Thread: MTW ( Gold Edition ) Patch 2.01 [ Sega ]

Question MTW ( Gold Edition ) Patch 2.01 [ Sega ]

Hello,

Not sure if anyone can answer this, but here goes :

I have my MTW (+VI) - Gold Edition ( Sega DVD ) patched to 2.01 , and the date of the MTW .exe is 30 / 1 / 2006.

I have today downloaded a MTW Gold Edition ( Sega ) 2.01 patch for the above ( to use as a back up - if necessary )
    and I note that the MTW .exe is dated 5 / 7 / 2006 !!

I presume that the latter .exe is the same as the first .exe ( as both are version 2.01 ), but why the difference in the dates ?

A later production version ( perhaps ) comes to mind , but why would one be made / done ?

Needs more flowers Moderator drone's Avatar

Default Re: MTW ( Gold Edition ) Patch 2.01 [ Sega ]

Quote Originally Posted by DEB8 View Post
    I have my MTW (+VI) - Gold Edition ( Sega DVD ) patched to 2.01 , and the date of the MTW .exe is 30 / 1 / 2006.
    By this, you mean the MTW/VI exe is 2.01 straight from the install?

I have the old school combo, separate MTW and VI installation, plus the 2.01 patch. The exe in my install directory still is dated 2003 though.
    The .Org's MTW Reference Guide Wiki - now taking comments, corrections, suggestions, and submissions

If I werent playing games Id be killing small animals at a higher rate than I am now - SFTS
    Si je n'étais pas jouer à des jeux que je serais mort de petits animaux à un taux plus élevé que je suis maintenant - Louis VI The Fat

"Why do you hate the extremely limited Spartan version of freedom?" - Lemur

I can see how you might think that given my information; however, no.

The install was version 2.00 ( I think ) , it was patched to version 2.01.

[ I am just suprised that each patch ( I believe the same one each time ), has a different ( albeit similar ) date. ]

The install was version 2.00 ( I think ) , it was patched to version 2.01.
    I can't remember how many different combinations the releases have come out with, I believe all the latest "Gold" releases come fully patched, which is why I asked.

The patch I use (Invasion201Patch.exe) is dated March 7, 2006. Since my fully patched Medieval_TW.exe is dated Sept 17, 2003, I'm thinking this is a quirk with how Windows is keeping the modified date. Weird.
    The .Org's MTW Reference Guide Wiki - now taking comments, corrections, suggestions, and submissions

If I werent playing games Id be killing small animals at a higher rate than I am now - SFTS
    Si je n'étais pas jouer à des jeux que je serais mort de petits animaux à un taux plus élevé que je suis maintenant - Louis VI The Fat

My "Sold Out" STW (WE ) came fully patched ( thankfully ) ; but I had to patch up my MTW / VI ( Gold ) to 2.01.

Re your MTW.exe date - this is indeed odd. Some games update an .exe by adding a "document" type of file ( can't recall the type name ).
    Perhaps your VI patch used one of these rather than an updated MTW.exe ?

NB : Although I recall finding such a file ( when I was looking for something else some time ago ) , I cannot find it today !
    ( Perchance my memory is playing tricks here... )
    Last edited by DEB8; 05-09-2013 at 15:05. Reason: NB added.

The Gold patch is just a zip with a new .exe that you copy over top, correct? I believe the Invasion patch actually runs an installer, maybe that's how it gets around the modified date change. To be honest, I've never really looked into how Windows/NTFS keeps track of that sort of thing, I don't think Unix/Linux would allow this.

Correct.

Most of my game patches were inserted via an installer. They generally updated the .exe and the date thereof too...
    I presume you do not have a seperate VI .exe ?

I would have to look on my VI disk, but I think it is all bundled up in the installer. VI came out in May 2003, I'll have to search back to see when CA put out the 2.01 patch, but I'm guessing that's where my Sept 2003 date is coming from.

Quote Originally Posted by drone View Post
    I would have to look on my VI disk, but I think it is all bundled up in the installer.
    Any separate VI .exe should be on your Hard Drive ( MTW /VI Folder ). Very few games play via an .exe on the CD ( even where the game requires the disk in the Disk drive in order to play it ); that is of course unless you did a minimum install originally.

VI came out in May 2003, I'll have to search back to see when CA put out the 2.01 patch, but I'm guessing that's where my Sept 2003 date is coming from.
    Both of my 2.01 patch .exe's and your invasion .exe were dated 2006. Your pre invasion MTW patch was 2003, so I do not fully follow your line of thought here...

Any separate VI .exe should be on your Hard Drive ( MTW /VI Folder ). Very few games play via an .exe on the CD ( even where the game requires the disk in the Disk drive in order to play it ); that is of course unless you did a minimum install originally.
    I meant I figured my .exe on the CD would be inside a compressed installer file. Apparently it's not, dated 3/17/2003 on the CD.

Both of my 2.01 patch .exe's and your invasion .exe were dated 2006. Your pre invasion MTW patch was 2003, so I do not fully follow your line of thought here...
    My InvasionPatch201.exe is dated 2006 probably because that's when I last downloaded the patch to a PC. The .exe compressed inside of it is probably where the 9/17/2003 date comes from.

I know this post is rather old and was always unlikely to be successfully answered, but today I noted the following "interesting" (?) information :

I am about to install the original game and my separate 2.01 patch onto a new laptop ( Windows 7 )...

I have noted that the .exe currently in the game AND on the original disk is dated 30/1/2006, however the game version is noted as 2.01 (!).
    The disk ( and game ) documentation clearly shows the disk version as 2.00...
    [ NB : I believe I deleted the insignificant 2.01 text file at some stage... ]

So, how is what appears to be a version 2.00 .exe, running what appears to be a version 2.01 game ???

Go figure...

Can anyone tell me exactly what was updated in the 2.01 Sega Gold patch ???

Thanks.

I think I have resolved my "query" here, having reviewed the information to hand overnight...

The Sega 2.00 to 2.01 patch appears to be an update to the version number only !!!

[ I.E. The Sega version of the game comes ready patched to version 2.01 ; however, some copies of the game were produced with the version number quoted as 2.00 (!). The patch therefore only needed to correct the version number for those copies of the game. This makes sense when you read the ( rather limited ) 2.01 patch read me file. Also, the .exe's on the original game disk and in the patch, both have the same version number ( 1.0.0.0. ); although the modification dates differ slightly ( previous post comments refer... ). ]

Re my question about the update ( from the Total War website - MTW patches page ) :

"General Fixes
    - Fixed a bug where cavalry would receive a charge bonus ad infinitum under certain circumstances.
    - Removed a command line cheat that would unlock the camera giving an unfair advantage on the battlefield.

Singleplayer Fixes
    - Reinforcements in campaign battles now appear in the order selected in the pre-battle screen.
    - Kings will no longer die of old age at exactly 56 years.

Multiplayer Fixes
    - All multiplayer players will now appear in the Medieval: Total War chat room and can talk to one another. Please note that Medieval: Total War games will not show up for Viking Invasion players and vice versa.
    - The occasional crash/lockup bug when a player quits from a multiplayer game has been eradicated".

[ I know my game has the Singleplayer Fix : "Reinforcements in campaign battles now appear in the order selected in the pre-battle screen" in it - therefore I am definitely at 2.01 ! ]
    Last edited by DEB8; 07-10-2016 at 16:59.

Arrogant Ashigaru Moderator Ludens's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I think I have resolved my "query" here, having reviewed the information to hand overnight...
    Glad to hear it, and thanks for the update.
    Looking for a good read? Visit the Library!