a truckload of nostalgia and remembrance of good times.

Anyone else excited?
    Ja mata, TosaInu. You will forever be remembered.

Proud

Been to:

Swords Made of Letters - 1938. The war is looming in France - and Alexandre Reythier does not have much time left to protect his country. A novel set before the war.

A Painted Shield of Honour - 1313. Templar Knights in France are in grave danger. Can they be saved?

Mr Self Important Senior Member Beskar's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Age of Empires II HD

The thing I loved from AoE2 were the custom maps. Afaik, they won't be portable to the new game version.
    Days since the Apocalypse began
    "We are living in space-age times but there's too many of us thinking with stone-age minds" | How to spot a Humanist
    "Men of Quality do not fear Equality." | "Belief doesn't change facts. Facts, if you are reasonable, should change your beliefs."

Do you want to see my big Member spankythehippo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tiaexz View Post
    The thing I loved from AoE2 were the custom maps. Afaik, they won't be portable to the new game version.
    Dang. I loved Castle Blood.

But good ol' AoEII is just fine. Definitely will buy.

The Anger Shaman of the .Org Content Manager Voigtkampf's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tiaexz View Post
    But people will be able to make new ones. Guess it won't take long as the old, most favorite maps resurface in their new, shiny HD editions

Today is your victory over yourself of yesterday; tomorrow is your victory over lesser men.

Miyamoto Musashi, The Book of Five Rings, The Water Book

Any thoughts on the game? It came out earlier this month, is it worth it?

Proud

Been to:

Swords Made of Letters - 1938. The war is looming in France - and Alexandre Reythier does not have much time left to protect his country. A novel set before the war.

A Painted Shield of Honour - 1313. Templar Knights in France are in grave danger. Can they be saved?

Blog Entries

Waiting for the Steam sale. In no rush to buy it before then.
    "We are living in space-age times but there's too many of us thinking with stone-age minds" | How to spot a Humanist
    "Men of Quality do not fear Equality." | "Belief doesn't change facts. Facts, if you are reasonable, should change your beliefs."

Been checking out the forums and it's extremely buggy.

The horizon is nothing save the limit of our sight.

I own it and I can verify that it is buggy, and the 'improved' fire and farms suck, but the new water is ok. Overall, yes, it will be very much worth it if they follow up with some patches and fix the bugs. The unit limit and the number of units that can be selected at once have been increased, which is totally awesome.
    Hammer, anvil, forge and fire, chase away The Hoofed Liar. Roof and doorway, block and beam, chase The Trickster from our dreams.
    Vigilance is our shield, that protects us from our squalid past. Knowledge is our weapon, with which we carve a path to an enlightened future.

Everything you need to know about Kadagar_AV:
    Quote Originally Posted by Kadagar_AV View Post
    In a racial conflict I'd have no problem popping off some negroes.

I will purchase this, but for the moment I'm putting it off until they fix the bugs.

Proud

Been to:

http://steamcommunity.com/app/221380...6115141842643/

Expansion for AoE 2 announced on Steam.

Proud

Been to:

IMO this is a pretty risky move. AoE2 is old and I doubt many younger players can connect to it, and even older players probably installed it more out of nostalgia than anything else. The HD certainly hasn't made much difference for me.
    Creating an expansion for a reworking of an old game....how many sales do they expect.....

The horizon is nothing save the limit of our sight.

I will buy it. I still love playing AoE. (though TBH, I usually play the disc version and not my Steam version.) That may change now.
    Hammer, anvil, forge and fire, chase away The Hoofed Liar. Roof and doorway, block and beam, chase The Trickster from our dreams.
    Vigilance is our shield, that protects us from our squalid past. Knowledge is our weapon, with which we carve a path to an enlightened future.

beh. I've had some good times with AoE2, but it's just way too old now. Can't stand the "improved" graphics either, looks worse than the original.
    "And if the people raise a great howl against my barbarity and cruelty, I will answer that war is war and not popularity seeking. If they want peace, they and their relatives must stop the war." - William Tecumseh Sherman

“The market, like the Lord, helps those who help themselves. But unlike the Lord, the market does not forgive those who know not what they do.” - Warren Buffett

Blog Entries

I think the expansion is more that they are removing GFWL and they are needing a new system, like Steamworks, to replace it and it is too expensive to retro-add it in.

Quote Originally Posted by rvg View Post
    Can't stand the "improved" graphics either, looks worse than the original.
    This I agree with completely. They should have just left things alone. That said though, there are mods that restore it to looking like the original.

Quote Originally Posted by rvg View Post
    Can't stand the "improved" graphics either, looks worse than the original.
    This I agree with completely. They should have just left things alone. That said though, there are mods that restore it to looking like the original.

I installed this for the first time and to be honest with you, I thoroughly enjoyed it.

It's Age of Empires II exactly like you know it, with a couple of small modifications like the graphics of the sea and the fire graphics (which are the most evident). Other than that, it's a good game for 1-2 hours of nostalgic fun.

Proud

Been to:

Ranting madman of the .org Senior Member Fly Shoot Champion, Helicopter Champion, Pedestrian Killer Champion, Sharpshooter Champion, NFS Underground Champion Rhyfelwyr's Avatar

Got this on a Steam Black Friday sale - AoEII HD + The Forgotten Expansion for £3 and a bit.

It has reminded me just how fantastic these old games looked. And that scenario editor.
    At the end of the day politics is just trash compared to the Gospel.

Even after 10+ years, AoE II is still ridiculously addictive.

Proud

Been to:

Member thankful for this post:

Vuk