Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 71314151617

Thread: Regional Descriptions: Help the EBII Team

iudex thervingiorum Member athanaric's Avatar

Default Re: Regional Descriptions: Help the EBII Team

Quote Originally Posted by myarta View Post
    In English idiom, when flocks is plural, for some words the object that they are flocks of remains singular. "Flocks of duck", for example, is attested in this Smithsonian magazine article:

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/trave...ast-180962887/

However, I am not certain of the precise usage rule here to tell which of those words are eligible for this idiom beyond duck itself.
    I'm leery of that. Might very well be that this is an American thing, if it's a thing at all. I've also noticed that some descriptions, particularly Eastern Europe, are written in AE as opposed to the predominant BE.

edit:

As a matter of fact, I've begun to edit some descriptions myself (particularly in provinces with short descriptions, not those that are already overly long), adding/editing short notes on the flora and fauna -some are in serious need of more diversity. There's only so many times I can bear reading about bears.

edit2:

The description of Akuitanon still contains the erroneous line
    "Indo-Europeans arrived in Europe from Iran and Northern India around 3000 BCE displacing almost all other languages groups in Europe except for Finnish and Basque"

I've replaced the part marked in italics with "the Eurasian steppes". Not perfect, but more factually accurate I believe.

edit3:
    I've written a geography section for Ingwingoz, since it was missing. Still need to vet it for historical accuracy though before posting it here.
    Last edited by athanaric; 10-23-2017 at 21:24.

Swęboz guide for EB 1.2
    Tips and Tricks for New Players
    from Hannibal Khan the Great, Brennus, Tellos Athenaios, and Winsington III.

Member thankful for this post:

Update: I'm trawling through the descriptions from top to bottom, directly editing (a backup of) the description via Notepad++ (64 bit). Hope that's the correct method. Many of the European geography sections need work (some are 100% identical on the fauna part), and I'm re-writing a few passages.

I've tried to mention typical categories of animals in general, and/or feature a few emblematic species (with as little overlap as possible between provinces; there are more than enough species to go around), with a particular focus on endemic species - i.e ones that only occur in this particular province or region and nowhere else on the planet (there actually are a few such provinces, e.g. Korsim).

Haven't gotten to Asia and Africa yet. This could take a while. Do you want periodic uploads of the edited file or should I post it when I've finished it?
    Last edited by athanaric; 10-27-2017 at 01:04.

Swęboz guide for EB 1.2

I feel kinda silly triple posting, but anyway, here's an update.

Notes:
    I have not systematically checked the historical, sociological, and strategic sections, nor the Traveller's Logs. Any errors I've encountered in those were randomly found.
    I haven't inserted complete sections or descriptions into the file because I don't really have a clue about the formatting, and from looking at the file it seems I'm not the only one with difficulties. Some questions:
    - What's up with the @ signs in place of the apostrophes? Should I use them too? Do regular apostrophes not work properly?
    - How do you format a text so it stays a nice compact bloc and doesn't become an endless line which makes the file hard to read?
    - Is it a good idea to use italics? Would make the loanwords less awkward. Or does that screw with the formatting? What about brackets, BTW?

Change log so far

- Many provinces, including Dardania kai Paionia, Thraike, Pamphylia, Mysia, Galatia, Kappadokia Pontika, Paphlagonia... :
    corrected some species names, changed accidental mentions of American species (maize, Mountain Lion) to local ones.
    - Regarding seasons, changed "fall" to "autumn" (because it's more appropriate to the context) and fixed a description (see below).
    - Fixed some minor grammatical and spelling errors.
    - Corrected some Germanisms, see above.

Longer additions I made to the text, inserted into already existing sections. In some cases, these replace the original comments on the fauna:

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    Korsim
    Some of the animals endemic to this island were exterminated in prehistoric times, but others, such as the Corsican Nuthatch, have survived to this day, thanks to the rough terrain.

Baleares
    Although the few endemic mammals native to the Balearic Isles - giant dormice and shrews as well as dwarf goats - went extinct shortly after human colonization, the fauna still includes some endemic species, like the Balearic Midwife-toad, the Balearic Warbler, and the Balearic Shearwater, the latter nesting in the coastal cliffs alongside Eleonora's Falcon, Audouin's Gull, and other typical Mediterranean species.

Nikron
    The upper Rhine valley is an entry point for Mediterranean fauna such as Praying Mantis, Bee-eater, and Emerald Lizard into Central Europe, with fluctuations corresponding with climate changes.

Herkunion
    This region has a typical Central European fauna. During Europa Barbarorum's time frame, European Mink would still have dwelled along the waterways, alongside Kingfishers, various herons, European Pond Turtles, and a diverse cast of amphibians and fish. The larger forests are home to more reclusive denizens such as Wildcat, Lynx, and Black Stork, and of course larger game such as boar as well.

Krete
    In prehistoric times, Krete was home to a rich flora and an unusual fauna that included some endemic species displaying the ecological phenomenon of island dwarfism, such as the Cretan Dwarf Mammoth (which was only slightly bigger than a wild boar) and dwarf hippopotamuses. These disappeared at the latest after human colonization of the island, but besides a considerable number of endemic plant species, even some larger animals, like the Bearded Vulture, have managed to survive in the mountains to this day.

Corrected the climate part of Herkunion, now it looks like this:
    Herkunion
    The climate of Herkunion is typical of the continent and can be characterized as somewhat mild. The annual rainfall is rather evenly distributed over the entire province. The seasons are approximately even in length, except in the mountains, where spring and autumn are somewhat short and the winters are long and cold. The summers range from mild to warm.

Proposed new geography section:

Ingwingoz
    Geography
    This region is dominated, and frequently rearranged, by the forces of the sea. In the southern part, there are large estuaries of several Central European rivers, most notably the Elbe. While generally situated very low and its highest elevation being at only around 170m above sea level, a significant part of the province, particularly on the Jutish peninsula, is characterized by low, rolling hills formed by the retreating glaciers of the last ice age, which adds a pleasant touch to the landscape.
    The natural landscape and vegetation mostly consists of lowland deciduous forests, raised bogs, heathland, fens, and, near the coast, sparsely covered sand dunes in some places and saltmarshes in others. The tidal mudflats in this region, known as the Wadden Sea, are some of the largest in the entire world.
    While the terrestrial megafauna, apart from deer perhaps, would have been a bit depleted by our time frame, the coastal and estuarine mudflats as well as the saltmarshes are vital to huge numbers of migrating birds, particularly geese and a diverse array of waders and other shorebirds. The sea itself is home to seals, porpoises, gulls, terns and other creatures living off the rich fishing grounds.

--
    Still working on:
    - Haven't viewed a third or so of the descriptions.
    - Writing geography sections for the incomplete German and French provinces.
    - Several Central and Eastern European provinces (minus Herkunion now) have identical or near-identical climate, flora and fauna sections which, I take it, are probably provisional. Trying to make each of them unique now.
    - The province of Cilicia mentions buffaloes. Presumably the author meant aurochs? Or is there archaeological proof of European Bison (bison are often referred to as "buffalo") or actual buffaloes occurring there in historical times?
    Last edited by athanaric; 11-05-2017 at 01:19.

Swęboz guide for EB 1.2

COYATOYPIKC Senior Member Flatout Minigame Champion Arjos's Avatar
    Prisoners upon this rock, flying without wings...

The @ is used to have proper ' signs in-game. Otherwise they get crooked or cause to remove the space between words...

From what I've seen italics cause the same issues. I went for capital first letter for loans or foreign words...

Brackets dunno, I would avoid them, unless quoting/citing sources. Even though imo I feel it cuts the flow of the text. These should be almost narratives...

Also thank you very much for reviewing this material ;)

I've reworked my own entries according to this information. Now checked the whole document. I gotta say, the guy who did most of the Asian and steppe descriptions was very thorough in his cataloguing of the fauna. I think it's great, though. Not a bad selection of taxa, either. Didn't have to fix much in that regard other than correcting some spelling (mostly zoological) and eliminating a lone muskrat (muskrats are pests introduced from North America in recent times). Some of these descriptions occasionally have a creative syntax though, maybe someone else should proofread them as well.
    If you want the first version of the updated file in the next patch, just PM me when it's needed, as I'm working on it in frequent, but small steps. Might have to be playtested, too, just to be sure I didn't mess up anything.

Swęboz guide for EB 1.2

Members thankful for this post (2):

ArjosKull 

Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 71314151617