master of the pwniverse Member Fragony's Avatar

Default Re: Random Thoughts Thread

For ACIN and Vukkie, with love Peggie

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=eAf7HcK10d0

Member thankful for this post:

Vuk 

Definition of creepy:
    I just moved into a really bad part of town, and in the month I have been here there have been a string of crimes (half of them violent) within five blocks of where I live. My landlord actually asked me if I had a gun, and told me that if I didn't he would 'give' me one. Is it just me, or is that a really random, creepy thing for someone to just bring up out of the blue. Guns cost a lot of money, and there are liability issues at stake. Who just gives away a gun to a random person lodging in their building? I turned him down, but am amply creeped out. (I wouldn't need his gun anyway, as I could wallpaper my apartment with the guns I left behind at my parent's farm. :P
    Hammer, anvil, forge and fire, chase away The Hoofed Liar. Roof and doorway, block and beam, chase The Trickster from our dreams.
    Vigilance is our shield, that protects us from our squalid past. Knowledge is our weapon, with which we carve a path to an enlightened future.

Everything you need to know about Kadagar_AV:
    Quote Originally Posted by Kadagar_AV View Post
    In a racial conflict I'd have no problem popping off some negroes.

Stranger in a strange land Moderator Hooahguy's Avatar

Just booked another trip to Norway! In the winter this time, so this should be fun.

Cant wait!
    On the Path to the Streets of Gold: a Suebi AAR
    Visited:
    A man who casts no shadow has no soul.
    Hvil i fred HoreTore

Vuk 

I've always wanted to see Norway. You have a great time.
    Hammer, anvil, forge and fire, chase away The Hoofed Liar. Roof and doorway, block and beam, chase The Trickster from our dreams.
    Vigilance is our shield, that protects us from our squalid past. Knowledge is our weapon, with which we carve a path to an enlightened future.

If I look back one year ago, I could honestly describe myself as hating public events and hermit like. I was happy being in my room and staying my room, either working or playing video games. Now I feel like if I haven't done something or gone somewhere at least once a week I get bored and anxious. Very odd how these changes occur.

I own. Posted advertisement on dating site that is mostly for sex-contacts. I almost never reply, 20 or so, but all I responded to were real. In 6 months I got 13.493 requests. i don't have the time for that but it's kinda cool.

I just realized that any girl who comes over to my new apartment is going to think I am crazy when she sees the number of nightsticks and knives I have all over every room. Most people just don't understand true love when they see it.

Quote Originally Posted by Fragony View Post
    Should I get the PS4 or get a Wii-u, or a even a Steambox or Ouya. I only want one device and the good old ps3 is coughing up blood after 7 years of loyal service, I hate looking at cables so more than one device is not an option. So which one
    Go retro. Get an N64.
    Blessed be the LORD my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight: Psalm 144:1

In peace there's nothing so becomes a man
    As modest stillness and humility:
    But when the blast of war blows in our ears,
    Then imitate the action of the tiger;
    -Henry V by William Shakespeare

Quote Originally Posted by Vuk View Post
    Definition of creepy:
    I just moved into a really bad part of town, and in the month I have been here there have been a string of crimes (half of them violent) within five blocks of where I live. My landlord actually asked me if I had a gun, and told me that if I didn't he would 'give' me one. Is it just me, or is that a really random, creepy thing for someone to just bring up out of the blue. Guns cost a lot of money, and there are liability issues at stake. Who just gives away a gun to a random person lodging in their building? I turned him down, but am amply creeped out. (I wouldn't need his gun anyway, as I could wallpaper my apartment with the guns I left behind at my parent's farm. :P
    We routinely get police in my neighborhood, just had the SWAT teams down the street not too long ago. Police at the security door of our apartment building are nothing novel, either, and they always go to the same apartment, one of the ones below us. No matter who lives in that one, over the past ten years it is always that one they go to. We also live in one of the worser parts of the city, so that explains that. As my mom says, we don't need to watch cop shows on TV, we just look out our window.
    Blessed be the LORD my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight: Psalm 144:1

Quote Originally Posted by Vincent Butler View Post
    Go retro. Get an N64.
    Got me the WiiU, retro with amazing graphics, and the entire Wii library, great little console. I have yet to see anything on the ps4 or xbone that has better visuals than Mario-Kart

Oh yay. Eye is turning out fine. You just know something is wrong when you wake up on a bloodssoaked pillow and realise it came out of your eye. That's not very good at all probably. I am NOT going to buy that bacteria a beer, it's not your home it's my eye ffs. Get it? Got to take the heavy antibiotica till thursday and that stuff isn't very fun, after that only one drop a day.

Kudo's to all the nice people who were very nice to an obviously terrified me. They won't get away with the excellent treatment without getting a pie and flowers, a pie for an eye Who said it that the healthcare is bad here, I want to hit him.

No not you, other forum
    Last edited by Fragony; 09-23-2014 at 13:47.

Quote Originally Posted by Fragony View Post
    Got me the WiiU, retro with amazing graphics, and the entire Wii library, great little console. I have yet to see anything on the ps4 or xbone that has better visuals than Mario-Kart
    Heh heh, can't beat Mario Kart. I downloaded an emulator for NES, SNES, and N64 onto my laptop, I have MarioKart for the SNES, and will probably download it for N64. As if I didn't have more important stuff to do...

It must be dangerous for lawyers to iron pants. They'd always have one hand in a pocket. -Dogbert

I am working 20 hours of overtime a week now, which is great because it helps pay bills. It sucks though because my it is very hard on my body. It also sucks because I have only got one day off (today) in over two weeks and have had no chance to clean my apartment. Now that I have a day off, I am so worn out that I just want to sit in my comfy chair and watch TV/write my story, but my entire apartment looks like a tornado went through it. Should my first day off in two weeks be just another work day? Should I just be content living in a pig pen? I know I gotta get off my ass and spend today cleaning my apartment, but it is so darned hard to do right now.

On a dare I just mashed up five bananas, mixed in two diced onions, covered it in chocolate syrup, and ate the entire thing in under 10 minutes. Disgusting, but I got 20 bucks and proved a point. ;)

Hospital time, I got a very cool doctor. She doesn't walk through a door she walks right through them. I told her she should be a little kinder to the poor thing. 'Would you prefer it if I unleash it on my patients instead'.

better not.

Goodbye antibiotica, goodbye dizzyness. It has been emotional.

Members thankful for this post (2):

Finally a day off, and I am called into work to cover a 2 hour shift. A 2-freaking hour shift?! WTH! They could not have asked someone to stay later or come in earlier? Or maybe just gone without for 2 hours. The bastards were having me go over two weeks without a day off, working 30 hours of overtime, and they just ruined my day off for a 2 hour shift. I really wish I could just slap my bosses some times.

Mr Self Important Senior Member Beskar's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Don't answer the phone, Vuk, then you cannot get called in.
    Days since the Apocalypse began
    "We are living in space-age times but there's too many of us thinking with stone-age minds" | How to spot a Humanist
    "Men of Quality do not fear Equality." | "Belief doesn't change facts. Facts, if you are reasonable, should change your beliefs."

Quote Originally Posted by Tiaexz View Post
    Don't answer the phone, Vuk, then you cannot get called in.
    I am curious as to what kind of boss is willing to actually give overtime since a lot of companies don't like giving out that extra pay.

Quote Originally Posted by a completely inoffensive name View Post
    I am curious as to what kind of boss is willing to actually give overtime since a lot of companies don't like giving out that extra pay.
    I got a job building trusses at the beginning of this summer. Since summer is the busiest time of year for construction we got a lot of overtime in June and July, for a few weeks we worked 9 or 10 hours Monday through Friday and then 6 hours on Saturday. The bosses had to give us overtime in order to get the jobs done on schedule, and the whole time they were always telling us we weren't working fast enough.
    Last edited by Tuuvi; 09-30-2014 at 02:05.

To those of a religious inclination, your prayers would be appreciated. Had some really bad news, and I'd really like for everything to turn out well.

Well, I was just fired. I left my family and everything I knew to help this company move up to this city and open some stores here, and I have busted my ass and put the company first every step of the way. My mistake? When the district leader up here was acting like an unethical, unprofessional douchebag and allowing the management under him to treat our new coworkers in a way completely opposite to our company's core values, I spoke to employees about it, documented several instances, and then reported him. Apparently that constitutes spreading gossip in the workplace and behaving in an unprofessional manner. You would expect HR to have my back when I risk my job to help the company and its employees, right? No, they threw me to the wolves.
    Never at anytime in my entire life did I even contemplate that I could be fired, now I will have to live with that the rest of my life. I am a model employee, I work my ass off, come in sick, never miss a day, always follow policy to the letter and make sure that others do as well, answer the phone at any time of the night and come in, am always honest and ethical, etc. When I was first told that my district leader and HR agreed that "it would be in both of our best interests if we ended our partnership immediately". I was in such a state of shock and disbelief that I spent all yesterday laying in bed, sweating and shaking. I ate nothing and drank very little. I finally got up and called HR and tried to appeal, and just now found out it is definite. I actually felt relieved just to know for sure and have all that doubt off my shoulders after two days of pure torture.
    No I have to try to find a job, with a termination on my record in a place where I know no one. I got deep in debt coming up here and was barely paying rent as it was. I gave the last year and a half of my life to that company, putting it about everything, including my social life and my health. I still haven't told my family, or anyone back home, and I don't know how I will be able to. Right now I am too full of shame to even go into the stores and face the people I used to work with to ask some of them for character references.
    How is it possible to be such a good employee, and still get fired? Fucking corporate bullshit; brass covering brass.
    I am giving myself tonight to finish getting adequately drunk, then in the morning I am off to collect references and start the nerve-wracking process of looking for a job all over again...this time right off of a termination. Please do pray if you feel inclined. I would appreciate any help I can get right now.

Tell your family, ask for references, establish lines of support for yourself. Don't let pride or shame keep you from getting help out of a shitty situation. Next time, remember that HR is not there to look out for the workers, it is there to look out for the company and when you began organizing workers and documenting cases it scared them. I don't know the specifics so I really have no idea if your actions were justified, but you obviously hold yourself to a rigid moral standard. Getting fired is not the end of the world, I have never been fired, but as far as I am concerned if future interviewers don't ask why should you tell them?

I'm not a praying person, but I will keep you in mind and hope that things turn out better.

I am sorry Vuk, that really sucks.

Mr Self Important Senior Member Beskar's Avatar
    Blog Entries

You basically just tried to set-up your personal Trade Union, Vuk. Corporations don't like the employees thinking for themselves, and you just discovered this the hard way. I hope you find somewhere else soon.
    Days since the Apocalypse began
    "We are living in space-age times but there's too many of us thinking with stone-age minds" | How to spot a Humanist
    "Men of Quality do not fear Equality." | "Belief doesn't change facts. Facts, if you are reasonable, should change your beliefs."

Ive been fired before, and it sucks. I truly feel for you Vuk, good luck on the job hunt! Remember to keep friends and family around you who support you, its always best to surround yourself with people who care in hard times.
    Visited:
    Hvil i fred HoreTore

Quote Originally Posted by a completely inoffensive name View Post
    Tell your family, ask for references, establish lines of support for yourself. Don't let pride or shame keep you from getting help out of a shitty situation. Next time, remember that HR is not there to look out for the workers, it is there to look out for the company and when you began organizing workers and documenting cases it scared them. I don't know the specifics so I really have no idea if your actions were justified, but you obviously hold yourself to a rigid moral standard. Getting fired is not the end of the world, I have never been fired, but as far as I am concerned if future interviewers don't ask why should you tell them?

I'm not a praying person, but I will keep you in mind and hope that things turn out better.
    Well, I went there to ask for references from my direct co-workers/bosses who have a really good opinion of me, and I was told that my district leader said that I am not allowed to talk to any employees, and they could risk termination for talking to me. lol So yeah, I am pretty much shafted. That shit aught to be illegal. I cannot even get a good reference from good people who know I am a good worker now.

Quote Originally Posted by Tiaexz View Post
    You basically just tried to set-up your personal Trade Union, Vuk. Corporations don't like the employees thinking for themselves, and you just discovered this the hard way. I hope you find somewhere else soon.
    No, I didn't. I just wanted people to give me their stories so we could go up the ladder and report it to the appropriate people in the company. No demands, no real organization. Just didn't want an unethical bully running his own little private kingdom up here that completely contradicts the core values and practices of the company as a whole. It is a good, family owned company, and one I took a lot of pride in being a leader at. The problem is that it is growing so fast that it is becoming full of cutthroat, corporate, carrion birds who are filling all the bureaucratic positions. It is a company with a good legacy that deserves better. My brother is still employeed in a leadership position in Central Wisconsin where I come from. He has been seeing the same thing: a good company going farther and farther away from its founding values as its founding leader loses more and more control and his business school educated kids and grandkids take over.
    But no, I was not trying to form anything like a union. I was looking out as much for the company as the coworkers. I guess they just did not see it that way.

Quote Originally Posted by Hooahguy View Post
    Ive been fired before, and it sucks. I truly feel for you Vuk, good luck on the job hunt! Remember to keep friends and family around you who support you, its always best to surround yourself with people who care in hard times.
    I haven't told my family or friends yet, and probably won't till I get another job. For one, my ma is pretty old and having all sorts of heart troubles. She does not need my stress and worries to be added on to hers. If I tell anyone, I know it will get back to her. The only people I think I am going to tell is my brother who still works for the company (because he will find out anyway) and my married brother because he was fired before and knows what it is like. I think I can trust them to keep it a secret till I am back on my feet.

Quote Originally Posted by Hooahguy View Post
    Can I ask you Hooah, did you have a hard time finding work after that?

Well so my last job before my current job was working for a handyman. He was kind of a massive jerk so I really didnt mind being fired for his imaginary accusations of purposely getting in the way of work (a ridiculous charge). I was unemployed for a week before a friend put in a good word for me at the company he worked at, so for about six weeks I did scut work. It paid well though and I liked who I worked with. Then I went to Norway for seven weeks. There was no guarantee I would have a job when I got back, but I was asked to apply back anyways. So when I got back I did, but they said the current summer interns were enough so I was jobless for a month and a half. I looked for other work but came up with nothing. Then finally I got a call back at the end of July from my former boss at the company I used to work for and she asked if I could begin after the first week of August. I happily accepted the job offer, and Ive been working for that company ever since. Its still mostly scut work but I like the people I work with and its a great work environment (we get to drink beer at work that the company provides for free) so Im rather happy where I am right now and i feel rather lucky.

I can only hope that you have as much luck as I did.
    Visited:
    Hvil i fred HoreTore

Vuk 

Page 29 of 67 FirstFirst ... 1925262728293031323339 ... LastLast