Page 57 of 67 FirstFirst ... 747535455565758596061 ... LastLast
Results 1,681 to 1,710 of 1996

Thread: Random Thoughts Thread

Default Re: Random Thoughts Thread

Just realized that "taxation with representation" in Parliament for American colonists would not have been physically possible in that era - meaning that GB could have had no authority to tax (American) colonists, meaning that GB could have had no authority to rule over the American colonists: leaving GB the options of departure or war.

If it happens that early and leading "patriots" did not follow through to this logic, and they tended not to consider separation from the mother country until well into 1776, then we should put even more stock in the notion that high-minded debate of philosophical ideals was largely the fig leaf for the proximate commercial interests of an up-and-coming colonial bourgeoisie.
    Vitiate Man.

History repeats the old conceits
    The glib replies, the same defeats

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Member thankful for this post:

Praefectus Fabrum Senior Member Anime BlackJack Champion, Flash Poker Champion, Word Up Champion, Shape Game Champion, Snake Shooter Champion, Fishwater Challenge Champion, Rocket Racer MX Champion, Jukebox Hero Champion, My House Is Bigger Than Your House Champion, Funky Pong Champion, Cutie Quake Champion, Fling The Cow Champion, Tiger Punch Champion, Virus Champion, Solitaire Champion, Worm Race Champion, Rope Walker Champion, Penguin Pass Champion, Skate Park Champion, Watch Out Champion, Lawn Pac Champion, Weapons Of Mass Destruction Champion, Skate Boarder Champion, Lane Bowling Champion, Bugz Champion, Makai Grand Prix 2 Champion, White Van Man Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, BlackJack Champion, Stans Ski Jumping Champion, Smaugs Treasure Champion, Sofa Longjump Champion Seamus Fermanagh's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Montmorency View Post
    Just realized that "taxation with representation" in Parliament for American colonists would not have been physically possible in that era - meaning that GB could have had no authority to tax (American) colonists, meaning that GB could have had no authority to rule over the American colonists: leaving GB the options of departure or war.

If it happens that early and leading "patriots" did not follow through to this logic, and they tended not to consider separation from the mother country until well into 1776, then we should put even more stock in the notion that high-minded debate of philosophical ideals was largely the fig leaf for the proximate commercial interests of an up-and-coming colonial bourgeoisie.
    Both issues were at play. The commercial angle wasn't even 'hidden' at the time. The biggest name on the DoI was not that of a political theorist...
    "The only way that has ever been discovered to have a lot of people cooperate together voluntarily is through the free market. And that's why it's so essential to preserving individual freedom.” -- Milton Friedman

"The urge to save humanity is almost always a false front for the urge to rule." -- H. L. Mencken

Yeah, but I'm struck by the implied inevitability. Even if everyone on both sides of the Atlantic had agreed in principle that Parliamentary representation was the correct compromise, it would never have been practicable in the 18th century.

This means that those fomenters either did not really think through their proposed dream solution, or being intelligent men they did understand the point, but it never bothered them because they weren't looking for an amicable way out in the first place.
    Vitiate Man.

Praefectus Fabrum Senior Member Anime BlackJack Champion, Flash Poker Champion, Word Up Champion, Shape Game Champion, Snake Shooter Champion, Fishwater Challenge Champion, Rocket Racer MX Champion, Jukebox Hero Champion, My House Is Bigger Than Your House Champion, Funky Pong Champion, Cutie Quake Champion, Fling The Cow Champion, Tiger Punch Champion, Virus Champion, Solitaire Champion, Worm Race Champion, Rope Walker Champion, Penguin Pass Champion, Skate Park Champion, Watch Out Champion, Lawn Pac Champion, Weapons Of Mass Destruction Champion, Skate Boarder Champion, Lane Bowling Champion, Bugz Champion, Makai Grand Prix 2 Champion, White Van Man Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, BlackJack Champion, Stans Ski Jumping Champion, Smaugs Treasure Champion, Sofa Longjump Champion Seamus Fermanagh's Avatar

Yeah, but I'm struck by the implied inevitability. Even if everyone on both sides of the Atlantic had agreed in principle that Parliamentary representation was the correct compromise, it would never have been practicable in the 18th century.

This means that those fomenters either did not really think through their proposed dream solution, or being intelligent men they did understand the point, but it never bothered them because they weren't looking for an amicable way out in the first place.
    Probably some of both would be my guess. You are correct as to the practicability of New World MPs with a month-long trip one way for messages and to attend sessions. But I would bet more than a few didn't think that part through.

Among the independency crowd, the only amicable resolution would have had to have followed the approach later taken in Canada. Anything less than functional independence with local government would not have stood up to their goals. Otis, the Adames, and a few others didn't want anything less than we ultimately did achieve.
    "The only way that has ever been discovered to have a lot of people cooperate together voluntarily is through the free market. And that's why it's so essential to preserving individual freedom.” -- Milton Friedman

"The urge to save humanity is almost always a false front for the urge to rule." -- H. L. Mencken

Why does the macdonalds in my country have better burgers than the burger king? And why can the teutonic order recruit dutch burgher pikemen in mtw2 but hre cant. (Btw the netherlands are not situated in the balkans it lies way west.)

Verstuurd vanaf mijn GT-I9515 met Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by fear_the_mongols View Post
    Why does the macdonalds in my country have better burgers than the burger king? And why can the teutonic order recruit dutch burgher pikemen in mtw2 but hre cant. (Btw the netherlands are not situated in the balkans it lies way west.)

Verstuurd vanaf mijn GT-I9515 met Tapatalk
    Probably the meat supply.

Probably reflects the Hanseatic league/trader links. I have never played that mod though.

master of the pwniverse Member Fragony's Avatar

I always like the awesome town I live, sometimes I really love it. The Tower is playing a gnossiene of Satie as I type this. Sometimes also Chopin or the Beatles

edit, a nocturne from Copin now, good use of church-bellls
    Last edited by Fragony; 07-26-2017 at 19:44.

ADONAI I DENY
    Vitiate Man.

Dutch national team is a total mess. Our lionesses are great though, way to go

Runes for good luck:

[1 - exp(i*2π)]^-1

Stranger in a strange land Moderator Hooahguy's Avatar

The eclipse was pretty cool, not sure what everyone was freaking out about it for though.
    On the Path to the Streets of Gold: a Suebi AAR
    Visited:
    A man who casts no shadow has no soul.
    Hvil i fred HoreTore

Quote Originally Posted by Hooahguy View Post
    The eclipse was pretty cool, not sure what everyone was freaking out about it for though.
    In my county of Florida, the driving concern was personal injury lawsuits. Parents were informed by our county schools that they had to pick up their children by 1pm today and take charge of them themselves OR those children would be kept indoors and not dismissed until after 4pm so as to avoid any possibility of little Jane or little Johnny looking at the eclipse and burning their retina....at least while at school. Morgan and Morgan for the win.

You weren't in the path of totality, were you? I haven't experienced totality, but it is something altogether different than the partial eclipse experience from what I've read over the years. It is an unnatural event (for most) and your mind and emotions take you on your own personal journey as you take it all in. Even animals react to the event. To some, it is a spiritual high that they need to experience again and again. They become eclipse chasers.

The 2024 solar eclipse will pass within a few hours drive from where I live and I expect that I'll be making that trip to experience it myself.
    This space intentionally left blank

Today I Learned: Figs keep better in the fridge than out.
    Vitiate Man.

Quote Originally Posted by Gregoshi View Post
    You weren't in the path of totality, were you? I haven't experienced totality, but it is something altogether different than the partial eclipse experience from what I've read over the years. It is an unnatural event (for most) and your mind and emotions take you on your own personal journey as you take it all in. Even animals react to the event. To some, it is a spiritual high that they need to experience again and again. They become eclipse chasers.

The 2024 solar eclipse will pass within a few hours drive from where I live and I expect that I'll be making that trip to experience it myself.
    Where I was it was about 98%, but I do hear how that last 2% makes a world of difference.
    Visited:
    Hvil i fred HoreTore

This is going to be me in a few years. :(

Vitiate Man.

Senior Member Senior Member Yeti Sports 1.5 Champion, Snowboard Slalom Champion, Monkey Jump Champion, Mosquito Kill Champion Csargo's Avatar

This is going to be me in a few years. :(

I'm already there friend... I'm making a horse shoe.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sooh View Post
    I wonder if I can make Csargo cry harder by doing everyone but his ISO.

Quote Originally Posted by Csargo View Post
    I'm already there friend... I'm making a horse shoe.
    But at least you both can revel in your relatively high levels of free testosterone.

Pleasing the Fates Senior Member A Nerd's Avatar

I am going gray. Hasn't started falling out yet. Perhaps in time it will, though I certainly hope not.
    Silence is beautiful

Senior Member Senior Member Yeti Sports 1.5 Champion, Snowboard Slalom Champion, Monkey Jump Champion, Mosquito Kill Champion Csargo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Seamus Fermanagh View Post
    But at least you both can revel in your relatively high levels of free testosterone.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sooh View Post
    I wonder if I can make Csargo cry harder by doing everyone but his ISO.

I have found that my nicotine addiction has moved beyond that stage and has become something more of an obsession. I have tried to quit using several methods, but they all seem to fail me in the end. Electronic cigarettes have even faded away in the exhale. I am a closet smoker however, I never leave the house with them although I am home a majority of my time. Perhaps this is normal, but it would seem as if that slowly burning cancer stick is a crutch of some sort that must be relit when it reaches the filter. So is life as they say, but I don't want to suffer adverse affects of them as I continue to age, irreparably.

Perhaps it is not an alleviation technique that I need but rather some compassionate moral support. I am a patient man. Time will tell if the fates do not whim it first.

*puff* I will sip something benign in hopes for and to commemorate a possibility that I have yet to see, or perhaps, seen too infrequently.
    Silence is beautiful

That really sucks man, my heart goes out to you. Ive had close friends deal with a nicotine addiction and they say its one of the hardest things to get rid of.
    Visited:
    Hvil i fred HoreTore

A Nerd 

Mr Self Important Senior Member Beskar's Avatar
    Blog Entries

That really sucks man, my heart goes out to you. Ive had close friends deal with a nicotine addiction and they say its one of the hardest things to get rid of.
    Lots of myths surrounding it too. Such as "Smoking helps calm me", when in reality, nicotine withdrawal makes you stressed thus smoking relieves the withdrawal effects which are making you stressed. It is that psychological situation.

As A Nerd touches on, psychology is a big component of addiction and with the more legal drugs (nicotine, alcohol, caffeine) people don't see it with the same negativity and the fact people around them are freely able to use them without the physical consequences a harder addiction causes does cause some resentment and difficulty.

Only way to succeed is willpower, with social support and reduction of the drug. A good method is patches, as these can cause a more stable intake of nicotine within the blood stream, especially crucial as you commented you are chain smoking. You might need to experiment to find the right strength to make you stable.
    Next is that you will need a placabo for having a cig between your fingers. Think of this in this way, you are an expert smoker, and have wired your brain to be good at it. You will need to retrain it, so using something like lolipops, cocktail sticks, anything which is similar enough for the oral fixation.
    Next part is simple to initially do, that is throw away those cigs or give them away, just get rid of them. Their mere presence is just temptation and plays on your mind. Now, you will have to make sure you don't buy any and refuse any offered to you. You cannot smoke without a cig.
    Now the next one is time. You are in the process of retraining yourself. Ween yourself slowly from your crutch, and do staged downgrades of the patches. This will take weeks, it is not a quick fix. If you end up noticing you got a cig in your hand, cast it aside and stick to the plan. Don't go "oh well, that is me screwed up, i quit". Keep to it.
    The above advice will help you deal with the physiological aspects of the addiction. Now the harder work comes with dealing with psychological aspects of the addiction.
    From your comments, you find yourself at home and a little bored. Lets deal with this first. Get a hobby and by a hobby I mean any activity you find enjoyable. Make yourself busy and you won't be sat around going "gosh, I need that fag!". There are usually social support groups out there, sometimes they target harder substances, but most are usually open to the public. This could be boxercise, soccer, walking and various group activities to keep people active, distracted, and build up social support.

Obviously, I would recommend getting in touch with your local quit smoking service and using their support to follow out the above. They might be able to sign post or deal with specific issues you may have.
    Days since the Apocalypse began
    "We are living in space-age times but there's too many of us thinking with stone-age minds" | How to spot a Humanist
    "Men of Quality do not fear Equality." | "Belief doesn't change facts. Facts, if you are reasonable, should change your beliefs."

Members thankful for this post (2):

Thanks for the support, both of you. I will take your advice to heart.
    Silence is beautiful

Beskar 

Mr Self Important Senior Member Beskar's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by A Nerd View Post
    Thanks for the support, both of you. I will take your advice to heart.
    Wish you the best in your venture. It is not easy, it will be a struggle, but I got a feeling you will be determined, probably go out of your way to try to find the best way that is working for you, then beat this thing!
    Days since the Apocalypse began
    "We are living in space-age times but there's too many of us thinking with stone-age minds" | How to spot a Humanist
    "Men of Quality do not fear Equality." | "Belief doesn't change facts. Facts, if you are reasonable, should change your beliefs."

A Nerd 

Dealing with bedbugs now. Save me.
    Visited:
    Hvil i fred HoreTore

Dealing with bedbugs now. Save me.
    Wait for snow, lay your matrass upside down on it, theyhave no sense of direction and freeze. Otherwise there is nothing you can do but buying a new matrass. Freezing and starving are both horrible deaths, you want that for them
    Last edited by Fragony; 09-09-2017 at 07:31.

Quote Originally Posted by Fragony View Post
    Wait for snow, lay your matrass upside down on it, theyhave no sense of direction and freeze. Otherwise there is nothing you can do but buying a new matrass. Freezing and starving are both horrible deaths, you want that for them
    Unfortunately it doesnt really snow where I live. Or even get cold enough where they would freeze.
    Visited:
    Hvil i fred HoreTore

Unfortunately it doesnt really snow where I live. Or even get cold enough where they would freeze.
    pest control services here have a tool that can spot freeze them. They even offer free repeats if they recur. Price didn't sound horrible....

I got a couple of those bedbug mattresses covers for the mattress and box-spring so the bites have stopped. Not a permanent solution I guess, unless the covers stay on for another year so they will die off. The bites are terrible, very itchy and last a while. I got bit last Sunday and only now are they starting to go away.
    Visited:
    Hvil i fred HoreTore

Page 57 of 67 FirstFirst ... 747535455565758596061 ... LastLast