Page 50 of 67 FirstFirst ... 4046474849505152535460 ... LastLast
Results 1,471 to 1,500 of 1996

Thread: Random Thoughts Thread

master of the pwniverse Member Fragony's Avatar

Default Re: Random Thoughts Thread

This sucks, went to the dentist and I have this disease that could cause me to lose all my teeth. Disease can't be cured and I might need to replace everything and that is very painfull and costly and I can't afford/handle that because finances aren't doing very well atm. Mommy already said she will pay it if it's necesary but ffs I am 37 and I need my mommy to fix this shit, I should be able to fix shit for her instead. Thanks mommy where would I be without you. Shame on me.
    Last edited by Fragony; 09-29-2016 at 06:22.

Stranger in a strange land Moderator Hooahguy's Avatar

Well on the plus side if you got all fake teeth you would probably save money on toothpaste?
    That sucks though, Im sorry.
    On the Path to the Streets of Gold: a Suebi AAR
    Visited:
    A man who casts no shadow has no soul.
    Hvil i fred HoreTore

Well on the plus side if you got all fake teeth you would probably save money on toothpaste?
    Bad idea if you cherish your gums and mouth.
    Vitiate Man.

History repeats the old conceits
    The glib replies, the same defeats

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Quote Originally Posted by Hooahguy View Post
    That sucks though, Im sorry.
    Gracias. The front rows can probably be saved fortunatly

Quote Originally Posted by Montmorency View Post
    Bad idea if you cherish your gums and mouth.
    Oh right I forgot about those. Nothing that a bit of mouthwash couldnt fix right?
    Visited:
    Hvil i fred HoreTore

In a series of studies, Professor Stanovich and colleagues had large samples of subjects (usually several hundred) complete judgment tests like the Linda problem, as well as an I.Q. test. The major finding was that irrationality — or what Professor Stanovich called “dysrationalia” — correlates relatively weakly with I.Q. A person with a high I.Q. is about as likely to suffer from dysrationalia as a person with a low I.Q. In a 2008 study, Professor Stanovich and colleagues gave subjects the Linda problem and found that those with a high I.Q. were, if anything, more prone to the conjunction fallacy.

Based on this evidence, Professor Stanovich and colleagues have introduced the concept of the rationality quotient, or R.Q. If an I.Q. test measures something like raw intellectual horsepower (abstract reasoning and verbal ability), a test of R.Q. would measure the propensity for reflective thought — stepping back from your own thinking and correcting its faulty tendencies.
    http://www.nytimes.com/2016/09/18/op...elligence.html

I anticipate that RQ and IQ are far from equivalent, but an almost nonexistent correlation would not be expected.
    Runes for good luck:

[1 - exp(i*2π)]^-1

I take issue with the equivocal use of set theory in the Linda problem.

It is given as a problem in which one answer should be treated as a subset of the other, but in fact it would make sense to treat them as intersections, meaning the probabilities are not per se limited.

For example:

A. Viking is a human.
    B. Viking is a human and mortal.

Which is likelier?

If you leave aside the interpretation that human entails mortal, then we can go on to say that human need not be a subset of mortal, nor vice-versa.

So for all your notions of rationality you might as well deliver that there is no concrete answer to the Linda problem because probabilities of that sort are incalculable, if not outright invalid in their construction. Funny that Kahneman was behind this.
    Vitiate Man.

Member thankful for this post:

Husar 

I don't get your objection. Why shouldn't P(A) ≥ P(A ∧ B) for any choice of A and B?
    Last edited by Viking; 10-08-2016 at 22:18.
    Runes for good luck:

[1 - exp(i*2π)]^-1

Because they are independent.

For example: If I have 6 marbles, which is more probable?

A. I have 3 black marbles.
    B. I have 3 black marbles and 3 red marbles.
    Vitiate Man.

Husar 

Or:

I have at least one child. Which is likelier?

A. I have a son.
    B. I have a son and a daughter.

The P(A) is not a component of P(B) or vice versa, at least not in just logical terms.

For example, in a real distribution perhaps P(A) is .25 while P(B) is .30, because people who have children are likelier to have 2 children than just one. A and B are separate events; B is not a subset of A.
    Vitiate Man.

Husar 

For example, in a real distribution perhaps P(A) is .25 while P(B) is .30, because people who have children are likelier to have 2 children than just one. A and B are separate events; B is not a subset of A.
    But now you have implicitly changed the definition of A to be "I have only a son". If you have a son and a daughter, you also have a son.

If you mean that A can be interpreted both ways, then I get your objection.
    Runes for good luck:

[1 - exp(i*2π)]^-1

Viking is much much more likely as they still live in valhalla, viking comes from old Norsk meanin 'vikinger' old Norsk, anyways you are cheating on probabilty Montmorency, and no I am not going to say why
    Last edited by Fragony; 10-09-2016 at 10:36.

If you mean that A can be interpreted both ways, then I get your objection.
    Yes, if against common human experience you were to structure the question such that A implicitly includes B by your private interpretation, then that is not a matter of probabilities any longer but of word games, which trivializes the whole study. That's the sort of thing annoying people do for fun at dinner parties.
    Vitiate Man.

Husar 

Good friend is of to rehab, he does sp voluntary. It's necesary but I am really going to miss him. Regime is really harsh only direct family is allowed to visit. Heard it is a really nice place though, good food, plenty of activities, big garden. You are still locked though. I don't think he's going stay clean after he's done it has been part of his life for 20 years he will get bored.

Cats have the most odd habits. When I take my morning dump she completily falls in love with me and curls up on my lap.I have no idea why.

Dalston vigilantes are pursuing a campaign of intimidation, violence and gratuitous dismemberment against members of the public they suspect of being behind the ‘creepy clown’ phenomenon.

The smouldering remains of Tommy Tootles, a much loved children’s entertainer, were found all over the place this morning, just yards from where, last Saturday, the actor who plays Mr Tumble was subjected to a savage critique of his performance in the 2015 CBBC pantomime.

Mr Bob Cartwright, who cannot be named for legal reasons, was set upon by a gang of men wielding cricket bats and a frozen leg of lamb as he was passing the Clement Attlee Estate last night.

He told the Mercury: ‘They just came out of nowhere shouting ‘nonce’ and ‘stay away from our kiddies you Grimaldi-esque pervert’. Then they beat the crap out of me and ran away yelling ‘down with the Commedia dell’arte and that’.

‘I wouldn’t care, but I’m not even a clown. I’ve just got big feet.’

We did check, and Mr Cartwright does have really big feet, plus slightly mad hair. But he still insists he is not a clown.

‘I’m not a bloody clown, you tit,’ he said.

Reports of people being beaten up for wearing bow ties are up 30% on the year, as are attacks on people driving really small cars.

Unicycle riders have also been targeted, leaving over 4000 Dalston hipsters with life-threatening injuries, although there are so many excellent reasons to beat up an adult riding a unicycle in a public place that no one is sure whether these assaults are clown-related.

Dalston police have advised anyone with a cold to stay at home because ‘having a red nose during the current coulrophobia-driven orgy of violence could get you a right battering, and no mistake.’

We asked the police if it was acceptable to assault any children’s entertainers at all, but they said ‘No. Only Noel Edmonds. Timmy Mallett at a pinch, but definitely Noel Edmonds.’
    https://dalstonmercury.wordpress.com/

There are times I wish they’d just ban everything- baccy and beer, burgers and bangers, and all the rest- once and for all. Instead, they creep forward one apparently tiny step at a time. It’s like being executed with a bacon slicer.

“Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy.”

To learn who rules over you, simply find out who you are not allowed to criticise.

"The purpose of a university education for Left / Liberals is to attain all the politically correct attitudes towards minorties, and the financial means to live as far away from them as possible."

Im gonna be an uncle!
    Visited:
    Hvil i fred HoreTore

Members thankful for this post (6):

Awesome, just got word that my mates daughter won the thai-box world-championship, again. She wins everyting he needs a bigger shelve. What makes so funny is that she's a really shy and soft-spoken girl
    Last edited by Fragony; 10-16-2016 at 06:17.

Thats really cool!
    Visited:
    Hvil i fred HoreTore

Quote Originally Posted by Hooahguy View Post
    Thats really cool!
    Yes it is, it aren't just two world championships she won but also two european ones and a few opens. She wins everything it's crazy. on tops it was her 13th brthday. She's known as hitgirl, real name Lucienna

edit, her mom is coolas well she's the dj https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zbmGv9OZ1PQ
    Last edited by Fragony; 10-16-2016 at 16:16.

So she has accomplished more in 13 years than I have in over 20 years. Gotcha
    Visited:
    Hvil i fred HoreTore

She's going to highschool next year, already laughing my ass of, she is likely to be picked upon because she's so shy. That's going to be really funny.

Names that makes you suspect someone never wanted kids

For a boy: Damien, who would still call his son Damian, reason is obvious
    For a girl: Tiffany, everybody will assume she is a slut and they are probably right

It's cruel.

add your suspicion.

Misrepresentative of the source, but these lines need to be saved for future:

"Neural networks are to actual neurons what astrology is to astronomy."

"Any semblance of intelligence that emerges from AI applications will only be in the eye of the beholder."
    Vitiate Man.

Misrepresentative of the source, but these lines need to be saved for future:

"Neural networks are to actual neurons what astrology is to astronomy."

"Any semblance of intelligence that emerges from AI applications will only be in the eye of the beholder."
    That sounds a bit like "No one will ever need more than 640k of memory", which, as I heard, was also misrepresentative of what was actually meant.

"Topic is tired and needs a nap." - Tosa Inu

That's a hoax quote, but a better comparison would be to "You can't keep your furniture on your hard drive", which hopefully no one ever needed to be told.
    Vitiate Man.

That's a hoax quote, but a better comparison would be to "You can't keep your furniture on your hard drive", which hopefully no one ever needed to be told.
    Ah, yes, fully made up, must have mixed something up.
    Not sure about the furniture one, or how it relates to the others. Are you saying in the future it may be possible to keep furniture on your harddrive because matter is energy and energy is basically just information or something like that?

No, the idea being that thinking that a hard drive will allow you to store things other than what is exactly designed to be stored on a hard drive completely misunderstands the technology and the underlying physical principles.
    Vitiate Man.

No, the idea being that thinking that a hard drive will allow you to store things other than what is exactly designed to be stored on a hard drive completely misunderstands the technology and the underlying physical principles.
    I'm not sure though whether the idea that artificial neural networks could one day be as good as biological ones is that crazy.

What sounds like a lack of understanding to me is calling them "neural networks" and "actual neurons", because to my understanding, "actual neurons" only work really well in a "neural network". If that's what you mean then I understand you, but your quote is also a bit off given that the quoted person is not the one making the mistake there.

If neurons act as a neural network, then a computer software designed for certain tasks and using select characteristics of some neurons will not behave as a "real" neural network.

Lightbulb technology will never be "as good as" a sun when it comes to generating light, both because that's an inherent technological constraint and because the design of a lightbulb, being made for specific purposes, is very far from the design of a star.
    Vitiate Man.

Page 50 of 67 FirstFirst ... 4046474849505152535460 ... LastLast