Thread: SWTOR

Nec Pluribus Impar Member SwordsMaster's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default SWTOR

Anyone playing this? Just discovered it recently while on a boring business trip. Must say, I'm enjoying it, even though it wouldn't be the MMO with the fanciest graphics, and definitely not the best character creation. Still, it's free to play at the moment, and is StarWars!

After a week of playing, managed to get a Sith Inquisitor to level 11, and just arrived to Dromund Kaas. Any tips?
    Managing perceptions goes hand in hand with managing expectations - Masamune

Pie is merely the power of the state intruding into the private lives of the working class. - Beirut

Peerless Senior Member johnhughthom's Avatar

Default Re: SWTOR

I've played it on and off since release and stll quite enjoy it. The levelling process is fun, but endgame can get a bit tedious imo.

There is a lot of negativity toward the game, either it's too much like WoW, or not enough like it, usually.

Link to the old thread.

Blog Entries

Wow, 2011... too old. Never played WoW, so can't compare... And finding this one already enough of a drain on my time, so unlikely to pick up another MMO. Not for now anyway.

Pie is merely the power of the state intruding into the private lives of the working class. - Beirut

Oh, don't worry, I wasn't suggesting you should try WoW.

I think a large part of why I enjoy SWTOR is that it is the only mmo I've really played (I did give LoTRO a go when it came out, but couldn't get into it), therefore I can appreciate the game for what it is, without worrying about what it isn't.

Anyway, if you need any help or advice let me know.

Blog Entries

Hey! Yeah, looking around so far. Which crew skills to pick? Seems silly to speak of a crew, since i only have the big ugly dude following me around. Also, what order should i do the missions in on Dromund Kaas. I ventured into the temple first, but was smacked down so many times i desisted, and pointed my nose elsewhere.

What kind of level would i need to get through the heroic missions solo? I'm currently around 13, and dont like sharing loot!

If you just follow your class quest you get sent to each area in turn, and should be around the level of the area's side quests. The Dark Temple is the last area you quest through on DK.

I believe F2Ps only get one crew skill? If so I would go slicing, gets you credits from lockboxes. Crew skills come into effect more after the Capital World, when you get the ship droid so you have someone to send out and someone to journey with you.

As for Heroics, it depends on your character and comp, some can do 2+s at one or two levels higher, or even on level, for 4+s you generally need to be quite a bit higher. Generally doing them in groups is worthwhile, the best gear is usually given out as a quest reward and you get Social Points. It is also good practice for grouping if you do Flashpoints. Which you should, though I think F2Ps are restricted to a few a week.

Blog Entries

I got a package that expands on some of these - have 3 crew skills, for example. Ran into a weird glitch on the Black Talon FP, after soloing through it, and clicking on the galactic screen at the end to return to the Imperial Fleet I get a consistent CTD. It doesn't matter what option is selected, the game just kicks me out to desktop... Very annoying, specially as it is the very end of the sequence.

That Black Talon crash has been around forever, though I've never had it. Apparently the way around it is to play in windowed mode, and tab out just after you make your selection, then go back in again after about 30 seconds.

If you have 3 crew skills, as an Inq I would go Artifice, Archaeology and Treasure Hunting.

Blog Entries

Ah, heh, i would have thought they would have fixed it since 07... Anyway. Hmm, treasure hunting? I went with Synthweaving, Slicing, and Archaeology... is that not a good combo? I was thinking that once Slicing ceases to be profitable I could switch it out for something else... So far it has helped me make an extra 3k on DK...

Also, when is it ever worth rev engineering stuff? Is it worth doing with green/blue/purple gear?

That should be fine, you will have to buy materials off the gtn if you want to craft some of the better gear though.

Generally re-ing is for items you craft yourself, you buy a schematic for a green level item, then re hoping to get a schematic for a blue, then re that hoping to get a schematic for a purple. There is decent money to be made at it. even through the levelling process as a lot of players seem to ignore crafting for profit until endgame.

Blog Entries

Ok, cool. Been crafting a ton of 'Savant gloves'... Went with the Sith Assassin as my AC. Any tips on skill development? Want to go ranged DPS, I think...

I've never played an Inq, pretty much the only class I haven't at least finished chapter 1 with.

I just can't accept the slave accepted as a Sith dealie, my main, a pureblood Marauder, is as racist and slave and ex-slave despising as it comes, and I would feel like I was betraying her if I played an Inq.

I have heard people saying that Madness is the skill tree to go for dpsing, sounds like it would suit you if you plan to play mostly solo.

Blog Entries

Heh, sure. I was going to go for Jedi shadow, but then I didnt.

The Black Talon CTD is beyond annoying. Alt-tabbing doesn't help... Really pissed about this.