Thread: The fiction book review thread - what are you reading to get you in the mood for EB2?

EBII Hod Carrier Member QuintusSertorius's Avatar

Default The fiction book review thread - what are you reading to get you in the mood for EB2?

We've got a thread all about non-fiction, so here's one dedicated to the other. Obviously, given the historical focus of EB, I'm assuming we're talking about historical fiction here, rather than just general fiction. Bonus marks if it isn't about Romans, as most historical fiction seems to be.

I'm currently reading the Tyrant series, by Christian Cameron. It starts in 332BC and focuses on an Athenian cavalryman who served in Alexander's initial campaigns. On returning to Athens, he's exiled and heads off with a bunch of his veteran comrades to Olbia, to join the mercenary retinue of the city's archon.

There's currently five books in the series (Tyrant, Storm of Arrows, Funeral Games, King of the Bosphorous, Destroyer of Cities) with more on the way. It's the rollicking sort of fiction, in the same vein as Bernard Cornwell or Simon Scarrow, and a lot of fun. While it predates EB's timeframe, there's a lot that is still familiar.

What about you? What fiction recommendations do you have for the period?
    It began on seven hills - an EB 1.1 Romani AAR with historical house-rules (now ceased)
    Heirs to Lysimachos - an EB 1.1 Epeiros-as-Pergamon AAR with semi-historical houserules (now ceased)
    Philetairos' Gift - a second EB 1.1 Epeiros-as-Pergamon AAR

Default Re: The fiction book review thread - what are you reading to get you in the mood for

I don't need to read anything to get into mood for EB but if you are asking about a fiction novel I can strongly recommend you trilogy by Halina Rudnicka: "King Agis", "Son of Heracles" and "Hero in chains". These books are about the history of Agis IV and Kleomenes III and they are only partially fiction as Mrs. Rudnicka is trying to be as historically accurate as possible (she is basing her story on the history by Plutarch if I remember correctly). Anyways these books are great read. Althought I read them last time about 15 years ago, they are definitely best books of my childhood (alongside with Peloponesian Wars by Tukidydes but the trilogy is written like a normal story not like a history book) and I read like thousands of books back then (Son of Heracles is actually the best, two other parts were lil boring but still very good). She also wrote a book Apprentices of Spartakus - also very good read. Oh and also Carol Bunsch "Parmenion" is a good book.

I'm just not enterily sure whether any of these books have been translated from polish to english :D

Books of Halina Rudnicka are mentioned at the bottom of this page http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Agis_IV
    Last edited by Yavana; 04-05-2013 at 16:18.
    My girlfriend plays EB (plus she is hottie). I won the universe.

Default Re: The fiction book review thread - what are you reading to get you in the mood for

I don't have anything fictional at all for the EB period - all my novels are either just before (Marathon, Thermopylae, Philip II/Alexander the Great) or just after (Roman Empire, 1st Century CE).

Looking forward to seeing other people's recommendations!

You guys should read Christian Camerons not finished Tyrant series or his Long war series.. best greek historical fiction i have ever read and i happen to know him personally as he was a U.S navy officer and i am currently still in! BTW i think i have talked him into having some galatian characters and at least having the attempted sack of delphi and migration plot in his later upcoming books in the tyrant series!!

Minister of Useless Tidbits Member joshmahurin's Avatar

Spartan by Valerio Massimo Manfredi is really good historical fiction though before EBs time frame.

My primary sources, like Appian. They are... somewhat fictional... at times.

I'm into the third book of Cameron's Tyrant series, and it's now getting into the Wars of the Diadochi, so approaching our era.
    It began on seven hills - an EB 1.1 Romani AAR with historical house-rules (now ceased)
    Heirs to Lysimachos - an EB 1.1 Epeiros-as-Pergamon AAR with semi-historical houserules (now ceased)

the 1st man of rome is a series with 5 books wich i always found extremly interesting from machlalan or something it´s an australian author

i´ve read a 2 books by an author called joao guerra about the hispanic wars (mainly the lusitanian viriathus campaign and then sertorius wars) wich are also interesting but the english versions where limited and only a few thousands where made good thing i can read in portuguese :X

Hannibal - by Ben Kane.

Very good read about the campaigns of some bloke called Hannibal

Tribunus Plebis Member Gaius Scribonius Curio's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by moonburn View Post
    the 1st man of rome is a series with 5 books wich i always found extremly interesting from machlalan or something it´s an australian author
    In case anyone is interested - The Masters of Rome series is written by Colleen McCollough and stretches to seven books. They are The First Man in Rome, The Grass Crown, Fortune's Favourites, Caesar's Women, Caesar, The October Horse, and Antony and Cleopatra.

They are extremely detailed and based heavily on ancient accounts, though there are places in which the author takes some licence. They are a good read and highly recommended for anyone with an interest the politics and history of Late Republican and Triumviral Rome.
    Nihil nobis metuendum est, praeter metum ipsum. - Caesar
    We have not to fear anything, except fear itself.

Ibant obscuri sola sub nocte per umbram
    perque domos Ditis vacuas et inania regna:
    quale per incertam lunam sub luce maligna
    est iter in silvis, ubi caelum condidit umbra
    Iuppiter, et rebus nox abstulit atra colorem.
    - Vergil

Members thankful for this post (2):

Didn't realise McCullough had added a seventh to The Masters of Rome series, I've got the first six and read them years ago.

I didn't much appreciate Manfredi's purple prose, personally, Legion was enough to put me off ever reading anything he'd written again.

I'm on the last released book of the Tyrant series (I now have to wait til next summer for book six), which is into 305BC and the siege of Rhodes. Great stuff.

when i read it originally she only had 5 out actually give or take and i haven´t found them all since i found it by accident in a flea market

but somehow at least in the concept of the series it reminds me of george rr martin series a game of thrones the way it´s presented i wonder if they borrow from each other (i mean we all borrow from each other ) or if there is a literary way of presenting new books that as been "conformed"

sorry for the off topic :p

The Boudica series by Manda Scott. I only read one of them but it had some great battle scenes from the time of Boudicas revolt. It really captured the idea of the Britons guerrilla war and the lack of experienced warriors and having to rely on untested boys and old men. A lot of the book seems to over do the whole "Celtic" thing though, with her trying too hard to create some image of a pan-celtic nation across europe being all best friends.

Good fiction though.Just within EB's time frame too.

I finally got around to The Persian Boy by Mary Renault, which only came out in 1972. It's set durning Alexander's conquests, so not far off.

Fight like a meatgrinder

Quote Originally Posted by Agricola View Post
    Hannibal - by Ben Kane.

Very good read about the campaigns of some bloke called Hannibal
    I'm reading the first book of his forgotten legion trillogy atm, also a good read. Not in the EB timeframe though.

The Nowhere Legion, an AAR now turned into a book published on sites for sale.

Francis Hagans a.k.a SeniorBatavianHorse @twcenter, won first place in the AAR competition last year. Though it's Late Antiquity the AAR gets me into the mood!
    Lets play Divide et Impera, Ptolemy Campaign. Link to full playlist down below!

https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PL...2oIDsmGrPrKpzM

Rome by Steven Saylor, a family history tale that followed the history of Rome, from the beginning until the age of Augustus.

Last edited by Antiokhos II Theos; 09-14-2013 at 14:50.