Page 59 of 67 FirstFirst ... 949555657585960616263 ... LastLast
Results 1,741 to 1,770 of 1996

Thread: Random Thoughts Thread

Default Re: Random Thoughts Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Vincent Butler View Post
    If the plural of goose is geese, is the plural of moose, meese?
    A question I've had for years:

If the plural of mouse is mice, why isn't the plural of house hice?

"Topic is tired and needs a nap." - Tosa Inu

Quote Originally Posted by Csargo View Post
    https://blog.oxforddictionaries.com/...l-moose-meese/

tl;dr version is it entered the English language a few hundred years after the Old English changes of words like goose/geese.
    Quote Originally Posted by Husar View Post
    A question I've had for years:

If the plural of mouse is mice, why isn't the plural of house hice?
    From the OED:

OE. gós (pl. gés)
    Narragansett moos (= Abenaki mus, Penobscot muns)

Moose is not a native English, or even (Indo)European word.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Vowel_Shift

OE. mús fem. (pl. mýs)
    The word for mouse used to sound like modern "moose", before u → ɑʊ.

Same with the word for house: OE. hús

The plural was in OE. hús, in 12th c. husas, huses, from 14th c. houses; also in various writers from c 1550, and still dialectally, housen, which is sometimes collective.
    So why don't "mouse" and "house" have the same plural?

Well, in the case of the modern computer peripheral they can.

But actually in Old English the plurals of the two words were different to start, as you see above.

For "mice" it seems to go back to Proto-Germanic:

As a specific instance of this, in prehistoric Old English, a certain class of nouns was marked by an /i/ suffix in the (nominative) plural, but had no suffix in the (nominative) singular. A word like /muːs/ "mouse", for example, had a plural /muːsi/ "mice". After umlaut, the plural became pronounced [myːsi], where the long back vowel /uː/ was fronted, producing a new subphonemic front-rounded vowel [yː], which serves as a secondary indicator of plurality. Subsequent loss of final /i/, however, made /yː/ a phoneme and the primary indicator of plurality, leading to a distinction between /muːs/ "mouse" and /myːs/ "mice". In this case, the lost sound /i/ left a trace in the presence of /yː/; or equivalently, the distinction between singular and plural, formerly expressed through a suffix /i/, has been re-expressed using a different feature, namely the front-back distinction of the main vowel. This distinction survives in the modern forms "mouse" /maʊs/ and "mice" /maɪs/, although the specifics have been modified by the Great Vowel Shift.
    Then what about house? As you see above, in Old English the singular and plural were identical. It's just that over time people added on the generic "-(e/a)s" English plural to help differentiate.
    Last edited by Montmorency; 11-19-2017 at 01:01.
    Vitiate Man.

History repeats the old conceits
    The glib replies, the same defeats

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Stranger in a strange land Moderator Hooahguy's Avatar

I always liked calling them moosi.
    On the Path to the Streets of Gold: a Suebi AAR
    Visited:
    A man who casts no shadow has no soul.
    Hvil i fred HoreTore

master of the pwniverse Member Fragony's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Montmorency View Post
    From the OED:

OE. gós (pl. gés)
    Narragansett moos (= Abenaki mus, Penobscot muns)

Moose is not a native English, or even (Indo)European word.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Vowel_Shift

OE. mús fem. (pl. mýs)
    The word for mouse used to sound like modern "moose", before u → ɑʊ.

Same with the word for house: OE. hús

So why don't "mouse" and "house" have the same plural?

Well, in the case of the modern computer peripheral they can.

But actually in Old English the plurals of the two words were different to start, as you see above.

For "mice" it seems to go back to Proto-Germanic:

Then what about house? As you see above, in Old English the singular and plural were identical. It's just that over time people added on the generic "-(e/a)s" English plural to help differentiate.
    Maybe people just didn't assume one has more then one house for a straighr plural to exist, with mice you do. Language is easy untill you start thinking about it, despite screwing up I can speak a few pretty decently for common use of them, not good but I get by. I naturally adopt these these things I think, it somehow makes sense
    Last edited by Fragony; 11-19-2017 at 16:22.

Fun fact, in ancient Greek, mouse is called as μῦς (mys). Now, I suck at linguistics and I didn't even bother to check it out, but I guess there is probably a common Indo-European root for the Germanic and Greek versions.

Ancient Greek and Latin are pretty similar, nobody really knows how they should be pronounced but they were probably pretty close to modern Germanic languages, some miscommunications led to phonetic hints, ceaser was probably pronounced as kaisar for example. There is an absolute lack of written down music from that period that should get us very far but there little to go on

Are you sure about the uncertainty argument? As far as I know, there are even academics who sing the epic of Gilgamesh, despite the fact that Akkadian are more obscure than Greek or Latin.

At least in the Hellenistic period, the pronunciation of ancient Greek was similar to the modern version. An easy way, even for a non-expert, to notice this is the epigraphic and papyrological evidence.

Spelling mistakes increase dramatically, because the engravers and scribes, who weren't always very talented at grammar, couldn't discern the difference between υ, ι, η, ει, and oι or between ο and ω or between ε and αι.
    Τhey sounded the same since the times of Seleucus, a fact that has created enormous problems for Greek pupils for 2.300 years.
    Go to Facebook, follow Golden Dawn accounts who gloat about their links to Pericles and you will observe the exact same mistakes.

I was supposed to have an interview at 10:00 this morning on Skype. My power randomly went out at 9:40. Just my luck. I rescheduled it for Wednesday though. Pretty bummed, this is my third interview with this company in DC and I was really looking forward to getting through it. This interview was to be with the team I would be working with. I'm trying not to get my hopes up too high, I've been burned before.
    Visited:
    Hvil i fred HoreTore

Praefectus Fabrum Senior Member Anime BlackJack Champion, Flash Poker Champion, Word Up Champion, Shape Game Champion, Snake Shooter Champion, Fishwater Challenge Champion, Rocket Racer MX Champion, Jukebox Hero Champion, My House Is Bigger Than Your House Champion, Funky Pong Champion, Cutie Quake Champion, Fling The Cow Champion, Tiger Punch Champion, Virus Champion, Solitaire Champion, Worm Race Champion, Rope Walker Champion, Penguin Pass Champion, Skate Park Champion, Watch Out Champion, Lawn Pac Champion, Weapons Of Mass Destruction Champion, Skate Boarder Champion, Lane Bowling Champion, Bugz Champion, Makai Grand Prix 2 Champion, White Van Man Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, BlackJack Champion, Stans Ski Jumping Champion, Smaugs Treasure Champion, Sofa Longjump Champion Seamus Fermanagh's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hooahguy View Post
    I was supposed to have an interview at 10:00 this morning on Skype. My power randomly went out at 9:40. Just my luck. I rescheduled it for Wednesday though. Pretty bummed, this is my third interview with this company in DC and I was really looking forward to getting through it. This interview was to be with the team I would be working with. I'm trying not to get my hopes up too high, I've been burned before.
    Most important interview of the set. These are the folk you will be "married" to at work. I love it when companies allow this type of interview, bespeaks a good interest in work group communication climate.
    "The only way that has ever been discovered to have a lot of people cooperate together voluntarily is through the free market. And that's why it's so essential to preserving individual freedom.” -- Milton Friedman

"The urge to save humanity is almost always a false front for the urge to rule." -- H. L. Mencken

Quote Originally Posted by Seamus Fermanagh View Post
    Most important interview of the set. These are the folk you will be "married" to at work. I love it when companies allow this type of interview, bespeaks a good interest in work group communication climate.
    Oh gosh, now this makes me even more nervous. Any tips?
    Visited:
    Hvil i fred HoreTore

Praefectus Fabrum Senior Member Anime BlackJack Champion, Flash Poker Champion, Word Up Champion, Shape Game Champion, Snake Shooter Champion, Fishwater Challenge Champion, Rocket Racer MX Champion, Jukebox Hero Champion, My House Is Bigger Than Your House Champion, Funky Pong Champion, Cutie Quake Champion, Fling The Cow Champion, Tiger Punch Champion, Virus Champion, Solitaire Champion, Worm Race Champion, Rope Walker Champion, Penguin Pass Champion, Skate Park Champion, Watch Out Champion, Lawn Pac Champion, Weapons Of Mass Destruction Champion, Skate Boarder Champion, Lane Bowling Champion, Bugz Champion, Makai Grand Prix 2 Champion, White Van Man Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, BlackJack Champion, Stans Ski Jumping Champion, Smaugs Treasure Champion, Sofa Longjump Champion Seamus Fermanagh's Avatar

Oh gosh, now this makes me even more nervous. Any tips?
    Actually, this is the one where you want to be yourself as much as possible. The whole point is to not get stuck in with a crew you loathe. 50+ hour weeks with people you cannot stand will have you leaving the job or bounced from in in sheer frustration.

You've never been a jackhole here or in the backroom, so I think you'll do just fine.
    "The only way that has ever been discovered to have a lot of people cooperate together voluntarily is through the free market. And that's why it's so essential to preserving individual freedom.” -- Milton Friedman

"The urge to save humanity is almost always a false front for the urge to rule." -- H. L. Mencken

Member thankful for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Crandar View Post
    Are you sure about the uncertainty argument? As far as I know, there are even academics who sing the epic of Gilgamesh, despite the fact that Akkadian are more obscure than Greek or Latin.

At least in the Hellenistic period, the pronunciation of ancient Greek was similar to the modern version. An easy way, even for a non-expert, to notice this is the epigraphic and papyrological evidence.

Spelling mistakes increase dramatically, because the engravers and scribes, who weren't always very talented at grammar, couldn't discern the difference between υ, ι, η, ει, and oι or between ο and ω or between ε and αι.
    Τhey sounded the same since the times of Seleucus, a fact that has created enormous problems for Greek pupils for 2.300 years.
    Go to Facebook, follow Golden Dawn accounts who gloat about their links to Pericles and you will observe the exact same mistakes.
    I am quite sure about pronouncation being a mystery or at least mostly, never heard about the epic of Gilgamesh being sung maybe that is possible I guess but not just my guess, theirs as well, it's not a song it's poem with no melody I know of, but if they think there is power to them, I won't say they are full of it because I never heard of this before.

Spelling mistakes meh, make them all the time, I stopped trying to not make them, make more if I try not to make them
    Last edited by Fragony; 11-20-2017 at 20:11.

Quote Originally Posted by Crandar View Post

IIRC there is textual evidence from Late Antiquity (for Greek and Latin) where authors explicitly discuss how certain words or letters are supposed to sound, or more typically what mistakes they perceive there to be in contemporary pronunciation or spelling.

Also, across time and place we've dug up instructional tablets used in paideia.
    Vitiate Man.

Quote Originally Posted by Montmorency View Post
    IIRC there is textual evidence from Late Antiquity (for Greek and Latin) where authors explicitly discuss how certain words or letters are supposed to sound, or more typically what mistakes they perceive there to be in contemporary pronunciation or spelling.
    Yes that's true

Actually, this is the one where you want to be yourself as much as possible. The whole point is to not get stuck in with a crew you loathe. 50+ hour weeks with people you cannot stand will have you leaving the job or bounced from in in sheer frustration.

You've never been a jackhole here or in the backroom, so I think you'll do just fine.
    So the interview was yesterday and I have no clue how I did. I feel ok about the interview. Skype didnt really work for some reason, so it turned into a phone call. Some of my answers I feel could have been better. Made sure to send everyone on the call a thank you email, and they said I would hear back by next week. The wait is the hardest thing.
    Visited:
    Hvil i fred HoreTore

So the interview was yesterday and I have no clue how I did. I feel ok about the interview. Skype didnt really work for some reason, so it turned into a phone call. Some of my answers I feel could have been better. Made sure to send everyone on the call a thank you email, and they said I would hear back by next week. The wait is the hardest thing.
    Always. I don't know how easy on the eyes you are, so maybe the phone only was good?

j/k I am sure you did fine.

I also made sure to do my research and ask questions about the organization and some of the things I would be doing so I hope that gives me an edge. Im resisting contacting my references again to see if they were contacted because I know that would turn me into a nervous wreck.
    Visited:
    Hvil i fred HoreTore

I also made sure to do my research and ask questions about the organization and some of the things I would be doing so I hope that gives me an edge. Im resisting contacting my references again to see if they were contacted because I know that would turn me into a nervous wreck.
    Desiderata time Hooah. You have done what you can and done it well. Relax, and start prepping for the next interview sequence elsewhere.

(That's not a judgement on how you did with this interview sequence, only simple practicality}.

Meh how did I screw this up, good friend keeps visiting me but she's not mine and she should be really, there's something not quie right with the universe and surroundings. I am still a bit in love with her I guess

Quote Originally Posted by Fragony View Post
    Meh how did I screw this up, good friend keeps visiting me but she's not mine and she should be really, there's something not quie right with the universe and surroundings. I am still a bit in love with her I guess
    This is really a rather simple* problem Frags. You know the solution choices already -- you have but to pay the price/take the risk or not.

*alluding to Clauswitz. "Simple" in concept is not necessarily easy to achieve.

The best feeling in life is surprise. The realization, the confrontation, the distraction, of alarm, joy, fear: that very moment of unison.
    Vitiate Man.

This is really a rather simple* problem Frags. You know the solution choices already -- you have but to pay the price/take the risk or not.

*alluding to Clauswitz. "Simple" in concept is not necessarily easy to achieve.
    Not going to undertake anything, good female friends who are just that are something to cherish

Not going to undertake anything, good female friends who are just that are something to cherish
    Are you aware your sig photo has lapsed? Are you maintaining the "please update" as a sort of reverse signature concept?

Are you aware your sig photo has lapsed? Are you maintaining the "please update" as a sort of reverse signature concept?
    It shows up for me, but the issue could be related to the upgrade to https that therother performed:

https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showt...-Major-upgrade

You might want to let him know if the issue persists.

I don't have a sig what do you see? I see nothing
    Last edited by Fragony; 11-26-2017 at 20:19.

Oh, I misread, thought about avatars somehow. There is a spoiler in your signature and inside it is a placeholder for a missing picture.

No there isn't, I don't undestand

No there isn't, I don't undestand
    Do you perhaps have signatures turned off or a skin that doesn't show them?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Fragnature.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	182.8 KB 
ID:	20209

Fragony, he means the image inside the spoiler. It was an imageshack picture that got purged, once the site decided that hosting would require a monthly subscription. Quite the dick move.
    However, what is this photo above Fragony's avatar? I can't see anything similar, neither above Fragony's avatar nor above anyone else's. I'm intrigued.

That's me it's my face, don't know why that shows up, must have some things disabled i don't see that here

How do edit that? Can't find any options
    Last edited by Fragony; 11-27-2017 at 03:50.

Page 59 of 67 FirstFirst ... 949555657585960616263 ... LastLast